For all D-Box enthusiasts ! - Page 219 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 465Likes

post #6541 of 8338 Old 09-08-2014, 11:24 AM

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2273 Post(s)
Liked: 1292
Send a message via Skype™ to CINERAMAX
Quote:
Originally Posted by turls View Post
So, I haven't seen anybody commit that is going to CEDIA to get answers on legit questions posted recently in this thread. Not feeling good about a blind buy considering the uncertainty right now...like I said I guess I could fall back on some type of switching between controllers but really that shouldn't be a corner new adopters are in as long as they've been working on this...
Give me a numbered list.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6542 of 8338 Old 09-08-2014, 11:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 718
R.I.P.D and Godfather added to working on list.

Capt America 2 added with 9/17 date

Godzilla added with 9/19 date.

Glad to see them continue to add older releases. Still looking for Zombieland to be added one day.
post #6543 of 8338 Old 09-08-2014, 12:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post
Give me a numbered list.
For me, I think I can sum it all up in one question: What functionality and connectivity are they replacing and what are they enhancing? If there are any connectivity options or functionality options changed instead of added to, we need to have full disclosure of that.

For example, will it still look at disc signatures to pick codes, or will it entirely depend on the cloud and analog output from the source?

Another example, if there is no harddrive, where are signatures stored?

If I get everything I have in my current controller as a failsafe, I'm willing to invest in the new direction, if not, I have to have more details.

Matt

Last edited by turls; 09-08-2014 at 12:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6544 of 8338 Old 09-09-2014, 05:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Give me a numbered list.

Questions about the new controller
  1. How does the new controller operate compared to the legacy controllers? Looking for full details/specs/connections here, not just “like Shazam, etc.”
    • Connectivity (Full list, options)
    • Where are the MFX codes stored and how are they accessed?
    • How long until the typical sync occurs?
    • Are there bandwidth minimum requirements needed from our ISPs? (Doubtful, but does not hurt to ask)
  2. How does the new controller sync with extended/director’s cuts? Will these cuts still get MFX coded when released?
  3. Does the new controller come with a 1 year subscription?
  4. How will our current subscriptions be handled? For example, someone just re-subscribed a month before they purchase the new controller. Can they move that to the new controller?
  5. If someone does not keep their subscription active, does it disable their ability to watch any movies? With current controllers, we can still enjoy our entire catalogue, just not update it.
  6. How many seats/zones will the new controller operate, I assume 4 as before.
  7. What other control options where there be outside of the smart device apps? RS-232, IP control?
  8. Any plans to integrate the KAI gaming functionality so we don’t have to manually move cables from one device to another?

Questions for legacy controllers
  1. Will these still be supported with re-syncs and if so, for how long?
  2. Has Dolby Atmos (Home version) been tested for home use with legacy controllers yet?
turls and CINERAMAX like this.
post #6545 of 8338 Old 09-09-2014, 11:09 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
thxman - I submitted all your questions and tried to have informations concerning the new controller directly from my contact at D-Box... But they won't reveal any further details until CEDIA. We are also very anxious to get the details and specs, as you can imagine...

I guess we will have to be patient, it's coming soon! =)
thxman likes this.
post #6546 of 8338 Old 09-09-2014, 03:48 PM

What is the relation between a pc store and selling d-box frank, gaming rigs?
post #6547 of 8338 Old 09-09-2014, 04:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Anybody DL new codes since yesterday? I'd like to know if they fixed the Sabotage codes yet.

Hail to the King, baby!
post #6548 of 8338 Old 09-09-2014, 08:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 205
I'll try to get most of these addressed Thursday when there if no one gets it before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thxman View Post
  1. How does the new controller operate compared to the legacy controllers? Looking for full details/specs/connections here, not just “like Shazam, etc.”
    • Connectivity (Full list, options)
    • Where are the MFX codes stored and how are they accessed?
    • How long until the typical sync occurs?
    • Are there bandwidth minimum requirements needed from our ISPs? (Doubtful, but does not hurt to ask)
  2. How does the new controller sync with extended/director’s cuts? Will these cuts still get MFX coded when released?
  4. How will our current subscriptions be handled? For example, someone just re-subscribed a month before they purchase the new controller. Can they move that to the new controller?
  5. If someone does not keep their subscription active, does it disable their ability to watch any movies? With current controllers, we can still enjoy our entire catalogue, just not update it.
  7. What other control options where there be outside of the smart device apps? RS-232, IP control?
  8. Any plans to integrate the KAI gaming functionality so we don’t have to manually move cables from one device to another?

2. Has Dolby Atmos (Home version) been tested for home use with legacy controllers yet?
turls, thxman and Frank_VisionHD like this.
post #6549 of 8338 Old 09-10-2014, 05:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvais View Post
Anybody DL new codes since yesterday? I'd like to know if they fixed the Sabotage codes yet.
I did, no updates.
post #6550 of 8338 Old 09-10-2014, 05:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7channelfreak View Post
I'll try to get most of these addressed Thursday when there if no one gets it before.
Sounds like they will get hit with these questions a few times. Maybe this helps drive home what we are looking for.
post #6551 of 8338 Old 09-10-2014, 06:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
  1. How will our current subscriptions be handled? For example, someone just re-subscribed a month before they purchase the new controller. Can they move that to the new controller?
I thought you could have multiple controllers in a household with one subscription? That would be key to be able to fall back on the original "old" controller if necessary. Can we get clarification on that too?

Matt
post #6552 of 8338 Old 09-10-2014, 07:19 AM

Quote:
I thought you could have multiple controllers in a household with one subscription? That would be key to be able to fall back on the original "old" controller if necessary. Can we get clarification on that too?
sorry to appear as a diva, but I need a complete numbered list im not bringing three pieces of paper as i am wearing 7 hats at this show and the documentation with atmos alone is copious.

Hope you understand.

but as far as i know the answer to multiple in the house is no. curious to see.
Frank_VisionHD likes this.
post #6553 of 8338 Old 09-10-2014, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

To all going to CEDIA, have fun and thank you for asking the questions you do. I WISH I was there too!
post #6554 of 8338 Old 09-10-2014, 08:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
sorry to appear as a diva, but I need a complete numbered list im not bringing three pieces of paper as i am wearing 7 hats at this show and the documentation with atmos alone is copious.
I gave my one question--to make things simple. This additional question on subscriptions applying to more than one controller was a clarification on one of thxman's questions. And in the scheme of things a minor concern.

Again: What functionality and connectivity are they replacing and what are they enhancing?

These list things never work out for me, that's why I tried to summarize in one question. If they answer all thxman's questions, that's great.

Little different this time as money's on the line and a quick decision will be necessary.

I think I remember hearing you can have multiple controllers, otherwise how would somebody with more than 4 seating positions be able to have a D-BOX setup without multiple subscriptions? That would be an onerous requirement.

<lightbulb> And of course if they allowed this it could potentially allow you to use that new controller to add new seating positions beyond four...which would be much less attractive if you had to add another subscription.

Matt

Last edited by turls; 09-10-2014 at 09:11 AM.
post #6555 of 8338 Old 09-10-2014, 10:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
...otherwise how would somebody with more than 4 seating positions be able to have a D-BOX setup without multiple subscriptions?
Use the KINEHUB. It is like a home network switch/hub for D-Box, expands up to 12 zones. You only lose one, so with this you would have 3+12=15.

http://library.d-tools.com/Product/D...9-927d5eac1a99

Manual for hook up:

https://files.d-tools.com/Visualizat...UB_Manual1.pdf
turls likes this.

Last edited by thxman; 09-10-2014 at 10:12 AM.
post #6556 of 8338 Old 09-10-2014, 12:38 PM

Quote:
What is the relation between a pc store and selling d-box frank, gaming rigs?
We're actually not a ''PC Store'', we specialize mostly in projectors (Home Cinema and Business), but also, lately, D-Box.

The D-Box H.Q. is situated 15 minutes from our location in Longueuil, which gives us great business opportunities, and we have a good partnership with them. (visiting their facility is especially awesome!!!)

Most of all, like you guys, we are fans of their products and enjoy having fun with our in-store demo as often as we can. (our custom gaming rig is currently in development... Can't wait! ;P)
post #6557 of 8338 Old 09-10-2014, 02:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_VisionHD View Post
We're actually not a ''PC Store'', we specialize mostly in projectors (Home Cinema and Business), but also, lately, D-Box.

The D-Box H.Q. is situated 15 minutes from our location in Longueuil, which gives us great business opportunities, and we have a good partnership with them. (visiting their facility is especially awesome!!!)

Most of all, like you guys, we are fans of their products and enjoy having fun with our in-store demo as often as we can. (our custom gaming rig is currently in development... Can't wait! ;P)
Are you going to use the 6" actuators as well?
post #6558 of 8338 Old 09-10-2014, 02:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvais View Post
Checked again just now. Only 13 SINS was there.
post #6559 of 8338 Old 09-11-2014, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Are you going to use the 6" actuators as well?
Our basic custom rigs will adapt to the D-Box SRP models... It is not actually built ON actuators (as most current racing simulators are), but will be more of a ''add-on'', for a more casual gaming experience, that you can detach/attach easily on your D-Box seat at leisure. In our case, it will work with our SRP-130 in-store demo.

As soon as we have the prototype ready, we'll show you how it works via pictures and video. It's a pretty cool concept, and very user friendly!
It won't replace an actual racing rig (like the GP PRO 200), but it will be a nice option for a fraction of the price...
turls likes this.
post #6560 of 8338 Old 09-11-2014, 03:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I saw the new controller today. It's not cloud based but they are working on one that will be. It's to create a lower cost of entry. All licenses will transfer if you buy the new controller. the license is with the end user. It will be controlled through apps for iPads and tablets. It's still windows driven (but hoping to change to Linux) and will likely have a retail around 2500. It has USB outs to the chairs that will require that adapter they have to the rg45 for the acm. But you can run one USB and then a hub to multiple chairs. I didn't think to ask on how much the adapter is. They were showing it works with appletv and said it will work with any audio source. I was told it averages around 6 seconds to sync. I honestly didn't understand the answer to extended versions of movies but said it recognizes them. I have a couple pictures on my phone. I'm not sure when I'll get time to post up.

On a separate not...not working on longer actuators for the home. Said the codes would all have to be redone to make that work. They are going to build a lower costing actuator eventually with less travel. Also trying to build one that's not so commercial for home to help lower the cost. It sounds like they want to get the cost of entry down.
post #6561 of 8338 Old 09-11-2014, 05:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Also...storage will be for around 4000 codes more or less.
post #6562 of 8338 Old 09-11-2014, 05:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
I saw the new controller today. It's not cloud based but they are working on one that will be. It's to create a lower cost of entry. All licenses will transfer if you buy the new controller. the license is with the end user. It will be controlled through apps for iPads and tablets. It's still windows driven (but hoping to change to Linux) and will likely have a retail around 2500. It has USB outs to the chairs that will require that adapter they have to the rg45 for the acm. But you can run one USB and then a hub to multiple chairs. I didn't think to ask on how much the adapter is. They were showing it works with appletv and said it will work with any audio source. I was told it averages around 6 seconds to sync. I honestly didn't understand the answer to extended versions of movies but said it recognizes them. I have a couple pictures on my phone. I'm not sure when I'll get time to post up.

On a separate not...not working on longer actuators for the home. Said the codes would all have to be redone to make that work. They are going to build a lower costing actuator eventually with less travel. Also trying to build one that's not so commercial for home to help lower the cost. It sounds like they want to get the cost of entry down.
OK someone really needs to nail down this regular vs extended vs directors cut issue- by using the Lord of the Rings movies as examples. Can someone get a specific answer out of the DBOX people on this?
post #6563 of 8338 Old 09-12-2014, 01:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by iansilv View Post
Quote:

OK someone really needs to nail down this regular vs extended vs directors cut issue- by using the Lord of the Rings movies as examples. Can someone get a specific answer out of the DBOX people on this?
Well, I am not in Denver, so I cannot ask... But I think the following can be derived from what we already know:

- the new controller won't be able to distinguish an extended version until its soundtrack deviates from the standard edition. If this is the case right from the start of a movie, that's no problem, as sync-wise, it's a different movie.
- If an extended edition branches later on in the movie, the controller might have to re-sync, which might take its time (6 seconds?), unless D-Box has a "special branching logic" that knows branching points for certain movies and can therefore "listen harder" at those branching points and change to the added scene more quickly.

As always, me best guess...

Cheers!

Markus
post #6564 of 8338 Old 09-12-2014, 03:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

7channelfreak, do you know if you swap in new controller for old all the existing connectivity (in my case digital coax) to the source will work, or do you have to have analog? You covered the chairs but not the source.

Hoping to hear more from Cineramax today.

Of course another tradeshow, another Google search shows no news for D-BOX...

Matt
post #6565 of 8338 Old 09-12-2014, 05:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I have extracted information from 7challefreak’s post (in green) to try to answer my list of questions. Remaining questions are still in red. Additional questions have been added.

• Connectivity (Full list, options)They were showing it works with appletv and said it will work with any audio source. Please elaborate, if they say “any” do they mean codec or connection? If they mean codec, we already knew that, that was the whole point for us. If they mean connection that implies there will be connectivity for HDMI, optical, coax, line level, etc…
    • Where are the MFX codes stored and how are they accessed? Storage will be for around 4000 codes.
    • How long until the typical sync occurs? 6 seconds to sync
    • Are there bandwidth minimum requirements needed from our ISPs? (Doubtful, but does not hurt to ask) N/A?
    • I still don’t feel like we got a full understanding one how this new controllers operates in contrast to the legacy controllers. Yes, we can speculate based on the info we have, but I would rather get the info in detail from D-Box.
  2. How does the new controller sync with extended/director’s cuts? Will these cuts still get MFX coded when released?I honestly didn't understand the answer to extended versions of movies but said it recognizes them.
  4. How will our current subscriptions be handled? For example, someone just re-subscribed a month before they purchase the new controller. Can they move that to the new controller? All licenses will transfer if you buy the new controller. the license is with the end user.
  5. If someone does not keep their subscription active, does it disable their ability to watch any movies? With current controllers, we can still enjoy our entire catalogue, just not update it. Does not apply to the controller about to be released.
  9. You said they added USB connections to go to the chairs to be used with an adapter. Are the legacy RJ45 present as well or do we need to run new cables (cable if with hub)?

Last edited by thxman; 09-12-2014 at 05:30 AM.
post #6566 of 8338 Old 09-12-2014, 11:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^

I was hoping to get back by today but I was tied up with other things I wanted to see at the show.

It's USB out to the chairs now. You can either use the USB to rg45 at the controller or run new USB cables to the chairs and the use the jumper. There are 4 USB seat connections on the back. The benefit to new customers is you can run one USB cable to a hub by the chairs and then branch off to the rg45 to the acm. So..,you may have one USB going to a spiltter, then to as many chairs as your hub. Downside to this is the controls on the app will affect all of them and not individually. It may be best to run 4 cables to 4 chairs.

They had the new controller taking a feed off the headphone out. It's a line-in input that's all that's needed. They wanted it out of the chain and to avoid hdmi. Hdmi will make it in to the next gen but only as an audio in.

The one year subscription ended a while back and is no longer being offered.
turls likes this.

Last edited by 7channelfreak; 09-13-2014 at 08:15 AM.
post #6567 of 8338 Old 09-13-2014, 07:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

post #6568 of 8338 Old 09-13-2014, 08:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Funny they are showing Pompeii when it won't sync for me.
post #6569 of 8338 Old 09-13-2014, 10:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Ok, does it seem like this new controller is something that can be "extended" or it's functionality upgraded? I am thinking of the following scenario: integration with Kaliedescape, and the exact movie title is sent to the controller to avoid the potential problems with different versions of the same movie. Or with crestron maybe...
post #6570 of 8338 Old 09-13-2014, 10:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Or maybe the app brings up a question to confirm which version of the movie it is at the beginning...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page