Modulus 4k & Blu Ray Rip/Play/Stream/DVR - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #1 of 45 Old 09-17-2019, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1587 Post(s)
Liked: 786
Modulus 4k & Blu Ray Rip/Play/Stream/DVR

I had a nice chat with Jason one of the owners programmers with Modulus Media Systems at CEDIA 2019:

https://www.modulusmediasystems.com/

To be sold via dealers/integrators only, with dealers responsible for setup and to determine their own profit margin.

Modulus M1 is a Blu Ray/DVD movie server/ripper and premium streaming DVR which will work with all streaming services like Netflix, Hulu, etc and even skip commercials. Up to 20 TB storage but buy the cheap one and connect your own network server via your network. You can record all streaming shows and say you leave Netflix etc so long as shows have been recorded not erased you can watch them. Dealer cost for 6 TB unit quite reasonable and if dealer marks up to twice dealer cost on par or less than KScape Strato C! In two months they anticipate connecting 4k Disc player/ripper with estimated dealer cost another $250 or so!
https://www.modulusmediasystems.com/pg/modulusm1

Modulus MX1 is like the KScape Strato C to play whatever is recorded on M1 and connected network server Estimated dealer cost $500.

Modulus also has a hand remote for all of this and compatible with Crestron and some other remote controls.

Very interesting product!

Beta testing nearly complete and has been quite extensive and product about to launch with Modulus signing up dealers/integrators at CEDIA!
Craig Peer likes this.

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show....php?t=1158431 No dealer is authorized to tell you I refer to them - any referrals I make will be done personally by me. Over the years I have found certain dealer(s) who I cannot recommend for good reason.
! 9.4.13 Trinnov Altitude 32 Theatre renovation/upgrade starts end of July 2019!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 Old 09-17-2019, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

Kaleidescape had litigation and as a result you must have the physical blu ray it the KScape player even though you are playing the movie off the hard drive. And Kaleidescape for 4k discs has a store to purchase the movie on the KScape componentwith no feature to insert and have the physical 4k disc in the component.

Although I have recently retired as an attorney legal questions on this are not my forte.

But the product itself seems quite outstanding!

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show....php?t=1158431 No dealer is authorized to tell you I refer to them - any referrals I make will be done personally by me. Over the years I have found certain dealer(s) who I cannot recommend for good reason.
! 9.4.13 Trinnov Altitude 32 Theatre renovation/upgrade starts end of July 2019!

Last edited by Steve Bruzonsky; 09-20-2019 at 08:53 AM.
post #3 of 45 Old 09-17-2019, 03:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Steve

Other major question is how are they going to legally rip any Blu ray or 4K discs and bypass the encryption . Unless they ask buyer to buy and install 3rd party software from cayman island etc to be able to rip the discs - like slysoft .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 45 Old 09-17-2019, 04:02 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked: 1695
Yea, ripping BD or UHD discs is exactly what all the ***** Kscape was about and they lost their case, how does this circumvent this legally?

Art
post #5 of 45 Old 09-17-2019, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mani View Post
Steve

Other major question is how are they going to legally rip any Blu ray or 4K discs and bypass the encryption . Unless they ask buyer to buy and install 3rd party software from cayman island etc to be able to rip the discs - like slysoft .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post
Yea, ripping BD or UHD discs is exactly what all the ***** Kscape was about and they lost their case, how does this circumvent this legally?

Art
Jason said their attorneys said they were ok in this regard as the consumer would bear any liability for this ripping.

"Modulus is the creation of Steven Schulz, an Austin, TX tech executive and entrepreneur. Steve was formerly with Texas Instruments for 19 years before becoming president and CEO of Si2, a global electronics consortium. Steve’s vision and ingenuity has driven the project since inception but he is quick to share credit with a team of talented software developers and engineers. In total the Modulus platform is built on ten years of proprietary software development and 26 million lines of code. - - - MMS has thoroughly worked through all legal details and is in full compliance with current U.S. federal law. For details, refer to the MMS Legal FAQ." https://www.modulusmediasystems.com/pg/faq

Again, not my area of expertise, but it does look like Modulus is not just some out of the woodwork company, but a very, very careful company with top notch personnel that have carefully examined legal issues. Whether or not if there are legal challenges they prevail that's out of my expertise.

Last edited by Steve Bruzonsky; 09-20-2019 at 08:59 AM.
post #6 of 45 Old 09-18-2019, 07:30 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
Jason said their attorneys said they were ok in this regard as the consumer would bear any liability for this ripping.
They may want to get a second opinion from a different law firm, because history has not been on the side of this argument....
SuperFist likes this.
post #7 of 45 Old 09-18-2019, 11:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked: 503
Maybe you trade legal services for product

Mike Miles
[email protected]
post #8 of 45 Old 09-19-2019, 11:49 AM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked: 1695
Quote:
Bull! (You fell right into my trap!)

See this is just the kind of thing which we have to stop. America is a different place and publicly posting stuff like this is unacceptable.

Would you instead send more of these either as a PM or email,

Thanks,
Art
JediMindTrick likes this.

Last edited by Art Sonneborn; 09-19-2019 at 11:52 AM.
post #9 of 45 Old 09-20-2019, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

I've been emailing back and forth with Steve Schultz, President/CEO, Modulus Media Systems. Also, I just talked with him on the phone for an hour. All I can say is - WOW. This product has taken many years in development with all sorts of patents. Before the product got going the concept was scrutinized by multiple law firms for opinions and second opinions regarding viability. I am very, very impressed both by the product and the management team. I have seen some internal legal FAQ, which remain confidential and which i will not disclose, and I am very impressed.

As I mention above, from their website: "Modulus is the creation of Steven Schulz, an Austin, TX tech executive and entrepreneur. Steve was formerly with Texas Instruments for 19 years before becoming president and CEO of Si2, a global electronics consortium. Steve’s vision and ingenuity has driven the project since inception but he is quick to share credit with a team of talented software developers and engineers. In total the Modulus platform is built on ten years of proprietary software development and 26 million lines of code. - - - MMS has thoroughly worked through all legal details and is in full compliance with current U.S. federal law. For details, refer to the MMS Legal FAQ." https://www.modulusmediasystems.com/pg/faq

I hardly understand the serious technical aspects of the product, but Modulus has developed proprietary methods which they fully believe avoid patent infringement and Modulus has avoided signing restrictive contracts or settlement agreements (such as the one Kaleidescape signed so that current products only allow buying from the Kaleidescape store). This includes patents based on software develped with Linux to avoid patent infringement.

25 years ago, DirecTV revolutioned the AV Industry with satellite tv. Now streaming is IT - and I predict Modulus, which has signed tons of dealers at last CEDIA, will revolutionize the streaming industry as well! Count me in! However, no direct sales to consumers, must be through dealers/installers, even for me.

Kaleidescape's current products do give the advantage that there are some 4k and blu ray movies available at the KScape store that are not available for disc purchase. This advantage may continue in coming years as disc sales decline vs streaming. But some KScape movies do not have full Dolby Atmos that discs have - some.

On the other hand, Kaleidescape doesn't give one full TIVO like functions, skipping ads, DVR, etc as does Modulus; and with Modulus you can simply rip your blu rays (and 4k discs shortly when the module becomes available, software already loaded will provide for this) and have them on your hard drive. You won't need an Apple 4k TV box, Roku, etc you can use Modulus like your computer and access all streaming services.

Pretty darn cool!

Please - lets avoid further speculation on the legal issues. None of us are patent attorneys who are studied up on or really understand the issues. CEO Schultz told me that they spent 2 years having 2 different law firms carefully review all the legal issues, what they can and can't do, before they lined up investment $$$. Thair attorneys told them what they had to do to avoid patent infringement and they developed software and hardware to do this based on Linux. Also, as for decrypting blu rays and 4k discs, MakeDVD (http://www.makemkv.com/download/) is included as built-in software, but you as the consumer need to enter the activation key to use this feature.

If you feel its too questionable and don't want to get this product, fine. But I had one heck of an hour long discussion with CEO Shultz and I am very convinced that Modulus is for real and will revolutionize not only streaming but making it easy to library file and play your discs on your own server at home. Plus you can attach or network a large network storage (I have two networked Western Digital WDMyCloud 16TB and MyCloudPR4100 network servers). COOL!

Last edited by Steve Bruzonsky; 09-20-2019 at 10:51 AM.
post #10 of 45 Old 09-20-2019, 02:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

In addition I'd be glad to initiate a GoToMeeting with members and the team from Modulus if that is an option.

Mike Miles
[email protected]
post #11 of 45 Old 09-20-2019, 02:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I've been emailing back and forth with Steve Schultz, President/CEO, Modulus Media Systems. Also, I just talked with him on the phone for an hour. All I can say is - WOW. This product has taken many years in development with all sorts of patents. Before the product got going the concept was scrutinized by multiple law firms for opinions and second opinions regarding viability. I am very, very impressed both by the product and the management team. I have seen some internal legal FAQ, which remain confidential and which i will not disclose, and I am very impressed.

As I mention above, from their website: "Modulus is the creation of Steven Schulz, an Austin, TX tech executive and entrepreneur. Steve was formerly with Texas Instruments for 19 years before becoming president and CEO of Si2, a global electronics consortium. Steve’️s vision and ingenuity has driven the project since inception but he is quick to share credit with a team of talented software developers and engineers. In total the Modulus platform is built on ten years of proprietary software development and 26 million lines of code. - - - MMS has thoroughly worked through all legal details and is in full compliance with current U.S. federal law. For details, refer to the MMS Legal FAQ." https://www.modulusmediasystems.com/pg/faq

I hardly understand the serious technical aspects of the product, but Modulus has developed proprietary methods which they fully believe avoid patent infringement and Modulus has avoided signing restrictive contracts or settlement agreements (such as the one Kaleidescape signed so that current products only allow buying from the Kaleidescape store). This includes patents based on software develped with Linux to avoid patent infringement.

25 years ago, DirecTV revolutioned the AV Industry with satellite tv. Now streaming is IT - and I predict Modulus, which has signed tons of dealers at last CEDIA, will revolutionize the streaming industry as well! Count me in! However, no direct sales to consumers, must be through dealers/installers, even for me.

Kaleidescape's current products do give the advantage that there are some 4k and blu ray movies available at the KScape store that are not available for disc purchase. This advantage may continue in coming years as disc sales decline vs streaming. But some KScape movies do not have full Dolby Atmos that discs have - some.

On the other hand, Kaleidescape doesn't give one full TIVO like functions, skipping ads, DVR, etc as does Modulus; and with Modulus you can simply rip your blu rays (and 4k discs shortly when the module becomes available, software already loaded will provide for this) and have them on your hard drive. You won't need an Apple 4k TV box, Roku, etc you can use Modulus like your computer and access all streaming services.

Pretty darn cool!

Please - lets avoid further speculation on the legal issues. None of us are patent attorneys who are studied up on or really understand the issues. CEO Schultz told me that they spent 2 years having 2 different law firms carefully review all the legal issues, what they can and can't do, before they lined up investment $$$. Thair attorneys told them what they had to do to avoid patent infringement and they developed software and hardware to do this based on Linux. Also, as for decrypting blu rays and 4k discs, MakeDVD (http://www.makemkv.com/download/) is included as built-in software, but you as the consumer need to enter the activation key to use this feature.

If you feel its too questionable and don't want to get this product, fine. But I had one heck of an hour long discussion with CEO Shultz and I am very convinced that Modulus is for real and will revolutionize not only streaming but making it easy to library file and play your discs on your own server at home. Plus you can attach or network a large network storage (I have two networked Western Digital WDMyCloud 16TB and MyCloudPR4100 network servers). COOL!
Hi Steve

Appreciate you taking time to talk to them and get this info . Sure seems like an intriguing product . Although I am not a lawyer , I have dealt with lot of them over the years for other reasons of course . My layman understanding is that it is not a settled law whether you can rip DVD or Blu ray legally in US . I think there are two laws that govern this area , one says you can’t copy DVD/Blu ray at all and other says , if you legally own disc you can make a backup as long as you don’t circumvent DRM/ encryption , so basically you can only back up home videos
Here are some threads discussing the issue

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14334

https://www.macworld.com/article/317...handbrake.html

So I don’t know what is perfectly legal and not in great area except for Kscape for now . Maybe someone with actual legal expertise in this field can chime in
post #12 of 45 Old 09-20-2019, 03:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I guess it is now safe you to say after deleting your post of the cow girl.

Like you said Steve give me a break.

Mike Miles
[email protected]
post #13 of 45 Old 09-20-2019, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Hi Steve

Appreciate you taking time to talk to them and get this info . Sure seems like an intriguing product . Although I am not a lawyer , I have dealt with lot of them over the years for other reasons of course . My layman understanding is that it is not a settled law whether you can rip DVD or Blu ray legally in US . I think there are two laws that govern this area , one says you can’t copy DVD/Blu ray at all and other says , if you legally own disc you can make a backup as long as you don’t circumvent DRM/ encryption , so basically you can only back up home videos
Here are some threads discussing the issue

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14334

https://www.macworld.com/article/317...handbrake.html

So I don’t know what is perfectly legal and not in great area except for Kscape for now . Maybe someone with actual legal expertise in this field can chime in
This is not going to be settled here. I may be an attorney but I do not have the experience, training or expertise on this complicated issue. Odds are that no one who will chime in this thread will have complex knowledge of patent law, etc and experience to have a grasp on the complex issues involved. So what good is conjecture on the legalities. If one feels it may be too risky then don't get the product. Sure seems like there a number of folks on this forum who DIY copy blu rays and 4k discs for their own personal use, retaining the original discs which they purchased, as I would!!!

I am simply saying that Modulus is a well thought out company that had the legal issues advised by two separate independent law firms, that there were advised re certain things they could not legally do without infringing patents, and that they designed their hardware and software around what they feel is legally viable. And they have a lot of product development and investment $$$ well capitalized behind this. Certainly a product worth considering. And as I mentioned, they include Makekmv but as end user you have to insert and activate the license key. Supposedly its a turnkey product easy to use to rip and store your discs. But Modulus goes far beyond that with its streaming DVR capabilities. And one can have this on their boat, yaught or airplane, with no internet access, and simply drop in a USB hardrive/stick from their home unit.

Keep in mind Kaleidescape has conflicting court and appelate decisions and entered into a settlement agreement affecting KScape only. Apparently Modulus is well financed and if there is any legal challenge is prepared to fight all the way - IF.

I have a TIVO Bolt OTA. Allows me to record programs including I think from streaming (I don't use it for streaming, I use an Apple TV 4k for this right now) and skip commercials. Could there be litigation on this? Again, on legal issues we are interpreting and speculating on stuff we don't have the education, training and experience to near fully understand what we're talking about.

I think it would be nice if we started discussing the capabilities and functions of the Modulus units.

Last edited by Steve Bruzonsky; 09-20-2019 at 03:46 PM.
post #14 of 45 Old 09-20-2019, 03:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiles View Post
Trying to extend some friendly levity which you started btw so please get off your soap box. Again I strongly encourage you to stop being condescending and insulting towards me.

Now if the group would like to form up some questions etc. i'd be glad to visit them in person since they are about 2.5 hours from me in Rockville, MD. As others I find it interesting but curious how it will be executed and remain in the confines and boundaries of the industry.

That is assuming that is where the magic (development) happens and not just an office.

Steve, feel free to contact me directly for any specific issues you have. Mike Miles - 443.614.2067
My mistake I was confusing this with MadVR. Apologies all.

Mike Miles
[email protected]
post #15 of 45 Old 09-20-2019, 03:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
In addition I'd be glad to initiate a GoToMeeting with members and the team from Modulus if that is an option.
I still would be glad to do this for the group.

Mike Miles
[email protected]
post #16 of 45 Old 09-20-2019, 03:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I should give you a break for calling me "condescending and insulting" after the cow girl went into delete heaven? Give me a break!

I have said what I have to say. If no one expresses interest in features and capabilities of the product, then let this thread die its quick death due to non-interest. And if and when Modulus gets much bigger than Kaleidescape (which I own by the way), then I can start being "condescending and insulting" to you Mike!
Sorry Steve I have been busy deleting my post

Mike Miles
[email protected]
post #17 of 45 Old 09-20-2019, 04:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

As I mention above, from their website: "Modulus is the creation of Steven Schulz, an Austin, TX tech executive and entrepreneur. Steve was formerly with Texas Instruments for 19 years before becoming president and CEO of Si2, a global electronics consortium. Steve’️s vision and ingenuity has driven the project since inception but he is quick to share credit with a team of talented software developers and engineers. In total the Modulus platform is built on ten years of proprietary software development and 26 million lines of code. - - - MMS has thoroughly worked through all legal details and is in full compliance with current U.S. federal law. For details, refer to the MMS Legal FAQ." https://www.modulusmediasystems.com/pg/faq

Pretty darn cool!

Steve

Will it rip 4K UHD discs as well ?
Can you list the MSRPs of the models if they told you

Thanks
post #18 of 45 Old 09-20-2019, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

Answers to some of my questions from Modulus via email:

1. Steve told me that Modulus can be set to output HD instead of 4k for HD sources. Clarifying this, my TIVO Bolt OTA, if it’s a 1080i source, can be set to output native 1080i. Also if source is 720p TIVO can output 720p. Also I want to play DVDS, Blu Rays and 4k discs at native output rates (480i, 1080p24, 4k24) and let my Lumagen Radiance Pro video processor/scaler do upsampling to 4k when necessary (4k24 for movies shot at 24, 4k60 for tv shows broadcast at 60). To what extent can Modulus do this (not discussed on website or literature). (and to extent Modulus can’t do this, will software be revised to do this?)

I think you are wanting to have all video processing done externally, and we can do that with specific settings... but it might need a "wizard" to make it look pretty instead of a command line... it's basically a "yes, we can"

2. Does the Modulus do any HDR tone mapping and if so is this adjustable? If yes, can we turn this feature off to let my Lumagen Radiance Pro do all the tone mapping?

Yes, we have tone mapping for non-HDR displays right now... it is not user-adjustable for fine-tuning, but it can be disabled. It's another thing to put in the new "wizard"

3. Does the Modulus base unit and the M1 unit have separate HDMI outs for audio and video and can this be set in the Menu/Settings?

Yes, the M1 has two HDMI outputs. The Mx1 which is your satellite unit for other TV’s has one HDMI output.

4. Can you set the screen aspect ratio (16:9, 2:35 Native, 2:35 Anamorphic, 2:35 Letterbox) (like Oppo 4k players and Kaleidescape)

Yes, there is a menu option for that

5. Can Modulus record the new audio formats of the disc – Dolby Atmos, DTS:X and Auro 3D and play them back off the hard drive?

Yes, because we import the exact disc contents, so it is lossless and bit-for-bit - the audio output is pass-through so those audio formats will go directly to the pre-amp / receiver for processing.

Like Trinnov, Modulus provides for web based software updating for its units!

post #19 of 45 Old 09-20-2019, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Steve

Thanks
I was told they don't provide MSRP but they do provide to integrators their cost, and up to integrators what they charge. At the very first or second post in this thread I believe I discussed integrator costs.

4k ripping is coming probably in 2 months or so, with an external player/ripper that plugs into the main unit via USB. The software already provides for this and its simply a question of the 4k ripper/player which is soon on the way. Integrator cost for the main unit is $3,200, accessory player (like Kaleidescape Strato C) is $500, and for the 4k ripper/player will only be in the neighborhood of $250. At least that's what I was told at CEDIA. It could be subject to change a bit!

post #20 of 45 Old 09-20-2019, 04:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Steve

Thanks
I was told they don't provide MSRP but they do provide to integrators their cost, and up to integrators what they charge. At the very first or second post in this thread I believe I discussed integrator costs.

4k ripping is coming probably in 2 months or so, with an external player/ripper that plugs into the main unit via USB. The software already provides for this and its simply a question of the 4k ripper/player which is soon on the way. Integrator cost for the 4k ripper/player will only be in the neighborhood of $250.
I have to agree with features they have stated on their website , if it works as flawlessly as K , it will be a great product . And I agree they have thought it through with including major automation companies supported from get go and not as an after thought or follow up software update
post #21 of 45 Old 09-23-2019, 07:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 4982 Post(s)
Liked: 3822
Help me understand what this product is:

(1) It can rip (and play) movies (BR or 4K) to a hard drive (included or added on) using supplied software (MakeDVD (http://www.makemkv.com/download/ -- MakeDVD is not the same as MakeMKV). I can already do this but if their user interface is much better than what I get from the Nvidia Shield/Plex, I might be interested.

(2) It is a streaming device for all major streaming options (YouTube TV, DirecTV Now; etc) AND, with its DVR function, I would be able to record any shows that I desire.

Depending on the consumer price of the least expensive option, I may or may not have serious interest.
post #22 of 45 Old 09-23-2019, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
Help me understand what this product is:

(1) It can rip (and play) movies (BR or 4K) to a hard drive (included or added on) using supplied software (MakeDVD (http://www.makemkv.com/download/ -- MakeDVD is not the same as MakeMKV). I can already do this but if their user interface is much better than what I get from the Nvidia Shield/Plex, I might be interested.

(2) It is a streaming device for all major streaming options (YouTube TV, DirecTV Now; etc) AND, with its DVR function, I would be able to record any shows that I desire.

Depending on the consumer price of the least expensive option, I may or may not have serious interest.
Chuck, I am not versed on DIY ripping for blu rays/4k/dvd discs. The CEO told me they have preloaded software which you enable by entering a key code, and it was "make" something, whether dvd, mkv, whatever. But he said its easy and not complicated for ripping.

YES is my understanding to your above questions.

Last edited by Steve Bruzonsky; 09-23-2019 at 09:26 AM.
post #23 of 45 Old 09-23-2019, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Some Modulus handouts at CEDIA:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Movie Server.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	2619176   Click image for larger version

Name:	Premium DVR.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	2619178   Click image for larger version

Name:	Streaming Box.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	2619180   Click image for larger version

Name:	No Goodbyes.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	2619184  

post #24 of 45 Old 09-23-2019, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

I am quite interested - but as my theatre renovation will take some time, my dealer and I want to wait to see (1) when the 4k player/ripper is available, (2) when dealers/integrators start being listed on the Modulus website, and (3) some early reports of reviewers/end users actually using the product, before I plop down some good $$$$ and my dealer/integrator signs up, as Modulus does not sell direct but only through integrators/dealers. I certainly hope this occurs and that Modulus takes off nicely!

post #25 of 45 Old 09-24-2019, 04:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1334 Post(s)
Liked: 865
Steve (or anyone else) - any idea how many tuners the M1 has?
post #26 of 45 Old 09-24-2019, 04:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by madhuski View Post
Steve (or anyone else) - any idea how many tuners the M1 has?
And, does it have the sort of Guide and Season Pass functionality that Tivo offers; is it a credible Tivo replacement?
post #27 of 45 Old 09-24-2019, 02:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Gentlemen good afternoon.

There will be a GoToMeeting planned for next Thursday at 7pm EST.

It will be an introduction and overview with Q&A at the end. There will be no price talk.

More details forthcoming.

Mike Miles
[email protected]
post #28 of 45 Old 09-25-2019, 07:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I've been communicating with this company for 3 or 4 years, and recently re started those conversations.

Without having the product in my room, it is hard to say how really good it is (or is not), quoted features and specs notwithstanding. That said, with more folks jumping off companies like DirecTV, Dish, et all, at a very rapid pace, this product including the Movie Server, DVR and Streaming capabilities really does have the potential to be a killer product.

And while their literature does say they have a "patent" to record streaming, it does NOT say they have "permission". That would not be a deal breaker for me specifically, but it might for many other prospects. It also says they upsample all video to the highest possible standard. That feature needs to be selectable for those who have external video processors. I would want my Lumagen to perform that function.

As I learn more, I will post what I learn in this thread. At the moment, if you have read their 3 literature pieces, you know what I know!
ss9001 likes this.
post #29 of 45 Old 09-25-2019, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I am waiting on confirmation from the team at Modulus regarding the proposed schedule.

That would be a good topic to bring up in the Q&A if you can attend the planned GTM.

Mike Miles
[email protected]
post #30 of 45 Old 09-25-2019, 08:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
There will be a GoToMeeting planned for next Thursday at 7pm EST.
As in October 3rd? Or as in September 26th? I can make the former but not the later!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page