LED Panel Integrator - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 12-08-2019, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
LED Panel Integrator

Looking for recommendations for AV integrators with loads of experience spec'ing, selling, and installing LED panels. We are locating in Chicago, IL working on a project happening the end of next year (10/2020).

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-09-2019, 06:38 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 73
What size panel do you have in mind? What kind of resolution? Budget?

Based on your response you could talk to a guy so experienced I refer to him as the Yoda of high-performance Video Walls. Although west coast based he has his network, he knows way more than what the companies showing at CEDIA and Infocomm, more than the average VideoWall exec that typically treat these matters as glorified billboards, truly videophile Yoda level, and very personable.

If there are no fixed Budget restrictions SONY's C-Led Engineering person is based out of Chicago. He is extremely exacting on the flexing tolerances of the framing system, something like .005".

If you want those contacts PM me, I can try to dig up. I have no relation.

"I have spoken."

Last edited by CP850-CLED; 12-09-2019 at 06:54 AM.
post #3 of 10 Old 12-09-2019, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks.
Looking to purchase or (less likely) rent (5) 2.6mm pixel pitch panels at varying total dimensions that all around 9’ x 9’.
Looking for pixel for pixel playback, deep blacks, accurate color rendition.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 12-09-2019, 08:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstec View Post
Thanks.
Looking to purchase or (less likely) rent (5) 2.6mm pixel pitch panels at varying total dimensions that all around 9’ x 9’.
Looking for pixel for pixel playback, deep blacks, accurate color rendition.
2.6 is like commodity these days, and therefor not too much attention is being given to them, bulk install, retail signage, and so on, so you are right to ask for above standard installation and performance. Wide gamut is something these borderline fine/narrow pitch indoor screens generally don't offer. P3 has a completely different meaning to the vendors, Rec. 709 being a target. Be aware the industry finally switched from square to 16:9 rectangular panels a few years ago.
post #5 of 10 Old 12-09-2019, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldk View Post
2.6 is like commodity these days, and therefor not too much attention is being given to them, bulk install, retail signage, and so on, so you are right to ask for above standard installation and performance. Wide gamut is something these borderline fine/narrow pitch indoor screens generally don't offer. P3 has a completely different meaning to the vendors, Rec. 709 being a target. Be aware the industry finally switched from square to 16:9 rectangular panels a few years ago.
Thanks for validating that point I was making about quality being primary and a point to focus on. I go to InfoComm and I hear the integrators talking about all of the LED pitfalls and it boggles the mind. Coming from an art museum background, we wouldn't accept it. I need assurances that the tech will represent the artist's intent and not add processing and shift colors.
post #6 of 10 Old 12-09-2019, 09:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well the Samsung Onyx (Cinema version of its commercial LED technology) is only 2.5 (and even 3.3 to get to 14 meters) mm, so there are ways to make these medium pitch displays look great.
post #7 of 10 Old 12-09-2019, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Well the Samsung Onyx (Cinema version of its commercial LED technology) is only 2.5 (and even 3.3 to get to 14 meters) mm, so there are ways to make these medium pitch displays look great.
Yes, Samsung Onyx is the type of product I feel fits our expectations.

Players are another issue. The resolution barely gets above 1920px but after this exhibition we are aiming to play 4K ProRes 444 files. One integrator spec'ed a single server for all displays in the exhibition, which seemed convenient but problematic if the server went down - the whole exhibition would go down. Another spec'ed BrightSign players which are very robust, but have very limited bit rates. I've been looking into Blackmagic and Aja players which are small and can be moved to a no location simply, but are not straightforward when they need to be synced. Thinking out loud - thanks for the feedback.
post #8 of 10 Old 12-09-2019, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

https://7thsensedesign.com/ Has been the go to player for high-res video. The beta server has been used for a number of years to support the big screen experience demos at IBC. I see these folks now have much more and more commercial options.

But pro-res is commmodity/basic infrastructure right? So I am sure less expensive players like Atomos have plenty of options. Guess that would be the same group as Black Magic and AJA. So you are looking at video, not graphics.
post #9 of 10 Old 12-10-2019, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
https://7thsensedesign.com/ Has been the go to player for high-res video. The beta server has been used for a number of years to support the big screen experience demos at IBC. I see these folks now have much more and more commercial options.

But pro-res is commmodity/basic infrastructure right? So I am sure less expensive players like Atomos have plenty of options. Guess that would be the same group as Black Magic and AJA. So you are looking at video, not graphics.
ProRes is currently the most common format art museum's receive for recent (last 10 years) born-digital artwork videos. Typically, we reformat these ProRes 'masters' by lowering the bitrate to playback on a BrightSign player. Our conservation department would prefer we playback the master file natively, pixel for pixel, matching the color space...regardless of the content.
post #10 of 10 Old 12-10-2019, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 105
For the sizes in question, 1.5mm pitch would seem the best cost / performance balance. It is possible to support 4K source material, High bit levels (10 or even 12bit) even HDR on these.

Lots of options for infrastructure beyond just a commercial player especially if it is “simple playback” but high quality that is required.

Calibration of the displays is a massive differentiator for LED and indeed seems to be an area that is often ignored in the commodity market.

So excellent quality can be obtained at a reasonable (not bargain basement) cost. Happy to discuss more if it helps.

Neil Davidson - DT Screens
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page