Roon music software poll-questions - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Steve Bruzonsky

post #1 of 20 Old 11-26-2019, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1665 Post(s)
Liked: 847
Roon music software poll-questions

ROON MUSIC SOFTWARE POLL-QUESTIONS:

1. Do you use ROON? Yes or No.

2. If you use ROON, do you have an annual or a lifetime membership?

3. If you use ROON, do you have separate ROON Core and ROON Ready devices, or just one device. What devices do you have to play ROON? If you use a SSP to play ROON, what SSP and is it ROON Ready connected via ethernet, or do you use AES/EBU or coaxial digital input, or USB input, to a non-ROON Ready DAC, SSP or other device?

4. Do you use a network attached component for your music storage, and if so, which device and how much storage do you have?

5. If you do not use ROON, are you interested in getting and using ROON? If so, if your current DAC, SSP or other component manufacturer would provide an upgrade or trade-in path for a upgraded or new model that is ROON Ready would you be interested in doing this for a fair price.

6. If you use ROON, if you used other music software prior, how do you compare it to ROON both featurewise and sonically?

Theater Renovation: 3 Aerial Acoustics 7ts & 6 7LCRs; 13 Triad Rotating Silver/9 Sat; 9 Seaton 21" sealed subwoofers; Trinnov Altitude 32 SSP; 3 Theta Digital Prometheus, Trinnov Amplitude 8 & 8M, and ATI AT526NC amplifiers; Sony VW5000 projector; Lumagen Radiance Pro; Panamorph DCR lens; Stewart Filmscreen Vistascope 14' wide 2.40 SnoMatte 100 screen; Kaleidescape & Pioneer UDP-LX500 4k players; Apple TV 4k; TIVO Bolt OTA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 11-26-2019, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post

1. Do you use ROON? Yes or No. YES

2. If you use ROON, do you have an annual or a lifetime membership? Lifetime, bought 4 years ago on Black Friday at 30% off $500 msrp. This will never happen again I bet!

3. If you use ROON, do you have separate ROON Core and ROON Ready devices, or just one device. What devices do you have to play ROON? If you use a SSP to play ROON, what SSP and is it ROON Ready connected via ethernet, or do you use AES/EBU or coaxial digital input, or USB input, to a non-ROON Ready DAC, SSP or other device?

Separate ROON Core - Small Green Computer Sonic Transporter i7 for ROON DSP; Roon Ready Trinnov Altitude 32 SSP (Previously I had Theta Digital Casablanca IVA SSP, not ROON Ready, used Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical, USB into Berkely Audio USB Converter, digital AES/EBU into CBIVA SSP. With Trinnov SSP I found using ROON Ready ethernet sounded just as good so I sold the Sonore and Berkely stuff.)

4. Do you use a network attached component for your music storage, and if so, which device and how much storage do you have? Western Digital MyCloudPR4100 32 TB and I have quite a music collection of about 12 TB much of it high resolution.

5. If you do not use ROON, are you interested in getting and using ROON? If so, if your current DAC, SSP or other component manufacturer would provide an upgrade or trade-in path for a upgraded or new model that is ROON Ready would you be interested in doing this for a fair price. Not applicable (note: I requested and requested to ATI-Theta Digital that the CB SSP become ROON Ready to no avail, and the upcoming CBV is not ROON Ready)

6. If you use ROON, if you used other music software prior, how do you compare it to ROON both featurewise and sonically?

I first used a Bryston BDP-1 with their own software. Then moved into a separate computer built by Small Green Computer, based on Computer Audiophile version 3, with JRiver Media Center, which was much better featurewise than the Bryston. Then 4 years ago I moved into ROON, which I think is much better for music features and when I switched it was about the same sonically - and over the years has got even better!
See above for my answers.
bmcn likes this.

Theater Renovation: 3 Aerial Acoustics 7ts & 6 7LCRs; 13 Triad Rotating Silver/9 Sat; 9 Seaton 21" sealed subwoofers; Trinnov Altitude 32 SSP; 3 Theta Digital Prometheus, Trinnov Amplitude 8 & 8M, and ATI AT526NC amplifiers; Sony VW5000 projector; Lumagen Radiance Pro; Panamorph DCR lens; Stewart Filmscreen Vistascope 14' wide 2.40 SnoMatte 100 screen; Kaleidescape & Pioneer UDP-LX500 4k players; Apple TV 4k; TIVO Bolt OTA.
post #3 of 20 Old 11-26-2019, 01:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2263 Post(s)
Liked: 3185
2) Expect to purchase lifetime sub if 1 year sub continues smoothly.

3) ATM two devices, AVR and SU-8 DAC/Senn 800 headphone amp on different floors and opposite sides of house. Considering SHD Studio for front end of new system.

4) Flacs on Win 10 device that runs core, will migrate those to NAS.

6) Its extensive metadata has little value to me, ease of use and Waf are the major positives. After using Foobar ~10 years and recent short trial of jRiver, Roon nailed it hands down. It's controversial, I swear Senn 800s sound smoother from memory compared to the others.

Good questions, hope thread becomes popular.

Last edited by bmcn; 11-26-2019 at 04:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 11-27-2019, 12:49 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 189
1. Yes
2. Lifetime membership
3. I use a Roon Nucleus as the core. I use Meridian MS-200's as Roon endpoints, and I have my McIntosh D100 pre-amp (which is "Roon ready") connected to my Mac Pro via a USB-A to USB cable.
4. For music storage, I use a USB solid state hard drive connected via USB to my Roon Nucleus. I also have a QNAP NAS identified as Roon storage.
5. I would like for McIntosh to add full Roon endpoint capability to my new MX170 if feasible.
6. I used Sooloos prior to getting Roon. Roon is much better.

John

Last edited by JFR0317; 12-07-2019 at 09:40 AM. Reason: spelling corrections
post #5 of 20 Old 11-27-2019, 05:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 133
I use Roon and have a lifetime subscription.

Roon is installed on my HTPC that has all of my music. Before acquiring the Altitude 16, I used HDMI from the PC to my Sherwood Newcastle R-972 to use Roon. While the HDMI cable is still in place, Roon now plays over the local network to the Altitude.

I also use JRiver but prefer Roon for search, playback options and especially because it will keep playing music it thinks is similar when playback of the selected artist/genre/list is complete. I never have 'end of program' silence with Roon.

Jeff

Last edited by Stereojeff; 11-27-2019 at 05:53 PM.
post #6 of 20 Old 11-27-2019, 05:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 286
I want roon its too expensive.
post #7 of 20 Old 11-27-2019, 05:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 41
1. Do you use ROON? YES. GREAT USER INTERFACE. HQ PLAYER DOWNSTREAM

2. If you use ROON, do you have an annual or a lifetime membership? LIFETIME

3. If you use ROON, do you have separate ROON Core and ROON Ready devices, or just one device. What devices do you have to play ROON? If you use a SSP to play ROON, what SSP and is it ROON Ready connected via ethernet, or do you use AES/EBU or coaxial digital input, or USB input, to a non-ROON Ready DAC, SSP or other device? ROON ON DESKTOP WITH HIGH END CUDA CARD THAT HQ PLAYER LEVERAGES. DAC WITH ETHERNET INPUT.

4. Do you use a network attached component for your music storage, and if so, which device and how much storage do you have? SYNOLOGY. 10 BAYS. 8GB/BAY. ROUGHLY 16GB OF MUSIC.

6. If you use ROON, if you used other music software prior, how do you compare it to ROON both featurewise and sonically? ALSO USE J RIVER WHICH HAS BETTER CONTROL OVER TAGGING. NO OBVIOUS SONIC DIFFERENCES.
post #8 of 20 Old 11-28-2019, 07:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereojeff View Post
it will keep playing music it thinks is similar when playback of the selected artist/genre/list is complete. I never have 'end of program' silence with Roon.

Initially turned it off, but have grown to enjoy local Roon radio for casual listening; wife loves it.

Last edited by bmcn; 11-28-2019 at 08:03 AM.
post #9 of 20 Old 11-28-2019, 07:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
1. No
2. --
3. --
4. Yes. HP Microserver. 12 TB with abt. 2 TB music.
5. No and no.

6. A Vero4k (Kodi) + Bliss works well enough for me.
post #10 of 20 Old 11-28-2019, 05:28 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Roon music software poll-questions

1. Yes.

2. I have had a Roon annual subscription for past 11 months to see if I liked it but have enjoyed it significantly and will be lifetime subscriber by end of 2019. My biggest wish for Roon would be to see more services integrated like Apple Music, and Amazon in addition to Tidal and Qobuz. I tried both Tidal and Qobuz and decide I prefer Qobuz. I dropped Tidal due to their bias towards affiliated artists when using algorithms to find new music.

3. My NAS/Server runs Roon Core. My Roon Endpoints are various. Media Room, NAIM NDX2 via Ethernet, but will be replaced soon by Trinnov A16. Study, Naim ND5 XS 2 via Ethernet into Mac integrated. Then we have 12 Sonos connected devices, mostly Amps running pairs of passive speakers for whole home audio.

4. I’ve used Synology Diskstation 1512+ but nic card failed outside of 1y warranty due to power surge rendering the Synnology bricked and repair quote was equal to new NAS. I now use a QNAP TS-463U with 4 4TB HDD, max RAM, AMD quad core. The QNAP holds owned music files and also serves as Roon Core.

5. Ive recently purchased a Trinnov A16 and Roon integration was a major reason for this.

6. I think Roon is tops. I’ve used Sonos extensively since original Sonos Z player. I’ve used BlueOS, Naim Apps, as well as the Apps from services of Qobuz, Tidal, Apple Music, Spotify and Pandora.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

post #11 of 20 Old 11-30-2019, 04:43 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 11
1. Yes
2. Lifetime membership
3. I use a mac mini as the core. I use La Rosita Beta New as Roon endpoints.
4. For music storage, I have a nas with 80Tb
post #12 of 20 Old 11-30-2019, 10:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 5125 Post(s)
Liked: 3981

1. Do you use ROON? Yes.

2. If you use ROON, do you have an annual or a lifetime membership? Lifetime

3. If you use ROON, do you have separate ROON Core and ROON Ready devices, or just one device. SGC CDR i5.What devices do you have to play ROON? Trinnov

4. Do you use a network attached component for your music storage, and if so, which device and how much storage do you have? Both my NAS and SGC memory

5. If you do not use ROON, are you interested in getting and using ROON? If so, if your current DAC, SSP or other component manufacturer would provide an upgrade or trade-in path for a upgraded or new model that is ROON Ready would you be interested in doing this for a fair price.

6. If you use ROON, if you used other music software prior, how do you compare it to ROON both featurewise and sonically?User interface and integration of my library and streamed data from Quobuz. Absolutley ZERO difference sonically.
post #13 of 20 Old 12-06-2019, 04:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The more I use it, the more I like it.
post #14 of 20 Old 12-06-2019, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcn View Post
The more I use it, the more I like it.
NO SH_T! ROON is marvelous.

Aside from using it in my home theater, I also use ROON on my iPad and iPhone if I'm about the house or also with several tvs (using a Google Chromecast dongle which is ROON Ready).
Also in my home office upstairs I have a pair of Vanatoo Two powered speakers and use ROON on my PC.

Last edited by Steve Bruzonsky; 12-07-2019 at 09:51 AM.
post #15 of 20 Old 12-06-2019, 07:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
NO SH_T! ROON is marvelous.

Aside from using it in my home theater, I also use ROON on my iPad and iPhone if I'm about the house or also with several tvs (using a Google Chromecast dongle which is ROON Ready).
Don't have any apples. Based on feedback from Roon's forum I debated buying an 12.9 iPad Pro, new or 2nd g, vs 2019 fire hd 10, which I bought solely for use as a remote; so far, so good w/fire. After a positive experience with a basic setup, just beginning to think of other possibilities to apply Roon, as you have done.

No doubt it's first class software.
post #16 of 20 Old 12-06-2019, 10:25 PM - Thread Starter

The iPad Pro is fantastic as a ROON controller because of the large screen you see a lot more albums per page. After using it its hard to go back to a smaller tablet screen!

post #17 of 20 Old 12-07-2019, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

1. Do you use ROON? Yes or No.

2. If you use ROON, do you have an annual or a lifetime membership?

4. Do you use a network attached component for your music storage, and if so, which device and how much storage do you have?

I use Roon both in a dedicated stereo room and throughout the house audio system. I subscribed one year then converted to a lifetime subscription. By far, the best music software I’ve used.

In the stereo room, I use a Dell touchscreen monitor for Roon core and it plays through a Lindemann preamp, Mark Levinson amp setup. It also plays through Bryston digital player and DAC. Roon is populated by a NAS with a 10 TB capacity and also through iTunes on the Dell. Currently about 7000 albums.

The house system has dedicated speakers in every room controlled by iPad Pros. Roon plays using Sonos connected to centralized URC amps and preamp - also utilizing the NAS.
post #18 of 20 Old 12-07-2019, 02:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked: 682
OK, I've been lazy in answering but here it is -

1. Use Roon - Yes
2. Lifetime - went directly from a 60 day free trial to lifetime...and glad I did since they raised the price!

3. Roon core-server is a sonicTransporter i5-CDR with 2TB hard drive. Multiple playback devices - main one is the Trinnov Altitude 16 which is Roon-ready. The other playback devices (designated as zones) are 4 laptops which have Roon playback software installed. For the Altitude, I use an ipad for the Roon playback app. I also have 1 other playback device: a Sonore ultraRendu Roon-ready player connected by USB to an iFi Pro DSD DAC for headphone and analog stereo tube preamp. The sonicTransporter, Trinnov, laptops, & Sonore are all connected by wired ethernet.

4. Western Digital mycloud 4 bay NAS used for backup of music files only, not playback. All playback music files are stored on the sonicTransporter.
5. NA
6. Only other music software I've ever used in itunes & that was only to get music onto the phone and very occasional PC playback. I know...a no-contest comparison . I've tire-kicked J River a few times, even to download a free trial once but never was that interested in computer file based music until I bought the Trinnov Altitude. I was married to discs. The Altitude being Roon-ready was a big factor in changing my mind as well as a very persuasive Trinnov owner (audioguy) that I've gotten to know well.

I initially used Roon for my local stored files purchased from various sources: Acoustic Sounds, NativeDSD, Qobuz & even my itunes aac files. I finally signed up with Qobuz recently since they announced their big price reduction and streaming only hi-rez & CD quality. Went with the annual subscription. If they ever offer a lifetime option, I'd probably go for it.

On my impressions of using Roon & Qobuz & what it's meant to my decade's of music listening - wow! I've even setup a few internet radio stations in Roon that I occasionally enjoyed using the Marantz prepro and Pioneer AVR. It's all there in 1 package.

Steve

Last edited by ss9001; 12-07-2019 at 02:14 PM.
post #19 of 20 Old 12-07-2019, 02:17 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Agreed Roon and Qobuz are wonderful. I love picking a few songs to que from my NAS and the Roon Radio takes over and does a great job DJing and exposing me to forgotten and new music. I miss it when I’m not home and on the road.

Streaming Qobuz direct to my mobile while, obviously a sonic step down but I wish Roon could curate my mobile Qobuz stream the same way it does at home.

I’m not patient enough to build playlists and my listening mods changes and my tastes diverse.

I just want to vote up/down songs and have Roon learn what I’m into and evolve over time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #20 of 20 Old 12-08-2019, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdfein View Post
...I love picking a few songs to que from my NAS and the Roon Radio takes over and does a great job DJing and exposing me to forgotten and new music.

Beware the algorithm, or does ai have a sense of humor? After conclusion of Nutcracker today, Roon served up local copy of Speak to Me, Wembley version.

Last edited by bmcn; 12-08-2019 at 08:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page