Samsung The Wall Owners Thread 2019 - Page 6 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 235Likes

post #151 of 159 Old 01-07-2020, 01:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 213
So.....what's better? A 110 inch modular Samsung Micro LED or a JVC RS3000 with a 110 inch Stewart Screen? LOL.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 159 Old 01-07-2020, 02:16 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1337 Post(s)
Liked: 1810
Quote:
Originally Posted by SED <--- Rules View Post
So.....what's better? A 110 inch modular Samsung Micro LED or a JVC RS3000 with a 110 inch Stewart Screen? LOL.
If you have the money the Samsung if you don't the JVC.

Art
bjorg, woofer, ptrubey and 4 others like this.
post #153 of 159 Old 01-08-2020, 06:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post
If you have the money the Samsung if you don't the JVC.

Art
ITRI showcasing modularized micro LED display at CES 2020
Siu Han, Taipei; Adam Hwang, DIGITIMES Wednesday 8 January 2020 0 Toggle Dropdown
Taiwan-based Industrial Technology Research Institute (ITRI) is exhibiting at CES 2020 a 16.7-inch modularized micro LED display that it claims is the world's first model directly mass transferring micro LED chips onto PCB backplanes without using temporary backplanes.

The government-sponsored ITRI uses in-house-developed mass transfer technology, with PlayNitride supplying micro LEDs, Unimicron providing PCB backplanes and Macroblock providing driver ICs and handling display assembly.

The modularized display is formed by stacking 15 micro LED modules each measuring 6x10cm, with a pitch of about 650 microns, ITRI noted. Each module consists of 45,000 micro LED chips of below 100 microns in diameter, and the modules can be mosaicked into displays of different sizes, ITRI indicated.

Direct mass transfer of micro LEDs onto backplanes is 20% lower in production cost than using temporary ones, but such a process is technologically challenging due to high warpage of PCB backplanes, ITRI explained.

As yield rates for blue- and green-light micro LED chips stand at 99.99% and those for red-light micro LED chips at 99% currently, ITRI aims to improve its mass transfer technology as well as production of micro LED chips via cooperation with PlayNitride to hike over yield rates.

ITRI will develop mass transfer of micro LED chips onto glass backplanes in 2020, with such micro LED displays to be used in gaming monitors. ITRI will also develop mass transfer of micro LEDs onto Si-based backplanes for AR applications in 2022-2023.

Macroblock set up production lines for mini LED and micro LED display modules in the second half of 2019 and started trial production in the fourth quarter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #154 of 159 Old 01-08-2020, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Be careful of random microled displays. Other manufacturers also have them, but they can have problems like poor contrast ratio, seams, slow response, you name it.

So, to respond to a post above - yes, I was going to put together a design document, actually, of my theater with lots of detailed pictures. But, I got busy. It's on my to do list!

Samsung The Wall Lux
Sony XBR-65A1E
post #155 of 159 Old 01-09-2020, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2544 Post(s)
Liked: 2384
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptrubey View Post
Oh wow. Thanks for the info about ARC. I didn't realize ARC had the same specs as optical. Since the media box says ARC and not eARC on it, I assume it is just ARC. Might as well use optical.
You didn't mention if you have an Atmos capable speaker configuration or not. You can get DD+ with Atmos over ARC from sources such as Netflix if the display manufacturer supports it, but Atmos via optical is not possible as far as I know.

CJ
JVC RS500|LG B7A OLED|Denon X6400H/X4200W|Panasonic UB820|Two Oppo 203|Samsung K8500|Apple TV 4K|HDfury Diva/Vertex/Linker/Integral
post #156 of 159 Old 01-10-2020, 04:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptrubey View Post
Be careful of random microled displays. Other manufacturers also have them, but they can have problems like poor contrast ratio, seams, slow response, you name it.
The LG, Sony, Samsung walls had roughly equal visual quality on the CES floor this week to my eyes. The TCL wall meanwhile was not on par.

I am concerned about a couple of underlying details for a deployment we're building targeting December 2020.

* Samsung broadly has not supported Dolby Vision. I assume that extends to The Wall which seems like a major limiting factor given that DV is very compelling in a device with such excellent color/brightness capabilities.
* If lack of DV were an issue, Sony might be an alternative, but apparently their Crystal LED is much more expensive than The Wall, or possibly just not marketed to any normal human at this time.
* I am seeing conflicting reports on *total power requirements*. I thought one 20A circuit could handle it. When that plan passed through my integrator, it came back with 6 separate circuits which could be prohibitive. Possibly I'm just reading it wrong. What is the total amperage at max load of the Wall in a typical configuration such as that described in most of this thread?
post #157 of 159 Old 01-10-2020, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphers72 View Post
The LG, Sony, Samsung walls had roughly equal visual quality on the CES floor this week to my eyes. The TCL wall meanwhile was not on par.

* I am seeing conflicting reports on *total power requirements*. I thought one 20A circuit could handle it. When that plan passed through my integrator, it came back with 6 separate circuits which could be prohibitive. Possibly I'm just reading it wrong. What is the total amperage at max load of the Wall in a typical configuration such as that described in most of this thread?
For the 4K wall, 146” diagonal, 16 panels, I am powering them via a single 240v, 20A circuit. You could also use two 120V, 20A circuits. Regardless of 120v or 240v, it also wants 4 receptacles. So in my case I bought four C13 to nema 6-20 cords of varying lengths and plugged the four cords into a duplex electrical box with two duplex 6-20 receptacles all wired to the one 240v, 20A circuit.

The electrical specs are indeed confusing since four panels are connected together for power so the electrical specs talk about max power than can flow though one panel (ie four panels worth of power).

Samsung The Wall Lux
Sony XBR-65A1E
post #158 of 159 Old 01-10-2020, 11:32 PM - Thread Starter

Also, I believe The Wall supports HDR10+, not Dolby Vision.

Samsung The Wall Lux
Sony XBR-65A1E
post #159 of 159 Old 01-11-2020, 06:31 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphers72 View Post

I am concerned about a couple of underlying details for a deployment we're building targeting December 2020.

* Samsung broadly has not supported Dolby Vision. I assume that extends to The Wall which seems like a major limiting factor given that DV is very compelling in a device with such excellent color/brightness capabilities.
To hell with Dolby Vision, score one for Samsung.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page