The OFFICIAL Emotiva Speaker Owner's thread! - Page 24 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 171Likes

post #691 of 890 Old 02-08-2019, 04:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Everything showed up on time @ my work on Monday. Got them unboxed & found a couple small blemishes on the C2 that I got buffed out, but other than that they look amazing!
Wife requested the grills stay on, said they are too distracting to have in front of her face while watching TV. If that is her only concern, I am more than happy to keep them covered... when she's here!!!
I lugged them into the living room & half assed ran some wire from the MRX 720 to them, just to get a quick listen. With NO tuning nor real staging yet, they sound great. Considering the calibration they are getting from the receiver right now is tuned for the in ceiling speakers, i'm impressed! I will be a bachelor this weekend, so I hope to play with them & get a little more set up.
I will try & post some pics this weekend & hopefully post some opinions by Monday.

One question before setup... do I set these to LARGE or SMALL when doing the calibration? I do have subs, but for 2.0 listening will it make a difference?

Thanks for the help
KSpan, Lp85253 and BluesDaddy56 like this.

Samsung 82" Q90 - Panasonic UB9000 - Anthem MRX 720 - Emotiva T2's & C2 - Emotiva XPA 5 - SVS SB16
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #692 of 890 Old 02-08-2019, 05:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked: 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexrode78 View Post
Everything showed up on time @ my work on Monday. Got them unboxed & found a couple small blemishes on the C2 that I got buffed out, but other than that they look amazing!
Wife requested the grills stay on, said they are too distracting to have in front of her face while watching TV. If that is her only concern, I am more than happy to keep them covered... when she's here!!!
While I'm in the process of getting another BMR for center duties, I've had a C2 center for a few months. Honestly, when watching TV or a movie, the center itself is pretty much just this black, shadowy rectangle under the TV. The light from the TV pretty much makes i blend in to the background. My wife doesn't get the grill off thing, and we use to fuss a bit about it early in our marriage (we hit 35 years this year) but I've gotten to an age where I don't even imagine hearing differences anymore with them on or off (not saying there are none, but) so I pretty much leave them on all the time these days. Congratulations. The C2 really is a pretty amazing center considering the price.
rexrode78 and wassup like this.

Display: Vizio P55-E1l Pre-pro: Marantz 7703; Amps: Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 1, H/K AVR 520 (direct in to amps); Sources: Sony UBP-X700; X-box 1 S; Technics 1200 Mk II; Win10 PC for digital; Phono Preamp: Emotiva XPS-1; Speakers - LR: Philharmonic BMR LR; Center: Selah Audio BMR-CC; Surrounds: Wharfedale Reva-2; Rear Surrounds: Wharfedale Diamond 220; Atmos: TF - Monoprice Alpha 8; TR - BIC VI-38; Subwoofers: dual Rythmik L22s
post #693 of 890 Old 02-08-2019, 07:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1360 Post(s)
Liked: 1551
Quote:
I lugged them into the living room & half assed ran some wire from the MRX 720 to them, just to get a quick listen. With NO tuning nor real staging yet, they sound great. Considering the calibration they are getting from the receiver right now is tuned for the in ceiling speakers, i'm impressed! I will be a bachelor this weekend, so I hope to play with them & get a little more set up.
I will try & post some pics this weekend & hopefully post some opinions by Monday.

One question before setup... do I set these to LARGE or SMALL when doing the calibration? I do have subs, but for 2.0 listening will it make a difference?

Thanks for the help
I set Center (C2) to small anytime listening w/ subs--for 2.0(3.0) I set Center to LARGE sometimes and sometimes SMALL, and sometimes NONE. Just depends on my mood but no wrong answer except with the subs on then always set to small
Actually your subs may not even play if LR or CENTER on LARGE
rexrode78 and Lp85253 like this.

Set up #1 Speakers LR: Tekton Enzo XL ; Center: Tekton Pendragon Subs (2) 2019 JTR 118HTs
Set up #2 : QA3020i LR, Center: Emotiva C1 Subs (2) HSU VTF2 MK5,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #694 of 890 Old 02-08-2019, 08:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2102 Post(s)
Liked: 1756
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpk1970 View Post
I set Center (C2) to small anytime listening w/ subs--for 2.0(3.0) I set Center to LARGE sometimes and sometimes SMALL, and sometimes NONE. Just depends on my mood but no wrong answer except with the subs on then always set to small
Actually your subs may not even play if LR or CENTER on LARGE
this.. whatever sounds good... *rule of thumb*.. when using your sub(s) set all other speakers to small with a crossover at 80 hz , give or take.. unless of course something else sounds better...
rexrode78 likes this.

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r emotiva b1's and /or kef q100's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... ascend cbm 170 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. wharfedale 10.1s... ascend cbm 170 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
post #695 of 890 Old 02-10-2019, 08:06 AM

So I got them all staged using a laser level & ran ARC 2 yesterday! Turned on the test tone & w/ a SPL app found the center and left rear to be a little low. Bumped the center about 2 dB higher than the rest & then played w/ the sub level. For some reason ARC always seems to set the sub level really low, so I jacked that up a bit while playing a 50 Hz tone.
Put the movie Hunter Killer in, since I still hadn't watched it & HOLY HELL!!!! Such an improvement over anything i've ever owned!
Not sure if i'm gonna leave the sub where it is though. I haven't decided on a stand yet, so it makes a great stand for now. I put a foam isolation pad under it that is used for studio monitors, just to protect both & decouple it from the sub.
I'll play some music today while doing some stuff around the house & see what that is like. I assume I turn ARC profile off though for music though right? I guess I'll try it both ways & see what I think. I'd imagine as long as the x-over is set for the fronts, I'd be fine?

Thanks for the advice so far guys! Look forward to 'breaking' these in & seeing what they can really do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190209_153652.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	315.5 KB
ID:	2523276  

Samsung 82" Q90 - Panasonic UB9000 - Anthem MRX 720 - Emotiva T2's & C2 - Emotiva XPA 5 - SVS SB16
post #696 of 890 Old 02-10-2019, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So I got them all staged using a laser level & ran ARC 2 yesterday! Turned on the test tone & w/ a SPL app found the center and left rear to be a little low. Bumped the center about 2 dB higher than the rest & then played w/ the sub level. For some reason ARC always seems to set the sub level really low, so I jacked that up a bit while playing a 50 Hz tone.
Put the movie Hunter Killer in, since I still hadn't watched it & HOLY HELL!!!! Such an improvement over anything i've ever owned!
Not sure if i'm gonna leave the sub where it is though. I haven't decided on a stand yet, so it makes a great stand for now. I put a foam isolation pad under it that is used for studio monitors, just to protect both & decouple it from the sub.
I'll play some music today while doing some stuff around the house & see what that is like. I assume I turn ARC profile off though for music though right? I guess I'll try it both ways & see what I think. I'd imagine as long as the x-over is set for the fronts, I'd be fine?

Thanks for the advice so far guys! Look forward to 'breaking' these in & seeing what they can really do.
awesome set up.. congrats on picking well...now... beware of the thought of "more is better".. i think the only upgrade you need to worry about anytime soon *might* be to add a sub later .. that's a decade long set up you have there...
rexrode78 and mpk1970 like this.

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r emotiva b1's and /or kef q100's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... ascend cbm 170 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. wharfedale 10.1s... ascend cbm 170 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
post #697 of 890 Old 02-10-2019, 11:34 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9075 Post(s)
Liked: 6216
Quote:

Thanks for the help
Very very nice room and good job with placement.

Run "small" for all speakers and if you listen to 2.0 music in DIRECT it will do so with no EQ so the towers will be playing "large" in DIRECT.

Some receivers for DIRECT don't include the sub but that shouldn't be an issue with those towers.

I usually don't us a sub when listening to music on my towers.

Usually that location isn't the "best" for a subwoofer but it looks like it might be the best for you aesthetically.
rexrode78, Lp85253 and mpk1970 like this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #698 of 890 Old 02-10-2019, 04:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Looks good Rex Congrats
rexrode78 likes this.

Set up #1 Speakers LR: Tekton Enzo XL ; Center: Tekton Pendragon Subs (2) 2019 JTR 118HTs
post #699 of 890 Old 02-17-2019, 08:07 AM

So, I put the system through the paces last night w/ the 4k of Bohemian Rhapsody. The speakers sounded AMAZING !! Everything was crystal clear & never was it too much. Even the wife commented how the voices of the band at times seemed like they should have been shrill were actually not painful at all.
Can't wait to hear even more!
If you are on the fence over the T2 & C2 purchase... don't be! The quality of these speaker for the price is exceptional!

Thanks for all that recommended this route.
Lp85253, leecreek and mpk1970 like this.

post #700 of 890 Old 02-17-2019, 08:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So, I put the system through the paces last night w/ the 4k of Bohemian Rhapsody. The speakers sounded AMAZING !! Everything was crystal clear & never was it too much. Even the wife commented how the voices of the band at times seemed like they should have been shrill were actually not painful at all.
Can't wait to hear even more!
If you are on the fence over the T2 & C2 purchase... don't be! The quality of these speaker for the price is exceptional!

Thanks for all that recommended this route.
i love thinking for a moment in time (however brief) that i actually know *something* about the budget speakers i listen to , and actually helped somebody enjoy the hobby a bit..
rexrode78 and mpk1970 like this.

post #701 of 890 Old 02-18-2019, 06:36 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Anyone know how to properly set these up with a Denon X4500H/X4400H? I just got my T1s and C1 and this is my first time setting up a home theater system. I'm wanting to do bi-amping on the towers and center but I'm uncertain of how to properly wire and setup through the receiver's interface. I've found the X6400H diagram to have the center channel bi-amping option while the X4500H manual diagram doesn't have an option for a bi-amped center. I'd appreciate any advice on how to go about this.
post #702 of 890 Old 02-18-2019, 08:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 999 Post(s)
Liked: 1690
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichikasuto View Post
Anyone know how to properly set these up with a Denon X4500H/X4400H? I just got my T1s and C1 and this is my first time setting up a home theater system. I'm wanting to do bi-amping on the towers and center but I'm uncertain of how to properly wire and setup through the receiver's interface. I've found the X6400H diagram to have the center channel bi-amping option while the X4500H manual diagram doesn't have an option for a bi-amped center. I'd appreciate any advice on how to go about this.
Yep, it appears there's no facility for centre channel bi-amping with the Denon X4500H/X4400H. Can't be done.

No great loss though as passive bi-amping like this makes no net electrical difference versus single wiring (assuming your wire isn't grossly undersized) and therefore cannot make any actual difference to the sound you hear.

Unless you've already bought all your wire and other paraphernalia (banana plugs etc), I'd forget all about bi-amping. Just hook 'em up single wire, put your feet up and enjoy your new speakers safe in the knowledge that you're not missing out on anything.
Soulburner, Lp85253 and ichikasuto like this.
post #703 of 890 Old 03-15-2019, 03:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Bought a C2 and it arrived today. $400 is an absolute steal for this performance. Huge, natural sound that really integrated well with my Revel M16s and DIY sealed 15" sub. Am coming from a Def Tech CLR 3000 that I could never get quite right, quite smooth, quite 'not boxy' enough. The C2 is nailing it right out of the box... very promising.

Will be thoroughly enjoying this weekend, though I also bought an Infinity RC263 for the dirt-cheap price they're currently selling for. Looking forward to the shootout when it arrives.
Lp85253 and mpk1970 like this.

Last edited by KSpan; 03-15-2019 at 03:52 PM.
post #704 of 890 Old 03-17-2019, 03:51 PM
Advanced Member

Short version: C2 is awesome, the hype is accurate, and the aesthetics aren't nearly as 'unusual' in person as the pictures can seem. If you're on the fence about the C2 or any of the AirMotiv products hop right off of it and grab some. I was a bit skeptical but am now a believer.

Been putting the C2 through its paces and man, it's just fantastic. Running it flat EQ from my Onkyo NR656 (no AccuEQ or otherwise) with manual distance measurement and crossed at 60 Hz. UHD BR via Prometheus, The Revenant, Fury, and Justice League w/ streaming Marvel movies, Heat (that outdoor gunfight...), Lincoln, and Love Death + Robots... the sound is so incredibly natural. Also did some demos with specific material that bugged me with the CLR 3000 and other centers, like the opening scene for the new season of House of Cards and the all-too-trebly Ozark mixes, and the C2 passes the test. Not so much that it 'fixes' the sounds but more that it's tolerable, more smooth than with the 3000. Music is similarly smooth and I don't detect any issues at all near the crossover points.

Regarding depth/extension, my go-to test is Steppenwolf's voice in Justice League; the C2 nails it. There's a little bit of rumble to it that adds a ton of character and the C2 picks it up perfectly. I have it crossed at 60 Hz but I feel like I could drop it to 50 or even 40 in my room if I was so inclined. Hemsworth's voice in Thor: Ragnarok has a similar type of gravel to it that the C2 captures perfectly.

If I wasn't already thrilled with my new M16s, which cost me much less than retail and are basically a perfect tonal match for the C2 given the flat response of each speaker, I would now be snagging the T1s at their clearout price.
kemac, Lp85253 and mpk1970 like this.

Last edited by KSpan; 03-17-2019 at 05:16 PM.
post #705 of 890 Old 03-17-2019, 06:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked: 219
I keep coming back to Emotiva. I was looking at the T1 Towers and C2 Center. Most have seen my other thread about my concern with using the 4Ohm speakers with my Denon X3400H. I received many differing opinions and thoughts between here and Emotiva Lounge, but Denon told me my receiver 4-6 Ohm and I'd have no issues playing Loud with my 3400H.

I started looking at the Ascend CMT-340 SE speakers for LCR. I'm 100% movies. Has anyone compared the Emotiva T1/C2 with the Ascend CMT-340 SEs?
post #706 of 890 Old 03-17-2019, 07:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybradley View Post
I keep coming back to Emotiva. I was looking at the T1 Towers and C2 Center. Most have seen my other thread about my concern with using the 4Ohm speakers with my Denon X3400H. I received many differing opinions and thoughts between here and Emotiva Lounge, but Denon told me my receiver 4-6 Ohm and I'd have no issues playing Loud with my 3400H.

I started looking at the Ascend CMT-340 SE speakers for LCR. I'm 100% movies. Has anyone compared the Emotiva T1/C2 with the Ascend CMT-340 SEs?
Don't sweat the resistance. My NR656 isn't '4-ohm rated' and it doesn't even get warm; these are efficient speakers. For movies in particular I think the oomph of the Emotivas vs the leaner, but still very good, sound of the Ascends will serve you well.

Last edited by KSpan; 03-17-2019 at 07:32 PM.
post #707 of 890 Old 03-17-2019, 07:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSpan View Post
Don't sweat the resistance. My NR656 isn't '4-ohm rated' and it doesn't even get warm; these are efficient speakers. For movies in particular I think the oomph of the Emotivas vs the leaner, but still very good, sound of the Ascends will serve you well.
The "Oomph" is what I'm really looking for with a Center Channel
post #708 of 890 Old 03-17-2019, 08:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The "Oomph" is what I'm really looking for with a Center Channel
You'll get it with the C2, I've no doubt.
post #709 of 890 Old 03-20-2019, 02:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:

I was also afraid of that but after tons of reading the conclusion is that no need to worry about this, any midrange AVR from big brands will be fine. If I know right then Emotiva (and few others too) is listing the minimum impedance while many manufacturers are listing 6 or 8 Ohm by laziness.

I know it's a different brand but only this one was in my mind who is listing like this.

NOMINAL IMPEDANCE
8 Ohms (min.3.7 Ohms)

So I think that's the case with Emotiva too, listing the minimum.
post #710 of 890 Old 03-20-2019, 03:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Short version: C2 is awesome, the hype is accurate, and the aesthetics aren't nearly as 'unusual' in person as the pictures can seem. If you're on the fence about the C2 or any of the AirMotiv products hop right off of it and grab some. I was a bit skeptical but am now a believer.

Been putting the C2 through its paces and man, it's just fantastic. Running it flat EQ from my Onkyo NR656 (no AccuEQ or otherwise) with manual distance measurement and crossed at 60 Hz. UHD BR via Prometheus, The Revenant, Fury, and Justice League w/ streaming Marvel movies, Heat (that outdoor gunfight...), Lincoln, and Love Death + Robots... the sound is so incredibly natural. Also did some demos with specific material that bugged me with the CLR 3000 and other centers, like the opening scene for the new season of House of Cards and the all-too-trebly Ozark mixes, and the C2 passes the test. Not so much that it 'fixes' the sounds but more that it's tolerable, more smooth than with the 3000. Music is similarly smooth and I don't detect any issues at all near the crossover points.

Regarding depth/extension, my go-to test is Steppenwolf's voice in Justice League; the C2 nails it. There's a little bit of rumble to it that adds a ton of character and the C2 picks it up perfectly. I have it crossed at 60 Hz but I feel like I could drop it to 50 or even 40 in my room if I was so inclined. Hemsworth's voice in Thor: Ragnarok has a similar type of gravel to it that the C2 captures perfectly.

If I wasn't already thrilled with my new M16s, which cost me much less than retail and are basically a perfect tonal match for the C2 given the flat response of each speaker, I would now be snagging the T1s at their clearout price.
Me really like some of that C2 magic potion
KSpan likes this.

post #711 of 890 Old 03-20-2019, 03:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatallerror View Post
I was also afraid of that but after tons of reading the conclusion is that no need to worry about this, any midrange AVR from big brands will be fine. If I know right then Emotiva (and few others too) is listing the minimum impedance while many manufacturers are listing 6 or 8 Ohm by laziness.

I know it's a different brand but only this one was in my mind who is listing like this.

NOMINAL IMPEDANCE
8 Ohms (min.3.7 Ohms)

I believe the nominal for Emotiva is 4 with a minimum of 2 Ohms.
post #712 of 890 Old 03-20-2019, 03:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatallerror View Post

NOMINAL IMPEDANCE
8 Ohms (min.3.7 Ohms)

From Emotiva's Website, showing 4 Ohm is the Nominal.

Electrical Specifications
Efficiency: 88 dB (2.83V/1m).

Power handling: 150W continuous / 300W peak.

Recommended amplifier power: 75W – 350W / channel.

Nominal impedance: 4 ohms.

Frequency response: 37 Hz – 28 kHz (+3/-3 dB).

Crossover (midrange / tweeter): 2700 Hz, 12 dB / octave.

Crossover (woofer / midrange): 275 Hz, 12 dB / octave.

Dual speaker terminals for bi-amping or bi-wiring.
post #713 of 890 Old 03-21-2019, 11:58 PM

Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
From Emotiva's Website, showing 4 Ohm is the Nominal.

Electrical Specifications
Efficiency: 88 dB (2.83V/1m).

Power handling: 150W continuous / 300W peak.

Recommended amplifier power: 75W – 350W / channel.

Nominal impedance: 4 ohms.

Frequency response: 37 Hz – 28 kHz (+3/-3 dB).

Crossover (midrange / tweeter): 2700 Hz, 12 dB / octave.

Crossover (woofer / midrange): 275 Hz, 12 dB / octave.

Dual speaker terminals for bi-amping or bi-wiring.
Yeah right, still, no need to worry about that. Most people are using these with the usual mid-range AVRs as you can read in this thread.
post #714 of 890 Old 04-17-2019, 05:13 PM
Advanced Member

Am I just unobservant or did the T2s very recently drop to $799?
post #715 of 890 Old 04-17-2019, 05:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
sure looks like it .. smokin' deal...

post #716 of 890 Old 04-17-2019, 07:47 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
. They dropped because they just announced a T2+ is coming. It’s in their forum. Not sure when.
KSpan and Lp85253 like this.
post #717 of 890 Old 04-18-2019, 02:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Its weird that the price of Emotiva's speakers are dropping but the prices of the BasX amps and receivers is going up. That's the supply chain for you.
post #718 of 890 Old 04-18-2019, 03:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgarc View Post
Its weird that the price of Emotiva's speakers are dropping but the prices of the BasX amps and receivers is going up. That's the supply chain for you.
tells me that there is a new batch of speakers(models) on the way ... probably some fun tweaks ... emo makes good speakers for the price , close out stuff is a steal , imo.....
mpk1970 likes this.

post #719 of 890 Old 04-18-2019, 03:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnydel2 View Post
. They dropped because they just announced a T2+ is coming. It’s in their forum. Not sure when.
Gosh dam those bastards --- shall a man and his money always part on these forums??

Do you have link to announcement?

Last edited by mpk1970; 04-18-2019 at 03:19 PM.
post #720 of 890 Old 04-18-2019, 03:51 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpk1970 View Post
Gosh dam those bastards --- shall a man and his money always part on these forums??

Do you have link to announcement?
this looks to be the first it's mentioned on their forums that I could find.

http://emotivalounge.proboards.com/t...crollTo=987406
wnydel2 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Emotiva , Emotiva Audio Corporation

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page