Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 05-16-2020, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Isco IIIL for 3840 or 4k?

There is an isco iiil for sale at a reasonable price, but before I start negotiating I'd like to know how future proof the purchase is going to be, so I'm wondering how good the optics are on the isco IIIL compared to the paladin? I'm posting in this section, because this is where I expect most of the experience is. Maybe I should have posted in the >$3k section

I'd like to move to a 4k or 3840 projector sometime in the future, but not sure when that will be. I was thinking about the nx9 that was recently in the classified section. I'm not married to jvc though. The 2 projectors I've owned have both been dlp. Current is a Marantz vp 15s1.

I'm currently using a panamorph 480 and it has some problems and I've read that it won't do a 4k projector justice. The isco would be a big step up, but I'd like to know if it will be ok with a 4k or 3840. I know many would say that with a 4k the aspect ratio won't be quite correct. Either I'd lose some pixels or the screen would be too wide. Keep in mind that with the panamorph 480 I currently get some pincushion and the image is a bit compressed in the middle and a bit expanded at the sides. This is quite noticeable looking at a test pattern, but it honestly doesn't bother me much when I watch a movie. So I'm wondering if a bit of extra stretch would bother me much.

Thx in advance.

Scott Stephens
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-17-2020, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2046 Post(s)
Liked: 1320
There is a thread at this forum in the past 6 months on this very subject - do a search and you'll find it!

Pray for all of our healthcare providers, food manufacturing and delivery workers, all of whom are doing their best at great risk to help us survive the current Covid-19 virus crisis.
post #3 of 7 Old 05-18-2020, 01:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 771 Post(s)
Liked: 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstephen View Post
There is an isco iiil for sale at a reasonable price, but before I start negotiating I'd like to know how future proof the purchase is going to be, so I'm wondering how good the optics are on the isco IIIL compared to the paladin? I'm posting in this section, because this is where I expect most of the experience is. Maybe I should have posted in the >$3k section

I'd like to move to a 4k or 3840 projector sometime in the future, but not sure when that will be. I was thinking about the nx9 that was recently in the classified section. I'm not married to jvc though. The 2 projectors I've owned have both been dlp. Current is a Marantz vp 15s1.

I'm currently using a panamorph 480 and it has some problems and I've read that it won't do a 4k projector justice. The isco would be a big step up, but I'd like to know if it will be ok with a 4k or 3840. I know many would say that with a 4k the aspect ratio won't be quite correct. Either I'd lose some pixels or the screen would be too wide. Keep in mind that with the panamorph 480 I currently get some pincushion and the image is a bit compressed in the middle and a bit expanded at the sides. This is quite noticeable looking at a test pattern, but it honestly doesn't bother me much when I watch a movie. So I'm wondering if a bit of extra stretch would bother me much.

Thx in advance.
ISCO III optics are more than capable of 4k resolution. I use one on my RS3000 and it can resolve the QBF chart perfectly.

Check eBay for used ISCO IIILs. There were three in the past 48-72 hours. Last one went for a tad over $1000. Most are averaging mid $1000. BTW, use keywords for your searches as some IIIL are also re-branded as Runco.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 05-18-2020, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

you are much better at doing the searches than I am then. I get tons of camera lenses or runco projectors, but not just lenses for projectors. The only lens in there for < $2k I can see is someone who won't even respond to questions so I can't ask if he'd ship to Canada, and the post certainly looks like he'd rather not.

Scott Stephens
post #5 of 7 Old 05-18-2020, 07:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 771 Post(s)
Liked: 756
Quote:
you are much better at doing the searches than I am then. I get tons of camera lenses or runco projectors, but not just lenses for projectors. The only lens in there for < $2k I can see is someone who won't even respond to questions so I can't ask if he'd ship to Canada, and the post certainly looks like he'd rather not.
Sent you a PM with some help.
post #6 of 7 Old 05-19-2020, 08:08 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Quoted: 7949 Post(s)
Liked: 10317
Quote:
I just searched Ebay and found two. Here's one - https://www.ebay.com/itm/ISCO-IIIL-w...EAAOSw0i9eZQMi

Note that the 1.33 lenses will work with 3840 x 2160 projectors, but if you have a 4096 x 2160 projector, you really want a 1.25:1 lens. Isco makes those too.
post #7 of 7 Old 05-19-2020, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks. I had seen that. When converted to CDN it is a bit more than the one I was looking at.

Scott Stephens
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page