• 2 Post By Art Sonneborn

post #1 of 11 Old Yesterday, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked: 1858
An Evening at Thebland's

I want to thank Jeff and Karen for inviting Angela and me for an evening of food drink and top-notch home theater. I've known Jeff for twenty years and his home theater journey has inspired mine more than anyone in the hobby. He has reached a new level with both his gorgeous home but also his incredible new theater.

On hand along with Jeff and Karen were Ash Sharma, a guy I've wanted to meet for many years and the opportunity just never arose, as well as Itai and Mel Bengal. What a great bunch, conversation, wonderful wine choices, and delicious grilled chops tough to ask for more.

I want to talk about Jeff's new home airy, open, clean, architecturally contemporary is my best description built so well just solid with wide hallways, high ceiling, tons and tons of natural light just so well done. One thing which I've come to respect about Jeff is that he could well be one of those guys who puffs himself up certainly would have every right to do so but instead is a humble, down to earth self-deprecating guy making the time spent there all that much more enjoyable.

I got a tour early on with a glass of wine in my hand and was treated to the whole experience which just really allowed me to see that the theater as incredible as it is is just one nice part of a stunning home.

Once I got to the theater for the first time I couldn't stop looking around in wonder at the design of the room. The look of the layered walls and ceiling and the associated lighting are what stands out as one looks around but in a minute you start to see the build quality fit and finish and overall level that this room has reached in appearance. I have often looked at designs in the home theater room side and would say yea but I'd never want it but this is one that just stands out for its strong elegant look and how it is a place that I doubt will look dated for a very very long time.

After several glasses of wine and chatting, we were treated to Karen's dinner and Jeff's grilled chops in their dining room as Jeff went around refilling glasses. Knowing Jeff and his love of great wines this was a treat for all of us.

After dinner, we sat down to some demos and the Ford vs Ferrari and a very enjoyable choice of films. A few things to mention one coming from Angela who has experienced some pretty incredible bass over the years in many home theaters as well as our own ..she says to me "does he have something in these seats?" I said nope just clean powerful very well implemented bass from the speakers. The surround and Atmos were very very nice with enveloping effects from things like helicopter flyovers to disintegrating racing cars and their associated parts flying around and overhead. Great dialog intelligibility and in the front row which I chose for personal reasons. The verdict ..about as an immersive experience as you can get!

The whole place was just top-notch but totally as one would expect from the likes of Dennis Erskine, Adam Pelz, Steve Kajala and Ken Whitcomb behind it. Since the whole experience was a cut above and Jeff and I have similar gear I have to chalk up this jump to the room design implementation and setup and calibration.

Anyway, I'll post pictures later but I want to once again thank Jeff for inviting an old friend for such a memorable and enjoyable evening.

Art
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Yesterday, 03:20 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1760 Post(s)
Liked: 916
I am jealous!!! Can't wait to see the pictures!

Theater Renovation: 3 Aerial Acoustics 7ts & 6 7LCRs; 13 Triad Rotating Silver/9 Sat; 9 Seaton 21" sealed subwoofers; Trinnov Altitude 32 SSP; 3 Theta Digital Prometheus, Trinnov Amplitude 8 & 8M, and ATI AT526NC amplifiers; Sony VW5000 projector; Lumagen Radiance Pro; Panamorph DCR lens; Stewart Filmscreen Vistascope 14' wide 2.40 SnoMatte 100 screen; Kaleidescape & Pioneer UDP-LX500 4k players; Apple TV 4k; TIVO Bolt OTA.
post #3 of 11 Old Yesterday, 03:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Thanks Art for bringing us a tantalizing review of Jeff's new theater. I followed the build thread and got a sense of the space, but your description helps me envision that contemporary feel that you experienced throughout the house and into the theater.

Of course, when you put together a team like Jeff has, and finally get the result you sought out, it makes it totally worth the effort. There's nothing better than having like minded Friends over that appreciate the hobby, enjoy each others company and can just relax and enjoy "The Show".

Kudos Jeff! It sounds like an amazing showplace.

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old Yesterday, 04:10 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1127 Post(s)
Liked: 794
DIY Guy likes this.
post #5 of 11 Old Yesterday, 04:12 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

DIY Guy and Reddig like this.
post #6 of 11 Old Yesterday, 04:13 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Art Sonneborn and Reddig like this.
post #7 of 11 Old Yesterday, 04:13 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Fantastic all around... I will submit a detailed post soonest
Art Sonneborn likes this.
post #8 of 11 Old Yesterday, 04:28 PM

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 2429 Post(s)
Liked: 1619
Just saw this. Way too kind Art. . You guys are the greatest. I’ll post more in a bit. But what an awesome night of geekiness!

Goodbye to a great audio and video genius and writer... JOHN GANNON. I enjoyed your friendship, wit and a nice long run we took around Indianapolis at CEDIA years back... and for buying my Runco 980 Ultra years back... you saved my ass! Rest in peace.
post #9 of 11 Old Yesterday, 07:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Great theater Jeff and great company
Very envious
Used to live in MI two decades ago . Still have fond memories .
post #10 of 11 Old Yesterday, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

Man did I have a great time !

Art
Ash Sharma and Reddig like this.
post #11 of 11 Old Yesterday, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

Look at those chops I mean, get outa here !

Art
appelz and Ash Sharma like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page