Anybody ever hear of Kindell speakers? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-13-2007, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter
BP

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Hi;
I was asked to take a look at some older equipment a friend of my sister's inherited from a "stereophile" uncle who lived in Detroit.
He has 4 speakers made by a company named Kindell. One pair, the PLS-A, is 5' - 6' tall and extremely heavy. Wood cabinet around the back and edges of the front. There are also a pair of bookshelf sized monitors that he used for rear surrounds. Dynaco amp for monitors, 750 wpc Craftsman amp for PLS-A's and a Sony eq/preamp. Pio laser disc player, B&O turntable, etc...
Anyway I am really curious about these speakers. I Googled them and found the brand referred to in a personal speaker review posting from 1999 but nothing more.
Does anybody know the story on these?
Thx!
BP

BP

Open mind, open ears. There are no absolutes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-13-2007, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 120
"Kindell' is actually Kindel, as in Bill Kindel. He operated a company called Kindel Audio in the '80s (at least) and also was a partner in a speaker-cabinet shop in California. Kindel speakers were made in California. As I recall, his partner decided to get out of the cabinet business, Bill lost his cabinetmaker, and closed his business. I as Two Jeffreys Audio was one of their (very-parttime) dealers in the '80s.

The PLS-A (an acronym for psuedo-linesource) uses six 6-1/2" bass/midrange drivers and 16 1" softdome tweeters and is 94dB sensitive. The bass-reflex box is ported to the bottom, so be sure they're at least 3" off the floor.

AFTER this post, I think I'll be up to 5 and will be able to post a pic.

Bill built these to a reasonably low price--they were introduced (in the mid-'80s) at $1600/pr IIRC, and Bill had to use inexpensive parts to get them that low. IMO the drivers are good but not VG or excellent, with the tweeters maybe a little better than the B/MR drivers, which suffer a bit in transparency.

I owned 2 pairs; a local friend bought them and still has them. I fell into a great deal on other 6-1/2" drivers from Sonic Craft and both of us bought cartons of 24 each. My friend has replaced the Kindel drivers with these 6-1/2" SCs and much prefers their transparency...clarity...but the original PLS-As could still be termed at least 'good' quality.

I hope this helps.

Tin-eared audiofool, vidiot, Classical-music lover, and highly amateur fotografer.
https://www.dpreview.com/galleries/1403000385/albums
In a 6.2.6: Oppo '203; Marantz AV8805; pairs of PS Audio BHK 300 and Emotiva A-700 pwramps; Quad ESL 2905s, 10 ELAC B6 srnds and ceilings, 2 Rythmik F15HP and 2 F18 SWs; Epson 5040UB and 96"-wide 2.35-ratio screen.
post #3 of 5 Old 04-13-2007, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 120

I drove mine with various lower-power amps...a 50WPC-into-8 Lazarus HA-1, a 70WPC conrad-johnson Premier Eleven-A, 40-Watt KT-88-based triode monoamps.

Got a Stereo 70? :-)

Tin-eared audiofool, vidiot, Classical-music lover, and highly amateur fotografer.
https://www.dpreview.com/galleries/1403000385/albums
In a 6.2.6: Oppo '203; Marantz AV8805; pairs of PS Audio BHK 300 and Emotiva A-700 pwramps; Quad ESL 2905s, 10 ELAC B6 srnds and ceilings, 2 Rythmik F15HP and 2 F18 SWs; Epson 5040UB and 96"-wide 2.35-ratio screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 04-15-2007, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter
BP

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Jeffrey;
Thanks so much for all you told me about the Kindel. I really thought I saw the nameplate showing 2 "l"s, but it was late in the evening after some wine, and dark, so I could easily have seen it wrong...
The cabinet maker put together a pretty solid feeling piece. I can see why these speakers were a good deal at the time.
I guess the new owner will play them and I will let him know about the driver upgrade option...
ah yes, a Stereo 70 would work well.
BP

BP

Open mind, open ears. There are no absolutes!
post #5 of 5 Old 11-18-2019, 08:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by BP View Post
Jeffrey;
Thanks so much for all you told me about the Kindel. I really thought I saw the nameplate showing 2 "l"s, but it was late in the evening after some wine, and dark, so I could easily have seen it wrong...
The cabinet maker put together a pretty solid feeling piece. I can see why these speakers were a good deal at the time.
I guess the new owner will play them and I will let him know about the driver upgrade option...
ah yes, a Stereo 70 would work well.
BP
I just bought a pair of PLS A's, haven't got them home yet, but I do plan to update the crossovers. Jeffrey, do you remember how many Caps I will need and their values by any chance ?
And, what is the best way to get at the crossover ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page