Theta Generation VIII defect - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-07-2020, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Theta Generation VIII defect

Hello I just acquired a DAC/Preamplifier (Theta Generatikn VIII, Series 1) on the used market and I am experiencing a problem, don’ t know if it is a defect of the unit or maybe normal operation..? The problem is this: every time I turn up or down the volume on the unit (remote control or front panelit doesn’ t matter) I can hear a very strong ticking sound, which is dependent on the volume level (higher volume level -> the ticking sound is more audible). I can also hear a buzzing sound every time I press other buttons on the front display. Obviously these sounds are audible mostly during quiet passages of the music, and only if I act on the volume level. The strange thing is that if I press “mute” on the unit these sounds become inaudible ...
I renoved the cover and noticed the unit has been serviced in 2015, there is a label on the PSU with the words “ PSU “ and “infra red” written on it, so I assume they worked onnthe PSU , but I have no way to know what kind of service has been done to the unit. So far, looking at the capacitors in the PSU, they seem to be original.
Do you have an idea on what could cause the ticking sound problem...? Is this a common problem with this model...? Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-07-2020, 03:42 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2095 Post(s)
Liked: 1377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andoreaw View Post
Hello I just acquired a DAC/Preamplifier (Theta Generatikn VIII, Series 1) on the used market and I am experiencing a problem, don’ t know if it is a defect of the unit or maybe normal operation..? The problem is this: every time I turn up or down the volume on the unit (remote control or front panelit doesn’ t matter) I can hear a very strong ticking sound, which is dependent on the volume level (higher volume level -> the ticking sound is more audible). I can also hear a buzzing sound every time I press other buttons on the front display. Obviously these sounds are audible mostly during quiet passages of the music, and only if I act on the volume level. The strange thing is that if I press “mute” on the unit these sounds become inaudible ...
I renoved the cover and noticed the unit has been serviced in 2015, there is a label on the PSU with the words “ PSU “ and “infra red” written on it, so I assume they worked onnthe PSU , but I have no way to know what kind of service has been done to the unit. So far, looking at the capacitors in the PSU, they seem to be original.
Do you have an idea on what could cause the ticking sound problem...? Is this a common problem with this model...? Thank you.
For several years I owned 3 Gen VIII Series 3, and the first one was initially a Series 2 then upgraded to Series 3, and I never had issues like that.

Call ATI-Theta technical support and discuss with them. And immediately informed seller of this issue, assuming you just got the unit and immediately you discovered this issue. Keep in mind ATI's manufacturing facility last I heard is still closed due to coronavirus so I don't know whether you'll get a response from tech support
https://www.thetadigital.com/support/
323-278-0001 Ext 112
email [email protected]
Obviously your unit is years out of warranty.

Pray for all of our healthcare providers, food manufacturing and delivery workers, all of whom are doing their best at great risk to help us survive the current Covid-19 virus crisis.
post #3 of 4 Old 06-07-2020, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello Steve, thank you for your help. I will try to contact ATI/Theta and ask about this issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 06-13-2020, 09:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andoreaw View Post
I haven't seen that before. I have 4 of them. One of them, a series 1 is at Theta, being upgraded. The factory is open. It may be a defect in your unit. My units are dead silent when they are on. Have you tried different inputs and cables? I had a problem with a bad interconnect that cause it to dropped out.

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page