An Evening at Thebland's - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 193Likes

post #61 of 100 Old 03-01-2020, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Well at least no-one is saying that too much bass makes them nauseous. Actually, that reminds me of an article years ago which featured Fabio's audio system...there was so much low bass that his guests became nauseous, and it wasn't from his cooking. Loud low frequencies can disorient and induce some nausea.
Craig Peer likes this.

Design by Rives...dollars by The Bogg

Click for my build thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 100 Old 03-01-2020, 08:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post
Yea definitely quasi after the admission a few months ago that research into plaque removal shows that the plaques are likely a symptom of the disease, not the cause and thus the relationship among the variables becomes incredibly clouded. At this point, this is definitely an example of correlation not establishing causality.

As George Burns said all those things you have to give up to have a long life are all the things that make life worth living in the first place.

Don't get me wrong moderation healthy living is a great thing to aspire to.

Art

I always say if getting six more months in a nursing home is the result of eating a bit better, I don't care.
thebland likes this.

See ya. Dave

"The Blues ain't nothin' but a botheration on the mind." Otis Spann
post #63 of 100 Old 03-01-2020, 09:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Art and Jeff, I'm approaching my 20th anniversary on this forum and I remember when I first joined following both of your theaters as you progressed through technology and making improvements to each. The two of you have always been very gracious to the forum community by posting pictures, thoughts, ideas, and opening your homes up to others to experience your achievements. So I want to say thank you.

It appears that we also share an enjoyment of cars. I have not modded my 01 996TT as it has always been fast enough for me but giving it some more "aural grunt" continues to be on my to do list. I ran my 90 964 with GHL headers, no cats, and their high flow street muffler for some time and I always received the complement that "it sounds like everyone imagines a Porsche should sound like, a race car." My 1966 912 has webber carbs and a sport exhaust but nothing else.

I need to watch Ford v Ferrari but the media room is under construction right now, so I'm going to wait until it's done to watch the movie. Now if they would just give LeMans a restoration, new scan, and release it in 4k...

Grady
<<plain fan>>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 100 Old 03-01-2020, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1888 Post(s)
Liked: 1144
Quote:
Originally Posted by plain fan View Post
Art and Jeff, I'm approaching my 20th anniversary on this forum and I remember when I first joined following both of your theaters as you progressed through technology and making improvements to each. The two of you have always been very gracious to the forum community by posting pictures, thoughts, ideas, and opening your homes up to others to experience your achievements. So I want to say thank you.

It appears that we also share an enjoyment of cars. I have not modded my 01 996TT as it has always been fast enough for me but giving it some more "aural grunt" continues to be on my to do list. I ran my 90 964 with GHL headers, no cats, and their high flow street muffler for some time and I always received the complement that "it sounds like everyone imagines a Porsche should sound like, a race car." My 1966 912 has webber carbs and a sport exhaust but nothing else.

I need to watch Ford v Ferrari but the media room is under construction right now, so I'm going to wait until it's done to watch the movie. Now if they would just give LeMans a restoration, new scan, and release it in 4k...
Car Lovers - if you visit Jeff and his theater, be sure to allocate extra time to visit the Henry Ford Museum about a half hour from Jeff, with its great displays of America's cars including Presidential limousines including the one President Kennedy was in when he was assassinated!
thebland likes this.

Pray for all of our healthcare providers who are doing their best at great risk to help us survive the current Covid-19 virus crisis.
post #65 of 100 Old 03-01-2020, 01:22 PM

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2519 Post(s)
Liked: 1747
Well, I posted pork (the other white meat)... But now that red meat was brought up....

Prime 2.5 lb Tomahawk bone-in ribeye. Cooked sous vide, then placed on a red hot skillet directly on the burning hot coals and propane torched on top for good measure for the sear of a life time...

Red meat, as Art explained above, in moderation is good fuel - and boy does it taste good. I've always been a carnivore and always been fit... Red meat will not preclude excellent fitness. For me, red meat 2-3 times per month. I just make it a big deal when I do it!!! - I would argue glutens, rice, wheat and other grains can be just as damaging in other ways.

Problem is I gave up red meat for lent...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4594.jpg
Views:	587
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	2692028   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4565.jpg
Views:	587
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	2692030   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4580.jpg
Views:	579
Size:	153.1 KB
ID:	2692032   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4556.jpg
Views:	573
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	2692034  

Goodbye to a great audio and video genius and writer... JOHN GANNON. I enjoyed your friendship, wit and a nice long run we took around Indianapolis at CEDIA years back... and for buying my Runco 980 Ultra years back... you saved my ass! Rest in peace.
post #66 of 100 Old 03-01-2020, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plain fan View Post

Very kind... Art and I have been buddies for almost 20 years.. We've had a lot of fun along the way. Great hobby.. Appreciated!

Yep, like you and Ash, my 997.2 needs a bit more LFE ! Looking for a good installer and taking advice from Ash. Stay tuned... Thanks!

Goodbye to a great audio and video genius and writer... JOHN GANNON. I enjoyed your friendship, wit and a nice long run we took around Indianapolis at CEDIA years back... and for buying my Runco 980 Ultra years back... you saved my ass! Rest in peace.
post #67 of 100 Old 03-01-2020, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked: 2035
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post
No, I said I have avoided red meat for over 30 years, not just for health reasons either... hence my Okja comment. No, I am not going there. At parties or get togethers I never bring it up, never...unless I am offered red meat or pork and I have to politely turn it down. Here, on a tech forum, when I and others have been hit with wave after wave (on multiple threads) of countless zoomed in photos of slabs of beef and pork, it is foreseeable that it may cause such a response. No?

Carry on....
No one made you come here. If I held you in place with your eyes propped open as A Clockwork Orange I could understand but if this thread disgusts you find another ,honestly. What's the reasoning to bring it here ,to save us ?

Art
post #68 of 100 Old 03-01-2020, 02:14 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 1225 Post(s)
Liked: 1359
Lightbulb

Quote:
No one made you come here. If I held you in place with your eyes propped open as A Clockwork Orange I could understand but if this thread disgusts you find another ,honestly. What's the reasoning to bring it here ,to save us ?

Art

This thread has turned into more of a “Chef” or “Food Forum” thread instead of electronics but if that’s what they like then meat pics it is.

Sure I'd prefer projectors, pre pros, speakers and or Home theater aesthetics but I guess Red Meat it is. Reminds me of FB or Instagram. LoL

I have an amazing 995ES with the new 3.1 firmware for sale. Send me a PM...
post #69 of 100 Old 03-01-2020, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post
This thread has turned into more of a “Chef” or “Food Forum” thread instead of electronics but if that’s what they like then meat pics it is.

Sure I'd prefer projectors, pre pros, speakers and or Home theater aesthetics but I guess Red Meat it is. Reminds me of FB or Instagram. LoL
Well, the title of the thread was about an evening that featured equal parts eating, drinking, friendship and movies. Cooking was 1/2 the day. I’d say the thread is right on target.

post #70 of 100 Old 03-01-2020, 03:17 PM

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7800 Post(s)
Liked: 9880
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post
Well, the title of the thread was about an evening that featured equal parts eating, drinking, friendship and movies. Cooking was 1/2 the day. I’d say the thread is right on target.
Red meat and red wine - nothing better ! I should know - I just made short ribs and served them with a 1999 Valdacava Brunello ( among other Brunellos ) last weekend for my 64th birthday !
post #71 of 100 Old 03-01-2020, 04:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 606
Quote:
Who mentioned a nursing home? I will try and avoid nursing homes at all cost. Now in my low 50s, I can ski moguls like I did in my 20s (zipper line/WC form). I strongly believe in fitness, AND my diet plays just as big a role in that. In fact just finished 40 minutes on my Cybex Arc trainer, and polished down a nice veggie burger. Red meat is connected to accelerated aging throughout all age ranges of our lives to our bodies, not just our brains.

I eat red meat occasionally, my wife cooks with ground turkey for example. I walk 6-7 miles five days a week, so I get out and about. But when I'm craving that In-n-Out Double Double with raw onions and sauce only, I'm all in.

See ya. Dave

"The Blues ain't nothin' but a botheration on the mind." Otis Spann
post #72 of 100 Old 03-01-2020, 07:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1179 Post(s)
Liked: 759
Quote:
Well, I posted pork (the other white meat)... But now that red meat was brought up....

Prime 2.5 lb Tomahawk bone-in ribeye. Cooked sous vide, then placed on a red hot skillet directly on the burning hot coals and propane torched on top for good measure for the sear of a life time...

Red meat, as Art explained above, in moderation is good fuel - and boy does it taste good. I've always been a carnivore and always been fit... Red meat will not preclude excellent fitness. For me, red meat 2-3 times per month. I just make it a big deal when I do it!!! - I would argue glutens, rice, wheat and other grains can be just as damaging in other ways.

Ribeye, prepared sous vide and a nice Malbec for me... not sure there's a better cut of meat to be enjoyed in the world. I finish mine, flash sear, on the grill at 600°.
post #73 of 100 Old 03-01-2020, 07:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked: 1150
Quote:
I don’t think I’m alone here, but all those red meat pics are making me nauseous. I haven’t had red meat for over 30 years now, and not just for health/fitness reasons either... Perhaps a viewing of Forks Over Knives, followed by Netflix’s Okja would get an alternative point across, but to each his own, so dig in.
Perhaps you should leave this thread. Im a bit offended (and its not even mine.)

JTR/JBL/JVC/Denon/Oppo/Monoprice/Silver Ticket/Furman/Seatcraft/Acoustimac/AudioQuest/Harrison Labs/Roku
post #74 of 100 Old 03-01-2020, 08:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Quote:

The best steak I have ever tasted used a similar process, except it included cooling the meat after the sous vide step, then smoking it back to the original temp low and slow, then grilling it on high heat for the finish. Either way, the combo of sous vide and charcoal finishing can't be beat.

Mike
thebland likes this.
post #75 of 100 Old 03-02-2020, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhutchins View Post
The best steak I have ever tasted used a similar process, except it included cooling the meat after the sous vide step, then smoking it back to the original temp low and slow, then grilling it on high heat for the finish. Either way, the combo of sous vide and charcoal finishing can't be beat.

Mike
I read the review... I'll remember that... I love the smoke! Thanks!

post #76 of 100 Old 03-02-2020, 07:09 AM

Quote:
I don’t think I’m alone here, but all those red meat pics are making me nauseous. I haven’t had red meat for over 30 years now, and not just for health/fitness reasons either... Perhaps a viewing of Forks Over Knives, followed by Netflix’s Okja would get an alternative point across, but to each his own, so dig in.
It's like you came in asking for a fight. Proclaiming you don't eat meat and then recommending programming on Netflix to educate us into your dietary ways... 'Dig In'? Really??

Quote:
I have never been one to follow the masses.
This might have been a good time to do so. The masses would've known your post above was bad manners at a minimum. I think we all know what we put into our bodies.

Quote:
You guys just can’t help yourselves. Lots of sycophants here, I don’t play that game. I made no insulting, aggressive or defensive posts, just showing another side to what was presented, yet I got multiple insults and eye rolls. I am not here trying to “save anyone” or impress anyone, for that matter, unlike others. Go eat bushmeat for all I care. Bon appetite!

I think you missed the point.

Prior to your comments, all posts were all meat related (and positive). Far more people in the US eat meat than not. It's more mainstream than your diet. It is certainly more common on AVS... Lotta carnivores! No one had brought up health issues...

The issue here is like you walking up to a group of smokers enjoying their smokes and saying, "You know... I don't smoke, haven't done so for 30 years and I'm more fit than you because of it. You shouldn't smoke. Here's a pamphlet showing you the risks of smoking. Go educate yourselves.". The smokers know it, have heard their entire lives and, as adults, have made their own decisions to keep on puffing away. You don't need to remind them yet again...

Or.. Like walking up a someone with a glass of wine... same declaration of the ill effects of alcohol.. Same scenario as above. Bad manners.

You should've known your audience here. We weren't celebrating meat for meat's sake but the preparation technique, cut, flavor, etc. It was just fun stuff. Cooking is a hobby just like HT. There are a lot of gadgets, techniques, theories, etc. We all know the negatives of red meat - fat, hormones, animal proteins, etc... I have a copy of the China Study and have read it (i'm sure you have too). You coming in so aggressively saying your're 'nauseous', bragging about your fitness, suggesting 2 videos to watch and challenging us to 'dig in' started this whole kerfuffle.. The 'sycophant' comment didn't help either...

I'm not upset with you and likely nobody here is truly either, but you shouldn't have proclaimed your views and as such should've expected such a response! Geez, we were minding our own business and not criticizing anything or anyone.

You should simply apologize to all for your behavior without an reservations and move on... it was just bad form.

post #77 of 100 Old 03-02-2020, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 239
An Evening at Thebland's

Quote:

omfg that looks sooooooo good!

wow, THAT is a thing of beauty my friend.

well done. i wish to know how you did that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thebland likes this.

LG 55C8, Pioneer Elite VSX-LX503, Panamax M5400, Microsoft Xbox One X, Nvidia Shield Pro
Definitive Technology: BP9060 Front left/right/CS9040 center/A90 front Atmos/ProMonitor 800 rear Atmos/Mirage: MX bookshelves rear left/right
Rythmik FVX15
post #78 of 100 Old 03-02-2020, 09:52 AM

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7800 Post(s)
Liked: 9880
Ribeye steaks are my new go to. This is the best recipe I've tried - https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/...style-rib-eyes

Excellent with aged Napa cab or Bordeaux.
post #79 of 100 Old 03-02-2020, 10:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
In fact just finished 40 minutes on my Cybex Arc trainer, and polished down a nice veggie burger. Red meat is connected to accelerated aging throughout all age ranges of our lives to our bodies, not just our brains.
These days I am actually more concerned about the "veggie"burgers and other new veggie stuff that tries to look and feel like meat. These have all the possible and impossible ingredients that have been processed in a multiple ways and the name veggie doesn't tell anything about the content. Atleast with good meat I know what I get.

Lähetetty minun MRD-LX1 laitteesta Tapatalkilla
The Bogg likes this.

JVC DLA-RS500
post #80 of 100 Old 03-02-2020, 12:01 PM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked: 2237
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhutchins View Post

Mike
Interesting. I will give it a try. For me so far, I have found that I prefer to sous vide the meat on a lower than normal temp then throw it on the grill to get it to my preferred temp. Say maybe 8 minutes for a NY strip.

Having fun playing the new mobile game Volley Village
post #81 of 100 Old 03-02-2020, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

That sous vide isn't a whole lot hotter than my spa.

Art
post #82 of 100 Old 03-03-2020, 10:11 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 901 Post(s)
Liked: 671
Have fun tearing red meat out of my cold, dead hands. (Also, proud and surprised that I've been a member even longer than some of you other old timers!)
thebland likes this.

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
post #83 of 100 Old 03-03-2020, 01:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked: 1015
Spoiler!

last time I saw that pic was shortly after my now 10-year old daughter went vegeterian. I was hoping that would be a quick phase, but almost 2 years later and she's going strong so its still just beans, soups, lentils and tofu for us

(though I still will enjoy a good steak or burger when we go out....)
thebland and shivaji like this.
post #84 of 100 Old 03-03-2020, 02:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxiedog13 View Post
There is the difference between sharing thoughts on the internet in a forum vs the real world. What is posted in forums almost always is taken in a negative context, people take issue and on it goes. In person this would never happen as the primary nuances of direct communication which include facial cues and intonation are all missing leaving the person reading the message to fill in the blanks, most of the time negatively . This is just another example of how comments posted in forums can unfortunately slip into a negative exchange whereas the same discussion in person would be respectful and enjoyable.
Agree with the fact that posting in a forum can lead to misunderstandings but the reality is that we all need to learn how to post effectively to avoid issues...Jeff's recent post was an excellent example of a neutral, balanced approach to the exchange. About 10 years ago this forum was filled with many characters that seemingly had some anger issues and there were usually heated exchanges regularly. I'm glad that doesn't happen often. I don't know any of the guys here personally but have seen enough posts by many here to form an opinion of them anyway. I personally try not to be too douchey in my posts and if I come across a thread that I take issue with or don't agree with I do the only sensible thing...I stay the [email protected]%@@! out of it.
thebland and JFR0317 like this.

Design by Rives...dollars by The Bogg

Click for my build thread
post #85 of 100 Old 03-03-2020, 04:58 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Perhaps we can get back to our regularly scheduled AV program

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
joerod likes this.
post #86 of 100 Old 03-04-2020, 06:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwthacker View Post
Perhaps we can get back to our regularly scheduled AV program

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The only problem is that that program was about wine, chops, and friends enjoying both which is what seemed to have elicited the negative response in the first place.

But here goes.... as I said " I had a great time !".

Art
Jive Turkey likes this.
post #87 of 100 Old 03-04-2020, 07:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1318 Post(s)
Liked: 1348
I have enjoyed this thread and the pics displayed. Whether gear or food, cars or chicks, it's all good as far as I'm concerned. One thing we should all be adept at by now, is the ability to do the web site scroll. For me, a very easy trackpad two finger roll and down the page I go. If I see or read something interesting, I stop and focus in, otherwise the endless scroll rolls on. Was there something neg on this thread, I must have missed it.
Art Sonneborn and thebland like this.
post #88 of 100 Old 03-04-2020, 07:18 AM

Quote:
The only problem is that that program was about wine, chops, and friends enjoying both which is what seemed to have elicited the negative response in the first place.

But here goes.... as I said " I had a great time !".

Art
It was really a fun evening. Good group, good times.

When is Eclipse day??
Jive Turkey likes this.

post #89 of 100 Old 03-04-2020, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
It was really a fun evening. Good group, good times.

When is Eclipse day??

Saturday 10:00 AM. Nigel has a schedule he sent out yesterday. Looks like the Hyatt is just across the street so that should work out nice.

Art
post #90 of 100 Old 03-04-2020, 03:04 PM
LJG
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 825 Post(s)
Liked: 549
This looks like such a nice get together among friends who happen to be AV enthusiasts and AVS forum friends. Really nice to see and read about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page