The Mcintosh MX170 A/V Processor Thread - Page 17 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 253Likes

post #481 of 488 Old 03-10-2020, 05:31 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethos4Lyfe View Post
hey guys!

currently running a 5.1 (soon to be 7.1) setup. considering leaving my marantz 8805 for mx170. i know its a pretty big jump, but curious about what sonic differences i can expect? i know this model will have room perfect, which is dramatically better than audyssey (from what i've read). but other than that, what else can i look forward to? i know a friend has the c2600 (i think) and at 35% it gets louder than his avr when thats at reference. gear is as follows:

Amps: Krell 5200, Cherry 3 channel
Speakers: JTR 212RTs (LR), 210RM (center), 110HTs (rears) and potentially another pair of 110HTs coming for the sides. Hence the second amp (cherry) that I just bought this week.
Sub: Rythmik G25HP

sorry for the noobish questions, i've just never heard mac in my room or in this setup. thanks in advance!
I’️ve had both and not to be mean but the 170 is in a different league. I did like the 8805 a lot though and would not hesitate to suggest it but if someone has the budget and the complimentary components to go with it then it’️s not even close.

[IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
Oh great! I don’t take that as mean at all, appreciate the feedback. With my associated gear listed above, think the difference will be pretty significant? Or I guess worth while?

Speakers: JTR 212RTs - JTR 210RM - JTR 110HTs/Bedroom: ML Ethos - ML Motion 30
Subwoofer: Rythmik G25HPSE (serial #00002)
Audio Gear: Marantz 8805 - Krell Chorus 5200 - BS Node 2i - Oppo 203
TV: LG 65 OLED/Bedroom: Samsung Q8 QLED
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 488 Old 03-12-2020, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1291 Post(s)
Liked: 903
I tested a MX122 vs MX160 at the dealers store with the same exact equipment and there was no doubt the improvement. Left with the MX160. I also have an 8805 in our family room. Different equipment makes it more difficult to truly compare as the theater has better amps, speakers, etc. You should be pleased with a MX170!
post #483 of 488 Old 03-15-2020, 04:18 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Recently joined the MX170 club! Watched my first movie last night and I'm so impressed. I haven't even ran RP yet. Plan to do that and calibrate my NX7 after about 50 hours. Great Thread!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1986.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	2698108   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1983.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	2698110  
daimler2015 and UptownLG like this.

Budget? What's that?
The Meta Theater 1.0
The Meta Theater 2.0
HiFi - Wilson Audio Sasha 2 / Pass Laps XP-30 / Pass Labs XA-160.8 / DCS Bartok DAC / Synergistic Atmosphere 1 Interconnects and Cables / Synergistic PowerCell SX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #484 of 488 Old 03-15-2020, 09:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstrimel View Post
Recently joined the MX170 club! Watched my first movie last night and I'm so impressed. I haven't even ran RP yet. Plan to do that and calibrate my NX7 after about 50 hours. Great Thread!

Awesome. Congrats! Setup looks great.

I currently have the MX160 and am considering the jump to the 170 vs Trinnov Altitude. Tough call, but the Trinnov folks absolutely love their gear. More customization for more speakers...
svpdog likes this.
post #485 of 488 Old 03-19-2020, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethos4Lyfe View Post
Oh great! I don’t take that as mean at all, appreciate the feedback. With my associated gear listed above, think the difference will be pretty significant? Or I guess worth while?
I would like to share some of my experiences since I have both Mx 160 and 123. The 160 is in my theater room with oppo 205 & B & W 800D3's,DB1 sub. I recently purchased the D800's and found them a bit bright and harsh. First I ran the Room Perfect and was astounded at the improvement. The mid/lowers were fuller and richer along with smoothing the highs. It was unbelievable. I then replaced my old monster speaker cables with new Audio Quest cables...another noticeable improvement and I am NOT normal a 'cable' guy. With the B & W's they are just plug and play with no set up. By comparison my upstairs system is the 123 and Vandersteen Quatro CT speakers. It took the installer and I over an hour to set them up using the Vandersteen disc and a spl. They sounded wonderful and are the finest available for the money. I then set up Audessey and in my (an my wife's opinion) they sounded worse. Summary I am a super fan of the 160/170 Room Perfect and if anyone is considering the purchase I would highly recommend it although it is a huge budget hit. My experiences with Audessey have been marginal. When I spoke with Richard Vandersteen he really does not like room correction but after all the set up his higher end speakers need I clearly understand it.
RapalloAV likes this.
post #486 of 488 Old 03-21-2020, 04:18 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstrimel View Post

Outstanding theater! BTW, what fans are you using in your rack to keep things cool?
post #487 of 488 Old 03-21-2020, 06:32 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by svpdog View Post
Outstanding theater! BTW, what fans are you using in your rack to keep things cool?
At the bottom of my rack i'm using an AC Infinity Cloudplate T7-N which is an intake bringing cooler air into the rack. Then near the top i'm using an AC Infinity Cloudplate T5 Pro as an exhaust. In addition my closet has an AC supply and return so it stays pretty cool in there.
svpdog likes this.

Budget? What's that?
The Meta Theater 1.0
The Meta Theater 2.0
HiFi - Wilson Audio Sasha 2 / Pass Laps XP-30 / Pass Labs XA-160.8 / DCS Bartok DAC / Synergistic Atmosphere 1 Interconnects and Cables / Synergistic PowerCell SX
post #488 of 488 Old Yesterday, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I am about to buy a new processor, and the MX-170 is high in my list of candidates. In the pictures of the unit, there are four AUX XLR outputs. Reading through the thread I believe these can assigned as additional LFE channels (I currently own two subs). Can they be assigned as additional speaker channels? I have one unused amp channel, how can I use the unused amp channel? Can it be assigned as a top center channel? Or as a third ATMOS channel?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page