New System Finally! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 01-28-2007, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Guys and fellow BAAS members,

Well, after auditioning quite a few speakers, and even making a trip out east to hear a few, I bought a pr. of Tidal Audio Pianos,

http://www.tidal-audio.de/english/st...shprodukte.htm

And I fell in love with a set of Canary Audio 339's monoblocks...300B in a push/pull design giving me 50wts.

http://canaryaudio.com/339.htm

Wiring it all in Argento wiring, Serenity Reference.

http://www.argento.dk/SerenityReference.html

Speakers will be here in a week, amps I have already (oufitted with Gold Aero 300Bs), and the wire won't be ready for 3 wks.

So I have some time to wait and try to sell all my old VonSchwiekert speakers, and to figure how to integrate a HT surround setup.

Anyway, this was a huge undertaking and financing, but I should be pretty close to My audio nirvana heheh

ChrisLee

HT: Sony XBR 75" HDTV, Vienna Acoustic Maestro center, Waltz Grands as rears, and dual SVS SMB Ultra 16 subwoofers. Emotiva XMC-1 and some Crown amps for center and rears for now Audio: Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 8g Corsair Domintor ram as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 01-28-2007, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Congratulations Chris!

I hope your new system gives you great pleasure. Please post some photos of the new rig once it is up and running.

Best Regards,

Sean
post #3 of 22 Old 01-28-2007, 12:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
hey congrats, yes please port pics asap. i really think the moderators ought to make a sticky thread for system pics (and owners pics) for this forum. everyone here has the names, but few know what their systems and faces look like. anyways, enjoy the new stuff. i have some new toys coming as well. who says you have to wait for christmas to get "presents"?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 01-28-2007, 04:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Happy listening Chris. I know that when you were at my house last year you were talking about redoing your system
post #5 of 22 Old 01-28-2007, 05:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I don't know about you guys, but I'm glad I don't have to earn a living by coming up schlock like this:
"TIDAL Piano - our most successful loudspeaker. It reproduces extremely deep low frequency information and provides the listener with a characteristic mood and intensity that is absolutely breathtaking"

They may be great loudspeakers, but enough with the hyperbole.

rotary subwoofer install blog ultimate subwoofer install : http://bassment.wordpress.com/ ... c
post #6 of 22 Old 01-28-2007, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzucc View Post

I don't know about you guys, but I'm glad I don't have to earn a living by coming up schlock like this:
"TIDAL Piano - our most successful loudspeaker. It reproduces extremely deep low frequency information and provides the listener with a characteristic mood and intensity that is absolutely breathtaking"

They may be great loudspeakers, but enough with the hyperbole.

C'mon Tzucc...and what pray would you have said?
post #7 of 22 Old 01-31-2007, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Obgyn, Anthony and Sean! I will post some pics once everything comes in and I get the room the way I want. The wires alone are going to take 3-4 more wks., that's the worst lol

I also bought Shatki Hallograph Room Optimizer/pr or them for the front corners. I"ve heard from sev. people they really help deepen a soundstage, esp. in smaller rooms. So what the heck, it's worth a 30 dy trial at least.

And Obgyn, I don't have enough money or space to put alot of room treatments in there, but the two I"m going to get is ASC corner traps, and ASC Sound Panels ($500 for 8) and thought of puttinng 4 up against the back wall, 3ft behind listening position. I just have to pay off the Tidals and the Canarys! hehehe

BTW, these Canarys'339's even make this old VSA VR4GenII sound not bad lol

Chris

HT: Sony XBR 75" HDTV, Vienna Acoustic Maestro center, Waltz Grands as rears, and dual SVS SMB Ultra 16 subwoofers. Emotiva XMC-1 and some Crown amps for center and rears for now Audio: Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 8g Corsair Domintor ram as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.
post #8 of 22 Old 01-31-2007, 03:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislee View Post

I also bought Shatki Hallograph Room Optimizer/pr or them for the front corners.

I'll refrain from commenting on the Shatki, but I would love to hear an explanation for this claim at their website:

"We learned how to reduce the audibility of the chaotic reflections from the walls of the listening room so they won't overpower and interfere with the direct sound from the speakers. The Hallograph contours the frequency, amplitude and time coefficients of the first reflections you hear, which produces a stunning increase in realism."

It seems an incredible stretch to refer to sound reflections as chaotic, but if for the sake of argument we accept their claim, how does something that is fairly static manage and control a chaotic process?

Dunning–Kruger effect - a cognitive bias where individuals exhibiting poor ability suffer from an illusion of superiority, due to their mistaken assessment of their cognitive ability. That is, a high level of incompetence prevents such individuals from cognitively recognizing their own ineptitude. Yeah, been there...done that.
post #9 of 22 Old 01-31-2007, 04:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul GS View Post

It seems an incredible stretch to refer to sound reflections as chaotic

You'd think otherwise if you heard some my conversations with my son over his homework and grades.
post #10 of 22 Old 01-31-2007, 07:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Party View Post

You'd think otherwise if you heard some my conversations with my son over his homework and grades.

Dunning–Kruger effect - a cognitive bias where individuals exhibiting poor ability suffer from an illusion of superiority, due to their mistaken assessment of their cognitive ability. That is, a high level of incompetence prevents such individuals from cognitively recognizing their own ineptitude. Yeah, been there...done that.
post #11 of 22 Old 01-31-2007, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter

Raul, well, I'm a little skeptical too. MusicDirect offers 30 trial if I don't like it. Otherwise, I'm planning on getting a set of ASC Sound Planks 8/$500 which maybe a better use of money

post #12 of 22 Old 01-31-2007, 10:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul GS View Post

I'll refrain from commenting on the Shatki, but I would love to hear an explanation for this claim at their website:

"We learned how to reduce the audibility of the chaotic reflections from the walls of the listening room so they won't overpower and interfere with the direct sound from the speakers. The Hallograph contours the frequency, amplitude and time coefficients of the first reflections you hear, which produces a stunning increase in realism."

It seems an incredible stretch to refer to sound reflections as chaotic, but if for the sake of argument we accept their claim, how does something that is fairly static manage and control a chaotic process?

i suppose it is an advantage to be technically clueless......as my brain does not try to convince my ears that they are not hearing what they are hearing.

i have been to 2 different demos at CES with these products. whether you like it or not they work. they seem to neutralize reflections and therefore cause an increase in image focus and clarity. the more severe the first reflection problem the bigger the benefit. it's no parlor trick or 'power of suggestion'.

they do look hokey though.

remember i'm the guy who had an acoustician design a room according to science......not smoke and mirrors. i also played around with these in my previous room and they worked there.....but i (and my wife) could not handle how they looked.

i do wish the 'explaination' was more along the lines of "who cares why it works.....it just does".

Sony XBR-65A1E-rec room / JVC RS4500K FP--Stewart Studiotek 100 2:35-1 screen, 7.1.4 Revel speaker, Anthem AVM60 processor, Lumagen Radiance Pro 4242-18 gig, Paladin DCR lens, Oppo 203 4K BRD, dedicated Home Theater / Fujitsu P50XHA10US-fam room / Dedicated 2-channel music room, https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/615
post #13 of 22 Old 01-31-2007, 11:10 PM

Chris

Stick with the soundplanks
post #14 of 22 Old 02-01-2007, 12:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 21
http://www.argento.dk/Argento_texts.pdf

definitely the laugh of the decade

"why dont we use shielding in our cables..?" "one reason! It simply sounds better without!"

Quote:

Wiring it all in Argento wiring, Serenity Reference.

http://www.argento.dk/SerenityReference.html

ChrisLee

post #15 of 22 Old 02-01-2007, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Mike for backing me up there But I too have heard them in audio rooms with and without them. They do indeed help with clarity and from what I heard, deepens the soundstage.

I'm talking with Jim at ASC ObGyn to get his opinion....was supp. to be today but had no time. I just don't want to go overboard as the rooms so small.

Chris

post #16 of 22 Old 12-08-2019, 11:22 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked: 819
Hey Chris,

So the last post on your dedicated thread was, 02-01-2007, 11:59 PM - Thread Starter

I was looking for those pictures you mentioned posting once all the new components/gear arrived and was installed.

If you did by chance take pictures take a few minutes and post them I'd love to see what that H/T System looked like.

I know you have since relocated ............

Terry
post #17 of 22 Old 12-08-2019, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerhonaker View Post
Hey Chris,

So the last post on your dedicated thread was, 02-01-2007, 11:59 PM - Thread Starter

I was looking for those pictures you mentioned posting once all the new components/gear arrived and was installed.

If you did by chance take pictures take a few minutes and post them I'd love to see what that H/T System looked like.

I know you have since relocated ............

Terry
Morning Terry. I've been off this forum for a few yrs. and have come back to work on my HT slowly. I typically hang out on Computer Audiophile website and have been working on building up my 2 ch digital setup (a pc server and an Intel NUC as endpoint both running audiolinux)

But since we just moved to Portland, I had two choices for speakers/hdtv....long and short wall. I decided on the long wall b/c of room geometry, but I want to try moving to the short wall after I recover from my arm. I'll try to post some pics in the coming week of my current setup.

Thanks for bringing this thread up...I had totally forgotten about it lol

Chris
post #18 of 22 Old 12-08-2019, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Thumbs up

Chris,

Quote:
I thought to myself you were either a guy that had little to say
Or you did not wish to post what you were doing in the open and then see & read what other AVS members said you should have done.

I look forward to seeing what you end up doing in your new location as your "Broken-Wrist" heals and things then move forward with the H/T new project.

I was in sales for way over 30-years so I can and am a very-very wordy fellow.

Terry
post #19 of 22 Old 12-08-2019, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Chris,

I thought to myself you were either a guy that had little to say
Or you did not wish to post what you were doing in the open and then see & read what other AVS members said you should have done.

I look forward to seeing what you end up doing in your new location as your "Broken-Wrist" heals and things then move forward with the H/T new project.

I was in sales for way over 30-years so I can and am a very-very wordy fellow.

Terry
;-)) Well I am a guy, but not much of a long poster. I've just been focused on music last couple of yrs while enjoying my 'midfi' HT setup. But now, both myself and spouse are now retired and on a fixed budget. So anything I do now is going to take awhile as I'll only be able to focus on one piece at a time upgrading. Definitively a bummer we are still getting used to. I updated my profile and signature.

But right now, I only am using the two fronts and a center speaker. I didn't have time to even install the rears before the wrist surgery. So pretty lame HT right now lol

post #20 of 22 Old 12-08-2019, 02:55 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
;-)) Well I am a guy, but not much of a long poster. I've just been focused on music last couple of yrs while enjoying my 'midfi' HT setup. But now, both myself and spouse are now retired and on a fixed budget. So anything I do now is going to take awhile as I'll only be able to focus on one piece at a time upgrading. Definitively a bummer we are still getting used to. I updated my profile and signature.

But right now, I only am using the two fronts and a center speaker. I didn't have time to even install the rears before the wrist surgery. So pretty lame HT right now lol
Chris,

Well on this end I'm the one that's totally retired as of 2008 thanks to my younger professional wife.
She is 9-years younger and working at home.
So she wanted some company as she was getting lonely just being at home by herself everyday.

I can understand you taking your time with both of you being retired.
Well UN-Less you guys are like the very-very wealthy that is.

Once the wrist surgery is over with and that's healed then you can slowly move forward with the H/T new project.

Terry
post #21 of 22 Old 12-08-2019, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Chris,

Well on this end I'm the one that's totally retired as of 2008 thanks to my younger professional wife.
She is 9-years younger and working at home.
So she wanted some company as she was getting lonely just being at home by herself everyday.

I can understand you taking your time with both of you being retired.
Well UN-Less you guys are like the very-very wealthy that is.

Once the wrist surgery is over with and that's healed then you can slowly move forward with the H/T new project.

Terry

Good for you two! And 'very gracious' retirement so you can focus your life on your interests My younger half was forced retirement at the ripe age of 50 from a lg.corporation. Fortunately we saved enough for a modest retirement. But, being able move to Portland was a dream come true. So much a make lemonade from lemons situation Hell, we still had our home in Chicago till a week ago, the market for higher end homes is really bad. Just glad to be done with it all.

The biggest problem for the entire 'upgrades' will be putting inceiling speakers in the finished basement. It's going to cost a fortune, or I'll have to do it which I don't want to ) I don't have a HT room per say, but my couch, 75" hdtv, and gear. We have two German Shepherd dogs so we keep "my Lair" as it's been labeled, still dog friendly. We keep the upstairs nice so it's a good compromise.

Lastly, I promise to get some pictures up. It's a mess now what with me having to rebuild my server 2x and now I have to replace the processor! Oh well, this is a "hobby" so I'm told lol

Wow, you caught me in a chatty moment....hehe

post #22 of 22 Old 12-09-2019, 11:17 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Good for you two! And 'very gracious' retirement so you can focus your life on your interests My younger half was forced retirement at the ripe age of 50 from a lg.corporation. Fortunately we saved enough for a modest retirement. But, being able move to Portland was a dream come true. So much a make lemonade from lemons situation Hell, we still had our home in Chicago till a week ago, the market for higher end homes is really bad. Just glad to be done with it all.

The biggest problem for the entire 'upgrades' will be putting inceiling speakers in the finished basement. It's going to cost a fortune, or I'll have to do it which I don't want to ) I don't have a HT room per say, but my couch, 75" hdtv, and gear. We have two German Shepherd dogs so we keep "my Lair" as it's been labeled, still dog friendly. We keep the upstairs nice so it's a good compromise.

Lastly, I promise to get some pictures up. It's a mess now what with me having to rebuild my server 2x and now I have to replace the processor! Oh well, this is a "hobby" so I'm told lol

Wow, you caught me in a chatty moment....hehe
So Chris,

You can be chatty when your chatting with another chatty fellow.

Hey buddy installing in-ceiling speakers into "Concrete" I don't even want to think about.

And as far as cost the labor to my thinking would be absorbent for sure.
There is no-way this 74 year old would even remotely consider doing an install like that myself.

So you have a couple of Bigger dogs/Buddies.
We have one rather large Male Maine Coon Cat named Rascal.
He is now I think like 3 1/2 years old.

Well one very-very positive thing did take place for you the home/house in Chicago is now over-with.

Cathy and I are now once again getting the bank balance back-up so when the time comes for adding Atmos we can make that take place.
We are going to do Cash for all of that.
Stopped using Credit-Cards probably 10-years ago one of the smarter things for sure and that was Cathy making that decision.

BTW,
I did look up the speakers and amp you have so I see what you were saying that they are Super-Nice-Units !!!

Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 12-09-2019 at 11:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page