The Mcintosh MX170 A/V Processor Thread - Page 8 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 147Likes

post #211 of 247 Old 11-20-2019, 10:18 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1665 Post(s)
Liked: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozer1 View Post
If you think a retailer takes a bit on any merchandise returned you are sadly mistaken. You would not believe the markups on Trinnov, Macintosh, all big name brands.... I mean really
Seriously, you think I'm stupid like someone making that sort of comment!

Retailer markups on AV products are high of course, the margin on AV products is typically 40-50% on components and even more on audiophile cabling!

Do sure when Music Direct, Best Buy, PS Audio, etc etc have a returned product, they can sell as open box or used and still make a "profit", just not as much a "profit"! What else is new? Most everyone on this forum well understands that! Glad you do, too!

Theater Renovation: 3 Aerial Acoustics 7ts & 6 7LCRs; 13 Triad Rotating Silver/9 Sat; 9 Seaton 21" sealed subwoofers; Trinnov Altitude 32 SSP; 3 Theta Digital Prometheus, Trinnov Amplitude 8 & 8M, and ATI AT526NC amplifiers; Sony VW5000 projector; Lumagen Radiance Pro; Panamorph DCR lens; Stewart Filmscreen Vistascope 14' wide 2.40 SnoMatte 100 screen; Kaleidescape & Pioneer UDP-LX500 4k players; Apple TV 4k; TIVO Bolt OTA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 247 Old 11-21-2019, 05:54 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
Seriously, you think I'm stupid like someone making that sort of comment!

Retailer markups on AV products are high of course, the margin on AV products is typically 40-50% on components and even more on audiophile cabling!

Do sure when Music Direct, Best Buy, PS Audio, etc etc have a returned product, they can sell as open box or used and still make a "profit", just not as much a "profit"! What else is new? Most everyone on this forum well understands that! Glad you do, too!
McIntosh makes unique pieces that have a timeless elegance to their look ... Not for everyone ... But the engineering is solid and the performance is generally undeniable. Build Quality and aesthetics cost money.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
post #213 of 247 Old 11-21-2019, 05:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1174 Post(s)
Liked: 832
4 posts in on AVS and he leave a post like that? I’m glad he has enlightened us fools.
Dunnie likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #214 of 247 Old 11-21-2019, 09:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishore View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvanloon View Post
Well I guess the multi-channel analog inputs will come in handy after all [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
I don't think there is analog bypass in MX170 (like MX160)- you are better off doing DSD-PCM conversion and use digital in to the MX170 than analog in and going thru additional A to D to A conversion again. You could compare and find out [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
I hadn’t thought of that as I’d always heard converting DSD to PCM lost a lot of the benefit of DSD, but testing that theory sounds like a plan!
post #215 of 247 Old 11-21-2019, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked: 1311
I will be adding it to the first post but I have a guide with complete list of RS232 codes.

For IR remote control, there is a section at the bottom of the RS232 document discussing this.

In addition, I’m attaching the codes for the HR085 that lists the ‘long hex strings’ like used for Pronto type remote controls.

When using this document, pay attention to the xxH hex codes, and not the function names, as the (Input) names change a lot depending on the product they’re used in.

JFR0317 and Lucabratsi like this.

NVIDIA Shield TV Pro | 4K/60 HDR10 ATMOS-best streaming device for image and sound available today!
post #216 of 247 Old 11-25-2019, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 41
My URC programmer is trying to reprogram my remote(URC890) to work with the MX170. He is unable to get the source inputs to work with a direct input. No MX170 is listed in the URC datebase and the 160 codes don't seem to work. The Hex codes may work but we don't have them.
post #217 of 247 Old 11-25-2019, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1416 Post(s)
Liked: 889
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRGM1 View Post
My URC programmer is trying to reprogram my remote(URC890) to work with the MX170. He is unable to get the source inputs to work with a direct input. No MX170 is listed in the URC datebase and the 160 codes don't seem to work. The Hex codes may work but we don't have them.

When you set up your sources on your unit, did you assign them a IR label (TV, VCR, CD etc) ?

Selling in AVS classifieds
FS: McIntosh MX-160 Processor
post #218 of 247 Old 11-25-2019, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by madhuski View Post
When you set up your sources on your unit, did you assign them a IR label (TV, VCR, CD etc) ?

Not sure what IR command to assign to each input. Only choics available are TV, Sat, Server.

Talked to McIntosh and discovered my browser had an issure displaying the IR labels, I could only see 3 options. Switched to a different browser and now we can see them all. My programmer still does not have it working but thanks for the advice.

Last edited by KRGM1; 11-25-2019 at 12:53 PM.
post #219 of 247 Old 11-25-2019, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 1812 Post(s)
Liked: 3586
posts deleted: stick to technical issues please

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
LG C9 OLED owner

post #220 of 247 Old 11-25-2019, 07:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1416 Post(s)
Liked: 889
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRGM1 View Post
Not sure what IR command to assign to each input. Only choics available are TV, Sat, Server.

Talked to McIntosh and discovered my browser had an issure displaying the IR labels, I could only see 3 options. Switched to a different browser and now we can see them all. My programmer still does not have it working but thanks for the advice.

check our the pic I attached. You give each input a “IR name” in the source creation menu.

I set up my 160 and URC remote and direct inputs worked fine. The MX170 may be sofferrent

edit: sorry, don’t know why the pic attached sideways and cropped. Also noticed you got the issue fixed. Oh well, late to the party Inguess
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	66EB1706-25AA-4AF3-9EAD-3213E9007EF9.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	2645740  
KRGM1 likes this.

Selling in AVS classifieds
FS: McIntosh MX-160 Processor

Last edited by madhuski; 11-25-2019 at 07:35 PM.
post #221 of 247 Old 11-27-2019, 11:08 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 1665 Post(s)
Liked: 847
If any MacIntosh SSP or potential MacIntosh SSP owners are interested in MacIntosh getting their SSPs to be ROON Ready, please see and post in the following thread:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/86-ul...questions.html

Theater Renovation: 3 Aerial Acoustics 7ts & 6 7LCRs; 13 Triad Rotating Silver/9 Sat; 9 Seaton 21" sealed subwoofers; Trinnov Altitude 32 SSP; 3 Theta Digital Prometheus, Trinnov Amplitude 8 & 8M, and ATI AT526NC amplifiers; Sony VW5000 projector; Lumagen Radiance Pro; Panamorph DCR lens; Stewart Filmscreen Vistascope 14' wide 2.40 SnoMatte 100 screen; Kaleidescape & Pioneer UDP-LX500 4k players; Apple TV 4k; TIVO Bolt OTA.
post #222 of 247 Old 11-27-2019, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

I know it’s been quiet around here the past few days but with Thanksgiving here and family coming in I am looking forward to some Movies and Football with the 170. Should be a fun few days...

HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!!!

JFR0317, G-Rex, Jan T and 2 others like this.

NVIDIA Shield TV Pro | 4K/60 HDR10 ATMOS-best streaming device for image and sound available today!
post #223 of 247 Old 11-28-2019, 06:33 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post
I know it’s been quiet around here the past few days but with Thanksgiving here and family coming in I am looking forward to some Movies and Football with the 170. Should be a fun few days...

HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!!!

Hi JoeRod - Happy Thanksgiving! I really like your website and your reviews. BTW, I am a die-hard MartinLogan fan and just replaced my Theater i with the Illusion. Breaking it in and starting to sound amazing. MX-170 + Illusion has been an early Christmas!
DeAnna
post #224 of 247 Old 12-01-2019, 06:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1174 Post(s)
Liked: 832
To those on the fence with upgrading to the 170...

Upgraded to the 170, did a substantial update to the Sony 5000 projector and got a new Nvidia Shield Pro 2019 at around the same time. All I can say is the synergy between the 170, the FW updated 5000 and the Shield Pro (as opposed to the 2017 model) is night and day. The higher bandwidth (18 gbps) and very late gen 18 gbps chipset in the 170 not only passes through a better picture, but a higher bandwidth stream from the new Shield. My WireWorld Silver Starlight 6 12 meter hdmi cable is still limited to 10.2 gbps cable, but I have vastly more colorspace/Hz options to choose from with the trio in place. The Auto colorspace switching between the three is finally working flawlessly. Far more user friendly now and makes my previous setup look broken in comparison. My hdmi cable (with its limitations) has never worked better, and as such, I will hold onto a bit longer as it’s limitations don’t seem as glaring now or problematic.

The 170 also runs significantly cooler now, which is great for the longevity of the unit. Clearly there is much improved, more powerful and efficient silicon under the hood. The sound of course is that great McIntosh sonic signature, but a bit better/more refined. No complaints at all. On top of all this, if you need additional discrete channel speaker output, then it’s a very nice and worthy upgrade. Well done McIntosh and Lyngdorf.
JFR0317 and joerod like this.

Last edited by G-Rex; 12-01-2019 at 06:42 AM.
post #225 of 247 Old 12-01-2019, 04:45 PM

I signed up for the Roon Labs 14 day trial period and like the interface. I have it set up through my Mac Mini with an optical out to the MX170. Anyone here using Roon with their MX170?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #226 of 247 Old 12-01-2019, 05:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1247 Post(s)
Liked: 762
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post
To those on the fence with upgrading to the 170...

Upgraded to the 170, did a substantial update to the Sony 5000 projector and got a new Nvidia Shield Pro 2019 at around the same time. All I can say is the synergy between the 170, the FW updated 5000 and the Shield Pro (as opposed to the 2017 model) is night and day. The higher bandwidth (18 gbps) and very late gen 18 gbps chipset in the 170 not only passes through a better picture, but a higher bandwidth stream from the new Shield. My WireWorld Silver Starlight 6 12 meter hdmi cable is still limited to 10.2 gbps cable, but I have vastly more colorspace/Hz options to choose from with the trio in place. The Auto colorspace switching between the three is finally working flawlessly. Far more user friendly now and makes my previous setup look broken in comparison. My hdmi cable (with its limitations) has never worked better, and as such, I will hold onto a bit longer as it’s limitations don’t seem as glaring now or problematic.

The 170 also runs significantly cooler now, which is great for the longevity of the unit. Clearly there is much improved, more powerful and efficient silicon under the hood. The sound of course is that great McIntosh sonic signature, but a bit better/more refined. No complaints at all. On top of all this, if you need additional discrete channel speaker output, then it’s a very nice and worthy upgrade. Well done McIntosh and Lyngdorf.

Unfortunately in my world of HT, that's one of the reasons I put a line through from the start (even since the talk of HDMI board upgrades for the 160). Since getting a Lumagen, the idea of switching and passthrough with an AVP became totally outmoded and inferior in my projector HT setup.

In speaking to my dealer, after pricing up the MX170 and discovering as fully expected its totally absurd price point here in Aus, I was told he got the only MX170 shipped here and is going to use it in his best demo room. So at this stage there's still not enough in it for me to fork out $A19960 ($US13500) to do a trade -and that's 'mate's rates'. I've potentially got to reinstate(ie buy everything but a projector) a whole other HT(after a rebuilding the property) in about 10 months time from one that I took apart when I moved from my previous city property 3 years ago. So wouldn't make a lot of sense from that perspective either for me just quietly. I guess I'll have to look on from the sidelines with the MX170.
post #227 of 247 Old 12-01-2019, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHDHT View Post
Unfortunately in my world of HT, that's one of the reasons I put a line through from the start (even since the talk of HDMI board upgrades for the 160). Since getting a Lumagen, the idea of switching and passthrough with an AVP became totally outmoded and inferior in my projector HT setup.

In speaking to my dealer, after pricing up the MX170 and discovering as fully expected its totally absurd price point here in Aus, I was told he got the only MX170 shipped here and is going to use it in his best demo room. So at this stage there's still not enough in it for me to fork out $A19960 ($US13500) to do a trade -and that's 'mate's rates'. I've potentially got to reinstate(ie buy everything but a projector) a whole other HT(after a rebuilding the property) in about 10 months time from one that I took apart when I moved from my previous city property 3 years ago. So wouldn't make a lot of sense from that perspective either for me just quietly. I guess I'll have to look on from the sidelines with the MX170.

Wow, what is the local RRP?
post #228 of 247 Old 12-01-2019, 05:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange_GT3 View Post
Wow, what is the local RRP?

Hold on to your hat... It's a totally ridiculous $US21,600 ($A31,930), no thanks to the 'middlemen' distributors here, Synergy A/V.
post #229 of 247 Old 12-01-2019, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHDHT View Post
Hold on to your hat... It's a totally ridiculous $US21,600 ($A31,930), no thanks to the 'middlemen' distributors here, Synergy A/V.

Wow, that is eye-watering!!!

'Rip-off Australia' never ceases to amaze me.
post #230 of 247 Old 12-01-2019, 06:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange_GT3 View Post
Wow, that is eye-watering!!!

'Rip-off Australia' never ceases to amaze me.

Yep. What really never ceases to amaze me in this day and age is that we still have the small scale 'middlemen' distributors who mop up the more esoteric and hi-end A/V brands here in Aus. I know some really good 'on the ball' larger scale, non-factory aligned distributors who are amazingly able to bring RRP's to what you'd nearly call 'globalised pricing' on brands they distribute. But sadly the 'middlemen' still exist and no amount of good friends at retail will help with their pricing. The McIntosh distributor here is the sole reason I self imported a near new new MX160 myself from the US for $A10K less than local retail at the time..
Orange_GT3 likes this.
post #231 of 247 Old 12-02-2019, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I have a question on the MX170. Is anyone using a configuration with wides? Does the Dolby upmixer or Neural X upmixer make use of the wides? Thanks.
madhuski likes this.
post #232 of 247 Old 12-03-2019, 07:04 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I'm pretty much sold on the MX170 features except one aspect in regards to how it handles integrating 3x subs. I can compromise with the no OSD on volume, by having a dedicated macro setup to set at reference volume when the movie begins.

From what was confirmed here; configuring 3 subs would generally be done with two subs assigned as AUX for each L and R channel as XXL, and the third sub as dedicated LFE. The problem i see here is the LFE assigned sub would be the only one outputting the dedicated LFE content. Would you run it this way? Always thought it would be best have each sub output the LFE to smoothen out the in room frequency response. Is there a way to just have the AUX outputs mirror the LFE Channel?

See Profile
post #233 of 247 Old 12-03-2019, 10:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1156 Post(s)
Liked: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by svpdog View Post
I signed up for the Roon Labs 14 day trial period and like the interface. I have it set up through my Mac Mini with an optical out to the MX170. Anyone here using Roon with their MX170?

You might try a usb out from your Mac to the MX170. I’m using Audirvana but have that setup from my Mac mini to our MX160.... SJ
svpdog likes this.
post #234 of 247 Old 12-04-2019, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJHT View Post
You might try a usb out from your Mac to the MX170. I’m using Audirvana but have that setup from my Mac mini to our MX160.... SJ
Thanks for the reply. I may trial the Audirvana before I decide which to go with. I have been using BitPerfect but wanted to see what else was out there. What advantages would I have going with the USB vs. Optical?
post #235 of 247 Old 12-04-2019, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanido View Post
I'm pretty much sold on the MX170 features except one aspect in regards to how it handles integrating 3x subs. I can compromise with the no OSD on volume, by having a dedicated macro setup to set at reference volume when the movie begins.

From what was confirmed here; configuring 3 subs would generally be done with two subs assigned as AUX for each L and R channel as XXL, and the third sub as dedicated LFE. The problem i see here is the LFE assigned sub would be the only one outputting the dedicated LFE content. Would you run it this way? Always thought it would be best have each sub output the LFE to smoothen out the in room frequency response. Is there a way to just have the AUX outputs mirror the LFE Channel?
This is a great question. I am thinking of running 3 subs and would love to know the answer as well.
post #236 of 247 Old 12-04-2019, 07:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1156 Post(s)
Liked: 770
Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I may trial the Audirvana before I decide which to go with. I have been using BitPerfect but wanted to see what else was out there. What advantages would I have going with the USB vs. Optical?
You can play high res music up to 24-bit/192kHz . SJ
post #237 of 247 Old 12-04-2019, 03:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJHT View Post
You can play high res music up to 24-bit/192kHz . SJ

As SJHT says, USB is a higher functionality interface that also supports for multichannel and DSD.
svpdog likes this.
post #238 of 247 Old 12-05-2019, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Updated Posted on Remote Server

McIntosh has made this beta now officially the Public version.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C124F656-5004-4580-8675-6B7C38E35F3C.png
Views:	33
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	2649700  

post #239 of 247 Old 12-05-2019, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post
McIntosh has made this beta now officially the Public version.

Thanks for the heads up. Can you tell us what this beta update does?

post #240 of 247 Old 12-05-2019, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up. Can you tell us what this beta update does?

This has been tested by many beta users, and has proven to fix many HDMI-HDCP issues. (And fixed other misc. issues.) HDMI syncing times between some components also proved faster. Definitely worth the few minutes it takes to update your 170.
JFR0317, G-Rex, svpdog and 1 others like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page