The Top 10 Home Theaters in the World - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 260 Old 01-10-2008, 07:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Odyssey, I though you had told me the black level was a little better with your 340. I apologize for being wrong. I know the blacks on your unit were very nice. The zoom lenes probley did not help much. I have learned alot since we've last talked many improvements have been made.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 260 Old 01-10-2008, 08:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 11
ECS1, your memory is good. The standard DP100 is 2000:1 CR native and 1500:1 at a very tight D65. The modifications, which were made months after delivery, raised the D65 CR to 2800:1, at the cost of 2/3 of the light output.
post #123 of 260 Old 01-10-2008, 10:47 PM

Greetings Everyone

I'm delighted to announce the simultaneous publication of feature articles about The Kipnis Studio Standard in both AudioVision Magazine and Home Theater Magazine - February 2008 issues:

I hope everyone will go out and have a look!

Cheers and Happy New Years -

Jeremy

www.Kipnis-Studios.com

Cheers -

Jeremy

Kipnis Studios

www.Kipnis-Studios.com

www.VideoCalibration.com

www.EpiphanyRecordings.com

Senior Contributing Editor-At-Large - HomeTheaterReview.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 260 Old 01-11-2008, 09:16 AM

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 2273 Post(s)
Liked: 1292
Send a message via Skype™ to CINERAMAX
Quote:
Originally Posted by odyssey View Post

The Hughes JVC 340SC with digital cinema mods that I owned had on/off CR of about 2000:1 and ANSI CR of about 300:1. The Barco DP100 optimized for CR is at 2800:1 on/off and above 500:1 ANSI CR. I have not measured the ANSI CR and it could be as high as 700:1.

Hi Odyssey,

The new Barco DP 1500 should come in at 850 ansi. They will only risk it ( extreme aperture reduction) at 1,200 watt lamp due to concern for DMD temperatures. The lamp requires a special adapter. It is supossedly a very tightly focused and efficient lamp. They are testing next week a .73, aperture reduction, a .63, a .53, a .43 and a .33. It will be interesting to see what happens. They definetely will not yield to any uniformity losses, the big concern with the .73 ap.

In addition the aperture selected cannot heat the projector in 3-d mode, using a 3kw lamp. So I am concerned the .73 with the 3kw is going to run very hot, hence they may not use it on jobs where 3-d is a possible.
post #125 of 260 Old 01-11-2008, 05:38 PM

CINERAMAX, what kind of light output we talking I assume 6000 lumens.
They keep pushings these lamps harder and harder. It's amazing how much light there getting out of them.
Best regards
post #126 of 260 Old 01-11-2008, 06:43 PM

Hi ECS welcome to the Forum, the Barco has multiple lamp options 2kw,3kw,4kw, and a smaller high efficiency 1.2 that needs a custom adapter. I will ask what the different output options are and report.

With the 1,200 and .73 we are hoping to get 21 ft lamberts on a 15 wide screen.

The problem occurs when you want to do Dolby Show 3-d.

That requires an adapter with a filter wheel inside the projector this and the fact that it is sending to 4.2.0 video images 48 times a second reduces the brightness by as much as up to 75%.
post #127 of 260 Old 01-12-2008, 10:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 315
the new dolby 3d system have a filter wheel inside that indeed
reduce the light by arround 75%.
the older or first system reduce it even more with about 81%.
reason is that the new dolby 3d system use a filter that are new development just for
xenon lamps the old one cover also uhp lamps.
the filter wheel with the latest soft and hardware runns at 72 times a secound
per eye(144hz) at full 2048x1080 with the new cinema chip pr.

dolby buy this system from the germany company infitec that develop this system
and since long time i test for them all the filters and eyeglasses.

in 2 weeks from now they will visit me with some new filters and i plan to reconstruct my 2 christie hd6k with a new filter "inside" the pr.
right now i have it in front of the optic and thats not as good as i put it inside.
as i have 2 pr. its a passiv 3d system but the light drop is the same.
post #128 of 260 Old 01-12-2008, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.Mayer View Post

in 2 weeks from now they will visit me with some new filters and i plan to reconstruct my 2 christie hd6k with a new filter "inside" the pr.

Will my glasses work in your room, dealer/theater cost is $50.00 per pair.

Here is the dolby system:

I don't like the idea of two projectors when you can have the Barco SUPERKONTRAST (.73 light aperture reduction) with the filter wheel built-in and two swapable Lamp housings one 2kw for 2d and one 4kw for 3-d. Sell the christies.
post #129 of 260 Old 01-12-2008, 02:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 315
you have the new dolby version on at the picture as
far as i can see it.

there are a lot of advantages when you go with 2 pr. even some
3d cinemas do it with 2 pr. when the double cost its not an issue.

after a lot of talk with christie and barco i deside for me that the
best way is to go with 2 pr.

its very dificult to prepare the picturs in a way a single 3d pr. know how
to display it and that is very very time consuming for my home 3d picutures.

and to do it with 2x 60hz it have a visible filcker on and i am sensitiv
about flicker.

christie have also a version with the dolby system.

i know you favor barco at the moment after all your posts
post #130 of 260 Old 01-14-2008, 09:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post

They will only risk it ( extreme aperture reduction) at 1,200 watt lamp due to concern for DMD temperatures

The chips are watercooled are they... One of the advantages of reflective mirror chips is their bare flat back.
post #131 of 260 Old 01-14-2008, 10:09 AM

Yes they are, but with aperture reduction light output converts directly into heat. If you throw away 73 percent of the light on a high kilowatt lamp, it could definetely shut down the projector. Odissey's mod to the Barco DP 100 is of 66% and he has not monitored any significant temperature increases, and also Digital Projection effected Odissey's very own 66% reduction with no problem either on the Lighting Reference (the Runco Flagship Fleet Killer).

Barco in Belgium being conserrvative do not feel the need to use a higher killowat bulb for 15-21 foot wide screens with 18 to 23 foot lamberts.
post #132 of 260 Old 01-14-2008, 10:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Just checking. That 1500 is a compact model, so heat could become an issue.
post #133 of 260 Old 01-14-2008, 10:14 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Congratulations Jeremy on your magazine article
post #134 of 260 Old 01-14-2008, 03:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

So Jeremy, when will you get your 3D post house going;-)?

I.e. I just read http://www.kipnis-studios.com/The_Ki...ard/Press.html.
post #135 of 260 Old 01-14-2008, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldk View Post

Just checking. That 1500 is a compact model, so heat could become an issue.

So true, yet the 1200 xenon lamp carrier works at 1,000 watts but also at 1,800 watts, and that sucker can be OVERDRIVEN.
post #136 of 260 Old 01-14-2008, 04:55 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked: 1808
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefinerOfReality View Post

Greetings Everyone

I'm delighted to announce the simultaneous publication of feature articles about The Kipnis Studio Standard in both AudioVision Magazine and Home Theater Magazine - February 2008 issues:

I hope everyone will go out and have a look!

Cheers and Happy New Years -

Jeremy

www.Kipnis-Studios.com

Is that you on the cover ?

Art
post #137 of 260 Old 01-14-2008, 05:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Art, follow the link to his site, that I posted two posts above yours, and scroll down. There's even a picture of him, his wife, and his dog in there. The scrawny guy in this picture is the author of the hometheater mag article.
post #138 of 260 Old 01-14-2008, 05:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post

So true, yet the 1200 xenon lamp carrier works at 1,000 watts but also at 1,800 watts, and that sucker can be OVERDRIVEN.

What does that mean, that you can feed a 1200 watt lamp with higher power, do that you could put in an higher wattage xenon lamp in the same adapter you mentioned? Guess Barco will be refusing warranty on any of this out of spec use?
post #139 of 260 Old 01-14-2008, 06:01 PM

Quote:

What does that mean, that you can feed a 1200 watt lamp with higher power, do that you could put in an higher wattage xenon lamp in the same adapter you mentioned? Guess Barco will be refusing warranty on any of this out of spec use?

This is the spec, supplied by specific Hollywood Barco custom house, that will enjoy of full warranty. 3 bulb options 12-14 feet 1,000w, 13-17 feet 1,200 watt, 16 - 22 feet 1800 watts.
post #140 of 260 Old 01-14-2008, 06:08 PM

And here is a closeup of the King Of Miami's Historic Living Room ceiling:

And here is bumble bee's derriere.

And here is a picture of bumble bee, and a 3d Barco/Dolby Setup, taken with a camera from Miami.

Could there be a Synchronic connection?????
post #141 of 260 Old 01-14-2008, 06:42 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked: 1808
Quote:

Art, follow the link to his site, that I posted two posts above yours, and scroll down. There's even a picture of him, his wife, and his dog in there. The scrawny guy in this picture is the author of the hometheater mag article.

Thanks !

Art
post #142 of 260 Old 01-15-2008, 11:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Check #11 out: http://www.gamespy.com/articles/845/845440p1.html

Quote:

Fargo: If you're asking yourself, "Who would want an R2-D2 DLP HD projector?" Then you're on the wrong website. Here at GameSpy we're idiots. We love this kinda stuff. The articulated little R2 unit from Nikko has a digital video projector, a DVD slot, slots for memory cards, and a mount for your iPod. It comes with a remote control shaped like the Millennium Falcon. I repeat: the remote control looks like the Millennium Falcon.

Meet my new entertainment center.

Where would you put it? Why would you want one? Shut up -- shut up. It's R2-D2, dude.

So far, I can't figure out anywhere reasonable in my house to place one of these.
post #143 of 260 Old 01-18-2008, 06:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The Kipnis SS was just reviewed over here, you find that review on Mr. Kipnis' own site in the press area. One point anyone simply has to notice is, what is that setup worth, when you have a 60db projector backround noise, like of a slow car driving through your home theather all the time, when watching a movie, although at reference SPL ? With that backround noise it is for sure his own "standard". Once that tiny problem is solved I think it will get what it deserves. This is not the "dollar = quality thread", right ?

Cheers, Andreas
post #144 of 260 Old 01-18-2008, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas View Post

The Kipnis SS was just reviewed over here, you find that review on Mr. Kipnis' own site in the press area. One point anyone simply has to notice is, what is that setup worth, when you have a 60db projector backround noise, like of a slow car driving through your home theather all the time, when watching a movie, although at reference SPL ? With that backround noise it is for sure his own "standard". Once that tiny problem is solved I think it will get what is deserves. This is not the "dollar = quality thread", right ?

WoW! Is that what that rushing sound is? I thought the central vacuum was left on!

But in reality, the projection booth is well on its way, and will completely close off all the equipment in its own HVAC cleanroom enclosure, which will be entirely soundproof. Along with a seating pedestal to both raise the listening area up 21" and allow the complex wiring to be completely hidden, we will be finishing this particular installation, shortly.

I hazard to say that the SRX-R110 projector is far less noisy than a 35mm or 70mm projector in the same place in the cinema (something that happens when we need to make a direct comparison of formats on the same screen). And it is only really noticeable during near total silence in a film's mix, because the 4" Auralex Studio Wedge Foam (which frames off the projection booth wall) damps the rushing sound quite succesfully, and no worse than a double stack of Barco 909s or Sony G-90s located over or near the seating.

As a projectionist for over 37 years, and an audio and video calibrator for 12, I completely agree that a booth is an absolute necessity when it comes to defining a standard of both picture and sound. You'll be pleased to know that the in-room noise floor is about 4 dB/SPL (NC4), owing to both the acoustic treatment, architectural design that includes noise proofing as for a recording studio, and way out in the country (that is woods) quiet!!!

But in the spirit of the first movie shows of the 20th century, which I speak about half-way down the "Screening Room" page on my website, I created our logo movie which is found here:

www.Kipnis-Studios.com

Can you hear the projector chatter, just like some of us used to hear all the time in grade school?

And . . . can anyone name all the films (in order) that I used for this movie? You will probably have to still frame!!!

Cheers, and thanks for noticing the fine points!

Jeremy

Cheers -

Jeremy

Kipnis Studios

www.Kipnis-Studios.com

www.VideoCalibration.com

post #145 of 260 Old 01-18-2008, 08:33 PM

The Prometheus system uses a Torus screen to attempt some kind of world record for ansi contrast, MTF, and uniformity in a Video Projection system, not only great care is being taken to use dark rich textured materials to prevent reflections while avoiding the seratonin sucking black velvet effect, but the Torus is the highest ansi contrast. The Torus screen was ray traced by Don S himself, at this point the leading expert in Torus ray tracing applications for projection. To shape the Torus air is sucked out of a plenum. This suction device is a manifolded highly dense fan box called the ME unit.

Normally the ME unit is mounted underneath the Torus. Stewart was kind enough to provide a 22 foot umbillical hose this time around.

Even though there was a Royal Edict for me not to bother in positioning the ME unit out of the room as it would be hardly noticeable, I deliberately disobeyed the royal decree, and borrowed the acoustician that is working on keeping the sound from the theater to travel to chambers one floor bellow, to take some readeings of the Me unit placed where planned.

Here Marc Cote of Steve Haas acoustics LLC, confirms my suspicions that the ME unit could sound like the mating rituals of Whales.

The sucker from the seating distance is NC30, at some disturbingly low easy to identify frequencies. That would be actually louder than the air conditioner diffusers .Then everyone was high fiving me afterwards for my daring initiative.

The Prometheus system promises to be the definitive audiophile grade Torus screening room. The experts that flatly rule out the Torus as a practical solution for Home Theater have really no clue of what they are talking about. Pansi sissies is what they are. Even Steve Haas welcomes the challenge to create a synergistic Torus Movie and Music state of the art room.
post #146 of 260 Old 01-18-2008, 08:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I was indeed surprised to read the boothe wasn't finished yet, thought I read here earlier mention being made of it being (nearly) finished. Both articles do mention the fact that it is a scheduled 'upgrade'.
post #147 of 260 Old 01-18-2008, 08:35 PM

Never ever use 2x4 for partitions, their resonances are more harder to control. Metal studs have a damping effect that wood does not.
post #148 of 260 Old 01-18-2008, 08:42 PM

Quote:

I was indeed surprised to read the boothe wasn't finished yet, thought I read here earlier mention being made of it being (nearly) finished. Both articles do mention the fact that it is a scheduled 'upgrade'.

The big hold-up has to do with whether we will utilize a single projector or multiple types - thus being able to compare several projectors simultaneously (or nearly so, using a turntable as an alternative) with formats like those used in the Sony, Barco, Christie, NEC, 2K & 4K DCI standard, or 35mm / 70mm film for that matter. Also, the articles and photos were completed and submitted to the magazines at the end of August, 2007 - so a lot has happened here at KSS, since!

Cheers -

Jeremy

www.Kipnis-Studios.com

Cheers -

Jeremy

Kipnis Studios

www.Kipnis-Studios.com

www.VideoCalibration.com

post #149 of 260 Old 01-18-2008, 08:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Who added the pics from a secure site, my browser is warning me that I am opening a secured page, asking me if I would like to continu.

Scary experience this afternoon, luckily my firewall caught it, received an email from The Perfect Vision that they were folding the magazine, and perhaps would like to see their new mag. So, I followed the link and clicked the download link for the mag. My firewall put up a pop-up window asking me if it should permanantly block all traffic from this programme, as "The application is listening for other computers on all ports", grr.

Probably they included some flash reader of sorts to flip the flash pages, quelle horreur!

They should ban flash from e-print publishing all together, and this was a prime example of one of the many reasons why.
post #150 of 260 Old 01-18-2008, 08:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Am about to set-up my own torus in the garage, soon. The only place I can put it as it will never pass through the stairwell to the first floor, as this Vutec is 238 cm wide by 175 cm high. Can't wait to get a converged picture out of my Sony KP-7720 PSE, how's that for an off-topic post in the 20K forum;-).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page