Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-04-2019, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Video wall

May be a silly question . Why can’t these companies use 65”, 75”, 85” 4K panels in their current TVs and have them be available to be joined in seamless manner like tiles and add the video processor . So you can have 4 of these panels and have 130”- 170”
8k wall for few thousand dollars rather than 100’s of thousands ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-04-2019, 08:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by mani View Post
May be a silly question . Why can’t these companies use 65”, 75”, 85” 4K panels in their current TVs and have them be available to be joined in seamless manner like tiles and add the video processor . So you can have 4 of these panels and have 130”- 170”

Minimum bezel for the larger panels is still 3.5mm pixel to pixel. The small commodity HD panels are now available with 0.44mm per bezel, 0.88mm is still clearly visible, but it is an option, both with HD and the 65" 4K ones. Samsung says it has a controller for it as it is apart of the digital signage line-up. I didn't get to see it at ISE, as I asked, but nobody knew anything. Later I was informed it was in one of the offcie suites on one of the higher floors. Not as cheap as you portrait, due to commercial panels, mounting and control, but a whole lot less than the 98" 8K LCDs.

I assume strenght issues are what generally held back individual panel size. 43, 49, 55 inch at the most. The 65" 4K Samsung was a real breaktrough in that respect.
post #3 of 5 Old 11-04-2019, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked: 460
Quote:
You're talking about an incredibly small niche that has only just begun to come out at the highest end of the market. It will be many many years before there are consumer-ready solutions, if ever.

This is a device category that requires a lifestyle change. People will have to dedicate an entire wall in their house for a TV and have a professional install it. This is not something the average person is going to adopt overnight.

Media: LG 88" 8K OLED Z9 / Denon AVR-X8500H 7.1.4 / Oppo UDP-203 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / Sony 4K FMP-X10 / Gaming PC (Threadripper 1950X / 2x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SLI) / PlayStation 4 Pro with PS VR / PlayStation (original)
Family: Sony 85" 4K XBR-85X900F / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / C64 Mini - Game: LG 77" 4K OLED C8 / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 11-14-2019, 06:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantc View Post
You're talking about an incredibly small niche that has only just begun to come out at the highest end of the market. It will be many many years before there are consumer-ready solutions, if ever.

This is a device category that requires a lifestyle change. People will have to dedicate an entire wall in their house for a TV and have a professional install it. This is not something the average person is going to adopt overnight.
Somewhat related, but the Samsung 146" "Wall" costs well into the 6 figures. More than a Ferrari 488
post #5 of 5 Old 11-16-2019, 07:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantc View Post

I always was curious about that also, using FALD to limit some of the width of the edges but apparently there is more to it in construction of the panels.

The multiple smaller panels approach seems a terribly labor intensive install and calibration and definitely not in the DIYer category. The flexible OLED in the larger sizes would seem to be a more likely success if they can make the larger sizes i.e. over 100" in the range of the high end laser true 4K projectors currently. As much as I love my 4K laser projector and 128" screen I'd trade it in a heartbeat for the same size of the top end flat panels as long as I don't have to win the lottery to do so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page