What do you use for your center channel speaker? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By niterida
  • 1 Post By Steve Bruzonsky

post #1 of 22 Old 11-13-2019, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 44
What do you use for your center channel speaker?

Are people going with a classic center or with 3 identical speakers in front. I'm asking because I just changed to Sopra 3 speakers as my left and right front channels. I ordered a Focal Viva Evo center, but it seems to be on permanent back order. I'm thinking of going to a 3rd Sopra 3 as a center.
I'm interested in your experience.

Thanks,
David

DES
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 11-13-2019, 07:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked: 1077
If at all possible its best to use 3 identical across the front, especially if you have an acoustically transparent screen or space below or above a non AT screen. If not possible then the matching center in the line of speakers bought.

JBL Pro/JTR/JVC/Denon/Oppo/Monoprice/Elite Screens/Furman/Seatcraft/Acoustimac/AudioQuest/Roku
post #3 of 22 Old 11-13-2019, 08:04 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddig View Post
If at all possible its best to use 3 identical across the front, especially if you have an acoustically transparent screen or space below or above a non AT screen. If not possible then the matching center in the line of speakers bought.
Enough said - thread closed
Reddig and Joshua Chmiel like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 11-14-2019, 08:34 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1665 Post(s)
Liked: 847
I use 3 identical Aerial Acoustics 7t floorstanders up front. Love it! I echo that the folks above have to say!
Reddig likes this.

Theater Renovation: 3 Aerial Acoustics 7ts & 6 7LCRs; 13 Triad Rotating Silver/9 Sat; 9 Seaton 21" sealed subwoofers; Trinnov Altitude 32 SSP; 3 Theta Digital Prometheus, Trinnov Amplitude 8 & 8M, and ATI AT526NC amplifiers; Sony VW5000 projector; Lumagen Radiance Pro; Panamorph DCR lens; Stewart Filmscreen Vistascope 14' wide 2.40 SnoMatte 100 screen; Kaleidescape & Pioneer UDP-LX500 4k players; Apple TV 4k; TIVO Bolt OTA.
post #5 of 22 Old 11-14-2019, 09:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
I use 3 identical Aerial Acoustics 7t floorstanders up front. Love it! I echo that the folks above have to say!
Agree use three identicals whenever possible . Most of the sound (dialogs ) that require most intelligibility and clarity come from center channel .
post #6 of 22 Old 11-14-2019, 09:38 AM

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2269 Post(s)
Liked: 1487
+4

3 identical across!

Goodbye to a great audio and video genius and writer... JOHN GANNON. I enjoyed your friendship, wit and a nice long run we took around Indianapolis at CEDIA years back... and for buying my Runco 980 Ultra years back... you saved my ass! Rest in peace.
post #7 of 22 Old 11-22-2019, 04:40 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked: 1311
Love my:

https://www.martinlogan.com/en/produ...usion-esl-c34a

NVIDIA Shield TV Pro | 4K/60 HDR10 ATMOS-best streaming device for image and sound available today!
post #8 of 22 Old 11-22-2019, 05:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 58
3 identical behind AT screens.
post #9 of 22 Old 11-23-2019, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 144
I’m using three Aerial Acoustics LR5’s. They are not Michael’s latest design, but they are one of his personal favorites for home theater AND music.

Current Equipment: Datasat LS10 w/ Atmos and DIRAC. ATI 6005, AT527NC, Aerial Acoustics LR5's (LCR), SR3's sides, LR3's (rears), Seaton Submersive HP, Marantz VP15s1, 123" diag 16:9 Stewart Cima Neve screen, Oppo BDP-103, Palliser Flicks Theater Seating AC Power: Eaton whole-house surge protector at main panel, three dedicated 20 amp circuits, Surgex XR315 surge protector at equipment rack, Cyberpower 1400VA/900 watt, true sine wave UPS.
post #10 of 22 Old 11-23-2019, 11:01 AM

Bottom line is if you are able to use 3 identical front left, center and front right speakers you should. Anyone telling you otherwise if full of it! Nonetheless, although I currently have 3 Aerial Acoustics 7ts up front, if in the future when Michael Kelly comes out with his upcoming 30T and I decide to get a pair, I will probably leave the center 7t rather than get one for the center (due to cost, and the 7t center will work great for movies and video).

Theater Renovation: 3 Aerial Acoustics 7ts & 6 7LCRs; 13 Triad Rotating Silver/9 Sat; 9 Seaton 21" sealed subwoofers; Trinnov Altitude 32 SSP; 3 Theta Digital Prometheus, Trinnov Amplitude 8 & 8M, and ATI AT526NC amplifiers; Sony VW5000 projector; Lumagen Radiance Pro; Panamorph DCR lens; Stewart Filmscreen Vistascope 14' wide 2.40 SnoMatte 100 screen; Kaleidescape & Pioneer UDP-LX500 4k players; Apple TV 4k; TIVO Bolt OTA.
post #11 of 22 Old 11-24-2019, 02:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Liked: 257
^^^^^ it didn't take long for you to be convinced to buy the extra 2 subs so I suspect you will get the 3rd 30t.

Design by Rives...dollars by The Bogg

Click for my build thread
post #12 of 22 Old 11-24-2019, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bogg View Post
^^^^^ it didn't take long for you to be convinced to buy the extra 2 subs so I suspect you will get the 3rd 30t.
SCARY!

post #13 of 22 Old 11-24-2019, 05:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 5125 Post(s)
Liked: 3981
Quote:
Steve is what this addiction hobby is all about. "Go Big or Go Home".

Look at his system: enough amp power to light up Las Vegas; enough subs to level Las Vegas; a projector that is a bright as one can buy for less than the price of a starter home; great high end speakers; a complete room renovation; best video and audio processor on the planet.; and all of that to be calibrated by "The King of Calibrators".

What more can you say other than "Go Steve"
post #14 of 22 Old 11-24-2019, 07:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I didn't get the identical centre channel for a number of reasons. When I ordered my ATC Anniversary 100s I thought I was going to soffit mount the used ATC C6 centre channel I bought for a really good price. We subsequently decided to implement the classic Rives front curved diffuser so now the centre channel was going to be visible. I don't know if ATC would have sold me a single Anniversary 100 speaker to use as a centre since they were a limited production run but I never asked. I ended up buying a new matching rosewood c6 centre. It uses the same mid and tweeter as my mains. My room designer told me that even an identical speaker would measure (and sound) different from the mains prior to EQ when placed in the centre. Post eq my c6 is timbre matched to the mains as ATC indicated it would. I doubt I would ever outgrow the 180lb 4 driver c6 centre but it would be easier to sell than a single anniversary 100 speaker if the need arose. But in reality they will have to pry that centre channel out of my cold dead hands so to speak.

post #15 of 22 Old 11-24-2019, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
I didn't get the identical centre channel for a number of reasons. When I ordered my ATC Anniversary 100s I thought I was going to soffit mount the used ATC C6 centre channel I bought for a really good price. We subsequently decided to implement the classic Rives front curved diffuser so now the centre channel was going to be visible. I don't know if ATC would have sold me a single Anniversary 100 speaker to use as a centre since they were a limited production run but I never asked. I ended up buying a new matching rosewood c6 centre. It uses the same mid and tweeter as my mains. My room designer told me that even an identical speaker would measure (and sound) different from the mains prior to EQ when placed in the centre. Post eq my c6 is timbre matched to the mains as ATC indicated it would. I doubt I would ever outgrow the 180lb 4 driver c6 centre but it would be easier to sell than a single anniversary 100 speaker if the need arose. But in reality they will have to pry that centre channel out of my cold dead hands so to speak.
Well, everything gets sold eventually. I agree that when you switch to something else, it will be much easier to sell a dedicated center. I gave my dealer a hard deadline to deliver it, so I might be eating my own words when I buy a single Sopra 3.

David

DES
post #16 of 22 Old 11-25-2019, 03:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 5125 Post(s)
Liked: 3981
Quote:

Then you are good. And you are correct. My center matches my mains but prior to EQ, sure doesn't sound like it.
post #17 of 22 Old 11-25-2019, 09:43 AM

Quote:
ATCs are "THE BOGG", great speakers! My good friend Sandro recently got a pair of ATC SCM40s for stereo and loves them! Curious - what are you using for your Atmos/ceiling speakers with them?

post #18 of 22 Old 11-25-2019, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Shapiro View Post
Well, everything gets sold eventually. I agree that when you switch to something else, it will be much easier to sell a dedicated center. I gave my dealer a hard deadline to deliver it, so I might be eating my own words when I buy a single Sopra 3.

David
So true! But as the band Blood, Sweat & Tears sings, "And When I Die" (what difference does it make)! Or perhaps more likely for me is "And When I Move" (into a old folks home). But moving away from my home theater would probably kill me in and of itself!

post #19 of 22 Old 11-25-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
Steve is what this addiction hobby is all about. "Go Big or Go Home".

Look at his system: enough amp power to light up Las Vegas; enough subs to level Las Vegas; a projector that is a bright as one can buy for less than the price of a starter home; great high end speakers; a complete room renovation; best video and audio processor on the planet.; and all of that to be calibrated by "The King of Calibrators".

What more can you say other than "Go Steve"
You should talk! You've had more home theaters and projectors and speaker types than King George had wives!

post #20 of 22 Old 11-28-2019, 09:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
ATCs are "THE BOGG", great speakers! My good friend Sandro recently got a pair of ATC SCM40s for stereo and loves them! Curious - what are you using for your Atmos/ceiling speakers with them?
James 53Q. I installed them myself! It took a while to properly cut the crown and come up with a mounting procedure that is SOLID. Looks like I've forgotten how to do inline pictures...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	James1.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	717.1 KB
ID:	2646764   Click image for larger version

Name:	James2.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	194.1 KB
ID:	2646766  

post #21 of 22 Old Today, 06:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Shapiro View Post

David
Yes, much easier to sell a dedicated center. I used three identical Mcintosh LS360 speakers across the front in my prior theater. When I sold them, I wasn't able to get much for the single speaker I was using for center. It seems that there aren't many people with three speakers floor standers behind an AT screen. I now use Mcintosh XR200 speakers and the matching XCS200 center. With Dirac, it is an excellent blend. I'd say 90% of the blend I had when I used three identical speakers. Three identical are best, but resale....

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.
post #22 of 22 Old Today, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

My dealer came through. I’m very happy with the results.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8DD99E99-7708-46B1-9027-A476F4A87C01_1576119928265.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	2652764   Click image for larger version

Name:	9D4A45CE-C6BE-47EF-A261-9A4BFD3239F0_1576119946611.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	2652766  

DES
Sponsored Links