high-end LED wall scalers/processors - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 11-19-2019, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 13
high-end LED wall scalers/processors

i've got a planar 0.9mm pitch LED wall made of 16 panels. the planar VCS processor is a windows machine and it kind of sucks. (autoupdates in the middle of movies are kind of a drag.) it will play 4k content, but any scene that has shadows or darkness will result in banding and pixelation.

the vendor came on site and shrugged and said "well, these are mostly used for advertisements and presentations - they aren't really for movies." and said there isn't anything to be done.

so i'm looking for a new processor to replace the planar junk.

here are the vendors i've found:

https://www.dexonusa.com/ (these appear to be dedicated appliance processors)
https://www.barco.com/en/products/vi...ll-controllers (seems like they just sell windows boxes)
https://www.analogway.com/americas/p...ge-processors/

anyway, i just thought i'd ask if anyone has any recommendations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-19-2019, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Try vetting numbers one and three, do a comparison matrix. Once you find the one you like then put a Lumagen as the front end, which will clean up the image further.
post #3 of 11 Old 11-19-2019, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by prefetch View Post
the vendor came on site and shrugged and said "well, these are mostly used for advertisements and presentations - they aren't really for movies."
And he's not wrong. You should start looking at the new MicroLED modular displays from Samsung and Sony. They are designed specifically for (home) theaters.

Media: LG 88" 8K OLED Z9 / Denon AVR-X8500H 7.1.4 / Oppo UDP-203 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / Sony 4K FMP-X10 / Gaming PC (Threadripper 1950X / 2x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SLI) / PlayStation 4 Pro with PS VR / PlayStation (original)
Family: Sony 85" 4K XBR-85X900F / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / C64 Mini - Game: LG 77" 4K OLED C8 / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 11-19-2019, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantc View Post
And he's not wrong. You should start looking at the new MicroLED modular displays from Samsung and Sony. They are designed specifically for (home) theaters.
last year i talked to both sony and samsung about their LED walls that are proudly displayed on their website and they sheepishly admitted that they aren't actually for sale yet, and won't be for quite some time.

besides, ripping out the LED wall i just put in place because it has a weak driver and then replacing it with another $1m in hardware seems like a silly thing to do.
post #5 of 11 Old 11-19-2019, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP850-CLED View Post
Try vetting numbers one and three, do a comparison matrix. Once you find the one you like then put a Lumagen as the front end, which will clean up the image further.
so you think dexon and analogway might do the trick? any other vendors you think i should be looking at?
post #6 of 11 Old 11-19-2019, 05:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
last year i talked to both sony and samsung about their LED walls that are proudly displayed on their website and they sheepishly admitted that they aren't actually for sale yet, and won't be for quite some time.

besides, ripping out the LED wall i just put in place because it has a weak driver and then replacing it with another $1m in hardware seems like a silly thing to do.
Understandable. We do have at least one owner already though.

Media: LG 88" 8K OLED Z9 / Denon AVR-X8500H 7.1.4 / Oppo UDP-203 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / Sony 4K FMP-X10 / Gaming PC (Threadripper 1950X / 2x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SLI) / PlayStation 4 Pro with PS VR / PlayStation (original)
Family: Sony 85" 4K XBR-85X900F / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / C64 Mini - Game: LG 77" 4K OLED C8 / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K
post #7 of 11 Old 11-19-2019, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantc View Post
Understandable. We do have at least one owner already though.
that's cool that they are finally shipping some units, but yeah, too late for me. i'm happy with my 0.9mm pitch. the total wall size gives me a 5k image, which should be fine for the distance of the seating, and it looks very good with a 4k image displayed, except, like i said when the image gets dark - then the problems show up! but i don't think that has much to do with the actual LED screens, and has more to do with the data being fed to them.
post #8 of 11 Old 11-19-2019, 07:29 PM

Quote:
so you think dexon and analogway might do the trick? any other vendors you think i should be looking at?
TVONE.

Bryan your opinion seems formed by marketing. You are only partially correct. These things need to be comparatively researched. There are SMD LEDs superior to one of the Micro led companies you are touting.
post #9 of 11 Old 11-19-2019, 08:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
TVONE.

Bryan your opinion seems formed by marketing. You are only partially correct. These things need to be comparatively researched. There are SMD LEDs superior to one of the Micro led companies you are touting.
Point taken. Admittedly I know little about this category. But Samsung also has a SMD LED theatrical display called the Onyx. I recently saw a movie on it. I doubt they could intregrate anything with the OPs existing display but hopefully solutions that are geared towards cinema are on the horizon. Rather than the companies listed here which are obviously geared towards businesses.

Carry on.

post #10 of 11 Old 11-19-2019, 09:05 PM

I Agree that the ONYX is a great display. They kept it 4k and is calibrated for 500 nit highlights with calibrated black levels.

For 8k signals with 2,000 nits that is a lot of additional bandwidth that has to get to the panels, and the send box is designed for the largest configuration, that is where tradeoffs were made resulting in dithering.

The good walls seem to be in the 4k range at the moment.

Planar promotes the .9 wall at CEDIA as suitable for home theater. They should work with the original poster in adjusting the 0 and 1 nit levels better, or heck crush a bit. The input requires tone mapping and good scaling from a separate vp like lumagen or upcoming envy, if you do not want 3D, 3D on walls at 120 has the most solid negative parallax of all displays.

"I have spoken."
post #11 of 11 Old 11-28-2019, 08:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
TVONE.

I lost sight of TVOne when it was stuck in 1080P for a number of years, when everything was 4K or multiples of 4K.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page