Subwoofer for Vandersteen Model 5 Carbon - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By tyree91

post #1 of 6 Old 06-22-2019, 05:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Subwoofer for Vandersteen Model 5 Carbon

Looking for more subwoofer performance for home theater with the Vandersteen Model 5. I know Vandersteen has their Sub 9 and the new model 3 subwoofer but they seem expensive for the power. What about something like a pair of SVS SB-16s or similar? Seem like a far better value for home theater use. I got a deal on the used model 5 pair, so no, I'm not the person spending anywhere close to a six figure home theater and music system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-13-2019, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr645 View Post
Looking for more subwoofer performance for home theater with the Vandersteen Model 5. I know Vandersteen has their Sub 9 and the new model 3 subwoofer but they seem expensive for the power. What about something like a pair of SVS SB-16s or similar? Seem like a far better value for home theater use. I got a deal on the used model 5 pair, so no, I'm not the person spending anywhere close to a six figure home theater and music system.

Do you just want them for Home Theater, or music too?
post #3 of 6 Old 07-13-2019, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyree91 View Post
Do you just want them for Home Theater, or music too?
Mostly Home theater, movies. I mean I would not mind if they could enhance musical performance but I am pretty happy with the built in subs I have already.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 07-14-2019, 06:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Mostly Home theater, movies. I mean I would not mind if they could enhance musical performance but I am pretty happy with the built in subs I have already.

What Processor are you running? Do you use it for music too?

I think 2 EA.- SVS SB-16s would be terrific.
I'm running 3 EA.- SVS PB 13 Ultras with Vandersteen 7s (Theater only.) I'm using Dirac via a Theta CB IV. It balances the room real well.
If you want to go for the real deal get the Subs from the System 9, or look at JL Audio's Sub offerings.
Norm
post #5 of 6 Old 07-15-2019, 04:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyree91 View Post
What Processor are you running? Do you use it for music too?

I think 2 EA.- SVS SB-16s would be terrific.
I'm running 3 EA.- SVS PB 13 Ultras with Vandersteen 7s (Theater only.) I'm using Dirac via a Theta CB IV. It balances the room real well.
If you want to go for the real deal get the Subs from the System 9, or look at JL Audio's Sub offerings.
Norm
The Sub 9 is what Richard Vandersteen suggested, but at $20k, not happening anytime soon. And with a 13" driver and 400 watt amp, really has me thinking if it's a proper value. JL could be an option, the Fathom F113 perhaps. But the SVS SB-16 or even SB-4000 seem to be a strong value. SVS tells me the only difference in performance between the 4000 and 16 is SPL.

I am using a Pioneer LX-503 receiver for processing and Parasound amplification
post #6 of 6 Old 07-15-2019, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The Sub 9 is what Richard Vandersteen suggested, but at $20k, not happening anytime soon. And with a 13" driver and 400 watt amp, really has me thinking if it's a proper value. JL could be an option, the Fathom F113 perhaps. But the SVS SB-16 or even SB-4000 seem to be a strong value. SVS tells me the only difference in performance between the 4000 and 16 is SPL.

I am using a Pioneer LX-503 receiver for processing and Parasound amplification

Knowing Richard, and having heard his system 9 at shows and dealers, I think the Sub 9s are the best match for the 5 Carbons.
That being said, we all have budgets. I think I would go for a pair of SB-16s. I've had great luck with SVS over the years, and have even upgraded plate amps to keep them current.
The sealed box version should be the best with The Vandersteens, IMO. Norm
mr645 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)