AVS Forum banner

An Evening at Thebland's

11K views 99 replies 28 participants last post by  thebland 
#1 ·
I want to thank Jeff and Karen for inviting Angela and me for an evening of food drink and top-notch home theater. I've known Jeff for twenty years and his home theater journey has inspired mine more than anyone in the hobby. He has reached a new level with both his gorgeous home but also his incredible new theater.

On hand along with Jeff and Karen were Ash Sharma, a guy I've wanted to meet for many years and the opportunity just never arose, as well as Itai and Mel Bengal. What a great bunch, conversation, wonderful wine choices, and delicious grilled chops tough to ask for more.

I want to talk about Jeff's new home airy, open, clean, architecturally contemporary is my best description built so well just solid with wide hallways, high ceiling, tons and tons of natural light just so well done. One thing which I've come to respect about Jeff is that he could well be one of those guys who puffs himself up certainly would have every right to do so but instead is a humble, down to earth self-deprecating guy making the time spent there all that much more enjoyable.

I got a tour early on with a glass of wine in my hand and was treated to the whole experience which just really allowed me to see that the theater as incredible as it is is just one nice part of a stunning home.

Once I got to the theater for the first time I couldn't stop looking around in wonder at the design of the room. The look of the layered walls and ceiling and the associated lighting are what stands out as one looks around but in a minute you start to see the build quality fit and finish and overall level that this room has reached in appearance. I have often looked at designs in the home theater room side and would say yea but I'd never want it but this is one that just stands out for its strong elegant look and how it is a place that I doubt will look dated for a very very long time.

After several glasses of wine and chatting, we were treated to Karen's dinner and Jeff's grilled chops in their dining room as Jeff went around refilling glasses. Knowing Jeff and his love of great wines this was a treat for all of us.

After dinner, we sat down to some demos and the Ford vs Ferrari and a very enjoyable choice of films. A few things to mention one coming from Angela who has experienced some pretty incredible bass over the years in many home theaters as well as our own ..she says to me "does he have something in these seats?" I said nope just clean powerful very well implemented bass from the speakers. The surround and Atmos were very very nice with enveloping effects from things like helicopter flyovers to disintegrating racing cars and their associated parts flying around and overhead. Great dialog intelligibility and in the front row which I chose for personal reasons. The verdict ..about as an immersive experience as you can get!

The whole place was just top-notch but totally as one would expect from the likes of Dennis Erskine, Adam Pelz, Steve Kajala and Ken Whitcomb behind it. Since the whole experience was a cut above and Jeff and I have similar gear I have to chalk up this jump to the room design implementation and setup and calibration.

Anyway, I'll post pictures later but I want to once again thank Jeff for inviting an old friend for such a memorable and enjoyable evening.

Art

See less See more
#2 ·
I am jealous!!! Can't wait to see the pictures!

#3 ·
Thanks Art for bringing us a tantalizing review of Jeff's new theater. I followed the build thread and got a sense of the space, but your description helps me envision that contemporary feel that you experienced throughout the house and into the theater.

Of course, when you put together a team like Jeff has, and finally get the result you sought out, it makes it totally worth the effort. There's nothing better than having like minded Friends over that appreciate the hobby, enjoy each others company and can just relax and enjoy "The Show".

Kudos Jeff! It sounds like an amazing showplace.

#8 ·
Just saw this. Way too kind Art. . You guys are the greatest. I’ll post more in a bit. But what an awesome night of geekiness!

#14 · (Edited)
Art!!!

Way too kind of a write up! Really nice. Has it really been 20 years? It's been a friendly 'competition' getting to the best possible in this hobby. You're an excellent 'adversary'!

It was a really nice evening. You guys are just great friends!

We do go back a long, long time. It's great that we are relatively close in proximity. I always enjoy coming to your events - and they are events! Glad to finally reciprocate though I was about 10 years overdue..

But that said, I've had many close friends over for movie nights since getting the theater up and running. They all love it and tell me such. Nice complements...

.... But having guys like Art, Ash and Itai over - I mean true enthusiasts - I was really excited to get all right and make a feast to celebrate.. I'm glad you enjoyed the movie experience! Made my day!

It's funny you mentioned Angela thought I had something in the seats. Very astute. I told you when we designed the theater, I told Dennis to design such as if there were 2 chairs and we'll put the second row wherever it needs to go. Adam told me there's a bump at about 40 or 60 Hz - can't recall - in the front row. So, a bit more OOmph there. I didn't engage 'Movies Action' preset as it augments the low, low end and might've made those seats too hot! But, I'm glad you felt at home in that seat. Recall I PM'd you during the design process to get your front row seating distance (ratio). So, that is your row!

But as good as the movie and clips were, I more enjoyed the chatting, drinks and just catching up. I feel truly blessed to have friends that I rarely see in person but when we get together, it feels like we are close, familiar buddies. It was just a magical night talking home theater, eating and drinking... Glad you like the Fred Flintstone chops and reds! Angela's apps and that almond roca was amazing. Karen can't stop eating it!

Hanging out with Ash that afternoon was nice as we went into town and got a great burger and came back and Ash graciously watched me prep and probe the meat! But we did have a little wine to make the time pass :D! Ash, like Art, has a magnificent theater and discussing all the trials and tribulations with the build, calibrations, equipment headaches... well, it felt like I imagine an AA meeting where you're bearing all your issues and find solace in the fact that a perpetual struggle but when all is humming along in harmony, you really, really appreciate what you have! Ash and I went and got a coffee in the morning and came back to watch more demo clips before he left. HE introduced me to 3:10 to Yuma - Wow!

Itai has a theater in progress - I've seen - It's going to be a solid performer - can't wait to experience it. And his Creme Brulee - perfect! It was nice hanging out with him and Mel.

Anyways, it was great having you over to our new place. Let's do it again!!

Just before movie time...

Attachments

#15 ·
It's funny you mentioned Angela thought I had something in the seats. Very astute. I told you when we designed the theater, I told Dennis to design such as if there were 2 chairs and we'll put the second row wherever it needs to go. Adam told me there's a bump at about 40 or 60 Hz - can't recall - in the front row. So, a bit more OOmph there. I didn't engage 'Movies Action' preset as it augments the low, low end and might've made those seats too hot! But, I'm glad you felt at home in that seat. Recall I PM'd you during the design process to get your front row seating distance (ratio). So, that is your row!
All I know is the opening of Blade Runner 2049 was unbelievable! Nothing I've experienced could touch it. I do hope we can get together sooner than has been the case. I hadn't checked to see if your home is ADA compliant but that elevator certainly will be appreciated,I'll need it by then.;)

Art

#29 ·
Much appreciated! Thanks so much. Great having the AVS crew over!

Reactions: Craig Peer
#35 ·
Both! But those Heritage chops are something else... My favorite and what I serve to only my best of friends and family!! :D Quite a bit of prep and slow cooking.... Thanks!

#37 ·
Great pics - doesn't look like Art has aged at all in 10 years :) You know it's a serious foodie collection when someone pulls out the blowtorch...I assume it was for the crème brulee and not to coax people out of the hotseat:D Food and wine looks very impressive. Theatre looks amazing and the comments confirm it performs as well as it looks...good stuff!

#39 ·
great pics - doesn't look like art has aged at all in 10 years :) you know it's a serious foodie collection when someone pulls out the blowtorch...i assume it was for the crème brulee and not to coax people out of the hotseat:d food and wine looks very impressive. Theatre looks amazing and the comments confirm it performs as well as it looks...good stuff!
lmao!

#42 ·

There were more probes and gadgets while making this sumptuous Berkshire Pork Chop than you would have in a by pass.

Jeff takes his food and wine as seriously as his theater and cars.

What a great Host - I was his house Guest for the night - and what a generous couple.

My daughter turned me on to a digital thermometer with probes and phone app last Christmas. I had some folks over to BBQ and watch "Ford vs. Ferrari" a couple of weeks ago and I did up hamburgers, sausage, and BBQ sauce chicken breast to perfection with it.

An old dog learned a new trick.

#45 ·
Hey Ash

I was just looking at the AWE page after reading this.

Did you do new Cats as well?

Thanks for the kind words. Every time I play Bladerunner 2049, I will think of you and Art. :D

Reactions: Craig Peer
#47 ·
Thanks. Any oxygen sensor issues with the cats?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.