First-Run Movies at Home for the Ultra-Rich at Just $2,500 a Pop - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
  • 3 Post By Art Sonneborn
  • 3 Post By LJG

post #1 of 7 Old 01-02-2020, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2073 Post(s)
Liked: 940
First-Run Movies at Home for the Ultra-Rich at Just $2,500 a Pop

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...st-2-500-a-pop
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-02-2020, 04:59 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1337 Post(s)
Liked: 1810
I think the super-wealthy know as we do that there are few first-run films worth ten bucks let alone $2500. If I did not have all my older films I'd not bother having the room I have.

Art
LJG, Mark_H and Spizz like this.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-02-2020, 08:10 PM
LJG
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked: 526
I don't know how they will survive, I spoke with the CEO a few months ago, and they are marketing it as a private country club for Movie viewers. I can wait the 12-18 weeks, maybe go for $100 on blockbuster day and date. Prima Cinema failed quickly.
Art Sonneborn, mmiles and Spizz like this.

Last edited by LJG; 01-15-2020 at 09:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 01-15-2020, 08:34 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 190
I was the first Prima Cinema customer. They actually gave me a serial #001 etched finger print swipe reader (to activate you had to swipe your fingerprint, no lie). It cost about $30k. The CEO struggled with pricing per movie, finding out that clientele were reluctant paying, say $600 per movie.

But pricing wasn’t the problem.

The biggest problem, and it looks like Red Carpet are running into the same issue, is signing up ALL the studios, and then getting ALL their releases. The whole point of this is to screen blockbusters. Who cares if you can screen some indie film that no one knows four months early?

If Red Carpet can’t get Disney, Sony (Columbia), and Universal to also sign up, it won’t work. I think I ended up only watching one or two movies from the Prima box because the blockbusters weren’t available. In the end, you’d have a depressing list of indie films showing in the carrousel.

Samsung The Wall Lux
Sony XBR-65A1E
post #5 of 7 Old 01-15-2020, 09:28 AM
LJG
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptrubey View Post
I was the first Prima Cinema customer. They actually gave me a serial #001 etched finger print swipe reader (to activate you had to swipe your fingerprint, no lie). It cost about $30k. The CEO struggled with pricing per movie, finding out that clientele were reluctant paying, say $600 per movie.

But pricing wasn’t the problem.

The biggest problem, and it looks like Red Carpet are running into the same issue, is signing up ALL the studios, and then getting ALL their releases. The whole point of this is to screen blockbusters. Who cares if you can screen some indie film that no one knows four months early?

If Red Carpet can’t get Disney, Sony (Columbia), and Universal to also sign up, it won’t work. I think I ended up only watching one or two movies from the Prima box because the blockbusters weren’t available. In the end, you’d have a depressing list of indie films showing in the carrousel.
If Prime clients were reluctant to pay $600, why would Red Carpet customers pay $2500? Just curious about Prime Cinema did it just go dark and off line without warning?
post #6 of 7 Old 01-15-2020, 03:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJG View Post
If Prime clients were reluctant to pay $600, why would Red Carpet customers pay $2500? Just curious about Prime Cinema did it just go dark and off line without warning?
Yeah, it pretty much went dark without warning, but it was pretty obvious to users that it wasn’t going anywhere for about a year before that. It’s the studio selection. If they can’t get the blockbusters, then it’s pointless.

Samsung The Wall Lux
Sony XBR-65A1E
post #7 of 7 Old Yesterday, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Does Barco Residential still offer DCi packages to its clients?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page