Sony vs Sony vs JVC 2.40 160" screen - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 03-05-2020, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Sony vs Sony vs JVC 2.40 160" screen

I'm in the very early stages of planning my next home theater. I bought a house, tearing it down and starting construction on the new house in August.

Floor plans are all set with the exception of the basement but I'm planning on a 28 x 17 theater. 2 Rows and Bar

Row 1 12'
Row 2 18'

I would like a projector that will give me a drastic improvement over my current Sony 665ES (currently sitting 16.5 feet, project mounted at 16' and a 130"D 16:9 screen)

Because I don't need the new projector now, I would like to make a decision and keep an eye out for a great deal (demo etc.) within the next year. I can obviously use it in my current theater until I move.

Options are:
  1. Sony VPL-VW885ES
  2. JVC DLA-RS4500K
Obviously if I found a deal on a VPL-VW995ES or VPL-VW5000ES I would hop on one of those but they are currently out of my budget.

I plan on using an anamorphic lens.

So...
  1. Would the Sony or JVC be a drastic improvement to my current projector?
  2. Of the two projectors, which one would you choose?
  3. Is there a huge difference between the 885 and the 995?

I have read countless threads and I can't seem to find the answers to my questions.

Thanks for taking the time to read the post and provide any feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-05-2020, 12:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by frontside720 View Post
I'm in the very early stages of planning my next home theater. I bought a house, tearing it down and starting construction on the new house in August.

Floor plans are all set with the exception of the basement but I'm planning on a 28 x 17 theater. 2 Rows and Bar

Row 1 12'

Row 2 18'

I would like a projector that will give me a drastic improvement over my current Sony 665ES (currently sitting 16.5 feet, project mounted at 16' and a 130"D 16:9 screen)

Because I don't need the new projector now, I would like to make a decision and keep an eye out for a great deal (demo etc.) within the next year. I can obviously use it in my current theater until I move.

Options are:

1. Sony VPL-VW885ES
  2. JVC DLA-RS4500K

Obviously if I found a deal on a VPL-VW995ES or VPL-VW5000ES I would hop on one of those but they are currently out of my budget.

So...

I have read countless threads and I can't seem to find the answers to my questions.

Sent you a pm that may be helpful.

And for a 160” screen I’d suggest the 5000es for sure.
post #3 of 7 Old 03-05-2020, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2488 Post(s)
Liked: 1378
Quote:
Originally Posted by frontside720 View Post

Row 1 12'
Row 2 18'

Options are:
  1. Sony VPL-VW885ES
  2. JVC DLA-RS4500K

So...

Hi there.
To answer your questions....

1. Yes, they would both be a drastic improvement, not least because of the laser engine they both use.
2. If they both come in at around the same price, the Z1 would be the one to go for (if you can accommodate it) as it has a great laser dimming system and a fabulous lens. It is however nearly twice the weight of the 760 and also physically a LOT bigger.
3.Not since the latest firmware for the 760 no. In fact the 760 no has *more* functionality than the 870 now and the ONLY things you gain from the 760 with the 870 is the superb lens and 200 more lumens. However whether the difference would be noticeable at your seating distance is debatable (I suspect you would not really see a lot of difference between an 870 and 760 in your case) and as to whether the lens is worth the uptick is a purely personal decision. The 760 often calibrates to higher lumens than the 870 also even though the latter is rated higher.

I speak as a 760 owner and although I would like to have a Z1, I simply cannot accommodate its size or its high fan noise (if used at high laser).

I love my 760 and the pictures it provides.

Bare in mind these shots are taken with my phone camera and I didn't pause the footage, but take a gander.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_7722.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	728.0 KB
ID:	2693940   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_7729.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	714.1 KB
ID:	2693942   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_7940.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	625.0 KB
ID:	2693944  

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up."
Stephen Hawking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 03-05-2020, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Very interesting Archibald1. Thank you for your feedback.

From what I read in the forum the 4500/z1 seemed to come out on top and they would both be great projectors. It's good to know I would see a drastic improvement.

I never took the size into account but with a blank canvas I'm sure I can accommodate it.

Hm...
post #5 of 7 Old 03-05-2020, 02:30 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
I have a 885 on a 150" scope screen and frankly I would luke to have quite a bit more lumens. HDR is unwatchable and dark if run natively. However a lumagen box with tone mapping, and a professional cal by Chris Deering resulted in a pretty great image.

If you are going with something with a lumen output in the 885/995 range Id budget for a lumagen box to convert to sdr.

I also had a 665 on that same 150 inch screen. Liked that projector as well, but hdr was dark. One strategy could be to throw in a fresh bulb, get a lumagen, purchase your bigger screen and enjoy until the next batch of projectors from sony and jvc come along.

I do agree with the others though for a screen that large you would probably really need something with outputs around what the 5000 can do...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
post #6 of 7 Old 03-05-2020, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garth Jacobsen View Post
I have a 885 on a 150" scope screen and frankly I would luke to have quite a bit more lumens. HDR is unwatchable and dark if run natively. However a lumagen box with tone mapping, and a professional cal by Chris Deering resulted in a pretty great image.

If you are going with something with a lumen output in the 885/995 range Id budget for a lumagen box to convert to sdr.

I also had a 665 on that same 150 inch screen. Liked that projector as well, but hdr was dark. One strategy could be to throw in a fresh bulb, get a lumagen, purchase your bigger screen and enjoy until the next batch of projectors from sony and jvc come along.

I do agree with the others though for a screen that large you would probably really need something with outputs around what the 5000 can do...

Crap. That's not good to hear.

Are you using an anamorphic lens?
post #7 of 7 Old 03-05-2020, 03:05 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
No, but I scale to the full panel with the lumagen. You would definately get a bump in light with the anamorphic though. My screen is however smaller than what you are proposing, so I would be concerned that even with the lens the lumens might not be adequate.

Not to be a lumagen shill, but really the dtm made projecting on a bigger screen possible. I would hit up Kris Deering for some advice prior to buying anything, he really helped to fix up my situation. He is on the boards here. I wish I would have contacted him before I bought my gear...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page