Samsung The Wall Owners Thread 2019 - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 200Likes

post #31 of 141 Old 10-08-2019, 02:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptrubey View Post
At most 6" from the concrete wall since the curtains drop down at about 7" from the wall. That's plenty of space for these panels.
How'd it go?!?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 141 Old 10-08-2019, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
Curious? What is the estimated life of one of those panels?
Specs say the LEDs are rated for 100,000 hours! Who knows about the electronics, but as part of the package, you get (pay for) two extra panels that you leave on site for future repairs.
Ph8te likes this.

Sony 4K SXRD
Sony XBR-65A1E
post #33 of 141 Old 10-08-2019, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Anderko View Post
How'd it go?!?
Still installing it. Yesterday was spent getting the wood 2x4 backing up and building the metal frame, doing individual panel checkouts, etc.

Today they installed the metal frame, shimming it precisely to make sure it is square and level in three dimensions.

Right now, they are putting up the panels. They’ve got six up right now as I type with a random directv image showing across a few panels. See the stage footlights in my pics? They are on, blasting 4x60W incandescent lighting at the screen and I can’t even tell! Yikes!

I expect they’ll take most of tomorrow aligning them, getting rid of gaps, etc.

Sony 4K SXRD
Sony XBR-65A1E
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 141 Old 10-08-2019, 06:00 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1048 Post(s)
Liked: 720
End of the projector is here... :-)
post #35 of 141 Old 10-08-2019, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Sharma View Post
End of the projector is here... :-)
Yes, it is just a matter of time now. While the install process is more involved than putting up a screen, it isn’t that bad. Maybe an extra two days for a two man crew.

Remember when screen brightness changed a lot when we switched from crt projectors to now lcd, led, sxrd, etc projectors. Well this is another huge leap. We were just futzing around at the end of the day with all 16 panels installed and you couldn’t casually tell a difference from when the theater lights were on and when they were dim. We just plopped in the Elton John uhd movie and the blu-Ray menu loop had a bunch of flashing lights. I swear my eyes still have retina burn in from watching that. Obviously we will be turning down the brightness when we get to that point...

But yes, with a display like this you really, really do not need a dedicated theater room any more.
anthonymoody likes this.

Sony 4K SXRD
Sony XBR-65A1E
post #36 of 141 Old 10-08-2019, 09:29 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Yes, it is just a matter of time now. While the install process is more involved than putting up a screen, it isn’t that bad. Maybe an extra two days for a two man crew.

Remember when screen brightness changed a lot when we switched from crt projectors to now lcd, led, sxrd, etc projectors. Well this is another huge leap. We were just futzing around at the end of the day with all 16 panels installed and you couldn’t casually tell a difference from when the theater lights were on and when they were dim. We just plopped in the Elton John uhd movie and the blu-Ray menu loop had a bunch of flashing lights. I swear my eyes still have retina burn in from watching that. Obviously we will be turning down the brightness when we get to that point...

But yes, with a display like this you really, really do not need a dedicated theater room any more.
Believe you me… this is less futzing than what we are doing today with Video Processors – Suedo/DTM – no 3D  et all…
You will not need any help to get TRUE HDR and awesome 3D.
We can turn the theater on its head – no worries about must have dark bat caves and traditional sight lines…
If audio was not a huge issue – I would rather have the theater in an open social place – good both for football games with bunch of standing room only and a critical movie watching when that is required.
You are the pioneer my friend – maybe the first residential ‘The Wall’ owners thread on the planet - when the next new theater is built with ‘The Wall ‘ from ground up your input will be very useful.
Thanks for giving your useful insights to the avs community.
post #37 of 141 Old 10-08-2019, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter

Good point about audio. I kinda forgot about that . We really got that right in my theater. You clap your hands in it and it sounds halfway to an anechoic chamber. So yeah, lots of drapes, high intricate ceiling, padded fabric walls, carpet and padded furniture...

Sony 4K SXRD
Sony XBR-65A1E
post #38 of 141 Old 10-08-2019, 10:07 PM - Thread Starter

Just playing around with the included Samsung media box. It has everything you’d want. Netflix, HBO, Hulu, ESPN, Sunday Ticket, UFC, DAZN, etc. And it has Apple TV! So no more separate Apple TV box, no wondering if you’ve got the HDR settings right, the correct high speed HDMI cable etc.

Couldn’t figure out how to select audio out be the HDMI ARC connection rather than optical, but hopefully the Samsung guys will know how to do that tomorrow. HDMI ARC would be better than optical, right?
anthonymoody and Reddig like this.

Sony 4K SXRD
Sony XBR-65A1E
post #39 of 141 Old 10-08-2019, 10:15 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Just playing around with the included Samsung media box. It has everything you’d want. Netflix, HBO, Hulu, ESPN, Sunday Ticket, UFC, DAZN, etc. And it has Apple TV! So no more separate Apple TV box, no wondering if you’ve got the HDR settings right, the correct high speed HDMI cable etc.

Couldn’t figure out how to select audio out be the HDMI ARC connection rather than optical, but hopefully the Samsung guys will know how to do that tomorrow. HDMI ARC would be better than optical, right?
How is the service promised on this uber expensive rig? White Gold - Valet - Butler etc....
Impressive that they are on site a few days to get this going .... I am thinking down the road if they have issues will they fly in and help?
The Apple TV (app) on my QLED is not the same as the Apple TV 4K Puck but I am sure you can connect it to the media hub if you need.
I will reserve my opinions on the audio - I agree one can have the best room but my comment was about - say a room with Trinnov 30 channel audio system.
post #40 of 141 Old 10-08-2019, 10:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1730 Post(s)
Liked: 4975
So cool! Any pictures?
post #41 of 141 Old 10-09-2019, 05:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 5082 Post(s)
Liked: 3930
Given the inability for a behind the screen center channel, a Trinnov will be a mandatory "accessory" . Plus, the typical acoustic treatment behind the "screen" won't be applicable so the front screen wall would be very reflective.

But I have no doubt that this technology will eventually replace projectors and screens. I recall that the original 42" flat panel was $20,000 and today they can be had for under $200. And while I can't imagine the volume of sales of this technology will be anywhere near that of flat panels, I could see this technology being well less than $100,000 in the next +10 years or so.

Very cool technology.

Mark 10:45 ][Home Theater of The Month: The Oconee Theater][ Music by Leslie Austin on Spotify ][
Isaiah 54:10
post #42 of 141 Old 10-09-2019, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Sharma View Post
The Apple TV (app) on my QLED is not the same as the Apple TV 4K Puck but I am sure you can connect it to the media hub if you need.
How is it different?

Sony 4K SXRD
Sony XBR-65A1E
post #43 of 141 Old 10-09-2019, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Given the inability for a behind the screen center channel, a Trinnov will be a mandatory "accessory" . Plus, the typical acoustic treatment behind the "screen" won't be applicable so the front screen wall would be very reflective.
Samsung is typically the leader in anti reflective technology for TVs and these have some special coating, so I'm lead to believe these handle reflections extreme well.

Quote:
But I have no doubt that this technology will eventually replace projectors and screens. I recall that the original 42" flat panel was $20,000 and today they can be had for under $200. And while I can't imagine the volume of sales of this technology will be anywhere near that of flat panels, I could see this technology being well less than $100,000 in the next +10 years or so.

Very cool technology.
Yeah, IHS is expecting a decrease of 80% in prices of the larger sized micro-led by 2026. With that expectation

https://news.ihsmarkit.com/press-rel...-market-produc

Most of those shipments will be on smaller devices like wearables. Apple seems to want to have the technology on their watches. Makes sense so you can even see if in the middle of a sunny day.
post #44 of 141 Old 10-09-2019, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by subacabra View Post
So cool! Any pictures?
Patience. No point taking pictures now until they have aligned the panels and done color calibration. Here’s a picture of what it looked like before they put the panels on. This is after they removed the metal rigging to ensure everything was squared. Actually, the second picture is a sideways view when they had put up a few panels so you can see the thickness compared to the 2x4 and plank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4DFA0C31-12E9-4B13-94BC-C5241B15F9CF_1570632712545.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	163.3 KB
ID:	2625730   Click image for larger version

Name:	240E32EF-E8D5-4FC0-A7FA-754D9B0B6AFD_1570632732888.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	2625732  

Sony 4K SXRD
Sony XBR-65A1E

Last edited by ptrubey; 10-09-2019 at 08:56 AM.
post #45 of 141 Old 10-09-2019, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airikay View Post
Samsung is typically the leader in anti reflective technology for TVs and these have some special coating, so I'm lead to believe these handle reflections extreme well.
Yes, so far I've seen zero evidence of reflections.

Sony 4K SXRD
Sony XBR-65A1E
post #46 of 141 Old 10-09-2019, 09:09 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
How is it different?
The QLED is in my Master Bedroom so I dont care about the audio from it (no ATMOS system here) so I can't comment on that. But If I click on the Apple TV App all it shows is the stuff in my iTunes (movies etc) unlike on a Apple TV puck where you have all kind of settings etc such as frame rate color etc ....
The iTunes movie I played did not look right to me as compared to when I use the Apple TV puck connected to the one connect box of this TV.
It may be worth to try connecting a puck and comparing and if you don't see a difference you can always take the puck off.
I predict when you watch 3D on the Wall TV - you will have characters floating in the theater - A Turtle Tale Sammy's Adventure 3D will be a must have ..... that will be the highlight.
post #47 of 141 Old 10-09-2019, 09:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 5082 Post(s)
Liked: 3930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airikay View Post

I was referring to acoustic reflection, not visual.
jeno likes this.

Mark 10:45 ][Home Theater of The Month: The Oconee Theater][ Music by Leslie Austin on Spotify ][
Isaiah 54:10
post #48 of 141 Old 10-09-2019, 09:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1058 Post(s)
Liked: 591
Quote:

HDMI ARC is the only way to get uncompressed audio from your player, optical maxes at 5.1. I would assume your running everything, your sources, to a surround processor and then out to amps for the speakers. From the "Wall" I don't know if the apps or what not have uncompressed audio or not, if it maxes out at 5.1 optical is fine.
post #49 of 141 Old 10-09-2019, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 848 Post(s)
Liked: 635
WRT the AppleTV vs. in-built AppleTV app (and other in-built apps...), I've always found that the apps on an external AppleTV get updated far more quickly and frequently than do the in-built apps on TVs, whether Samsung or LG. So whether you're talking about iTunes content, Netflix, or otherwise, I always prefer the external AppleTV box as the source.

In any case, I am so excited for you and your Wall! HOLY SMOKES.

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
post #50 of 141 Old 10-09-2019, 01:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 187 Post(s)
Quoted: 1495 Post(s)
Liked: 2097
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Looks like I stumbled across this thread at the perfect time! Excited for you man. Can't wait to see some pics.
post #51 of 141 Old 10-09-2019, 01:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1862 Post(s)
Liked: 1287
I'm in awe.

Not jealous though. I would hate to have to keep that room clean. You probably have a maid. And I like to pig out while watching TV. I would worry about dripping mustard, potato chip crumbs and such. My kids would invite their friends over and I would have a coronary. I would prefer being a non-reciprocating visitor. Not an owner.

Hope everything works out.
post #52 of 141 Old 10-09-2019, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Stunning room and groundbreaking install Ptrubey - thanks so much for sharing. This has to be the future of very large/premium screens starting right here...

Can I ask if there have been any thoughts taken about heat production? Those 240 volts / 20Amps are all going into the room as heat after all... Do you know yet if the heat produced from each 300w panel goes backwards from the rear of the panels? or is it mostly radiated forwards into the room?

Thanks again for the pioneering steps you're taking - best wishes for a great outcome.

.....saving for my upgrade to Hidef Digital in Christmas 2002
post #53 of 141 Old 10-09-2019, 02:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1047 Post(s)
Liked: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by liffie420 View Post
HDMI ARC is the only way to get uncompressed audio from your player, optical maxes at 5.1. I would assume your running everything, your sources, to a surround processor and then out to amps for the speakers. From the "Wall" I don't know if the apps or what not have uncompressed audio or not, if it maxes out at 5.1 optical is fine.
Uhhhh...no -- did you mean HDMI eARC, because that's the only thing that can carry more than two channels of lossless (bitstreamed lossless compressed, actually) data. ARC has the same limitations as S/P-DIF and adds the ability to negotiate capability and possibly have better max bandwidth guarantees (though, many S/P-DIF devices have enough bandwidth to carry DD+, it's not a guarantee). Regardless, DD+ is lossy, so...the only uncompressed audio that's able to go over S/P-DIF (and thus ARC) is up to 2-channel 192/24 PCM; multi-channel is always compressed!
Ph8te likes this.
post #54 of 141 Old 10-09-2019, 02:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWarrior View Post
Uhhhh...no -- did you mean HDMI eARC, because that's the only thing that can carry more than two channels of lossless (bitstreamed lossless compressed, actually) data. ARC has the same limitations as S/P-DIF and adds the ability to negotiate capability and possibly have better max bandwidth guarantees (though, many S/P-DIF devices have enough bandwidth to carry DD+, it's not a guarantee). Regardless, DD+ is lossy, so...the only uncompressed audio that's able to go over S/P-DIF (and thus ARC) is up to 2-channel 192/24 PCM; multi-channel is always compressed!
I am pretty sure you can send lossless Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD over HDMI, maybe not ARC
post #55 of 141 Old 10-09-2019, 03:00 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 6568 Post(s)
Liked: 6326
Quote:
Originally Posted by liffie420 View Post
I am pretty sure you can send lossless Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD over HDMI, maybe not ARC

You can over HDMI, but as the other poster said ARC is limited to lossy playback. You’d need a display and AVR that supported HDMI eARC to get lossless from the TV. HDMI ≠ ARC or eARC, those are just available features.
DreamWarrior likes this.
post #56 of 141 Old 10-09-2019, 03:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
You can over HDMI, but as the other poster said ARC is limited to lossy playback. You’d need a display and AVR that supported HDMI eARC to get lossless from the TV. HDMI ≠ ARC or eARC, those are just available features.
Yeah your probably right, I use optical from my TV anyway. None of the apps I have on my tv produce more than 5.1 max and that's all I have anyway. I always heard nightmare stories of ARC being REALLY sketchy so I by passed all that and went for old reliable lol.
post #57 of 141 Old 10-09-2019, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Oh wow. Thanks for the info about ARC. I didn't realize ARC had the same specs as optical. Since the media box says ARC and not eARC on it, I assume it is just ARC. Might as well use optical.

As far as heat goes, yeah, it does pump out heat. If you stand on that stage near the screen you can feel it. Most of the heat goes upwards and I happen to have an HVAC return at the top above the screen. As it turns out, the HVAC for the theater isn't well balanced due to the stadium seating. The front seats are noticeably colder than the back row. So having some radiated heat at the front is actually going to help.

Sony 4K SXRD
Sony XBR-65A1E
post #58 of 141 Old 10-09-2019, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
As far as heat goes, yeah, it does pump out heat. If you stand on that stage near the screen you can feel it. Most of the heat goes upwards and I happen to have an HVAC return at the top above the screen. As it turns out, the HVAC for the theater isn't well balanced due to the stadium seating. The front seats are noticeably colder than the back row. So having some radiated heat at the front is actually going to help.
Ahh - it's good that the heat goes forwards rather than backwards - an HVAC intake should take care of it, in winter turn the AC off and enjoy.

.....saving for my upgrade to Hidef Digital in Christmas 2002
post #59 of 141 Old 10-09-2019, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggerPicture View Post
Ahh - it's good that the heat goes forwards rather than backwards - an HVAC intake should take care of it, in winter turn the AC off and enjoy.
What is this "winter" of which you speak? Since this room is completely buried underground (it has two feet of soil on top of the 1' thick concrete ceiling), and all the lighting is old style incandescent, and we're in San Diego, the problem is always getting rid of heat.

I think the theater was telling me it was time to switch over to a display as the AC unit for the projector box conked out recently as well.

Sony 4K SXRD
Sony XBR-65A1E
post #60 of 141 Old 10-09-2019, 04:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 795 Post(s)
Liked: 1132
Samsung The Wall Owners Thread 2019

Over here waiting to see the completed pictures. Lol

But seriously congrats! Stunning room! Can’t wait to see it finished!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by ccool96; 10-09-2019 at 04:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page