The Mcintosh MX170 A/V Processor Thread - Page 18 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 267Likes

post #511 of 522 Old 06-09-2020, 02:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hgosmelbfl View Post
I am a current owner of a Marantz 8805 processor, and I am looking at upgrading to the new McIntosh MX 170. I have not been happy with Audyssey Room correction, and have heard great things about Room Perfect. I have read through the MX 170 pages and I need some clearificatiom on one thing. My question to the MX 170 owners is it possible to play multichannel sacd’s through the MX 170? I currently am using a Oppo 205 playing through the 8805, I understand it will work with MX 123 which is a upgraded 8805. Any help on this matter would be much appreciated.
I have a MX160 with Oppo 205 and in order to play SACD’s (DSD) I had to specify PCM in the oppo setup. It works perfectly. The 160/170 convert everything to PCM. I do not find this any problem. In an other system With the MX123 I a/b PCM vs DSD on a SACD and I could not hear any difference. I like Room Perfect on the 160 far better than Audessey. I even just bypass Audessey on the MX123 and use manual set up. Since Room Perfect utilizes All PCM That May be a limitation for those who want analog for vinyl etc.

Hope this works for you.
hgosmelbfl likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 522 Old 06-09-2020, 05:08 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmacvan View Post
I have a MX160 with Oppo 205 and in order to play SACD’s (DSD) I had to specify PCM in the oppo setup. It works perfectly. The 160/170 convert everything to PCM. I do not find this any problem. In an other system With the MX123 I a/b PCM vs DSD on a SACD and I could not hear any difference. I like Room Perfect on the 160 far better than Audessey. I even just bypass Audessey on the MX123 and use manual set up. Since Room Perfect utilizes All PCM That May be a limitation for those who want analog for vinyl etc.

Hope this works for you.
Thanks for the response, was that two channel or multichannel sacd via pcm through HDMI or would I have to use the 5.1 via rca out of the Oppo 205.
post #513 of 522 Old 06-10-2020, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Thanks for the response, was that two channel or multichannel sacd via pcm through HDMI or would I have to use the 5.1 via rca out of the Oppo 205.
That was multichannel, I tried both oppo hdmi audio only and a/v with successful 5.1 . I would imagine the 7 channel oppo analog outputs would also work but since the 160 converts everything to PCM including analog inputs I found no improvement using the oppo 7 channel outputs. I want to expand on my results with Room Perfect. I have B & W 800’s along with MC302 amp and I found them a bit harsh before any room correction. When I set up the rest of my Atmos system the 800’s smoothed significantly along with richer bass. I now play two channel using RP and is way better.

I have spent a fair amount of time on this since I got the 160 in 2016. It was not ready for prime time! Many updates and tweaks and I now love it. I had a lower end Marantz in my upstairs system that gave me trouble. I replaced it with the MX123 and the sound improvement was incredible. Interesting but my wife now insists on McIntosh.

Good Luck
hgosmelbfl likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #514 of 522 Old 06-17-2020, 04:35 PM

As I’m finalizing my final decision on the MX170, I have another quick question, I plan on using front and rear subwoofers via the four aux inputs. My question is when setting up the subs through the processor(mx170) does it have a gain(volume) where I can adjust the subwoofer volume higher or lower through the processor. Any input would much appreciated. Thanks in advance
post #515 of 522 Old 06-18-2020, 06:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi ya Guys,
Been following the thread and recently received my MX170, I originally was using the Arcam AV860 and have few questions when it comes to multi sub setups.

Currently I'm using REL S/812, I have stack of 3 of them for each left and right channel total of 6 subwoofers, they are connected to my mono blocks (PS Audio BHKs) via the High frequency paired with KEF Blade speakers, REL recommends to hook them up via LFE as well.

On my Arcam AV860 I used a XLR splitter for the LFE to each stack of subs, I was wondering what would be the best approach when setting up the MX170 speaker configuration? dedicated Left and right for subs or using LFE labeled output in the speaker configuration page and using XLR splitter?

also I'm a newbie to the forums and was curious how to receive the latest/beta firmware's for the MX170?

Thanks guys!
post #516 of 522 Old 06-20-2020, 02:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
I am a current owner of a Marantz 8805 processor, and I am looking at upgrading to the new McIntosh MX 170. I have not been happy with Audyssey Room correction, and have heard great things about Room Perfect. I have read through the MX 170 pages and I need some clearificatiom on one thing. My question to the MX 170 owners is it possible to play multichannel sacd’s through the MX 170? I currently am using a Oppo 205 playing through the 8805, I understand it will work with MX 123 which is a upgraded 8805. Any help on this matter would be much appreciated.
Your question illustrate my problems with the MX 170, which I'd otherwise like to buy.

It will play multi channel SACD via HDMI, but not with a DSD signal. You'll need to have your Oppo send it to the 170 as PCM. The Marantz 8805 will accept multi channel DSD. I've tried to find out about the MX 123 but still don't know if it will accept multi channel DSD. So the answer to your question is that the MX 170 will play multi channel SACD from your Oppo once converted to PCM.

While the MX 170 will surpass the 8805 for HT, Room Perfect is really good, I don't like what Mac has done with two channel. You cannot bypass the DAC in the MX 170. So the truly excellent DAC in the Oppo 205 cannot be used for two channel listening. Mac should have provided a Pure Direct mode, like the one in the 8805, so the owner could have the same options for two channel listening. I believe they felt owners would want to use Room Perfect in all cases, so they didn't concern themselves with a Pure Direct mode.

My situation is somewhat unique. I have a dedicated, fully treated media room. Two channel sounds best with no room correction. I'd like to plug my Marantz SA10 into a MX 170 and have the best of both worlds. Room Perfect for HT and a pure analog pass through for two channel. As nobody makes what I'm looking for I continue to use my aging Denon AVP. But it still works really well in a room that doesn't need a ton of correction.
post #517 of 522 Old 06-20-2020, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by egrady View Post
Your question illustrate my problems with the MX 170, which I'd otherwise like to buy.

It will play multi channel SACD via HDMI, but not with a DSD signal. You'll need to have your Oppo send it to the 170 as PCM. The Marantz 8805 will accept multi channel DSD. I've tried to find out about the MX 123 but still don't know if it will accept multi channel DSD. So the answer to your question is that the MX 170 will play multi channel SACD from your Oppo once converted to PCM.

While the MX 170 will surpass the 8805 for HT, Room Perfect is really good, I don't like what Mac has done with two channel. You cannot bypass the DAC in the MX 170. So the truly excellent DAC in the Oppo 205 cannot be used for two channel listening. Mac should have provided a Pure Direct mode, like the one in the 8805, so the owner could have the same options for two channel listening. I believe they felt owners would want to use Room Perfect in all cases, so they didn't concern themselves with a Pure Direct mode.

My situation is somewhat unique. I have a dedicated, fully treated media room. Two channel sounds best with no room correction. I'd like to plug my Marantz SA10 into a MX 170 and have the best of both worlds. Room Perfect for HT and a pure analog pass through for two channel. As nobody makes what I'm looking for I continue to use my aging Denon AVP. But it still works really well in a room that doesn't need a ton of correction.
Thanks for the clarification on the MX170 with multichannel playback. I really don’t know how much of a difference the dac’s will sound, what I do know is that Oppo 205 and the Marantz 8805 sounds fantastic in my system, very happy with two channel and multichannel playback. Like you, I have a dedicated media room which I use for home theater and my 2 channel playback. My other concern with MX 170 is with vinyl playback, I have searched the forums for users with MX 170 and turntables and found very little feedback. I have a fairly high end turntable and dedicated phono stage which I enjoy very much. Any thoughts or input on that would be appreciated.
post #518 of 522 Old 06-21-2020, 04:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification on the MX170 with multichannel playback. I really don’t know how much of a difference the dac’s will sound, what I do know is that Oppo 205 and the Marantz 8805 sounds fantastic in my system, very happy with two channel and multichannel playback. Like you, I have a dedicated media room which I use for home theater and my 2 channel playback. My other concern with MX 170 is with vinyl playback, I have searched the forums for users with MX 170 and turntables and found very little feedback. I have a fairly high end turntable and dedicated phono stage which I enjoy very much. Any thoughts or input on that would be appreciated.
I can see why you bought the 8805. Given your needs it checks more boxes than the MX170. The only thing the Mac would give you is better sound for HT use, because of RP, your two channel is better served with the Marantz. Once you mentioned vinyl that sealed it. You really don't want vinyl going through a DAC.

You appear to be looking for the same thing I am. A high end AVP with all the latest HT options, Room Perfect and an analog bypass. Preferably one that is fully balanced, that is input to output. As of right now the 8805 comes closest, but even at that I'd put my Denon AVP against it or any other AVP for two channels listening in a room that doesn't need much correction.

In a perfect world, that means cost aside, your best choice is the MX 170 AND a top notch high end pre amp with a HT bypass. There is no one box solution to what we want.
post #519 of 522 Old 06-21-2020, 08:07 PM

Quote:
I can see why you bought the 8805. Given your needs it checks more boxes than the MX170. The only thing the Mac would give you is better sound for HT use, because of RP, your two channel is better served with the Marantz. Once you mentioned vinyl that sealed it. You really don't want vinyl going through a DAC.

You appear to be looking for the same thing I am. A high end AVP with all the latest HT options, Room Perfect and an analog bypass. Preferably one that is fully balanced, that is input to output. As of right now the 8805 comes closest, but even at that I'd put my Denon AVP against it or any other AVP for two channels listening in a room that doesn't need much correction.

In a perfect world, that means cost aside, your best choice is the MX 170 AND a top notch high end pre amp with a HT bypass. There is no one box solution to what we want.
Egrady, thanks again for the input on the MX 170, I used to be a big Parasound guy and had a JC2 BP with HT bypass. Just recently I switched over to some PS Audio components, they have a BHK preamplifier that might be a option with HT bypass. Also I did some research today and McIntosh has a beautiful tube preamplifier C2700 which might be useful for my turntable, Oppo205 and my Bluesound Vault 2. It seems a little ridiculous to purchase the MX 170 and then have to buy the 2700 for the analog components, but I’m sure that the C2700 preamplifier should sound really good for my turntable and my Oppo 205 as well. Any thoughts are always appreciated.
post #520 of 522 Old 06-22-2020, 01:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It seems a little ridiculous to purchase the MX 170 and then have to buy the 2700 for the analog components, but I’m sure that the C2700 preamplifier should sound really good for my turntable oand my Oppo 205 as well. Any thoughts are always appreciated.

I feel your pain, but on the other hand Mac is feeling our pain. No analog bypass, no sale.

One other thing, I'd rethink a tube pre amp. Assuming it has a HT bypass you'd still have to turn it on if you ran your AVP through it. Burning tubes to watch video is problematical at best.

Last edited by egrady; 06-23-2020 at 09:32 AM.
post #521 of 522 Old 06-24-2020, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Egrady, thanks again for the input on the MX 170, I used to be a big Parasound guy and had a JC2 BP with HT bypass. Just recently I switched over to some PS Audio components, they have a BHK preamplifier that might be a option with HT bypass. Also I did some research today and McIntosh has a beautiful tube preamplifier C2700 which might be useful for my turntable, Oppo205 and my Bluesound Vault 2. It seems a little ridiculous to purchase the MX 170 and then have to buy the 2700 for the analog components, but I’m sure that the C2700 preamplifier should sound really good for my turntable and my Oppo 205 as well. Any thoughts are always appreciated.
I can vouch for the BHK preamp, its beautifully sounding and with the Tungsram PCC88 tubes. Plus it has a HT Bypass, Personally I run a XLR switching box switch between my "Music setup" or to my "Home theater setup",
Music setup
DAC - Preamp - Amplifier - Speakers
Home Theater
MX170 - Amplifier - Speakers

The XLR switcher box I use is "ARX ABS-1 Audibox XLR A/B Switcher" and I control it with a smart plug with Logitech harmony remote, So I never have to leave my seat when switching between setups and with minimal equipment in the signal path.
post #522 of 522 Old 06-28-2020, 12:27 PM

Quote:
I feel your pain, but on the other hand Mac is feeling our pain. No analog bypass, no sale.

One other thing, I'd rethink a tube pre amp. Assuming it has a HT bypass you'd still have to turn it on if you ran your AVP through it. Burning tubes to watch video is problematical at best.
egrady, thanks for the input on the Mcintosh MX 2700 tube preamplifier, I didn't even think about it being on with HT bypass. So now I am looking at the Mcintosh C53 preamplifier, it might work out better as i can run my Clearaudio turntable, Oppo 205 and Blusound Vault 2i, and use it for 2 channel listening and let the Mx170 do my home theater and multichannel music.
JFR0317 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page