Lyngdorf MP-60 vs JBL Synthesis SDP-75 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 06-28-2020, 05:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Lyngdorf MP-60 vs JBL Synthesis SDP-75

Looking for any advice/thoughts and can't find a thread or much content comparing these.

I'm upgrading my Classe SSP-800 after 8 years and this has prompted a bigger upgrade for the system in my family room. I have B&W 803d and HTM2 up front but adding B&W 8.5 rear surround, four B&W 7.5 in ceiling atmos speakers and two JL-Audio in-wall subs. I am trying to pick the right processor. Amplifiers are all Classe (CAM 400x3, CA5200 and CA2200)

I've read and heard great things about the Lyngdorf and had a chance to listen to it at a shop nearby but the dealer I am working with for this project does not sell Lyngdorf formally (though he says he can get it FWIW). They initially offered me the JBL Synthesis SDP-65 for the same price as the Lyngdorf MP-60. Now in the context of COVID it sounds like the SDP-65 is not readily available and the dealer has been offered a JBL Synthesis SDP-75 for the same price as a substitute from JBL. I do not have much experience with JBL Synthesis and would love to get anyone's thoughts on this proposition or alternate recommendations.

Thanks in advance!
Srini
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-28-2020, 05:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 113 Post(s)
Quoted: 3664 Post(s)
Liked: 4475
Quote:
Originally Posted by skprasad View Post
Looking for any advice/thoughts and can't find a thread or much content comparing these.

I'm upgrading my Classe SSP-800 after 8 years and this has prompted a bigger upgrade for the system in my family room. I have B&W 803d and HTM2 up front but adding B&W 8.5 rear surround, four B&W 7.5 in ceiling atmos speakers and two JL-Audio in-wall subs. I am trying to pick the right processor. Amplifiers are all Classe (CAM 400x3, CA5200 and CA2200)

I've read and heard great things about the Lyngdorf and had a chance to listen to it at a shop nearby but the dealer I am working with for this project does not sell Lyngdorf formally (though he says he can get it FWIW). They initially offered me the JBL Synthesis SDP-65 for the same price as the Lyngdorf MP-60. Now in the context of COVID it sounds like the SDP-65 is not readily available and the dealer has been offered a JBL Synthesis SDP-75 for the same price as a substitute from JBL. I do not have much experience with JBL Synthesis and would love to get anyone's thoughts on this proposition or alternate recommendations.

Thanks in advance!
Srini
The Synthesis SDP-75 is essentially a rebadged Trinnov. Read up on the Trinnov Altitude and visit the Trinnov owners thread for more information. Although I own neither, Trinnov is considered by most to be the pinnacle of home audio, multi-channel processors. Lyngdorf is easier for the average enthusiast to calibrate while Trinnov recommends a professional calibrator. If your tech savvy and have the reading and calibration time to invest, you could probably do the Trinnov yourself.
post #3 of 10 Old 06-28-2020, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon_Labe View Post
The Synthesis SDP-75 is essentially a rebadged Trinnov. Read up on the Trinnov Altitude and visit the Trinnov owners thread for more information. Although I own neither, Trinnov is considered by most to be the pinnacle of home audio, multi-channel processors. Lyngdorf is easier for the average enthusiast to calibrate while Trinnov recommends a professional calibrator. If your tech savvy and have the reading and calibration time to invest, you could probably do the Trinnov yourself.
Thank you! Evidently JBL is sending someone to calibrate the system in our room. I would consider myself tech savvy and at one time was VERY into AV tech (before I could afford anything meaningful) and the Classe was the fulfillment of years of enthusiasm. Now I've fallen out of it with kids/work/etc and I'm not sure how realistic it is to think I will be regularly tinkering with calibration. If calibration up front by JBL is largely sufficient this seems like a more sensible option.

They are really such different price points and I appear to be getting a great deal on the SDP-75 because of COVID-related logistical challenges but hate to make a decision based on "the deal" if it doesn't make sense.

Thanks for your thoughts and time.
cheers,
srini
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 06-28-2020, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The JBL SDP-75 is based on the Trinnov Altitude32. However, there are two things to keep in mind:

1. It doesn't include Trinnov's patented 3D remapping technology.

2. Officially, it must be sold as a part of a Synthesis system (which is not the case being discussed here).

Cheers,
Jonathan Patya.
post #5 of 10 Old 06-28-2020, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2636 Post(s)
Liked: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon_Labe View Post
Although I own neither, Trinnov is considered by most to be the pinnacle of home audio, multi-channel processors.

Certainly true if max channel count and endless setup flexibility (a double-edged sword) is concerned, though I've read of several instances where Lyngdorf was compared and found equal in sound quality.

Noah
post #6 of 10 Old 06-28-2020, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post
Certainly true if max channel count and endless setup flexibility (a double-edged sword) is concerned, though I've read of several instances where Lyngdorf was compared and found equal in sound quality.
thank you both! I am primarily interested in the sound quality for movies -- both the acoustics and accurate spatial resolution. I don't do much two-channel listening any more. I suspect that I would "set it and forget it" and not endlessly tweak it. I don't have any other JBL components as I said so I am pretty conflicted.

Given the option to get either for the same price (cost of the Lyngdorf), which would you get -- the Lyngdorf MP-60 or the JBL Synthesis SDP-75? It seems there is no right answer but would love to find out what others would get in my predicament.

thank you!
srini
post #7 of 10 Old 06-28-2020, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 855 Post(s)
Liked: 1007
Quote:
thank you both! I am primarily interested in the sound quality for movies -- both the acoustics and accurate spatial resolution. I don't do much two-channel listening any more. I suspect that I would "set it and forget it" and not endlessly tweak it. I don't have any other JBL components as I said so I am pretty conflicted.

Given the option to get either for the same price (cost of the Lyngdorf), which would you get -- the Lyngdorf MP-60 or the JBL Synthesis SDP-75? It seems there is no right answer but would love to find out what others would get in my predicament.

thank you!
srini
If you don't have any JBL components in your system, then there is no benefit at all to the JBL version of the Trinnov Altitude. And with current firmware, there are 2 key benefits to the Trinnov Altitude, one of which I consider essential.

The calibration tools available in the Trinnov Altitude far surpass the Lyngdorf, and if properly calibrated by a knowledgeable professional with the right equipment, the final result will be better.

Adam Pelz ,Acoustic Mafia - Hear No Evil
Level III Trinnov Altitude Calibrator, JBL Master ARCOS Calibrator, CEDIA Designer, Home Acoustics Alliance Instructor LIII, THX HT1+ HT2+ Video
Mercenary Calibrator for Manufacturers, Integrators and System Owners
post #8 of 10 Old 06-28-2020, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by appelz View Post
If you don't have any JBL components in your system, then there is no benefit at all to the JBL version of the Trinnov Altitude. And with current firmware, there are 2 key benefits to the Trinnov Altitude, one of which I consider essential.

The calibration tools available in the Trinnov Altitude far surpass the Lyngdorf, and if properly calibrated by a knowledgeable professional with the right equipment, the final result will be better.
Thanks Adam! That's very useful to know, especially given your credentials and experience with JBL Synthesis and Trinnov. I'm not sure that the shop i'm buying from sells Trinnov but I can ask. The installation is supposed to include professional calibration if I go with the JBL. In your experience, is that a one-time thing assuming i'm not adding speakers, etc?

thanks
s
post #9 of 10 Old 06-28-2020, 02:10 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 855 Post(s)
Liked: 1007
Quote:
Thanks Adam! That's very useful to know, especially given your credentials and experience with JBL Synthesis and Trinnov. I'm not sure that the shop i'm buying from sells Trinnov but I can ask. The installation is supposed to include professional calibration if I go with the JBL. In your experience, is that a one-time thing assuming i'm not adding speakers, etc?

thanks
s
As you stated, the calibration process is a one-time thing, unless you move/add/change speakers or seating position. The end-user can make lots of changes in the software at that point if they want, or the calibrator can also make changes remotely. But once you have a good set of initial measurements, few reasons for more. During one of my full 2 day calibrations, the 3D microphone gets about 90 minutes of time outside the case. If an end-user is planning on a professional calibration, I recommend that they not even purchase the microphone. It just gathers dust, and you can buy a lot of content with that money!

Adam Pelz ,Acoustic Mafia - Hear No Evil
Level III Trinnov Altitude Calibrator, JBL Master ARCOS Calibrator, CEDIA Designer, Home Acoustics Alliance Instructor LIII, THX HT1+ HT2+ Video
Mercenary Calibrator for Manufacturers, Integrators and System Owners
post #10 of 10 Old 06-28-2020, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Shouldn't the new HDMI board of the Trinnov with Panny chips be more reliable too? Isn't the Lyngdorf MDS board based?

"I have spoken."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page