Home Theater Subwoofers - How Many & Which and How's Your Liftoff? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 126Likes

post #31 of 232 Old 09-03-2019, 03:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2031 Post(s)
Liked: 917
Will two SubMersives in a room that is 12 ft long x 11 ft wide x 9.5 ft high have good "liftoff"? Will four SubMersives in a room of this size be overkill or necessary for good "liftoff" (even better than two SubMersives)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 232 Old 09-03-2019, 06:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
Four of these ought to do the trick (Seaton, DSS, and Funk Audio - eat your hearts out):

If that works as well as it could, it is pritty cool. Physics can cause issues though, and a subwoofer is still limited by internal enclosure volume and power to determine output in the low frequencies. We are building a quad 24" for someone right now that is a bit smaller, less expensive, and will have at least as much output if not more with 5000 watts rms per driver. It might end up weighing a bit more though.
Mark Seaton likes this.

Nathan Funk
Funk Audio
post #33 of 232 Old 09-03-2019, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 1675 Post(s)
Liked: 857
Quote:
Four of these ought to do the trick (Seaton, DSS, and Funk Audio - eat your hearts out):

That could probably blow open a bank vault!

Theater Renovation: 3 Aerial Acoustics 7ts & 6 7LCRs; 13 Triad Rotating Silver/9 Sat; 9 Seaton 21" sealed subwoofers; Trinnov Altitude 32 SSP; 3 Theta Digital Prometheus, Trinnov Amplitude 8 & 8M, and ATI AT526NC amplifiers; Sony VW5000 projector; Lumagen Radiance Pro; Panamorph DCR lens; Stewart Filmscreen Vistascope 14' wide 2.40 SnoMatte 100 screen; Kaleidescape & Pioneer UDP-LX500 4k players; Apple TV 4k; TIVO Bolt OTA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 232 Old 09-03-2019, 07:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 545 Post(s)
Liked: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by appelz View Post
The reason for multiple subwoofers is generally to minimize differences in frequency response between different seats. With a single row of two seats, 2 subs in the proper locations will perform fine.

Yes but that’s not both at the front, generally, that’s one front one rear both midwall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Want to learn about home theater design and acoustics? Read our blog.
Company: Acoustic Frontiers - design and creation of high performance home theaters for discerning audio/video enthusiasts.
Certifications: HAA Level I & II, THX Video Level I & II, CEDIA EST I & II.
AVS Projects: Too many to show in my signature - see here for the master list.
post #35 of 232 Old 09-03-2019, 07:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked: 931
I think a pair of these might do the trick.

http://jtrspeakers.com/captivator-4000ulf.html

"Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken." - Tyler Durden

Living Room - Denon AVR-X2400H/MiniDSP 2X4HD/Hsu Research HB-1 Bookshelfs (4)/HC-1 Center/SVS PB12 Plus (1)/Samsung UN65H7150/Sony UBP-X800/PC Built by D-Rail/XBox One S
post #36 of 232 Old 09-03-2019, 11:44 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2174 Post(s)
Liked: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funk Audio View Post
Physics can cause issues though, and a subwoofer is still limited by internal enclosure volume and power to determine output in the low frequencies.

That's what I was thinking, but I calculate about 60 cu ft, so no violation of Hoffman's Iron Law here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funk Audio View Post
We are building a quad 24" for someone right now that is a bit smaller, less expensive, and will have at least as much output if not more with 5000 watts rms per driver. It might end up weighing a bit more though.

Yep, and I was also thinking how it's never rational to use drivers larger than 18" vs. multiples.

Oops, you're using 24's...

Noah
post #37 of 232 Old 09-04-2019, 04:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 5133 Post(s)
Liked: 3997
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-rail34 View Post
I think a pair of these might do the trick.

http://jtrspeakers.com/captivator-4000ulf.html
In his sized room, probably not!
post #38 of 232 Old 09-06-2019, 04:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1197 Post(s)
Liked: 882
Quote:
And for the average buyer, since this is often misunderstood, placing multiple subs in corners, 1/4 points or even midpoints only gives you a more similar seat-to-seat frequency response. It does not have anything to do with a nice smooth or flat frequency response at those locations. It does mean that when you start to apply PEQ, the seats with similar response behave the same.

Subs in corners gives you some extra gain, since you are energizing room modes in all 3 axes, so you generally will not get anything closely resembling a smooth flat frequency response.
yep and almost everyone blames the deficiencies on the sub whereas most subs are probably fairly decent. It kinda sucks to be a subwoofer manufacturer in retail I guess. Probably 99% of people have no idea where to even start or that there is a method to good bass response. subterranean sound for godzilla and punch for decent house music might be what the average user might be content with.

If folks were to hire an installer for their stuff, even if the installer did a perfect job, they wouldn't even know exactly what it took to achieve the outcome. This is truly one of the most mysterious areas in consumer electronics for most people... they don't even know what they don't know (about music or acoustics).
Reddig likes this.

Blazar!
post #39 of 232 Old 09-06-2019, 07:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It does not have anything to do with a nice smooth or flat frequency response at those locations.
I'm not sure what "at those locations" refers to. I have had 3 different theaters where each eventually had subs in the 4 corners (all sealed rectangular rooms). In every case, the FR was pretty flat AT THE MLP.. I also helped another individual build his theater, he had a sub in each corner and he, too, had pretty flat FR at the MLP. Is that just good fortune? Or does "at those locations" refer to another spot in the room?

Last edited by audioguy; 09-08-2019 at 08:32 AM.
post #40 of 232 Old 09-08-2019, 09:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 92
I'm happy with 2 Deep Sea Sound Mariana 18" subs placed on either side of my center channel. Yes Houston, we have liftoff.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-09-06 at 8.53.37 AM.png
Views:	57
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	2612564  
post #41 of 232 Old 09-08-2019, 12:51 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 681 Post(s)
Liked: 722
Quote:
I'm not sure what "at those locations" refers to. I have had 3 different theaters where each eventually had subs in the 4 corners (all sealed rectangular rooms). In every case, the FR was pretty flat AT THE MLP.. I also helped another individual build his theater, he had a sub in each corner and he, too, had pretty flat FR at the MLP. Is that just good fortune? Or does "at those locations" refer to another spot in the room?
I'm referring to similar frequency response across multiple seats in multiple rows, before any PEQ etc.

At a single seat, it is pretty trivial to get the subwoofer response that one desires. Keep the MLP out of any nulls, put a subwoofer pretty much anywhere you want, and go to work with a DSP. Not much chance nearby seats will sound the same, especially with one sub, multiple rows, etc.

Getting that same smooth response across multiple seating locations absolutely requires the use of a DSP, and depending on the method (Welti-Devantier, SFM ,MSO, Geddes, Lemay virtual sub), some combination of subwoofer location and seating location. In the case of Welti-Devantier, subs are placed in corners, mid points, or 1/4 points. This results in a similar seat-to-seat frequency response across a large listening area. However, because some locations are in the nulls of room modes, and others at peaks, while the frequency response at each seating location will be similar, the response will not be anything close to flat. However, since each seat is similar, you can now employ PEQ and it will affect each seat in a similar way, and you can improve the frequency response equally across quite a large listening area.
jamin, Mashie Saldana and A.T.M. like this.

Adam Pelz ,Acoustic Mafia - Hear No Evil
JBL Master ARCOS Calibrator, CEDIA Designer, Home Acoustics Alliance Instructor LIII, THX HT1+ HT2+ Video, Level III Trinnov Altitude Calibrator
Mercenary Calibrator for Manufacturers, Integrators and System Owners
post #42 of 232 Old 09-08-2019, 02:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm referring to similar frequency response across multiple seats in multiple rows, before any PEQ etc.
Got it. Multiple seats in a single row is sort of close but once you add rows, all bets are way off for "flat" and that most certainly reflects my experience. PEQ is our friend.

Thanks.
appelz likes this.

Last edited by audioguy; 09-15-2019 at 06:31 AM.
post #43 of 232 Old 09-16-2019, 07:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
That could probably blow open a bank vault!

Where are the Mythbusters when you need 'em?
post #44 of 232 Old 09-16-2019, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Ascendo Immersive Audio has a static display at CEDIA 2019 showing a 32" subwoofer (see photos below):

https://www.aia-cinema.com/passive-s...s/sms12-p.html

During the next year they are working to partner with Trinnov in Connecticut on a project!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	2616310   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	2616312  

Theater Renovation: 3 Aerial Acoustics 7ts & 6 7LCRs; 13 Triad Rotating Silver/9 Sat; 9 Seaton 21" sealed subwoofers; Trinnov Altitude 32 SSP; 3 Theta Digital Prometheus, Trinnov Amplitude 8 & 8M, and ATI AT526NC amplifiers; Sony VW5000 projector; Lumagen Radiance Pro; Panamorph DCR lens; Stewart Filmscreen Vistascope 14' wide 2.40 SnoMatte 100 screen; Kaleidescape & Pioneer UDP-LX500 4k players; Apple TV 4k; TIVO Bolt OTA.
post #45 of 232 Old 09-16-2019, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 1314 Post(s)
Liked: 1764
Quote:
Ascendo Immersive Audio has a static display at CEDIA 2019 showing a 32" subwoofer (see photos below):

https://www.aia-cinema.com/passive-s...s/sms12-p.html

During the next year they are working to partner with Trinnov in Connecticut on a project!!!
Did you get the depth of the sub shown there ?

Art
post #46 of 232 Old 09-16-2019, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post
Did you get the depth of the sub shown there ?

Art
I did see the 32" sub on display and it was awful deep big [email protected]@@

post #47 of 232 Old 09-16-2019, 12:44 PM

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2270 Post(s)
Liked: 1487
Wow. 4 Seaton Submersives for me (F18). 4 Wisdom S90is - all 8 at room 1/4 pts along walls (per Adam).

Goodbye to a great audio and video genius and writer... JOHN GANNON. I enjoyed your friendship, wit and a nice long run we took around Indianapolis at CEDIA years back... and for buying my Runco 980 Ultra years back... you saved my ass! Rest in peace.
post #48 of 232 Old 09-16-2019, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post
Wow. 4 Seaton Submersives for me (F18). 4 Wisdom S90is - all 8 at room 1/4 pts along walls (per Adam).

Very nice! Sorry we missed each other and my demo when I recently visited Mark Burnstein by you!

post #49 of 232 Old 09-16-2019, 02:01 PM

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2270 Post(s)
Liked: 1487
Quote:
Very nice! Sorry we missed each other and my demo when I recently visited Mark Burnstein by you!
I am up and running as of yesterday! But I had a board failure a week out so I am still not out of the woods. Thought Equi-Tech balanced power might be a culprit. We'll see. But so far, so good!

Next time!!!!

Goodbye to a great audio and video genius and writer... JOHN GANNON. I enjoyed your friendship, wit and a nice long run we took around Indianapolis at CEDIA years back... and for buying my Runco 980 Ultra years back... you saved my ass! Rest in peace.
post #50 of 232 Old 09-16-2019, 02:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:

Looks like a scene from the Land of the Giants.

Man cave-Marantz 8012, Oppo 203, 4K ATV, Sony XBR-75X940E, Bluesound Vault 2, Harmony One, 2 Paradigm Monitor 9's, CC-390, 2ADP 390's/190's, 2 PDR 100's,
4 SVS Prime elevations. B&W P5. Living room- Yamaha 2010, Bluesound Node 2, Paradigm SE-1's, Zone 2-Paradigm-Stylus 370-SM. B&W PX for travel
Bedroom- Samsung UN60ES7100F, Oppo 103D, Pulse Mini, JBL Bar Studio, ATV3 and Harmony 650
post #51 of 232 Old 09-18-2019, 09:12 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasalle View Post
I have 10 F-18’s in my HT. 8 (2 stacks of 4) behind the screen and one on each side wall across from the MLP (with the ability to add an additional slave on each sidewall). I don’t feel its lacking.

Only 10 F18s? Meh.

It’s interesting on sub locations. Previous home theater designs typically had the subs on the floor (or sand filled riser for me). My 4 F18s are below. Now I’m seeing stacks like yours. Im Thinking of adding more to mimic your stacking- with either 3 or 4 in each stack. Mark Seaton mentioned something on her phone about benefits but I don’t recall.

And then Rob Hahns theater with Keith Yates UberSubs has subs above and below each LCR- so 6 positions (with two drivers each, for total of 12 in the front).

Would be interesting to hear reasoning behind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #52 of 232 Old 09-18-2019, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 587 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwthacker View Post
Only 10 F18s? Meh.

It’s interesting on sub locations. Previous home theater designs typically had the subs on the floor (or sand filled riser for me). My 4 F18s are below. Now I’m seeing stacks like yours. Im Thinking of adding more to mimic your stacking- with either 3 or 4 in each stack. Mark Seaton mentioned something on her phone about benefits but I don’t recall.

And then Rob Hahns theater with Keith Yates UberSubs has subs above and below each LCR- so 6 positions (with two drivers each, for total of 12 in the front).

Would be interesting to hear reasoning behind.

Mark is the expert on this so he can expand on or correct any of my comments. My understanding is that if you stack the F18 slaves on the same channel they couple into a bass array (much like a line array for
Higher frequency drivers). In my room each 4 stacked sub columns becomes a 10 foot high “coupled array”. This helps mitigate some of the room nulls and peaks. You can also put the slaves side by side to create
A horizontal array (which I may do by adding another slave to my sidewall subs), this can provide the same benefits in the horizontal plane. The vertical stack in my HT worked very well.
gwthacker likes this.
post #53 of 232 Old 09-18-2019, 12:50 PM

Home Theater Subwoofers - How Many & Which and How's Your Liftoff?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasalle View Post
Mark is the expert on this so he can expand on or correct any of my comments. My understanding is that if you stack the F18 slaves on the same channel they couple into a bass array (much like a line array for

Higher frequency drivers). In my room each 4 stacked sub columns becomes a 10 foot high “coupled array”. This helps mitigate some of the room nulls and peaks. You can also put the slaves side by side to create

A horizontal array (which I may do by adding another slave to my sidewall subs), this can provide the same benefits in the horizontal plane. The vertical stack in my HT worked very well.

Interesting. It would be great to get input from @Mark Seaton or @appelz on this. Options that I see for front subs

1. Stack vertically like you’ve done (2 stacks)
2. Place horizontally on front wall
3. Both- eg instead of vertical stack of 4, two subs placed horizontally with another two stacked on top. Or variation would be an L shape of subs
4. Or like rob Hahn, who had dual subs above and below each LCR speaker

Or maybe it simply doesn’t need to be this exact

post #54 of 232 Old 09-18-2019, 01:29 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Interesting. It would be great to get input from @Mark Seaton or @appelz on this. Options that I see for front subs

1. Stack vertically like you’ve done (2 stacks)
2. Place horizontally on front wall
3. Both- eg instead of vertical stack of 4, two subs placed horizontally with another two stacked on top. Or variation would be an L shape of subs
4. Or like rob Hahn, who had dual subs above and below each LCR speaker

Or maybe it simply doesn’t need to be this exact

Given the incredibly smooth frequency response I know that your room has at your seating positions, I don't know what you will gain by additional subs. Your subs are where they are now located for specific reasons, and they work exceptionally well.

JBL Master ARCOS Calibrator, CEDIA Designer, Home Acoustics Alliance Instructor LIII, THX HT1+ HT2+ Video, Level III Trinnov Altitude Calibrator
post #55 of 232 Old 09-18-2019, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Given the incredibly smooth frequency response I know that your room has at your seating positions, I don't know what you will gain by additional subs. Your subs are where they are now located for specific reasons, and they work exceptionally well.

Hey Adam- it’s more of a theoretical audio question. My hair flaps enough in deep Hz scenes

post #56 of 232 Old 09-18-2019, 02:32 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Hey Adam- it’s more of a theoretical audio question. My hair flaps enough in deep Hz scenes

Whew, ok! I couldn't imagine you wanted more bass in there!

post #57 of 232 Old 09-18-2019, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Whew, ok! I couldn't imagine you wanted more bass in there!

But then again......

Reddig likes this.
post #58 of 232 Old 09-18-2019, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 1314 Post(s)
Liked: 1764
Quote:
I did see the 32" sub on display and it was awful deep big [email protected]@@
Thanks, realistically I only have 27" of depth to work with, in the front.

Art
post #59 of 232 Old 09-18-2019, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post
Thanks, realistically I only have 27" of depth to work with, in the front.

Art
Ascendo Will custom make whatever size that you want that will fit at the front Of your of yours theater!

post #60 of 232 Old 09-19-2019, 11:08 AM

I’m going to belabor a point for curiosity sake.

Harman did a study on subwoofer locations. https://www.harman.com/sites/default...multsubs_0.pdf. The study analyzed dozens of different subwoofer placements- but all of these assumed floor /horizontal placement.

The study didn’t analyze the effect of vertical placement. It did note on slide 40:
“Note that floor/ceiling axial modes would not be cancelled, however these modes are much less important. Floor/ceiling axial modes do not cause variation in frequency response over the seating area, assuming ear height does not vary.”

This is completely beyond my pay grade or knowledge- as my C in calculus II would attest. But in layman’s terms it would be interesting to know how / whether vertical placements affect subwoofer performance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page