Home Theater Subwoofers - How Many & Which and How's Your Liftoff? - Page 9 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 132Likes

post #241 of 264 Old 12-21-2019, 11:27 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 59
One piece of equipment will complete your theater. It’s the BOSS platform. Look it up in the thread called Hideaway Theater. It’s simply amazing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 264 Old 12-21-2019, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 5777 Post(s)
Liked: 4882
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake View Post
Was there any scientific “truth” to that Floyd Toole seminal subwoofer article that said beyond 4 subs in a space, there is minimal acoustic gains ?

I notice a lot of people are putting in a lot more these days .
I would dispute that claim - and what size are those 4 referenced subs? 10"? 12"? 15"? 18"? 21"? 24" -- and how big is the space (2000cf?; 5000cf? I originally had 4 (now have 8) in 3400cf and while I had great output, and great extension, and great impact with 4, at least to some point, more is still better - because 8 sure does create a more "involving" environment than did 4.

Summary: in a sealed space, "there is no replacement for displacement".
post #243 of 264 Old 12-21-2019, 01:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 857 Post(s)
Liked: 1206
Home Theater Subwoofers - How Many & Which and How's Your Liftoff?

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
I would dispute that claim - and what size are those 4 referenced subs? 10"? 12"? 15"? 18"? 21"? 24" -- and how big is the space (2000cf?; 5000cf? I originally had 4 (now have 8) in 3400cf and while I had great output, and great extension, and great impact with 4, at least to some point, more is still better - because 8 sure does create a more "involving" environment than did 4.

Summary: in a sealed space, "there is no replacement for displacement".

I believe he is referring to this study by Floyd Toole and Harman, linked below.

And to answer @blake question, yes there is plenty of “scientific truth” to that study, as long as you follow the room guidelines. “Conclusions based on a rectangle room and the seating area in the center or center-rear of the room”.

And that has more to do with the number of subwoofer “locations/positions” to get the best performance, not the number of drivers.

https://www.harman.com/sites/default...multsubs_0.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by ccool96; 12-21-2019 at 01:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #244 of 264 Old 12-21-2019, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccool96 View Post
I believe he is referring to this study by Floyd Toole and Harman, linked below.

And to answer @blake question, yes there is plenty of “scientific truth” to that study, as long as you follow the room guidelines. “Conclusions based on a rectangle room and the seating area in the center or center-rear of the room”.

And that has more to do with the number of subwoofer “locations/positions” to get the best performance, not the number of drivers.

https://www.harman.com/sites/default...multsubs_0.pdf
I thought that was what he was referring to. That study was more about getting consistent, and " reasonably flat" response with minimum seat to seat variance. And I most certainly agree with that study and why I ALWAYS recommend putting a sub in each corner since mid-wall, while theoretically better, almost always presents some aesthetic or functional issues.

I was trying to convey that if one sub in each corner is good, multiple in each corner can be better (room size dependent). Not from an FR perspective but rather "pants flapping", "chest compression", "room rattling" perspective.

Necessary? Absolutely not. Fun? Absolutely.
appelz and ccool96 like this.
post #245 of 264 Old 12-21-2019, 02:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I thought that was what he was referring to. That study was more about getting consistent, and " reasonably flat" response with minimum seat to seat variance. And I most certainly agree with that study and why I ALWAYS recommend putting a sub in each corner since mid-wall, while theoretically better, almost always presents some aesthetic or functional issues.

I was trying to convey that if one sub in each corner is good, multiple in each corner can be better (room size dependent). Not from an FR perspective but rather "pants flapping", "chest compression", "room rattling" perspective.

I agree with that. That’s why I keep stacking more and more Seaton subs.

post #246 of 264 Old 12-21-2019, 03:03 PM

Quote:

Never a bad idea!
post #247 of 264 Old 12-21-2019, 04:51 PM

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1661 Post(s)
Liked: 2312
Quote:

Stacked a few myself.

Angela has gotten used to things coming off shelves but she said now she is concerned about the shelves themselves coming off.

Art
ccool96 likes this.

Last edited by Art Sonneborn; 12-21-2019 at 05:10 PM.
post #248 of 264 Old 12-21-2019, 05:50 PM

Getting the top one on (or off) is quite the challenge - and not dying in the process!!
post #249 of 264 Old 12-21-2019, 05:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post

Stacked a few myself.

Angela has gotten used to things coming off shelves but she said now she is concerned about the shelves themselves coming off.

Art

Hahaha that is awesome!!

post #250 of 264 Old 12-21-2019, 08:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked: 518
Quote:

When you stack subs they couple into a bass array and the stack is technically one location. I have 10 subs in 4 locations. If I add two more slaves I'll still have 4 arrays. When you look at it that way 4 locations seems reasonable.
post #251 of 264 Old 12-22-2019, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasalle View Post
When you stack subs they couple into a bass array and the stack is technically one location. I have 10 subs in 4 locations. If I add two more slaves I'll still have 4 arrays. When you look at it that way 4 locations seems reasonable.

Does that hold if the "stack" is horizontal vs vertical? I would think it does given the wave lengths involved.
post #252 of 264 Old 12-22-2019, 07:29 AM
hwb

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 13
A lot of bass aficionados on this thread, any thoughts for a low budget guy like me on this:

SVS PB12-NSD vs Outlaw Audio Ultra-X12

Want to pull the trigger on a sub for my 17' 6" by 11' 8" theater with an 8' 11" ceiling (1828 cu ft) on the second floor of our house with a carpeted plywood subfloor.

The theater will be 98% used for 4K Movies on BluRay, Netflix Steaming, PLEX and Dish TV...so not much music.

I have the budget for one of these subs > SVS PB12-NSD or Outlaw Audio Ultra-X12 but can't decide which would serve me best. (for basically the same $ with current sales)

All the other speakers will be in ceiling or in wall including L/C/R behind an AT screen.

Any help would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-12-20 at 6.28.06 PM.PNG
Views:	18
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	2657328  
post #253 of 264 Old 12-22-2019, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Does that hold if the "stack" is horizontal vs vertical? I would think it does given the wave lengths involved.
My understanding is yes, the bass array can be verticle or horizontal.
post #254 of 264 Old 12-22-2019, 08:06 AM

Quote:

Then I have 3 stacks. And while it would add nothing to the sound, I have room for a few more in each of the front corners and along the back wall. Since I can already reach ~125dB with bass frequency sweeps, I think ending up with 12 of the F18's would be way past the definition of overkill in my 3400cf.
post #255 of 264 Old 12-22-2019, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Then I have 3 stacks. And while it would add nothing to the sound, I have room for a few more in each of the front corners and along the back wall. Since I can already reach ~125dB with bass frequency sweeps, I think ending up with 12 of the F18's would be way past the definition of overkill in my 3400cf.
Probably so. One aspect of Seaton's ability to stack subs on the same amp that maybe overlooked is the speed of response and dynamic headroom. A stack of 4 F18's has to move 1/4 the driver distance to displace the same amount of air as one F18. While the one F18 may be close to maxing out at 1 inch movement the stack will have 4X the headroom for fast peaks. The only reason I would consider adding a second arrayed sub to my side subs is to double the speed and headroom for the surrounds and faster response supporting the LFE.
post #256 of 264 Old 12-22-2019, 08:17 AM

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked: 1861
I have a different take. I had 6 Seaton Submersives (12 total drivers) in my previous theater (4 at screen wal and 2 in rear to balance) and had incredible extension and output. But sometimes, I felt it took over the soundtrack and drew too much attention to itself.

But in my new theater I am running 4 7’ tall tapped horns (Wisdom) at the 1/4 points of the room and 4 F18s up front and the bass is fabulous. Maybe 2 more F18s might give me a bit more extension but having the Wisdoms do the mid bass (~40 Hz -80Hz) has made for a better overall experience I feel I can go louder and still get incredible, intelligible dialog along with gut punching bass and deep low end. This was recommended by Adam Pelz and so far so damn good!

This room is so much better designed and acoustically treated that this is likely influencing my comparison to my previous room but I like the mid bass sub option.

And as I have experienced in Art’s room and his own thoughts, the M2s have the best dialog intelligibility of anything I’ve ever heard... along with great slam and impact.

Common denominator here is the Seaton’s!! Good work Mark!

Watch Af Astra last night and there are a few violent scenes of bass and sound bursts! The nuclear explosion was friggin scary!

I salute our Immersion professionals: Curt Hoyt to which I am very thankful for positioning my JBL loudspeakers correctly to achieve a very tight bubble and the greatly missed Peter CINERAMAX whose fearless R&D in PRO-RIBBON cinemas, curation of most immersive Kaleidescape scripts and forging ahead to 55 loudspeaker Crystal Led Cinemas will pave the road ahead. And Adam Pelz for bringing the system to jawdropping life!
post #257 of 264 Old 12-22-2019, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2100 Post(s)
Liked: 1382
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
This is what lead me to order the 9 21" sealed subwoofers from Mark Seaton, 6 along the front wall, 3 along the back wall below and beside cabinets. Each of these 2 sets of subwoofers are acting as a stack, so 2 stacks! Mark and I discussed the the front and back subwoofer arrays would only require 2 channels of my 24 channel Trinnov Altitude 32, and 2 separate amplifiers (going with components hidden behind the back cabinets) (one amplifier has one 4000 watt module to power the back 3 subwoofers; one amplifier has two 4000 watt modules each of which powers 3 of the front subwoofers).

Pray for all of our healthcare providers, food manufacturing and delivery workers, all of whom are doing their best at great risk to help us survive the current Covid-19 virus crisis.
post #258 of 264 Old 12-22-2019, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
This is what lead me to order the 9 21" sealed subwoofers from Mark Seaton, 6 along the front wall, 3 along the back wall below and beside cabinets. .
Steve:

In my room (~3400cf), I have approximately 2035 square inches of subwoofer driver area. Your nine 21" inch drivers represent about 3116 square inches of driver area - about 1.5 times the area of mine. And the cubic footage of your room (18.25 x 12 x 25 = 5475cf) is also about 1.5 times the size of mine.

Given that, you will be blown away by the improvement over what you have previously experienced in your room. Not only in extension, but in overall output and headroom. I'm not sure I can accurately describe the difference between 4 F18's vs 8 F18's in my room since they measure identical, but the overall "experience" is not even close to the same - and this is true even if I am playing well below reference.

Your theater re-do will provide you a wonderful Post Christmas/Hanukkah gift. Really looking forward to your initial thoughts.

Last edited by audioguy; 12-22-2019 at 09:41 AM.
post #259 of 264 Old 12-22-2019, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
Steve:

In my room (~3400cf), I have approximately 2035 square inches of subwoofer driver area. Your nine 21" inch drivers represent about 3116 square inches of driver area - about 1.5 times the area of mine. And the cubic footage of your room (18.25 x 12 x 25 = 5475cf) is also about 1.5 times the size of mine.

Given that, you will be blown away by the improvement over what you have previously experienced in your room. Not only in extension, but in overall output and headroom. I'm not sure I can accurately describe the difference between 4 F18's vs 8 F18's in my room since they measure identical, but the overall "experience" is not even close to the same - and this is true even if I am playing well below reference.

Your theater re-do will provide you a wonderful Post Christmas/Hanukkah gift. Really looking forward to your initial thoughts.
Its all your fault for talking me into this subwoofer extension gig! But I bet it won't be long before you add 4 more F18's and then you'll be the KING compared to me, Art, Jeff, Brad, etc. Then you will have to change your AVS Moniker to "AudioBOOM"!

Pray for all of our healthcare providers, food manufacturing and delivery workers, all of whom are doing their best at great risk to help us survive the current Covid-19 virus crisis.
post #260 of 264 Old 12-22-2019, 10:25 AM

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1661 Post(s)
Liked: 2312
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post
I have a different take. I had 6 Seaton Submersives (12 total drivers) in my previous theater (4 at screen wal and 2 in rear to balance) and had incredible extension and output. But sometimes, I felt it took over the soundtrack and drew too much attention to itself.

But in my new theater I am running 4 7’ tall tapped horns (Wisdom) at the 1/4 points of the room and 4 F18s up front and the bass is fabulous. Maybe 2 more F18s might give me a bit more extension but having the Wisdoms do the mid bass (~40 Hz -80Hz) has made for a better overall experience I feel I can go louder and still get incredible, intelligible dialog along with gut punching bass and deep low end. This was recommended by Adam Pelz and so far so damn good!

This room is so much better designed and acoustically treated that this is likely influencing my comparison to my previous room but I like the mid bass sub option.

And as I have experienced in Art’s room and his own thoughts, the M2s have the best dialog intelligibility of anything I’ve ever heard... along with great slam and impact.

Watch Af Astra last night and there are a few violent scenes of bass and sound bursts! The nuclear explosion was friggin scary!
Bet it is indeed sweet.

Ad Astra was the one that caused Angela to be concerned that the artwork might come off the walls in our bedroom.

Art
post #261 of 264 Old 12-22-2019, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post
Bet it is indeed sweet.

Ad Astra was the one that caused Angela to be concerned that the artwork might come off the walls in our bedroom.

Art
Audio was excellent. Not a fan of the movie!
Art Sonneborn likes this.
post #262 of 264 Old 12-22-2019, 02:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

Sounds like You and Adam did a great job designing your HT as an integrated optimized system. I don’t think the optimal sub approach is a one size fits all undertaking. Room size, Room acoustic’s, L,C,R speaker response and dynamics, Surround and Heights also to a lesser degree must all be factored in. I’m a big fan of achieving a high level of dynamic headroom across the frequency spectrum (which it appears you have achieved)

Last edited by Lasalle; 12-22-2019 at 03:49 PM.
post #263 of 264 Old 12-22-2019, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
Its all your fault for talking me into this subwoofer extension gig!
It is actually way less about extension and much, much more about headroom. You will see (or rather hear and feel)

Quote:
But I bet it won't be long before you add 4 more F18's and then you'll be the KING compared to me, Art, Jeff, Brad, etc. Then you will have to change your AVS Moniker to "AudioBOOM"!
Won't happen. I would make no use of the $$ spent. In my space, 6 probably would have been more than adequate, so I got 8 JUST TO BE 1000% SURE!! I can already hit ~125 db (no distortion) with an LFE frequency sweep. I have no clue what I could hit with just a low frequency impulse - nor do I ever want to find out.
Lasalle likes this.
post #264 of 264 Old 03-07-2020, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter

Subwoofers, Subwoofers, Subwoofers!

My Seaton subwoofer order is almost ready! My theater upgrade/renovation still is in process, a few more months. My installer is finally over his walking pneumonia - this helps - and I think I am making my very last specification change, and its a whopper.

At almost age 67 I can't keep upgrading forever and forever [although I will keep my membership as the 2nd member of the "Audio-Holics" Club (promising never NOT to upgrade audio video), started by Chuck/Audioguy]. I want to get my theater done once and for all, with minimal upgrades to keep my charter Audio-Holics Club membership intact.

In the past six weeks, I revised my upgrade to add a second pair of side surround Aerial Acoustics 7LCRs for the back/2nd row, after "attending" a Trinnov webinar discussing this. Then it really hit me that the plan to put the rear surround pair of Aerial 7LCRs at the very back of the side walls just was not only too close to the back/2nd row side surrounds, but also that lets forgo disc storage at the back cabinetry/wall and instead just use that area for subwoofers and the pair of rear surround Aerial 7LCRs and some acoustic treatments. And as a natural consequence of this, and in discussion with Mark Seaton and my installer, it became evident that with the 3 subwoofers planned for the back cabinetry/wall to lay side-by-side, better to stack them in a stack of 3. Next comes I have room for a second stack of 3 subwoofers (all Mark Seaton's new 21" sealed subwoofers) NEXT to the first stack. This gives me a balance of 6 subwoofers in BOTH the front (below the screen) and back (2 stacks of 3) of the theater.

Is anyone wondering if I have lost my marbles? Or if this is an early April Fool's joke?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page