What SPL level have you calibrated your setup to? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
  • 1 Post By m0j0
  • 3 Post By appelz
  • 2 Post By peniku8
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 11-30-2019, 05:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Kain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Dubai, UAE
Posts: 4,312
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked: 916
What SPL level have you calibrated your setup to?

Calibrating your setup to 85 dB (85 dB average + 20 dB peaks = 105 dB) is considered "theatrical reference level" and is generally very loud, especially for smaller rooms. For smaller rooms, it is generally recommended that you calibrate somewhere between 75 to 80 dB (or even lower). I just wanted to get an idea of what level everyone here is calibrating their setups to.
Kain is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 Old 11-30-2019, 10:27 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Steve Bruzonsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 1999
Location: Gilbert, Arizona
Posts: 20,208
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1665 Post(s)
Liked: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post
Calibrating your setup to 85 dB (85 dB average + 20 dB peaks = 105 dB) is considered "theatrical reference level" and is generally very loud, especially for smaller rooms. For smaller rooms, it is generally recommended that you calibrate somewhere between 75 to 80 dB (or even lower). I just wanted to get an idea of what level everyone here is calibrating their setups to.
75 dB

No dealer is authorized to tell you I refer to them - any referrals I make will be done personally by me. Over the years I have found certain dealer(s) who I cannot recommend for good reason! 9.9.13 Trinnov Altitude 32 Theatre renovation/upgrade still in process!
Steve Bruzonsky is offline  
post #3 of 17 Old 12-01-2019, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Kain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Dubai, UAE
Posts: 4,312
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked: 916
Only one reply? Come on folks, it's not that hard of a question.
Kain is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 17 Old 12-01-2019, 01:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
m0j0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,851
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Audyssey is calibrating the system to 75db / setting the reference volume, then I usually play around -15 to -12 reference when watching movies.
m0j0 is offline  
post #5 of 17 Old 12-02-2019, 05:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
audioguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far from Atlanta - but far enough!
Posts: 9,786
Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5124 Post(s)
Liked: 3978
See HERE for a complete explanation on reference level. In reality, while I may calibrate to 85dB, I actually play back at whatever level the movie demands. And in the case of poorly mixed Disney action movies, I have to crank it up a bunch, which usually means reference.
audioguy is offline  
post #6 of 17 Old 12-02-2019, 04:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DreamWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Dirty South Jersey
Posts: 2,279
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0j0 View Post
Audyssey is calibrating the system to 75db / setting the reference volume, then I usually play around -15 to -12 reference when watching movies.
Does Audyssey calibrate to 75dB or use 75dB tones and then set the volume so the 0dB point is 85dB?

Me, I don't care where I stick my volume knob (it's content-specific anyway), but after "calibrating" my ears to a meter, I tend to set the control somewhere around a 70dB(A) average listening level for most movies. I double check my ears' "calibration" every now and then by running REW (calibrated mic) (or a phone app and adjusting) in the background during the movie and measuring dB(A). I haven't done this in a while, but I spot-check every so often just out of curiosity. I do find I end up setting the volume higher watching action movies because it's "fun".

That said, if my daughter is down there with me, I try to keep it lower. This is mostly because my wife, despite me citing OSHA regs to her, thinks I'll damage her hearing and gives me a "talking to" (which is partially ignored, just like her ignoring OSHA -- I find a middle ground, if she can't hear it upstairs, I can't get "yelled at", ).

Music is another story -- I don't often measure...maybe I'm afraid to, . It's probably close, but certainly creeps up more easily and generally stays there for the night. It takes one good song to push me 3dB higher and, unless I cue something way overcooked (mix-wise) or that I end up disliking, those three bells often get shaved at the beginning of the next night's session. That cycle repeats until, frequently, what starts at -36dB (volume control) ends up around -30 or even -25 -- atypically much higher or I get "yelled at", . May have something to do with my choice of music and the gobs of subs I have in an untreated basement.... I usually get a text, "let's shut down club Brian for the night, hun" .
DreamWarrior is offline  
post #7 of 17 Old 12-02-2019, 05:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
m0j0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,851
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWarrior View Post
Does Audyssey calibrate to 75dB or use 75dB tones and then set the volume so the 0dB point is 85dB?

Me, I don't care where I stick my volume knob (it's content-specific anyway), but after "calibrating" my ears to a meter, I tend to set the control somewhere around a 70dB(A) average listening level for most movies. I double check my ears' "calibration" every now and then by running REW (calibrated mic) (or a phone app and adjusting) in the background during the movie and measuring dB(A). I haven't done this in a while, but I spot-check every so often just out of curiosity. I do find I end up setting the volume higher watching action movies because it's "fun".

That said, if my daughter is down there with me, I try to keep it lower. This is mostly because my wife, despite me citing OSHA regs to her, thinks I'll damage her hearing and gives me a "talking to" (which is partially ignored, just like her ignoring OSHA -- I find a middle ground, if she can't hear it upstairs, I can't get "yelled at", ).

Music is another story -- I don't often measure...maybe I'm afraid to, . It's probably close, but certainly creeps up more easily and generally stays there for the night. It takes one good song to push me 3dB higher and, unless I cue something way overcooked (mix-wise) or that I end up disliking, those three bells often get shaved at the beginning of the next night's session. That cycle repeats until, frequently, what starts at -36dB (volume control) ends up around -30 or even -25 -- atypically much higher or I get "yelled at", . May have something to do with my choice of music and the gobs of subs I have in an untreated basement.... I usually get a text, "let's shut down club Brian for the night, hun" .
Meant to say Audyssey is calibrating using 75db test tones to reference level, which is 85db. I then play most movies around -15 from reference.
DreamWarrior likes this.
m0j0 is offline  
post #8 of 17 Old 12-02-2019, 10:35 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
appelz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: A Hilton property near you!
Posts: 895
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 681 Post(s)
Liked: 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWarrior View Post

That said, if my daughter is down there with me, I try to keep it lower. This is mostly because my wife, despite me citing OSHA regs to her, thinks I'll damage her hearing and gives me a "talking to" (which is partially ignored, just like her ignoring OSHA -- I find a middle ground, if she can't hear it upstairs, I can't get "yelled at", ).
Your wife isn't far from correct. OSHA regulations don't prevent hearing loss. They assume a reasonable amount of hearing loss so that when a worker retires, they can still hear their SO telling them that they should have listened to her about OSHA.
m0j0, DreamWarrior and sdrucker like this.

Adam Pelz ,Acoustic Mafia - Hear No Evil
JBL Master ARCOS Calibrator, CEDIA Designer, Home Acoustics Alliance Instructor LIII, THX HT1+ HT2+ Video, Level III Trinnov Altitude Calibrator
Mercenary Calibrator for Manufacturers, Integrators and System Owners
appelz is offline  
post #9 of 17 Old 12-03-2019, 03:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Kain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Dubai, UAE
Posts: 4,312
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked: 916
By the way, what's the point of "reference level" if all movies don't really follow the concept? For example, I can watch Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace (the podrace sequence) at 0 dB without any issues (in fact I can go up to +5 dB without it being painful). However, Deepwater Horizon is almost unbearable at around -8 dB.
Kain is offline  
post #10 of 17 Old 12-03-2019, 11:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DreamWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Dirty South Jersey
Posts: 2,279
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by appelz View Post
Your wife isn't far from correct. OSHA regulations don't prevent hearing loss. They assume a reasonable amount of hearing loss so that when a worker retires, they can still hear their SO telling them that they should have listened to her about OSHA.
Fair enough, I'm also nowhere near their limits -- though, not specifically because I took your point into account. Rather, simply just because I figure there is always "wiggle room" in anything; best to be on the cautious side of it.

P.S. I'm not telling her she was "right", lol.
DreamWarrior is offline  
post #11 of 17 Old 12-04-2019, 12:47 PM
Member
 
CptSpig's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: California
Posts: 177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 65
I calibrated the gain structure with pre-amp test tones to 75db at 0 (reference MVL) which equals 105db speakers and 115db subs in REW.

-----------------------
My Listening Room
CptSpig is offline  
post #12 of 17 Old 12-04-2019, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member
 
peniku8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Germany
Posts: 587
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWarrior View Post
if she can't hear it upstairs, I can't get "yelled at"

If the music is loud enough you can't hear the yelling either. Win-Win
Craig Peer and ss nimrod like this.

A Star Is Born - Lady Gaga goes Rock Audio&Video by Ocean Studios (me)
SKHorn Build
Samsung KS7500 - Marantz NR1504 - Klipsch R-26F - Klipsch R-25C - Klipsch R-15M - SKHorn (on FP-13000 clone)
Bass EQ for Filtered Video Games
peniku8 is online now  
post #13 of 17 Old 12-04-2019, 01:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DreamWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Dirty South Jersey
Posts: 2,279
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by peniku8 View Post
If the music is loud enough you can't hear the yelling either. Win-Win
And if I listen loud enough long enough, I'll never be able to hear either again...win-lose, lol.
DreamWarrior is offline  
post #14 of 17 Old 12-06-2019, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Kain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Dubai, UAE
Posts: 4,312
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked: 916
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSpig View Post
I calibrated the gain structure with pre-amp test tones to 75db at 0 (reference MVL) which equals 105db speakers and 115db subs in REW.
How loud do you usually listen to? Do you find that the 708i can keep up with your SPL requirements? What's the loudest you've gone on the MVL?
Kain is offline  
post #15 of 17 Old 12-06-2019, 11:47 AM
Member
 
CptSpig's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: California
Posts: 177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post
How loud do you usually listen to? Do you find that the 708i can keep up with your SPL requirements? What's the loudest you've gone on the MVL?
The loudest we listen is -10 from reference "0". I applied gain management on this system and designed the speakers for 105db, Subwoofers at 115db at reference "0". The 708i's and 705i's have no problems with 105db at reference. The seven series speakers are amazing but need to have the DSP files to sound right. If you have not listen to these speakers try to get a audition.

-----------------------
My Listening Room
CptSpig is offline  
post #16 of 17 Old Yesterday, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member
 
LydMekk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Spain
Posts: 627
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 241
75db.

"If everything is under control you are just not driving fast enough"

Home Theatre Heaven in Spain - V2.0 - Build thread
LydMekk is offline  
post #17 of 17 Old Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Kings Park, NY
Posts: 214
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 443
75db here also

PSA MTM 210T's, MTM 210C, MT 110SR, V-1800, V-1801
65" LG 4K, Denon AVR-X4300H, EAT B Sharp Turntable, Xbox One X
ss nimrod is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off