I have the Qualia 004 service manual. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 01-17-2008, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 66
I read a while back that a couple of people had problems with their 004 Qualias out of warranty, and Sony charged $1500 to repair the power supply.

I now have the s/manual, and looking at the power supply schematic, I believe I can repair any fault on that board for far less than $1500.

Just FYI.

www.curtpalme.com - CRT tech info

www.soundsolutionscanada.com -pro audio website
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 01-17-2008, 08:44 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1127 Post(s)
Liked: 788
Curt, does the Qualia give a warning before the bulb goes out or does it go ort abruptly?
I have 1620 hours on my Qualia and I am replacing it with another projector. While I await the replacement I wonder if the bulb will go out one day....
Thanks in advance.
post #3 of 20 Old 01-17-2008, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter

Right now I know NOTHING about the Qualia, but I can fix it if it breaks..

I don't own one, I'm a CRT guy, but I will be on the lookout for a cheap one so down the road I can get people to send in just the power supply, not the whole unit. I'm sure someone here can answer your question though.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 01-18-2008, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ash,
I have a Qualia. You shouldn't have an issue. A warning pops up on screen and the projector warning you there are 50 hours left on lamp. At end of lamp life I seem to recall the projector warning of 15 hours, then warning saying end of life and projector shuts off. Hope this helps,

Jeff
post #5 of 20 Old 01-18-2008, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1127 Post(s)
Liked: 788
Thanks Jeff - I will miss it once its gone (Sold for March Delivery to Buyer).....
post #6 of 20 Old 01-18-2008, 02:47 PM

Liked: 11
I was one of them. With labor and everything you are right, it was around $1500. However removing and putting that board back is not easy, especially if you keep the PJ hanging up there. That board has many connectors and it takes some skill to put all the guts back in. But I'll remember if it happens again.
post #7 of 20 Old 02-07-2008, 08:38 PM

A while back, I called the Qualia concierge about upgrading to 1080P. This was available as a DVI input. I asked about HDMI, 24hz, HDMI 1.3,and had a bunch of other questions. Concierge said he would contact Sony engineering and try to get answers. I did this twice - never got any response. Anybody have any info on these issues? Upgrade still available? All I found out was DVI upgrade costs $3000, and unit must be shipped. Regards.
post #8 of 20 Old 02-07-2008, 09:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Don't know if the upgrade is still available, however, at the time there were some Sony trained and certified installers who would come to your location and do the upgrade onsite.
post #9 of 20 Old 02-08-2008, 06:19 PM

Called Sony again today. Concierge looked up my past queries, and many were answered - just never got the e-mail. Upgrade to 1080p is still available. It's only via the DVI port, so you need a HDMI to DVI cable. No HDMI 1.3. No 24Hz. The Qualia 004 will only accept a 60Hz input. Not sure the upgrade is worth it. If the Qualia's deinterlacer is very good, AND your Blu-ray's 1080p to 1080i conversion is good, there might not be that much difference in picture quality.
post #10 of 20 Old 11-03-2009, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt Palme View Post

I read a while back that a couple of people had problems with their 004 Qualias out of warranty, and Sony charged $1500 to repair the power supply.

I now have the s/manual, and looking at the power supply schematic, I believe I can repair any fault on that board for far less than $1500.

Just FYI.

Hi Curt, I have a Qualia 004 that has about 1690 hours on it. It was working fine yesterday and has not given me a warning to replace the bulb. Today the projector will attempt to turn on, but then will trip the breaker. If I reset the breaker it will come back on and will remain idle. When I attemp to turn it on it might turn on for 30 seconds and then trips out the breaker.

Any ideas on what may be the cause of this problem?

I have another bulb I can try but I have not seen the error yet.

Just curious,
Ben
post #11 of 20 Old 11-04-2009, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

I PMed you back. Funny, I've had three emails regarding the 004s and failures thereof in the last month alone. It more or less confirms my theory that a typical digital lasts 3-5 years and then packs it in.

post #12 of 20 Old 11-04-2009, 11:10 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 38
The power board on my Q004 died last year. Even though it was out of warranty, Sony repaired it free of charge except I had to pay one way shipping.
post #13 of 20 Old 11-04-2009, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Good for you.

I think Sony had a lot of issues with the SxRD product, so a freebie repair goes a long way toward building good faith again. Apparently there was a class action lawsuit against Sony for some of their flat screen SxRd a year or two ago.

post #14 of 20 Old 11-06-2009, 09:24 PM

Turns out that the Breaker was an arc fault, which does not work well at all with this projector. A brand new arc fault that worked fine for a couple of weeks and then started to trip out. we put a new breaker in and all is good!!

Thanks for the help Curt!
post #15 of 20 Old 02-13-2020, 07:09 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Assistance defect and servicemanual Sony Qualia 004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt Palme View Post

Just FYI.
Hello, Curt. I have a 2nd hand Sony Qualia 004 beamer and it worked great till now (february 2020). Suddenly there is no power at all, can't get the beamer working. No signals on the LCD. A 'Dead system'. I'm looking for a servicemanual and if possible assistance to repair the beamer. Can you help me? Thanks. I live in the Netherlands. Dick vd Geest
post #16 of 20 Old 02-13-2020, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 692 Post(s)
Liked: 200
I suggested recently Curt start doing service on the series 1 dci barco projectors, now Barco stops servicing them, but he doesn't even have time to send out crt parts ordered in 2018, so I think you're out of luck getting him to repair a 'digital'. But you can always ask on his own forum at curtpalme.com, for the manua and other techs that hang out there.

Heb je ook op htforum.nl rondgevraagd?
post #17 of 20 Old 02-14-2020, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Hello, Curt. I have a 2nd hand Sony Qualia 004 beamer and it worked great till now (february 2020). Suddenly there is no power at all, can't get the beamer working. No signals on the LCD. A 'Dead system'. I'm looking for a servicemanual and if possible assistance to repair the beamer. Can you help me? Thanks. I live in the Netherlands. Dick vd Geest
Sorry, I don't give out service information. I can repair the board for you though if you want to send it to me. Email me through the website please.

post #18 of 20 Old 02-14-2020, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldk View Post
I suggested recently Curt start doing service on the series 1 dci barco projectors, now Barco stops servicing them, but he doesn't even have time to send out crt parts ordered in 2018, so I think you're out of luck getting him to repair a 'digital'. But you can always ask on his own forum at curtpalme.com, for the manua and other techs that hang out there.

That's just a little passive/aggressive, isn't it? I have no idea what you're talking about.

post #19 of 20 Old Yesterday, 11:28 AM

Thanks for your reply, Curt. Can you give an idea about what exactly you're going to repair and is the repair succesfully for the coming years? Because, if it happens once, it can happen again, is it a (very) weak part of the Qualia 004? Is it the IC MCZ3001D for instance? I will send the print to you / what you need to repair, but I have to know in advance what you're going to do, what it'll cost, etc. Can you give me some more information? Other people at this forum are interested as well in this issue.
Thanks
post #20 of 20 Old Yesterday, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldk View Post

Thanks for the info, Donald, I; ll ask also on htforum.nl. In the meantime I hope Curt will give me enough info about the procedure and give me trust to let it repair by him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page