Binaural recordings of high-end immersive audio setups? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 03-10-2020, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2108 Post(s)
Liked: 984
Binaural recordings of high-end immersive audio setups?

I watched some binaural recordings of some random things on YouTube and started wondering if it would be possible (or even a good idea) if someone here could do the same with their setup while playing a movie with a really good/immersive Atmos/DTS:X mix? Binaural recordings provide an excellent "sense" of where sounds are coming from (pretty much 3D-like) so it might give an idea of what it's like having a higher channel count setup (or maybe we could use it to compare some other attribute?). It should be noted that the "effect" of a binaural recording is better with headphones. However, I am not quite sure if those mics will work for this kind of purpose. Any thoughts/comments?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-10-2020, 04:50 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked: 1402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post
I watched some binaural recordings of some random things on YouTube and started wondering if it would be possible (or even a good idea) if someone here could do the same with their setup while playing a movie with a really good/immersive Atmos/DTS:X mix? Binaural recordings provide an excellent "sense" of where sounds are coming from (pretty much 3D-like) so it might give an idea of what it's like having a higher channel count setup (or maybe we could use it to compare some other attribute?). It should be noted that the "effect" of a binaural recording is better with headphones. However, I am not quite sure if those mics will work for this kind of purpose. Any thoughts/comments?
Perhaps but the Smyth Realiser does it very well.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #3 of 7 Old 03-10-2020, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2108 Post(s)
Liked: 984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
Perhaps but the Smyth Realiser does it very well.
Didn't know what that was and looked it up. It seems it plays back the actual movie in "virtual" immersive audio over headphones? But that wouldn't give you an idea of how someone's actual setup would sound, unless I am wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 03-10-2020, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Didn't know what that was and looked it up. It seems it plays back the actual movie in "virtual" immersive audio over headphones? But that wouldn't give you an idea of how someone's actual setup would sound, unless I am wrong.
It plays it through a filter that is calculated to recreate the output of your multichannel system (or someone else's) via your HRTF.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #5 of 7 Old 03-13-2020, 02:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
It does do a good job of emulating the acoustical characteristics of the loudspeakers and the room theyre in with a suprising realism even if just frequency response and room reflections. Maybe not the nuances though... like distortions of a tube amplifier, the impulse response of an electrostat, fpga controlled resistor ladder conversion, or an industrial isolation transformer and cryo treated wiring.

But it will externalize even a single channel and have you removing the headphones in disbelief.

There are a couple programs that provide similar performance where loudpseakers were measured with inear microphones. Out of Your Head provides pc users with access to several rooms made with a Realiser A8(so up to 7.1 only), though without personalized hrtf and no builtin headphone equalization. Another program in development is Impulcifer which is software only and requires a pc and a separate microphone purchase but will use your hetf speakers/room, and has measured headphone equalization as well
post #6 of 7 Old 03-13-2020, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdht View Post
It does do a good job of emulating the acoustical characteristics of the loudspeakers and the room theyre in with a suprising realism even if just frequency response and room reflections. Maybe not the nuances though... like distortions of a tube amplifier, the impulse response of an electrostat, fpga controlled resistor ladder conversion, or an industrial isolation transformer and cryo treated wiring.
Mebbe that's why I liked it.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #7 of 7 Old 03-13-2020, 03:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
It should be noted that the "effect" of a binaural recording is better with headphones. However, I am not quite sure if those mics will work for this kind of purpose. Any thoughts/comments?
I would think to do something like this not on headphones but with loudspeakers, you would need an anechoic chamber devoid of reflections to properly render the DSP. And you're also going to have to compensate for crosstalk between the loudspeakers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page