The Mcintosh MX170 A/V Processor Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 96Likes

post #61 of 172 Old 10-25-2019, 05:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiles View Post
Not sure if Magnolia can wheel and deal like a dealer. However they should have enough buying power to do so.
I thought McIntosh gear pricing was fixed and authorized dealers were prohibited from discounting or risk losing the ability to sell their brand. Is that not the case? I just ordered mine at with Magnolia.... at MSRP.

Thanks in advance for your reply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 172 Old 10-25-2019, 07:22 AM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 41
No wheeling and dealing for me either. I ordered mine 2 weeks ago at full MSRP from an authorized dealer. Dealer also required 70 percent down to place the order.
post #63 of 172 Old 10-25-2019, 12:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRGM1 View Post
No wheeling and dealing for me either. I ordered mine 2 weeks ago at full MSRP from an authorized dealer. Dealer also required 70 percent down to place the order.
70 percent? Wow, that’s a lot. Best Buy only wanted 25 percent deposit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 172 Old 10-25-2019, 04:54 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2115 Post(s)
Liked: 766
Mike,

I sent you a PM

Noah
post #65 of 172 Old 10-25-2019, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post
Mike,

I sent you a PM
Got it, replied. Thank you.
post #66 of 172 Old 10-25-2019, 07:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1022 Post(s)
Liked: 524
MP only has 6 post, thought you had to have more to PM

Mike Miles
[email protected]
post #67 of 172 Old 10-26-2019, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiles View Post
MP only has 6 post, thought you had to have more to PM
I’ve actually posted a lot more, I’ve just deleted most of them.
post #68 of 172 Old 10-26-2019, 03:15 PM

OK, I’m bummed out. I went to buy my 170 and the dealer I go to was out sick. So I have to go back later this week to buy it. Good news though, it’s my Christmas present so I don’t have to pay for it 🎄
post #69 of 172 Old 10-27-2019, 06:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 5087 Post(s)
Liked: 3945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Pasich View Post
OK, I’m bummed out. I went to buy my 170 and the dealer I go to was out sick. So I have to go back later this week to buy it. Good news though, it’s my Christmas present so I don’t have to pay for it 🎄

PM will be sent.

Mark 10:45 ][ Home Theater of The Month: The Oconee Theater ][ Music by Leslie Austin on Spotify ][
Isaiah 54:10
post #70 of 172 Old 10-27-2019, 10:12 AM

Advice please - On the MX170, the only option for the subwoofer output is an XLR connection. I have an Audioquest Husky that is RCA. Does anyone have a ball park estimate on what it would cost to have Audioquest re-terminate the cable?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #71 of 172 Old 10-27-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
PM will be sent.
Got it and replied. Thanks
post #72 of 172 Old 10-27-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svpdog View Post
Advice please - On the MX170, the only option for the subwoofer output is an XLR connection. I have an Audioquest Husky that is RCA. Does anyone have a ball park estimate on what it would cost to have Audioquest re-terminate the cable?

I just looked at their website and I would assume the cost would be based on the connector you would chose. From what I can tell, they have different levels of connectors. I have Husky cables and know that you probably don't want to replace them. I was always under the impression that RCA cables were coax and XLR were separate for each pin, but I could be wrong. The website did say this:

Triple-Balanced Geometry (Separate Ground-Reference Conductor)
Our Triple-Balanced Geometry uses a separate ground-reference conductor, so the cable's shield is never used as an inferior conductor. Whether prepared with RCA or XLR plugs, the cable's three conductors ensure that the positive and negative signals have equally superior, low-distortion conducting paths.

I know I'm just a novice but I found your question very interesting.
svpdog likes this.
post #73 of 172 Old 10-27-2019, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked: 757
Quote:

There are specific instructions from Mcintosh about XLR to RCA connections.....

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/86-ul...l#post57738108
svpdog likes this.
post #74 of 172 Old 10-27-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
I just looked at their website and I would assume the cost would be based on the connector you would chose. From what I can tell, they have different levels of connectors. I have Husky cables and know that you probably don't want to replace them. I was always under the impression that RCA cables were coax and XLR were separate for each pin, but I could be wrong. The website did say this:

Triple-Balanced Geometry (Separate Ground-Reference Conductor)

Our Triple-Balanced Geometry uses a separate ground-reference conductor, so the cable's shield is never used as an inferior conductor. Whether prepared with RCA or XLR plugs, the cable's three conductors ensure that the positive and negative signals have equally superior, low-distortion conducting paths.

I know I'm just a novice but I found your question very interesting.

Thanks for the quick reply. Based on what you found on the website, I think I am going to give Audioquest tech support a call and see if they advise re-terminating or just a new cable.

post #75 of 172 Old 10-27-2019, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJHT View Post
There are specific instructions from Mcintosh about XLR to RCA connections.....

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/86-ul...l#post57738108

Thanks for replying. Interesting about using an adapter. Do you have that in your system?

post #76 of 172 Old 10-27-2019, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for replying. Interesting about using an adapter. Do you have that in your system?

Seems like you could use one if you can cut pin 3 inside the XLR portion of the adapter. You could also check with Mcintosh support. SJ
svpdog likes this.
post #77 of 172 Old 10-27-2019, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 5087 Post(s)
Liked: 3945
Quote:

No response received?

Mark 10:45 ][ Home Theater of The Month: The Oconee Theater ][ Music by Leslie Austin on Spotify ][
Isaiah 54:10
post #78 of 172 Old 10-27-2019, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
Quote:

No response received?
Don’t know why the first wasn’t sent: I replied. Thanks.
post #79 of 172 Old 10-27-2019, 09:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:

Did this before for a customer (who upgraded to the MX160) back in the day. Don't remember how much, but I think it was <$100. If your sub has an XLR input then totally worth it, if not then nice to not have to use an adapter, but up to you if it is worth it.

B.
svpdog likes this.
post #80 of 172 Old 10-28-2019, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B View Post
Did this before for a customer (who upgraded to the MX160) back in the day. Don't remember how much, but I think it was <$100. If your sub has an XLR input then totally worth it, if not then nice to not have to use an adapter, but up to you if it is worth it.

B.
Thanks. I am going to give Audioquest a call today. Would be nice to have the cable in hand once the MX170 arrives (mid-November). I will report back on what they say.

Just in time for the holidays!
post #81 of 172 Old 10-28-2019, 09:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I would check with Mcintosh. The XLR/RCA stuff was specific to the MX160. The MX170 might be different depending on design. SJ
post #82 of 172 Old 10-29-2019, 01:43 AM

Quote:
I would check with Mcintosh. The XLR/RCA stuff was specific to the MX160. The MX170 might be different depending on design. SJ
I thought XLR pinouts were standard.
post #83 of 172 Old 10-29-2019, 06:15 AM

What would you do?

Ok, here's my latest dilemma.....right now I have my current home theater done as a hybrid theater/HiFi setup kind of like the Reference Home Theater system on the McIntosh site. Obviously I'm going to upgrade the processor to the 170, but on the HiFi side I'm running a C47, MEN220 RoomPerfect and MCT450 with the DIN input for SACD on the C47 and an MT5 turntable with the MP100 phono preamp. With the 170 having RoomPerfect I'm debating consolidating the system to make more room in my cabinet for airflow. Connecting the phono and phono preamp is easy, however the C47 doesn't have a fixed balanced output. I was thinking of getting a D150 (which there's a really nice used one on eBay right now) just for the ability to listen to my SACD's and CD sound really good on the MCT450. So I would like your opinion, would you keep the hybrid system, or consolidate? I know I could get a decent return if I sold the C47 and MEN220 on eBay, but I kind of like the idea of the hybrid system. I just can't convince myself I really need it right now. HELP!

Thanks in advance.
post #84 of 172 Old 10-29-2019, 06:23 AM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Ok, here's my latest dilemma.....right now I have my current home theater done as a hybrid theater/HiFi setup kind of like the Reference Home Theater system on the McIntosh site. Obviously I'm going to upgrade the processor to the 170, but on the HiFi side I'm running a C47, MEN220 RoomPerfect and MCT450 with the DIN input for SACD on the C47 and an MT5 turntable with the MP100 phono preamp. With the 170 having RoomPerfect I'm debating consolidating the system to make more room in my cabinet for airflow. Connecting the phono and phono preamp is easy, however the C47 doesn't have a fixed balanced output. I was thinking of getting a D150 (which there's a really nice used one on eBay right now) just for the ability to listen to my SACD's and CD sound really good on the MCT450. So I would like your opinion, would you keep the hybrid system, or consolidate? I know I could get a decent return if I sold the C47 and MEN220 on eBay, but I kind of like the idea of the hybrid system. I just can't convince myself I really need it right now. HELP!

Thanks in advance.

I'm sure that I am missing something but why wouldn't you connect the MCT450 directly to the MX170?
post #85 of 172 Old 10-29-2019, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange_GT3 View Post
I'm sure that I am missing something but why wouldn't you connect the MCT450 directly to the MX170?
1. The MCT doesn't have an onboard DAC so it's a transport only.
2. The digital outputs won't output DSD only PCM
3. To output DSD on SACD's it requires a special cable supplied by McIntosh that has a 9 pin plug (kind of like the old S-video cables) called an MCT connection. The 170 doesn't have the input. Most of the 2 channel stuff they have has it.

So to get the benefit of SACD's I either:
- keep the hybrid system as is
- get a D150 DAC to convert the SACD and input the balanced audio to the 170
- use the C47 but connect it to the 170 via its' RCA fixed output
- figure out what volume setting is the equivalent for the balanced outputs as the RCA fixed output and just not use the volume control on the C47.
- just have my Oppo convert the DSD to PCM and input HDMI (which is the easiest route and won't cost me any money LOL). And just use the MCT450 for CD's

So that's where I'm at right now.
post #86 of 172 Old 10-29-2019, 07:14 AM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

Thanks in advance.
Quote:
1. The MCT doesn't have an onboard DAC so it's a transport only.
2. The digital outputs won't output DSD only PCM
3. To output DSD on SACD's it requires a special cable supplied by McIntosh that has a 9 pin plug (kind of like the old S-video cables) called an MCT connection. The 170 doesn't have the input. Most of the 2 channel stuff they have has it.

So to get the benefit of SACD's I either:
- keep the hybrid system as is
- get a D150 DAC to convert the SACD and input the balanced audio to the 170
- use the C47 but connect it to the 170 via its' RCA fixed output
- figure out what volume setting is the equivalent for the balanced outputs as the RCA fixed output and just not use the volume control on the C47.
- just have my Oppo convert the DSD to PCM and input HDMI (which is the easiest route and won't cost me any money LOL). And just use the MCT450 for CD's

So that's where I'm at right now.

Yes, I knew the MCT450 is a transport and that it would need to be connected digitally to the MX170. Rather strange that their flagship processor does not include the MCT connection.

If using your Oppo to output PCM is an option, isn't this the same as getting PCM directly out of the MCT into the MX170? Have you made this comparison to see which you prefer?

Using the C47's fixed RCA output shouldn't be too much drama assuming the MX170 allows you to add/subtract gain on individual inputs. That said, why do you need to match the fixed RCA outputs with the balanced outputs? Any source that is connected to the C47 will use the same, fixed outputs to connect to the MX170.
post #87 of 172 Old 10-29-2019, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange_GT3 View Post
Yes, I knew the MCT450 is a transport and that it would need to be connected digitally to the MX170. Rather strange that their flagship processor does not include the MCT connection.

If using your Oppo to output PCM is an option, isn't this the same as getting PCM directly out of the MCT into the MX170? Have you made this comparison to see which you prefer?

Using the C47's fixed RCA output shouldn't be too much drama assuming the MX170 allows you to add/subtract gain on individual inputs. That said, why do you need to match the fixed RCA outputs with the balanced outputs? Any source that is connected to the C47 will use the same, fixed outputs to connect to the MX170.
If I used the D150, it would output analog to the 170. I know the D150 has a much better DAC than the C47. And I prefer Balanced connections to RCA. I am going to do a listening test probably today to see which I like better, the DSD to the C47 or just having the Oppo convert it. As of now, I'm leaning towards the D150, but while writing this, I think I'm going to try connecting the RCA outputs of the C47 to my MX122 to do a direct compare with the Oppo. I'll let you know what I find out.
post #88 of 172 Old 10-29-2019, 07:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I thought XLR pinouts were standard.
They are as long as your are connecting XLR to XLR. This is when folks are trying to just use an adapter to convert XLR to RCA. Can’t recall the specific reason from Mcintosh but it came up in the MX160 thread. SJ
post #89 of 172 Old 10-29-2019, 07:57 AM

Quote:
If I used the D150, it would output analog to the 170. I know the D150 has a much better DAC than the C47. And I prefer Balanced connections to RCA. I am going to do a listening test probably today to see which I like better, the DSD to the C47 or just having the Oppo convert it. As of now, I'm leaning towards the D150, but while writing this, I think I'm going to try connecting the RCA outputs of the C47 to my MX122 to do a direct compare with the Oppo. I'll let you know what I find out.
30 seconds into my listening test answered my question LOL. The Oppo simply doesn't hold a candle to the MCT450 on SACD's. So I answered my own question, I'm going to replace the C47/MEN220 with a D150 and then let the 170 do the RoomPerfect stuff.

I think that will sound more than awesome and give more air room for the components to breath. The only thing I need to figure out now is do I input the Sonos into the 170, or use the Quad DAC in the D150. I'm thinking using the DAC. I think I'll get a better sound out of the Sonos. Any thoughts on this?
post #90 of 172 Old 10-29-2019, 07:58 AM

Quote:
They are as long as your are connecting XLR to XLR. This is when folks are trying to just use an adapter to convert XLR to RCA. Can’t recall the specific reason from Mcintosh but it came up in the MX160 thread. SJ
Interesting. I could have sworn they were standard. I learn something new every day LOL.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page