For all D-Box enthusiasts ! - Page 246 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 457Likes

post #7351 of 8285 Old 02-10-2016, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked: 491
There was some talk about Immersit future competition to D-Box, their kickstarter is now live
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...n-device-under

Projector: BenQ w1500 + ES Sable 135" 16:9 Screen AVR: Marantz SR6011 ATMOS/DTSX + Unity 2ch Amp + Darbee 5000s Speakers: Polk Audio TSX550t (FL/FR), CS2 Series II (C), FXiA6 (SL/SR), Monitor40 Series II (RL/RR), TSx110B (Ceiling FL/FR RL/RR) LFE: (2) JL Audio 12" Subs + (2) Dayton 15" Subs + (2) ButtKicker LFE Arrangement: 7.1.4 Source: OPPO UDP-203 4k Bluray Player, HTPC, nVidia Shield TV Pro, Hauppauge OTA DVR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7352 of 8285 Old 02-10-2016, 10:51 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Chaves View Post
There was some talk about Immersit future competition to D-Box, their kickstarter is now live
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...n-device-under
Yep looks very impressive!

All the earliest bird pledges are gone, however about 150 left for the next level down!
post #7353 of 8285 Old 02-10-2016, 02:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked: 718
I kind of wish I got one at the $500 level to test out. This may even be better for gaming, especially if it works with consoles. I can't help but think someone is going to put this on a recliner and flip themselves backwards though (think kids tilting their chairs back in school). An incliner may be fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7354 of 8285 Old 02-11-2016, 03:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by thxman View Post
I kind of wish I got one at the $500 level to test out. This may even be better for gaming, especially if it works with consoles.
Hi,

I am one of the 35 that will hopefully get the set in October '16. @599 EUR incl. tax, plus shipping, the financial risk is limited and I am anxious to see how it performs, compared to the D-Box set.

Some of their statements on the Kickstarter page, however, don't sound realistic, though. E.g. the bit about the padding under the actuators that is supposed to stop any vibration... if a padding can do that, then the system does not work properly... vibrate and/or move an 1,100 lbs 3-seater and you need a really solid and massive floor to put it on or the floor WILL shake with the 3-seater. In my old appartment, the whole house was shaking when my D-Box loveseat was in action... and I had placed it as close to the wall as I could... finally, I had to reduce the intesity to protect the buildung structure and not get thrown out...

Another thing I am wondering about is the connection of the actuators or pads with the furniture... as it seems that there is none: the furniture just stands on the pads with its feet. THXMAN, you are probably right, that furniture could slide and/or flip... especially, as the pictures and animations suggest that the Immersit offers more than the 1.5" of movement that the D-Box actuators offer.

Anyway, time will tell.

Cheers

Markus
post #7355 of 8285 Old 02-11-2016, 04:28 PM

A little update on the Immersit Motion... the pads are working with pneumatics and are said to offer up to 4 inches of travel...
post #7356 of 8285 Old 02-12-2016, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hello guys,

Just wanted to share pictures of the "Salon de l'Auto de Sherbrooke" where we were ambassadors for D-BOX in the Montreal region.

A lot of people had the chance to try our new simulation rigs, we had 2 professional racecar drivers try out the rigs and they said they felt the feeling was very real. We used PROJECT CARS and GRID.

It was a pretty great experience and it attracted a lot of people. Who knows, maybe some day we will have the chance to meet some of you at a convention near you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D-BOX - VISION HD Rig.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	1248025   Click image for larger version

Name:	D-BOX - VISION HD Rig 2.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	1248033   Click image for larger version

Name:	D-BOX - VISION HD Rig 3.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	1248041  
turls likes this.
post #7357 of 8285 Old 02-17-2016, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mv038856 View Post
A little update on the Immersit Motion... the pads are working with pneumatics and are said to offer up to 4 inches of travel...
Hi guys,

I have to update my post... It was the first prototype that had the 4 inches of movement. The current prototype has 1.18" and the final product might get a little more (up to 1.57"). The 4" were not safe and as Immersit says not necessary for motion simulation.

Markus
thxman likes this.
post #7358 of 8285 Old 02-17-2016, 02:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

So, looking at all 4 Fox UHD BD movies I picked up today, I saw something on each and found it kind of funny.

post #7359 of 8285 Old 02-17-2016, 02:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Wow! The MC labels are back

Hail to the King, baby!
post #7360 of 8285 Old 02-17-2016, 02:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvais View Post
Wow! The MC labels are back
Yep, I thought it would be a great throwback to the original post that started this entire thread.
post #7361 of 8285 Old 02-18-2016, 01:18 AM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
So, looking at all 4 Fox UHD BD movies I picked up today, I saw something on each and found it kind of funny.

Hi , amazing ! Any immersive Audio included ? I can only see DTS-HD in the back ! Hope I am wrong ! Thx
post #7362 of 8285 Old 02-18-2016, 07:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

No, fox did not add Atmos to these titles. That would have been nice.
post #7363 of 8285 Old 02-19-2016, 02:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by mv038856 View Post
D-Box looked at pnuematics originally and I think the decision was that they were not precise enough. Somewhere I read what all the alternatives they considered were.

Matt
post #7364 of 8285 Old 02-19-2016, 02:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turls View Post
D-Box looked at pnuematics originally and I think the decision was that they were not precise enough. Somewhere I read what all the alternatives they considered were.
They spoke about in an old promo video, how they tested many different designs before settling.
post #7365 of 8285 Old 02-19-2016, 02:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
They spoke about in an old promo video, how they tested many different designs before settling.
I think you are right. I ended up with that DVD when I purchased some used items from a dealer that is no longer selling D-Box.
thxman likes this.

Matt
post #7366 of 8285 Old 02-19-2016, 06:31 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tspotorno View Post
Just happened by the HEMC site today, and noticed a download link for remote control codes...

It uses the basic <STX><ETX> delimeters with IP based communications to send / receive data from the unit.

Unfortunately, there is no command to Sleep / Wake the unit...

But using the commands you can now set most of the options with a remote control unit such as IRule...
I can't find this on their site. I just got the HEMC, and would like to integrate it with irule. Can you provide a link or any info for this? Thanks!
post #7367 of 8285 Old 02-19-2016, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
It looks like the classic Bond 007 movies aren't being worked on anymore. I was looking forwards to having all of them coded.
post #7368 of 8285 Old 02-20-2016, 08:34 AM

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Hi

Can someone please tell me how the syncing functionality works in dbox? Im especially looking at films with extended cuts and unrated/director editions etc...

Does dbox sync with the actual audio of a film in real time or is the film determined when you first start it up?

For example, say if im watching lord of the rings extended edition! The dbox starts to pick the film in the first 5 minutes but picks the normal edition as both audios would be the same at that time, later in the film when the extended scenes start would dbox simply skip any motion for these scenes and continue on providing motion (ie. Resync) when the extended scene has ended?? Or would it assume right throughout that the normal edition is playing and carry on providing motion for the normal edition which ofocurse would be completely out of sync!

I understand LOTR might probably be covered in all formats by dbox anyway, but im interested to know what would happen with other films that it doesnt know of the extended versions etc...
post #7369 of 8285 Old 02-22-2016, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer_Nads View Post
Hi

Can someone please tell me how the syncing functionality works in dbox? Im especially looking at films with extended cuts and unrated/director editions etc...

Does dbox sync with the actual audio of a film in real time or is the film determined when you first start it up?

For example, say if im watching lord of the rings extended edition! The dbox starts to pick the film in the first 5 minutes but picks the normal edition as both audios would be the same at that time, later in the film when the extended scenes start would dbox simply skip any motion for these scenes and continue on providing motion (ie. Resync) when the extended scene has ended?? Or would it assume right throughout that the normal edition is playing and carry on providing motion for the normal edition which ofocurse would be completely out of sync!

I understand LOTR might probably be covered in all formats by dbox anyway, but im interested to know what would happen with other films that it doesnt know of the extended versions etc...
Since the sync of the HEMC is completely soundtrack based, there is no way for it to automatically distinguish a standard and an extended edition as long as the soundtrack is the same.

Provided the sync starts with the standard edition, everything works fine until the extended edition branches away... then the controller would detect a loss of sync and look for a motion code for the EE-specific part. Once it has found that, it would provide the motion for the EE from then on.

That is how I think it must work... ;-)

When the HEMC has been announced, we discussed in this very thread if D-Box could implement some branching logic, so that the switching between SE and EE codes would be faster... but this was just guesswork and thinking out loud...

Hope this info helps!

Markus
post #7370 of 8285 Old 02-23-2016, 04:56 PM

Another update about Immersit...

- Immersit plans to make the software that is needed to create motion codes publicly available. The idea is that you can make motion codes for your individual/private family home videos or for publicly available content. For the later codes could be uploaded to a community web platform so that they are available for other users as well.
I remember that this idea has been discussed for D-Box motion codes in this circle, back in the days when Yannick was active here. It never materialized, though.
- Immersit plans to support gaming consoles (PlayStation, X-Box) as well as PCs for gaming. Gaming console support has been a topic here as well...
- At least Kickstarter backers will have unlimited access to current and future motion codes free of charge.

Disclaimer:
All info provided by me is based on information provided by Immersit through their website and/or Kickstarter page.

I am anxious myself to see which of these ideas will become reality and if so, when...

Personally, I think it would be good to have another player in the motion simulation market. Considering the prices/contributions and the "rebates off retail" as quoted on Kickstarter, the current idea is that an Immersit system, capable to carry 1100lbs would have a retail price of around 1500 EUR including 20% sales tax. The system includes the controller. If this becomes reality, the entry level into motion simulation would drop dramatically, compared to the lowest priced D-Box system with 3 axis of motion. There are so many open questions, though, regarding the quality of the product in terms of what the mechanics/pneumatics will be capable of doing, how it fares on durability, what quality the motion coding will have and how (good) the syncing with all the "to-be-supported" movie and gaming platforms will work. Nevertheless, competition is good and I could imagine that once it is clear what Immersit actually can do, D-Box will assess its options and hopefully any decision made won't be to the current users disadvantage...

Cheers!

Markus
post #7371 of 8285 Old 02-25-2016, 07:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Just got my HEMC (thanks @Frank_VisionHD ) and trying to get it set up correctly.

It doesn't seem to be downloading new codes on its own. I didn't see a way to force it- outside of redownloading the entire library from the site.

I can't seem to get downmixed 2 channel analog from my Yamaha RX A3000. The monitor output doesn't apparently work for HDMI audio sources, and the headphone jack turns off the speakers.

Front/Left pre-outs synch most of the time except for when the dialogue is prevalent (since it's missing?) or perhaps other factors. At least- when watching the app, it goes silent a lot.

Any ideas?

I thought I might pick one of these up: http://www.ebay.com/itm/HDMI-Audio-E...oAAOSwHQ9WX5cO since I do have an extra HDMI out I'm not currently using... but I always thought I'd use that second HDMI output for a monitor or something.
Frank_VisionHD likes this.
post #7372 of 8285 Old 02-25-2016, 07:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Read my FAQ. As far as the auto downloading, your best bet is to just DL the codes from the site and copy to a thumb drive

Hail to the King, baby!
post #7373 of 8285 Old 02-25-2016, 07:42 PM
Advanced Member

Hey dravis- thanks for the quick response. I did look at your FAQ and the converter you recommended is no longer sold. Can you recommend a similar one? I did look at the other items suggested by Amazon- so it's probably one of those.

Also- the FAQ says: ...but you have a free HDMI output, you'll need to get an HDMI-to-Optical converter

I think you mean HDMI-to-Analogue, right?

Since I'm just upgrading from an older Controller- my Receiver does have Optical out. But I've been thinking of upgrading to an Atmos capable receiver soon- which is guaranteed not to have Optical out... so I probably couldn't consider that a long term solution. Though it might not have a 2nd HDMI either- and it may yet have a downmixed stereo out! So who knows?

Hmmm.... decisions.

The HEMC manual states this:
The internal software and the Motion Codes library are updated automatically from a remote server. be sure to always have your HeMC
connected to your Internet network. the update will not disturb your current movie viewing and will be uploaded while you are watching a movie.
However, the installation will be performed only if your HeMC is idle for one hour or the next time you turn it on.

Are you saying it doesn't work that way (yet) or at least not reliably?

I've left it alone for an hour as well as have turned it off and on a couple times.
post #7374 of 8285 Old 02-25-2016, 07:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 203
I thought new codes were pushed to the hemc!?!
post #7375 of 8285 Old 02-25-2016, 07:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7channelfreak View Post
I thought new codes were pushed to the hemc!?!

They're supposed to be pushed every hour when the unit is on but not being used.

Hail to the King, baby!
post #7376 of 8285 Old 02-25-2016, 07:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhonzi View Post
Hey dravis- thanks for the quick response. I did look at your FAQ and the converter you recommended is no longer sold. Can you recommend a similar one? I did look at the other items suggested by Amazon- so it's probably one of those.

Also- the FAQ says: ...but you have a free HDMI output, you'll need to get an HDMI-to-Optical converter

I think you mean HDMI-to-Analogue, right?

Since I'm just upgrading from an older Controller- my Receiver does have Optical out. But I've been thinking of upgrading to an Atmos capable receiver soon- which is guaranteed not to have Optical out... so I probably couldn't consider that a long term solution. Though it might not have a 2nd HDMI either- and it may yet have a downmixed stereo out! So who knows?

Hmmm.... decisions.

The HEMC manual states this:

The internal software and the Motion Codes library are updated automatically from a remote server. be sure to always have your HeMC

connected to your Internet network. the update will not disturb your current movie viewing and will be uploaded while you are watching a movie.

However, the installation will be performed only if your HeMC is idle for one hour or the next time you turn it on.

Are you saying it doesn't work that way (yet) or at least not reliably?

I've left it alone for an hour as well as have turned it off and on a couple times.

I didn't realize the converter I listed was out of production. Hmmm. I guess search away on eBay.

I can't say if the item you listed will work or not. Try it and let us know.

HDMI-to-optical is correct, it's still a digital signal.

Hail to the King, baby!
post #7377 of 8285 Old 02-25-2016, 07:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvais View Post
HDMI-to-optical is correct, it's still a digital signal.
But the HEMC craves analogue, right? Aren't we outputting it over the 3.5 mm jack- not the optical one?
post #7378 of 8285 Old 02-25-2016, 07:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
But the HEMC craves analogue, right? Aren't we outputting it over the 3.5 mm jack- not the optical one?

You'll need to then convert that optical signal with an analog audio converter, unless you can find an HDMI-analog converter that provides full FL+FR+Center information.

Hail to the King, baby!
post #7379 of 8285 Old 02-25-2016, 09:40 PM
Advanced Member

Downloaded the HEMC code update- put it on a USB drive (tried two different ones).
Turned the controller off.
Plugged in the USB.
Powered the controller on.
Saw the app say "Performing Motion Code Update" or something.
3-4 minutes go by and then: "Motion Code Update Completed!"
Nothing new on the Motion Code Library.

The last code I have is Fantastic Four (2015) with a release date of 2015-12-15.

Newer codes such as The Walk or The Martian are not appearing- or the code from the latest update: Straight Outta Compton.

I tried The Walk to see if it would synch anyways- it doesn't.

Anything else I can try? I will contact D-Box support if no one has something simple I'm doing wrong. Do I need to have my serial registered at D-Box HQ?

Last edited by xhonzi; 02-25-2016 at 09:49 PM.
post #7380 of 8285 Old 02-26-2016, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Downloaded the HEMC code update- put it on a USB drive (tried two different ones).
Turned the controller off.
Plugged in the USB.
Powered the controller on.
Saw the app say "Performing Motion Code Update" or something.
3-4 minutes go by and then: "Motion Code Update Completed!"
Nothing new on the Motion Code Library.

The last code I have is Fantastic Four (2015) with a release date of 2015-12-15.

Newer codes such as The Walk or The Martian are not appearing- or the code from the latest update: Straight Outta Compton.

I tried The Walk to see if it would synch anyways- it doesn't.

Anything else I can try? I will contact D-Box support if no one has something simple I'm doing wrong. Do I need to have my serial registered at D-Box HQ?
Left it on all night. It was updated as of this morning.

Latest release date is still Fantastic Four- but the Walk, Martian, etc. are all on it now.
Frank_VisionHD likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page