Samsung The Wall Owners Thread 2019 - Page 10 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 514Likes

post #271 of 304 Old 05-21-2020, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantc View Post
Is that 4 separate feeds? How many inputs can you do simultaneously?
It's got to be 4 separate feeds. Each one of those display quadrants has to be fed by a different computer or console. And that's how many HDMI inputs the Samsung media box has.

Samsung The Wall Lux
Sony XBR-65A1E
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 304 Old 05-21-2020, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prefetch View Post
oh cool. i didn't know about this. thanks.

also, someone asked about why i went with the full 6x6:

ok sorry, i'll stop flexing now. i'm just super pumped!!
How do you multiplex sound, or should every player have their own headphones?

Samsung The Wall Lux
Sony XBR-65A1E
post #273 of 304 Old 05-21-2020, 08:59 AM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 119
no magic happening there - it's just a single HDMI feed from the xbox. the xbox does the screen split for multi-player mode.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #274 of 304 Old 05-21-2020, 09:00 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 933 Post(s)
Liked: 687
Talking

I have just now finally been revived. They had to charge the paddles to 300 before it took. Pardon my French but JFCHFSOMFG. The internet is a terrible (or perfect?) means of conveying the rigidity of my boner, but, man oh man oh man. And those are 4 lucky fellas playing the game, that's for sure.

Quote:
the 6x6 setup fit perfectly over the previous installation, and the system is not exclusively used for movies (videos games, powerpoint presentation, etc.)
I am weirdly intrigued by this. Tell us more.

Also, please be my friend.

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
post #275 of 304 Old 05-21-2020, 09:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptrubey View Post
It's got to be 4 separate feeds. Each one of those display quadrants has to be fed by a different computer or console. And that's how many HDMI inputs the Samsung media box has.
Since he is already occupying one input for the receiver/roku input, and he is planning on adding a gaming PC, this could be an x-box 4 play mode.

"I have spoken."
post #276 of 304 Old 05-21-2020, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked: 746
Quote:
no magic happening there - it's just a single HDMI feed from the xbox. the xbox does the screen split for multi-player mode.
That's what I figured. But is it possible to display 4 inputs at once? (I don't know anything about what drives this display)

Media: LG 88" 8K OLED Z9 / Denon AVR-X8500H 7.1.4 / Oppo UDP-203 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / Sony 4K FMP-X10 / Gaming PC (Threadripper 1950X / 2x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SLI) / PlayStation 4 Pro with PS VR / PlayStation (original)
Family: Sony 85" 4K XBR-85X900F / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / C64 Mini - Game: LG 77" 4K OLED C8 / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K
post #277 of 304 Old 05-21-2020, 04:24 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 145
I was under the impression the Samsung OneConnect box was able to tile the display across multiple inputs, which would be great for this application since each quadrant has approx. 3K resolution.

Abstract yourself!
post #278 of 304 Old 05-21-2020, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorg View Post
I was under the impression the Samsung OneConnect box was able to tile the display across multiple inputs, which would be great for this application since each quadrant has approx. 3K resolution.

yep, it's got multiple HDMI inputs on the box. i haven't played with it yet, so i'm not sure how to make everything work. i don't think there is a manual...

the problem with doing multiple displays is that the audio would kind of a mess if the media you were display had audio. the samsung box does have an optical out for audio, but i don't know if it's a mux of the inputs or if you have to assign it to one particular source input.

right now i just have one hdmi input from my integra receiver, and the integra handles all the audio, so the samsung box is just handling whatever source the integra gives it to display.
post #279 of 304 Old 05-21-2020, 05:08 PM

You can use headsets on PS4/XBox controllers. The consoles send each a dedicated sound feed. That way, each player has the sound they are supposed to be getting. Something to try out.

You could run multiple consoles (XBox One, PS4, etc.) to a single Samsung input going through an HDfury with auto-switching. And then have one set of consoles go through the Integra to feed the surround sound system for when you play solo or share a screen.
ARROW-AV likes this.

Abstract yourself!
post #280 of 304 Old 05-21-2020, 07:27 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 7779 Post(s)
Liked: 17657
Quote:
oh cool. i didn't know about this. thanks.

also, someone asked about why i went with the full 6x6:

ok sorry, i'll stop flexing now. i'm just super pumped!!
By all means, please continue flexing. I consider this my quarantine workout.
jorgebetancourt likes this.

post #281 of 304 Old 05-23-2020, 06:02 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Prefetch - thanks again for your trailblazing posts and pictures -

Can I ask you for your experiences with your monster Wall please in different lighting conditions here?

Since it's such a capable & bright display for use in all lighting conditions...

What's it like watching a movie in darkness vs in natural daytime light?

Can it / does it adjust its brightness for nighttime vs day time?

How does it perform in complete darkness / at very low light levels? Any signs of background light at all?

Thanks for your views on this - happy watching!

.....saving for my upgrade to Hidef Digital in Christmas 2002
post #282 of 304 Old 05-24-2020, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggerPicture View Post
Prefetch - thanks again for your trailblazing posts and pictures -

Can I ask you for your experiences with your monster Wall please in different lighting conditions here?

Since it's such a capable & bright display for use in all lighting conditions...

What's it like watching a movie in darkness vs in natural daytime light?

Can it / does it adjust its brightness for nighttime vs day time?

How does it perform in complete darkness / at very low light levels? Any signs of background light at all?

Thanks for your views on this - happy watching!

in full daylight in a room with a ton of huge windows it's perfectly watchable. obviously it looks better with the shades down, and it looks best at night - but watching something in the daytime is no problem at all. we just watched "prince of egypt" this afternoon and it looked great.

i believe it does have some kind of auto-light detection brightness adjustment thing. i remember the samsung guys talking about it, but i haven't messed with it and haven't notice any auto-magic thing that it does. i'll have to check that out.

in complete darkness the blacks are perfect - i have not seen any signs of background light at all.

i'm about 5 days in and i've been using it everyday, multiple times per day (including night viewing) and it's awesome and i've had zero problems with it and i can't detect any flaws. i can't think of anything about it that i would want to improve. the biggest thing that blows my mind is the auto upscaling it does with 1080p movies - it's like freaking magic - it looks amazing.
post #283 of 304 Old 05-25-2020, 02:19 AM

Quote:
I'm about 5 days in and i've been using it everyday, multiple times per day (including night viewing) and it's awesome and i've had zero problems with it and i can't detect any flaws. i can't think of anything about it that i would want to improve.
Ahh that's fabulous to read Prefetch thank you for the insight into living with this new technology.

One day soon could you kindly share some more details (and ideally some photos) of your power lift system?

Plus we'd all love to see more photos of The Wall, both on and off please

post #284 of 304 Old 05-25-2020, 04:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 723 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Sharma View Post
That is unacceptable... I was planning on buying two of these but now I am put off
What Ash that is normal ambient temperature there, in South America, so stick to just the one and you should be fine, LOL.
Ash Sharma likes this.
post #285 of 304 Old 05-25-2020, 06:57 AM
Absolute Ultimate AV

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Quoted: 4481 Post(s)
Liked: 7411
post #286 of 304 Old 05-25-2020, 06:58 AM
Absolute Ultimate AV

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Quoted: 4481 Post(s)
Liked: 7411
Quote:
in full daylight in a room with a ton of huge windows it's perfectly watchable. obviously it looks better with the shades down, and it looks best at night - but watching something in the daytime is no problem at all. we just watched "prince of egypt" this afternoon and it looked great.

i believe it does have some kind of auto-light detection brightness adjustment thing. i remember the samsung guys talking about it, but i haven't messed with it and haven't notice any auto-magic thing that it does. i'll have to check that out.

in complete darkness the blacks are perfect - i have not seen any signs of background light at all.

i'm about 5 days in and i've been using it everyday, multiple times per day (including night viewing) and it's awesome and i've had zero problems with it and i can't detect any flaws. i can't think of anything about it that i would want to improve. the biggest thing that blows my mind is the auto upscaling it does with 1080p movies - it's like freaking magic - it looks amazing.
Literally living the dream

post #287 of 304 Old 05-25-2020, 07:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 723 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARROW-AV View Post
He was JOKING
I know Mexico North of the Wall is not that bad, bad, but not 54 degree bad. I can't imagine people wanting to live in places like Florida, Holland has turned into a sweathole, anything hotter and more humid must be hell;-).
Reddig likes this.
post #288 of 304 Old 05-26-2020, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 933 Post(s)
Liked: 687
When this is $10k it'll sell like hot cakes

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
post #289 of 304 Old 05-26-2020, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post
When this is $10k it'll sell like hot cakes
Very hot cakes indeed!

Abstract yourself!
post #290 of 304 Old 05-28-2020, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

OK guys, here's my looooong awaited (like 18 years) PDF showing the design elements of my theater. Enjoy!

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...y-theater.html

Samsung The Wall Lux
Sony XBR-65A1E
post #291 of 304 Old 05-28-2020, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptrubey View Post
OK guys, here's my looooong awaited (like 18 years) PDF showing the design elements of my theater. Enjoy!

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...y-theater.html

wow!

that's pretty incredible. wow. what a gem you've created!
post #292 of 304 Old 05-30-2020, 04:37 PM

more data on the external temperature. i mentioned before that the internal temp is about ~130 F but i was able to get a thermal imager to take a couple of pics of the external temperature.

the temp was about 80 F after the first 10 minutes or so.

then about an hour later it was up to about 118 or so at the peak, and around the edges of the screen it was closer to 105 or so.

post #293 of 304 Old 06-01-2020, 05:32 PM

To the owners and prospective owners, please indulge one final spiel on the merits of Kaleidescape for the Wall:

“Color me a precisionist but I would prefer my G700 devoid of Embraer parts.”

When I was talking to Samsung’s North America videowall Director, I touched on the subject of 3D, He said: “with really good 4k HDR rec 2020 content the image on the Wall will give you the effect of 3D without glasses”.

FILE SIZES
I confess that 3D statement has been intriguing to me, what could that ultimate image be like? So I did some research on Vudu and other apps to dig up file sizes. With apps, you typically get 11.25 Gigabytes per hour, with total file sizes per movie no greater than 25 gigs.

In Kaleidescape, quite a bit of HDR content appears to be pushing the limits of BT 2020 color, (as seen in RGB Laser projectors the only ones that fill that color space). While the average K file sizes vary for HDR content, the Star Wars for example are 40 Gigabytes per hour but also there are tiles that hit 52 Gigabytes per hour. To me, this seems a worthwhile pursuit of further image perfection. Sure the immersive sound is uncompressed and that takes up space but doing ab comparisons with UHD BluRays the image is more solid on many tiles and certainly possesses much better visual signal to noise ratios than the 4k HDR streaming apps offer, this is axiomatic.

USER INTERFACE
Some of the Kaleidescape various user Interfaces are great man-machine interfaces for watching movies. Once you live with it, everything else might seem primitive in comparison.

SCENES and SCRIPTS
The Kaleidescape movies come with bookmarked short scenes that you can sample individually, or through concatenation with other epic finely-parsed scenes from one’s local movie library, one clip right after another to provide a unique non-linear way of content watching that can be the most adrenaline-inducing audiovisual experience one can have. Many manufacturers use this tool at CEDIA because it is an elegant way to Show-tell a great AV system.

Ie. Say you have friends over to experience the monster display for the first time, rather than sitting through a 2-hour movie you can better demonstrate the full range of the system by sequencing these immersive scenes of great beauty and cinematic impact. From the most colorful Planet Earth coral scenes to movie chase action scenes (many in full BT2020 color) alternating to keep you rivetted> From Star Wars iconic moments, James Bond, to heavy weaponry warfare, it can go on and on intensely with nail-biting clips.

Many K customers will attest the scripts are a most thrilling option to further enjoy their high-end theaters. The only problem is when it gets too hard gripping on to your Ipad as hands will sweat the most during the scripts.

Of course, I would not under any circumstance subject myself to such a rapid clip smorgasbord of choice content if I was taking hydroxychloroquine,. Absent that I exhort The Wall owners to consider it. There I salivate at the prospect. Won’t mention it again. Carry on!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	K Tiles.png
Views:	308
Size:	6.88 MB
ID:	2735878  
A7mad78 likes this.

"I have spoken."

Last edited by CP850-CLED; 06-01-2020 at 08:52 PM.
post #294 of 304 Old 06-01-2020, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Please, there are other threads for Kaleidescape. I happen to be one of the original owners of a K system. I've upgraded several times. First from their DVD rip only system, to using their mickey mouse third party Sony DVD carousel, to using their blu-ray carousel. At that point, when looking to upgrade the server and the various players to support 4K, I said no mas. Sorry, but streaming (both for series content and movie content) has eclipsed K for easy of use. And quality isn't bad and getting better all the time. With my gigabit Internet connection, streaming works faster than K, actually. But let's not debate K systems here please.
CP850-CLED likes this.

Samsung The Wall Lux
Sony XBR-65A1E
post #295 of 304 Old 06-01-2020, 08:54 PM

Does one need a Samsung brand Laptop in order to project to the Wall? The other commercial S displays appear to.

"I have spoken."
post #296 of 304 Old 06-01-2020, 10:04 PM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
@prefetch

Is this you’re wall they are talking about

http://www.movingimagetech.com/movin...ng-in-the-u-s/

Moving iMage Technologies (MIT), a leading manufacturer, distributor, and integrator in the cinema exhibition industry, announces we have sold and assisted Samsung Electronics America, Inc. to install the largest version of The Wall in United States. The 6×6 installation was completed in a private residence in Utah.

Previously MIT installed the first commercial 3.3p Samsung Onyx Direct View LED Cinema Screen in the U.S. for Star Cinema Grill in Richmond, Texas, and the Onyx demonstration screen in Winnetka, CA. Additionally MIT sold and installed the second ever unit of The Wall in a residence in San Diego.

The owner of the home in Utah, stated, “Samsung and MiT did an outstanding job installing The Wall system and performed all the critical tasks and communication in a professional manner. I am very proud to have teamed up with Samsung and MiT. With >UHD resolution and a screen size of 16ft wide and 9ft high, the picture and images are simply gorgeous!”

Bevan Wright, Executive Vice President, Operations at MIT, related, “It was a great experience working with Samsung to install The Wall system.”

Samsung recently introduced The Wall, the ground-breaking Micro LED, large-format modular display. Ideal for even the brightest areas of the luxury residential space, The Wall is configurable and customizable to a variety of sizes and ratios from 73” in 2K definition, to 292” in 8K definition. With a depth less than 30mm, the slim, bezel-less infinity design along with customizable décor frames allows the display to blend seamlessly into its surroundings, ensuring no disruption to the desired ambience of its environment.

The Wall offers a new user interface and experience. Based on research into the lifestyles of target consumers and their preferences, The Wall goes beyond just image quality and provides a personalized user experience. A customizable décor frame enhances the display and ensures it fits any luxury space. Thanks to the 100,000-hour lifetime of its self-emitting diodes, The Wall can be set to never turn off, but to change into a digital canvas best matching the owner`s interior needs and personal mood. When the screen is not used, the Ambient Mode can display a variety of curated art from paintings, photographs and video art to customizable pictures with digital frames – that best suit the homeowner’s tastes.

The Wall is also equipped with the AI picture quality engine, Quantum Processor Flex. This delivers optimized picture quality scene-by-scene, regardless of the original source format. Quantum Processor Flex is a machine learning-based picture quality engine that analyzes millions of image data to automatically calibrate the original low resolution according to the modular screen resolution.

Whether viewing a classic movie, an anticipated sporting event or the latest console game, AI upscaling, Quantum HDR technology peak brightness of 2,000 nits and 120Hz video rate provide a rich and superior visual experience that is second-to-none.

Moving Image Technologies (MiT) Moving Image Technologies (MiT) is a manufacturer and integrator of purpose built technology and equipment to support a wide variety of entertainment applications with a focus on motion picture exhibition. MiT offers a wide range of products and services such as custom engineering, systems design, integration and installation, enterprise software solution, digital cinema, A/V integration as well as customized solutions for emerging entertainment technology. MIT’s Rydt Entertainment Systems Division provides turnkey FFE solutions for new construction and remodels to include procurement, design, consulting, installation and project management. Based in Fountain Valley California, our 28,000 sq ft facility is home to our corporate offices, engineering, manufacturing, distribution, integration as well as service and support divisions. Our primary manufacturing and warehouse location is augmented by a global network of service partners & OEM manufacturers.

About Samsung Electronics America, Inc. As a global technology leader, Samsung Displays provides a diverse portfolio of enterprise technologies including digital signage, LED, hospitality TVs, and Desktop displays. Samsung puts the customer at the core of everything we do by delivering comprehensive products, solutions and services across diverse industries including retail, healthcare, hospitality, education and government. Samsung Displays is committed to helping customers realize the promise of a digital business. For more information, please visit samsung.com/business, call 1-866-SAM-4BIZ or follow Samsung Business via Twitter @Samsung BizUSA.
post #297 of 304 Old 06-02-2020, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP850-CLED View Post
Does one need a Samsung brand Laptop in order to project to the Wall? The other commercial S displays appear to.
No. I've projected to it using my PC laptop and a Mac laptop.
BiggerPicture and CP850-CLED like this.

Samsung The Wall Lux
Sony XBR-65A1E
post #298 of 304 Old 06-02-2020, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAttHEATLifer View Post
@prefetch

Is this you’re wall they are talking about

http://www.movingimagetech.com/movin...ng-in-the-u-s/
I'll answer for prefetch. Yes, that was the integrator for both my and his The Wall installs. In my case, the integrator did the rigging behind The Wall, and did all the usual integration stuff like running wiring, etc. I believe in both cases, Samsung techs then took over and did the panel by panel installation and calibration. At some point, integrators like Moving Image Technology will take over from Samsung to do the final calibration, but Samsung isn't there yet (or at least wasn't) with regard to training integrators. MiT is a good fit for The Wall since The Wall straddles the professional/home theater divide and MiT is primarily a commercial theater installer. But they didn't have a problem slumming it with our home theaters

One more thing - Samsung will not sell The Wall directly. They absolutely want you to have an integrator. No doubt they don't want to have to deal with minor issues like my plug came undone or some such. I got two quotes from two different integrators when pricing out The Wall, and MiT was cheaper than the other one. Samsung gives a margin to integrators (of course), and MiT recognizes that they can trim their usual markup since the price of The Wall is so high. The other integrator (a home theater only specialist) was greedier! Go figure.

Samsung The Wall Lux
Sony XBR-65A1E

Last edited by ptrubey; 06-02-2020 at 08:10 AM.
post #299 of 304 Old 06-02-2020, 08:32 AM

MiT seems to be cornering the market on this. They we're also retained for my upcoming LED wall installation. Good folks.
BiggerPicture and ptrubey like this.

Abstract yourself!
post #300 of 304 Old 06-02-2020, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorg View Post
MiT seems to be cornering the market on this. They we're also retained for my upcoming LED wall installation. Good folks.
OOh - what LED wall are you getting Bjorg? and what configuration?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page