The Christie Eclipse Projector Owner's Thread - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 14Likes
  • 3 Post By ARROW-AV
  • 2 Post By Mocs123
  • 5 Post By ARROW-AV
  • 1 Post By ARROW-AV
  • 1 Post By Steve Bruzonsky
  • 1 Post By Archibald1
  • 1 Post By Lygren

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 06-23-2020, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter
Absolute Ultimate AV

Mentioned: 290 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4479 Post(s)
Liked: 7404
CHRISTIE ECLIPSE HIGH CONTRAST 4K HDR RGB LASER PROJECTOR | REVIEW

SUMMARY:

Not only is this without a shadow of a doubt the best video projector in the world, this is quite literally the best video image performance that I have ever seen in my life to date. Period. End of story. Goodbye. The End.

It significantly outperforms not only all other projectors, but also all other video display devices that I can think of with respect to overall video performance, across all formats, from televisions (whether OLED, LED LCD, MicroLED or otherwise) to modular emissive video walls.

In my opinion, this is the new video reference gold standard against which all other video displays should now be compared. It is quite literally the ultimate video display and with it Christie has set a benchmark of near insurmountable Everest proportions.

MEASUREMENTS:

CONTRAST:

ON/OFF contrast and ANSI contrast by no means tell you the whole picture as far as contrast performance of video content is concerned. Why? Because neither ON/OFF nor ANSI are in fact directly applicable with respect to actual video content. ON/OFF contrast and ANSI contrast are the two extremes of the contrast range that relates to video content. The ON/OFF Contrast only gives you the black level on a completely black picture. Whilst this is useful with respect to obtaining and comparing what is best black level performance capability of the particular display device, this does not tell us what is the typical contrast and/or black level performance for the majority of actual video content. Similarly, the ANSI Contrast only gives you the black level at what is typically the extreme upper limit of video content brightness. Hence, typically over 99% of video content falls within these.

Consequently, in order to gain a proper understanding and to be able to properly assess and evaluate what is the comparative contrast and associated black levels performances regarding different display devices we really need to be taking measurements with respect to the contrast performance in-between the ON/OFF and ANSI contrast; namely the full range of ADL (Average Display Level) contrast.

Where ADL is defined as being the average on-screen brightness after gamma correction; and the ON/OFF contrast corresponds to an ADL of 0%, and the ANSI contrast corresponds to an ADL of 50%.

The following contrast measurements were taken at actual usage light output levels:

NATIVE ON/OFF CONTRAST = 21,150,500:1

1% ADL = 83,649:1

2% ADL = 44,545:1

3% ADL = 34,730:1

4% ADL = 19,461:1

5% ADL = 15,452:1

10% ADL = 8,228:1

20% ADL = 3,771:1

ANSI CONTRAST = 1,035:1

To put things in perspective as far as comparative contrast performance is concerned. I've had to make the CONTRAST axis logarithmic in order to be even able to fit the Christie Eclipse's crazy contrast performance onto the chart! And by the way, this is the DYNAMIC Contrast performance of the best performing SONY and JVC home theater projectors versus the NATIVE Contrast performance of the Christie Eclipse:

LUMINANCE:

● PEAK LIGHT OUTPUT = 30,000 LUMENS

● 5.365m / 17’ 7” WIDE 0.9 - 1.0 GAIN SCREEN , WITH CIRCA 16,500 LUMENS LIGHT OUTPUT:

- WHITE LEVEL = 440 NITS

- BLACK LEVEL = 0.00002 NITS

GAMUT COVERAGE:

● %AGE OF BT.2020 COLOR GAMUT = 92.2%

- Both the RED and BLUE are beyond BT.2020; with the GREEN falling slightly short:

INPUT LAG:

● LATENCY = 16 ms

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PHOTOGRAPHS / SCREENSHOTS:
All of the photos have been taken using a professional photography calibrated flagship Nikon camera, in HDR, as unprocessed and unedited raw images, accurately capturing the actual projected image black level, with the white balance precisely matched to the projection screen. Hence, with respect to these aspects, in addition to the image sharpness and detail delineation, the photos are accurately representative of what the projected images look like in person.

However, despite using HDR photography, the magnitude of the luminance dynamic range of this projector is so incredibly large that it was impossible to capture the full extent of this; and also similarly the chroma (color) gamut coverage of the projector is very considerably wider, deeper, and greater than the capabilities of the camera. Hence, with respect to these aspects the photos are by no means even close to what the projector looks like in person in these regards; where the only way to see what are their actual respective performances is to view the projector in person.

(N.B. in order to view the images with the best accuracy this is best done via a calibrated video display)

*** If viewing this using your a mobile device you can simply zoom in with respect to the photos to see them in their full high resolution; or alternatively to view and/or grab the full size photos simply right click on whichever image and select VIEW IMAGE from the menu window. You can also then left click to zoom in and view the image in 1:1 ratio ***
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ANALYSIS & GENERAL PERFORMANCE SCORES (OUT OF 100):

● MASCIOLA HDR10 SINGLE PIXEL 4K RESOLUTION TEST PATTERN PERFORMANCE : 100

N.B. THE COUPLE OF SMALL SMEARS ARE DUE TO THIS BEING A PRE-PRODUCTION PROTOTYPE AND WILL NOT BE PRESENT WITH THE PRODUCTION UNITS

● QUICK BROWN FOX TEST PATTERN PERFORMANCE: 100

● NATIVE 4K SINGLE PIXEL GEOMETRY TEST PATTERN PERFORMANCE: 100

● BLACK PLUGE TEST PATTERN BLACK LEVEL PERFORMANCE: 100

● WHITE & BLACK GRID TEST PATTERN PERFORMANCE: 100

● INTERSTELLAR SDR HD-UPSCALED-TO-4K-UHD (00:53:30) PERFORMANCE: 100

● JOURNEY TO SPACE HDR 4K (00:35:50) PERFORMANCE: 100

● SHARPNESS & MTF: 100

You can quite literally see the native 4K pixel structure in absolute perfect razor sharpness throughout the entire image for all 8,847,360 pixels. The projected image quite literally cannot be any sharper!

● FOCUS UNIFORMITY: 100

● CHROMATIC ABERRATION: 100

● IMAGE UNIFORMITY: 100

● RGB PIXEL/PANEL ALIGNMENT: 98

● POSTERIZATION (BANDING): 100

● BLOOMING: 100

● STREAKING: 100

● VIDEO NOISE: 100

● MOTION PERFORMANCE: 100

● GAMING PERFORMANCE: 100

TOTAL SCORE = 100

CONCLUSION:

The Christie Eclipse uses dual DMDs in a way that achieves pixel level luminance control, as per an OLED TV but with projection. Think of it being akin to FALD but with a projector instead of a TV, wherein whilst the primary DMDs which make up the video image are native 4K resolution, the secondary DMDs which govern the pixel level luminance control are HD1080p resolution meaning that there is the equivalent of 2,073,600 'Dimming Zones'.

The result is literally akin to OLED level contrast performance, but with super-high brightness, without OLED's brightness limitations, and none of the uniformity issues that afflict OLED, plus 12-bit color depth and approaching the full BT.2020 color gamut. Whilst also supporting up to 4K120 with 2D, Active 3D with 4K60 into each eye at high brightness with zero crosstalk (the best 3D performance), and 4K60 fullscreen two player gaming (Christie View), the Eclipse actually significantly outperforms OLED, and in fact literally everything else as well, in more ways than one.

The same high contrast technology features within Christie's infamous Dolby Cinema projector that it licenses to Dolby for exclusive use in commercial cinemas. However, this is by no means simply a rebadged Dolby Cinema projector. The Eclipse is a next generation significant evolution forwards in front of that projector, with entirely new electronics, and in fact significantly outperforms the Dolby Cinema projector for numerous reasons. Meaning you won't experience anything even close to the video performance of the Eclipse by visiting a Dolby Cinema.

If or when you are fortunate to experience a demo of the Christie Eclipse sometime, trust me when I say that you will never have experienced anything like it. It's literally the best video image that I have ever seen in my life, and it is my business to literally see (and hear) everything that's the top of the top of the pyramid with respect to A/V. The resultant video image is both beautiful and mesmerizing. It is truly an unrivalled sight to behold.

MISCELLANEOUS INFORMATION:

● Initially THREE versions will be available, being: 9,000 lumens; 17,500 lumens; and 26,000 lumens.

● Laser modules will be contained within a separate rack with dimensions W78cm x D80cm x H69cm.

● The laser module rack is liquid cooled, completely silent operation, and comes with 8m or 10m length fibre that connects to the projector head, which can be extended up to 50m long.

● There is an external chiller; this is not silent and can be situated up to 30m away.

● The projector head is big and noisy, so needs to be installed into a projection booth / room. It starts at about 62 dBA but rises from there at higher brightness and ambient temperature environments

● There is only a very small few percentage light loss post-calibration, because out-of-the-box the projector is already very close to D65 white point.

● Speckle is a non-issue. With unity gain screen there is absolutely no perceivable speckle whatsoever; hence, there is absolutely no need to any anti-speckle systems / solutions. The manifestation of speckle has been minimized as a consequence of utilizing multiple different wavelengths of laser diodes for each of the red, green, and blue, in conjunction with avoiding usage of a high gain projection screen material.

● The world-record-breaking projected contrast and black levels performance has been achieved via use of the same 6 x DLP Dual Configuration DMDs patented technology that features within the Dolby Cinema projectors; which produces pixel level luminance control akin to OLED TVs. Where, with respect to this projector, the secondary DMDs which provide the pixel level luminance control number 2,073,600 pixels / 'dimming zones' per each.

● Color depth: 12-bit

● Supports 4K60 with low latency.

● OPTIONAL UPGRADES (with associated one-off additional costs):

- CHRISTIE MIRAGE: adds both High Frame Rate (HFR) 4K120 support and either active or passive (your choice) 3D functionality, with 4K60 into each eye if active; with very high brightness and essentially zero cross-talk.

- CHRISTIE VIEW GAMING: ● OPTIONAL UPGRADES (with associated one-off additional costs):

- CHRISTIE MIRAGE: adds both High Frame Rate (HFR) 4K120 support and either active or passive (your choice) 3D functionality, with 4K60 into each eye if active; with very high brightness and essentially zero cross-talk.

- CHRISTIE VIEW GAMING: In addition to supporting single player gaming at 4K120 (wherein it is worth noting that it has been confirmed that both the upcoming Sony Playstation 5 and Microsoft Xbox Series X gaming consoles will support 4K120 gaming), via use of active glasses you can have two players see the whole screen at 4K60, but a completely different screen to everyone else, in other words it will be akin to the two players each having their own full size Christie Eclipse gaming screen at 4K60.

● Multiple lens options covering a wide array of throw distances versus screen sizes

● 3-Year Warranty. With Extended Warranty options available.

● It is Class 1 Risk Group 3.

● Shipping 1st Quarter 2021

Mocs123, Jive Turkey and DunMunro like this.

Last edited by ARROW-AV; 06-27-2020 at 01:10 PM.
post #3 of 23 Old 06-23-2020, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 Old 06-24-2020, 08:02 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked: 1313
Thumbs up

Hi Nigel,

Well maybe you won't mind me posting on this Dedicated Thread even though I will not be in the market for one.

Just stopping by to say Congratulations on such an outstanding product. !!!

If this Thread is actually for Owners or Prospective Owners I can easily delete this Post.

Best wishes,
Terry Honaker
USA
post #13 of 23 Old 06-24-2020, 08:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked: 408
I am not in the market as I imagine the MSRP is probably ten times what I spent on my entire theater, but I admit, I just drool over those specs. The Eclipse truely is the best in the world.

How did they get that sort of contrast out of DLP?

Since Christie doesn't play in the realm of consumer projectors (at least obtainable by the "average joe"), I assume we won't see much trickle down from this technology.

Congratulations on the projector - I'm green with envy!!!
tigerhonaker and ARROW-AV like this.

7.4.4 Theater Room: JVC-RS500, Silver Ticket AT 2.35:1 142”, Onkyo RZ830, Anthem PVA-7, Panasonic UB420, Apple TV 4K, JBL Studio 530’s, Dual Driver VBSS

3.1 Living Room: Samsung 64” F8500 Plasma, Anthem MRX 300, Dynaudio Audience 52’s, Dynaudio Audience 122C, NHT SubOne, Roku Express (2019)
post #14 of 23 Old 06-24-2020, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter
Absolute Ultimate AV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocs123 View Post
I am not in the market as I imagine the MSRP is probably ten times what I spent on my entire theater, but I admit, I just drool over those specs. The Eclipse truely is the best in the world.

Since Christie doesn't play in the realm of consumer projectors (at least obtainable by the "average joe"), I assume we won't see much trickle down from this technology.

The Christie Eclipse uses dual DMDs in a way that achieves pixel level luminance control, as per an OLED TV but with projection. Think of it being akin to FALD but with a projector instead of a TV, wherein whilst the primary DMDs which make up the video image are native 4K resolution, the secondary DMDs which govern the pixel level luminance control are HD1080p resolution meaning that there is the equivalent of 2,073,600 'Dimming Zones'.

The result is literally akin to OLED level contrast performance, but with super-high brightness, without OLED's brightness limitations, and none of the uniformity issues that afflict OLED, plus 12-bit color depth and approaching the full BT.2020 color gamut. Whilst also supporting up to 4K120 with 2D, Active 3D with 4K60 into each eye at high brightness with zero crosstalk (the best 3D performance), and 4K60 fullscreen two player gaming (Christie View), the Eclipse actually significantly outperforms OLED, and in fact literally everything else as well, in more ways than one.

The same high contrast technology features within Christie's infamous Dolby Cinema projector that it licenses to Dolby for exclusive use in commercial cinemas. However, this is by no means simply a rebadged Dolby Cinema projector. The Eclipse is a next generation evolution forwards in front of that projector, with entirely new electronics, and in fact significantly outperforms the Dolby Cinema projector for numerous reasons. Meaning you won't experience anything even close to the video performance of the Eclipse by visiting a Dolby Cinema.

You should experience a demo of this monster sometime. Trust me when I say that you will never have experienced anything like it. It's literally the best video image that I have ever seen in my life, and it is my business to literally see (and hear) everything that's the top of the top of the pyramid with respect to A/V.

I don't have mine just yet, as I am in process of relocating from the UK to the USA, but I will most certainly be installing one into my new home theater in the USA and ASAP. The first production units for Home Cinemas will be shipping circa January 2021. So won't be long now!

Mocs123, 12GAGE, phara and 2 others like this.

Last edited by ARROW-AV; 06-24-2020 at 04:00 PM.
post #15 of 23 Old 06-24-2020, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter
Absolute Ultimate AV

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerhonaker View Post
Hi Nigel,

Well maybe you won't mind me posting on this Dedicated Thread even though I will not be in the market for one.

Just stopping by to say Congratulations on such an outstanding product. !!!

If this Thread is actually for Owners or Prospective Owners I can easily delete this Post.

Best wishes,
Terry Honaker
USA
Terry, your posts are always most welcome sir!

This is a truly unique product and as such it will garner a lot of interest from many A/V enthusiasts that might not be in the market for one. As and when the opportunity arises it is my intention to host some 'AV parties' wherein fellow AV Enthusiasts from these forums will have the opportunity to come and experience the incredible performance of this monster, and then feedback and discuss the product thereafter on here accordingly. This will be my way of enabling like-minded AV enthusiasts to have the opportunity to experience something which they might otherwise not have access to experiencing. So consider yourself to have an open invitation to come and attend one of these 'AV parties' as and when.

I am also going to be hosting a second demo event with respect to the Christie Eclipse at Christie Digital in Cypress California sometime between now and the end of the year. This will be another opportunity for folks who are interested to come and experience the performance of this thing. We are currently aiming for sometime in September. I will confirm dates as and when

tigerhonaker likes this.
post #16 of 23 Old 06-24-2020, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2095 Post(s)
Liked: 1377
The closest I will EVER come to owning an Eclipse, due to the expense, is posting a THANK YOU to Nigel in this very thread!

But someday, when Covid-19 is over, and Nigel's home theater in Florida is up and running, it will be time for a Florida visit!

Nigel, for your new home theater name, if you can't use "Eclipse" due to copyright issues, how about "The Eclipso Theatre"? (Eclipso is a DC Comics villain who comes out at night - so appropriate given the superb unimaginable black level of the Eclipse projector!)
ARROW-AV likes this.

Pray for all of our healthcare providers, food manufacturing and delivery workers, all of whom are doing their best at great risk to help us survive the current Covid-19 virus crisis.
post #17 of 23 Old 06-24-2020, 09:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2858 Post(s)
Liked: 1926
Hi there Nigel.

What an absolute beast. Nice one.

Relocating eh? That puts paid to any demo for me unfortunately.

Cheers and stay safe.
ARROW-AV likes this.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up." Stephen Hawking.
"Be water my friend." Bruce Lee.
post #18 of 23 Old 06-24-2020, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 525
I´d REALLY love to have a look at this "baby" at some point @ARROW-AV - seems to really hold the term ultimate display for quite some time moving forward! Hopefully covid is gone and done with come next July; doing a road trip to AV heaven from my Miami / Jupiter stronghold would be on my bucket list if at all possible...
ARROW-AV likes this.

Proudly Representing DreamScreen - AT screens & more!
Founder AVforum.no // Norway´s leading AV community since 2002
post #19 of 23 Old 06-24-2020, 03:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 723 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocs123 View Post

Well it is trickling down from the original Dolby Cinema Projection system. With its dual projection head and large laser racks it was said to cost over 1 million, so. It is only a trickle, though considering the time it took to see this price level reduction, rather slow.

@ARROW-AV , US and EU are both closed for eachother's citizens till the end of the year, for now.

Florida heay, what retirement community are you moving into? Electric golf cart instead of those hyper cars you keep refering to;-).

Last edited by donaldk; 06-24-2020 at 03:15 PM.
post #20 of 23 Old 06-24-2020, 06:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked: 1245
Totally super-duper extra mega awesome Arrow! That thing looks too cool!

JTR/JBL/JVC/Denon/Oppo/Monolith/Silver Ticket/Furman/Seatcraft/Acoustimac/AudioQuest/Harrison Labs/Roku
post #21 of 23 Old 06-24-2020, 10:24 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2619 Post(s)
Liked: 986
First, WOW, what earth-shaking performance.

Second, how the heck did you measure such a high contrast (seems like you'd need to count individual photons), and what is the tolerance on the measurement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARROW-AV View Post
[U][B][SIZE="6"]
The following contrast measurements were taken at actual usage light output levels:

NATIVE ON/OFF CONTRAST = 21,150,500:1

Noah
post #22 of 23 Old 06-25-2020, 12:42 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Impressive indeed.

If remember correctly it is available in 3 base brightness levels. Is there a separate price for each level ?

An indication of price would be nice.
post #23 of 23 Old Today, 09:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I too am interested in an indication of price please ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Tags
christie , eclipse , laser , projector , rgb

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page