ISCO III vs PANAM0RPH PALADIN - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Steve Bruzonsky
  • 1 Post By roxiedog13

post #1 of 15 Old 01-04-2020, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1064 Post(s)
Liked: 552
ISCO III vs PANAM0RPH PALADIN

I know the i3 is dated but what are the pros and cons of each?

Many here have owned both so I thought it would be a good place to start.

I’ve had the I3 for sometime and have been pondering a projector change.

Mike Miles
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-04-2020, 08:27 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1726 Post(s)
Liked: 886
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiles View Post

I owned an i3 with my Sim2 1080p projector, and mounted at about 17.5 feet from screen 2.35 128.5" wide, I was towards end of throw range and got great contrast.

My current Sony VW5000 is much brighter and yields a much bigger brighter picture, thus I have a 2.40 14' wide screen! If I had tried to use the i3 it would have been towards the very front of the throw range, if even that, and impractical, plus it doesn't do all of the Sony's 4096 4k pixel structure, as does the DCR lens, the latter which can be mounted at a lesser ratio throw distance and with a minimum recommended throw of 1.4. My theater renovation is moving my projector back behind the back wall/cabinets so that the throw will be about 23', a throw ratio of 1.65.

Mike knowing you, you will get a top notch 4k 4096 pixel projector - so you will want the DCR.
Craig Peer likes this.

Theater Renovation: 3 Aerial Acoustics 7ts & 6 7LCRs; 13 Triad Rotating Silver/9 Sat; 9 Seaton 21" sealed subwoofers; Trinnov Altitude 32 SSP; 3 Theta Digital Prometheus, Trinnov Amplitude 8 & 8M, and ATI AT526NC amplifiers; Sony VW5000 projector; Lumagen Radiance Pro; Panamorph DCR lens; Stewart Filmscreen Vistascope 14' wide 2.40 SnoMatte 100 screen; Kaleidescape & Pioneer UDP-LX500 4k players; Apple TV 4k; TIVO Bolt OTA.
post #3 of 15 Old 01-05-2020, 07:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:

I’️ve had the I3 for sometime and have been pondering a projector change.
If you are going to get 4096 panel Projector like Sony 4K then you will need ISCO 1.25x DLP lens . ISCOIIiL won’t fit the panel as Steve said. It is much bigger and heavier than ISCO III L (I have both ) . Schneider is a 100 years old very well respected German company that makes all kind of precision optics for all kinds of industries, commercial cinema, photography etc . So you can’t go wrong with it . People who have used DCR with their Sony here have been very happy with as well . It will be very unlikely that someone has both ISCO 1.25x L and DCR so you may not be able to get the head to head comparison . ISCO however is much more expensive also . Another difference is that you can get motorized SLED for ISCO that you can incorporate in your theater automation so you can have option to have lens out of the light path if you want to .
Just my 2 cents .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 01-05-2020, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 1726 Post(s)
Liked: 886
Quote:
Originally Posted by mani View Post
If you are going to get 4096 panel Projector like Sony 4K then you will need ISCO 1.25x DLP lens . ISCOIIiL won’t fit the panel as Steve said. It is much bigger and heavier than ISCO III L (I have both ) . Schneider is a 100 years old very well respected German company that makes all kind of precision optics for all kinds of industries, commercial cinema, photography etc . So you can’t go wrong with it . People who have used DCR with their Sony here have been very happy with as well . It will be very unlikely that someone has both ISCO 1.25x L and DCR so you may not be able to get the head to head comparison . ISCO however is much more expensive also . Another difference is that you can get motorized SLED for ISCO that you can incorporate in your theater automation so you can have option to have lens out of the light path if you want to .

Just my 2 cents .
All correct of course.

Keep in mind Mani go this Isco 1.25X and does not use a sled, and when he got it was a good year before the DCR lens was announced and became available. At that time Mani wanted more brightness for his 16' wide 2.40 screen and the Isco 1.25x was the only available choice.

Theater Renovation: 3 Aerial Acoustics 7ts & 6 7LCRs; 13 Triad Rotating Silver/9 Sat; 9 Seaton 21" sealed subwoofers; Trinnov Altitude 32 SSP; 3 Theta Digital Prometheus, Trinnov Amplitude 8 & 8M, and ATI AT526NC amplifiers; Sony VW5000 projector; Lumagen Radiance Pro; Panamorph DCR lens; Stewart Filmscreen Vistascope 14' wide 2.40 SnoMatte 100 screen; Kaleidescape & Pioneer UDP-LX500 4k players; Apple TV 4k; TIVO Bolt OTA.
post #5 of 15 Old 01-05-2020, 03:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mani View Post
If you are going to get 4096 panel Projector like Sony 4K then you will need ISCO 1.25x DLP lens . ISCOIIiL won’️t fit the panel as Steve said. It is much bigger and heavier than ISCO III L (I have both ) . Schneider is a 100 years old very well respected German company that makes all kind of precision optics for all kinds of industries, commercial cinema, photography etc . So you can’️t go wrong with it . People who have used DCR with their Sony here have been very happy with as well . It will be very unlikely that someone has both ISCO 1.25x L and DCR so you may not be able to get the head to head comparison . ISCO however is much more expensive also . Another difference is that you can get motorized SLED for ISCO that you can incorporate in your theater automation so you can have option to have lens out of the light path if you want to .

Just my 2 cents .
All correct of course.

Keep in mind Mani go this Isco 1.25X and does not use a sled, and when he got it was a good year before the DCR lens was announced and became available. At that time Mani wanted more brightness for his 16' wide 2.40 screen and the Isco 1.25x was the only available choice.
Hi Steve

I do you use motorized Sled
post #6 of 15 Old 01-05-2020, 05:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 508
The IIIL is NOT dated...it was way ahead of its time when it was first released over 15 years ago and it still is. I use it on my RS3000 and it looks fabulous.

You can use it at 3840 with no issues since UHDs are mastered at 3840, not 4096 so you are not losing anything. You can find them cheaper now than any other quality lens...so cheap its almost shocking.
post #7 of 15 Old 01-05-2020, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I have an offline discussion with a member and it appears the Paladin with a true 4K projector with true 4K content will have an edge but other than that keep the I3.

Mike Miles
[email protected]
post #8 of 15 Old 01-05-2020, 08:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have an offline discussion with a member and it appears the Paladin with a true 4K projector with true 4K content will have an edge but other than that keep the I3.
Then I think you should have kept it off line . As had been explained I3 is not meant for 4096 panel
What I mean is there is no reason to start ISCO vs DCR discussion as I said there really is no one on the forum who has done ISCO 1.25x DLP to Paladin head to head comparison On same projector that I know of . There will be ownership bias in the comments people will make . If you go by pure experience and expertise in that arena and commercial cinema and industrial optics ... you can research yourself into their products and expertise . That doesn’t necessarily mean newer entrant can’t have better product .
Just my 2 cents

Last edited by mani; 01-05-2020 at 08:47 PM.
post #9 of 15 Old 01-05-2020, 11:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mani,

I think that is what I said in a way. The DCR will have an advantage when used with a true 4K projector like the Sony on some JVC models.

Just trying to gather info.

Mike Miles
[email protected]
post #10 of 15 Old 01-06-2020, 06:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Mani,

I think that is what I said in a way. The DCR will have an advantage when used with a true 4K projector like the Sony on some JVC models.

Just trying to gather info.
No worries
I think you will be happy with either of them . Important thing is so enjoy the projector and your theater . All I was implying was there is probably no direct technical comparison between ISCO DLP ( people have compared ISCO 3 to DLP and DLP is much sharper lens than i3 from what I have gathered) and DCR on Sony 4K .
But if I was buying again I will probably get DCR just because of cost difference as long as I didn’t want the option of having the motorized Sled .
Any way good luck with your new projector and lens
post #11 of 15 Old 01-08-2020, 12:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 198
I have an ISCO 1.25x but my room is under construction so I can't yet test this scenario properly: I see that the DCR folks use a short throw ratio of around 1.4 for maximum brightness; I wonder if it might make sense since the ISCO 1.25x is so big if using it in reverse as a vertical compression lens is viable (i.e., the "exit" aperture is large enough and the lens coatings don't work too much against it) to likewise gain the extra brightness (and ~placement) from the short throw zoom. Anyone test this out?
post #12 of 15 Old 01-16-2020, 12:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 2832 Post(s)
Liked: 1505
Quote:

One thing not mentioned is that the ISCO is really suited for a curved screen , the DCR designed for a flat screen . The ISCO III has pincushion distortion, the paladin DCR barrel distortion. You can over scan for either to fit the image on screen, however the further back you mount the projector ( longest throw), the less the distortion .

I had the ISCO IIIL and DCR side by side , both are great product, neither seems to have an advantage for light or detail looking at 4K patterns . The one major difference is size and weight. The ISCO IIIL 1.33X is over double the weight and size of the DCR, the the ISCO 1.25 X is even bigger and heavier, you really need a separate mount for this whereas the DCR is small and light weight , in some cases, you can easily suspend this lens from the same mount as the projector.

Pretty sure only certain projectors have the ability to process the additional pixels ( 4098) from the 17:9 chip that can be used with the DCR , Sony projectors can certainly take advantage of this . Sony also has the ability to shrink the image content therefor there is no need to move the lens out of the way for 16:9 content . Hope that is right I may have that backwards This is only applicable to the DCR and ISCO 1.25X, the ISCO 1.33 lens can only utilize 3860 pixels regardless. Not sure that is an advantage except for content delivered, as most is filmed to fit 16:9 chips , scaling to 4098 ( 17:9 chips) may introduce scaling anomalies .
stef2 likes this.

Dedicated Theater: Sony VPL VW5000 , Panamorph DCR & ISCO III L Anamorphic Lens, Draper TecVision XT1800X Screen, 2.40:1 134" diagonal curved , Denon AVR-X8500 , 9.2.6 Atmos, Panasonic UB900, Oppo 203, Lumagen Pro 4440 , (3) Paradigm CI Elite E7-L+C+R fronts, , (2) CI Pro P80-IW Rear, (2) Paradigm SA-ADP In-wall Surround, (6) SIG-1.5R-30 v.3 In-Ceiling, Subwoofers: (2) SVS SB-16 Ultra , (1) SVS PC13-Ultra .

Last edited by roxiedog13; 01-16-2020 at 04:56 PM.
post #13 of 15 Old 01-18-2020, 12:31 PM

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 7483 Post(s)
Liked: 9065
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxiedog13 View Post

Pretty sure only certain projectors have the ability to process the additional pixels ( 4098) from the 17:9 chip that can be used with the DCR , Sony projectors can certainly take advantage of this . Sony also has the ability to shrink the image content therefor there is no need to move the lens out of the way for 16:9 content .
Hope that is right I may have that backwards This is only applicable to the DCR and ISCO 1.25X, the ISCO 1.33 lens can only utilize 3860 pixels regardless. Not sure that is an advantage except for content delivered, as most is filmed to fit 16:9 chips , scaling to 4098 ( 17:9 chips) may introduce scaling anomalies .
The Sony native 4K and the newer JVC 4K projectors can do this. The RS4500 requires a Lumagen or MadVR etc.
post #14 of 15 Old 01-18-2020, 01:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Or you can use the Paladin (non DCR) without a Lumagen with the RS4500. When you factor in the savings on the Lumagen & $2,000 on the non DCR lens difference its substantial IMO.

Last edited by RaceCarDriver; 01-18-2020 at 01:39 PM.
post #15 of 15 Old 01-18-2020, 01:30 PM

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 7483 Post(s)
Liked: 9065
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceCarDriver View Post
Or you can use the Paladin (non DCR) without a Lumagen with the RS4500. When you factor in the savings not he Lumagen & $2,000 on the lens difference its substantial IMO.
That is correct. You only need a Lumagen etc. for the DCR lens ( or a 1.25X ISCO ).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page