Official Selah Audio Owner's Thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 48Likes

post #271 of 352 Old 04-19-2012, 05:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

Rick...are there any owners of your speakers with RAAL tweeters in the Los Angeles area?

Yes there are as well as some owners in the SF Bay area.

Selah Audio

Thinking Inside the Box...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 352 Old 04-19-2012, 07:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saeyedoc View Post

Any photos of a black Tempestra on a stand?
Any actual photos of the Arcus or pricing yet?

The Tempesta in gloss black is on the site but not on a stand. The Grandeur shares the same cabinet and can be seen here on a stand http://www.selahaudio.com/id192.html

Arcus? Not sure which one you mean - please clarify.

Selah Audio

post #273 of 352 Old 04-19-2012, 07:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Craig View Post

The Tempesta in gloss black is on the site but not on a stand. The Grandeur shares the same cabinet and can be seen here on a stand http://www.selahaudio.com/id192.html

Arcus? Not sure which one you mean - please clarify.

Thanks.
My bad, the Arcus is a Vapor offering.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #274 of 352 Old 04-20-2012, 05:10 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kip_ View Post

Someone should do some pro-bono web design for Rick and Bring his website out of the 90s..

HEAR HEAR!

Same goes for Jed's site!

I could set them up with a nice joomla virtuemart site with all of their product and swag in days...

Unbeknown customers don't purchase simply because of how the website looks.

One can only imagine the number these guys could do if they really knew how to cleanup their sites/marketing/logo/ slash slash...

perhaps they don't want to do the big numbers/production thing...

I don't blame them one iota if this is the case.

I dunno how related the CBT36 is to Selah but I just finished reading the assembly manual/plans.

Don Keele those are the ABSOLUTE BEST PLANS I have ever read. You placed so much effort and have gone to such lengths to explain the entire process of building the CBT36s the manual alone has sold me.

Kudos Don for what is IMHO the best DIY plans in HISTORY!

It's perfect for an idiot like me to understand!

CHECK THIS OUT

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...umber=301-980#

And for a list of Selah products...

http://www.selahaudio.com/id268.html

Don even teaches the builder the fine art of inter-part connections and winding leads. I just can't get over the completeness of the plans and the attention to detail regarding guiding the builder through the process...

Those plans would make Heathkit BLUSH!

PS he even tells you how to strip the wires to the 1/8" LOL Don your a madman! and we just love you for it!
post #275 of 352 Old 04-20-2012, 03:17 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:

Yes there are as well as some owners in the SF Bay area.

Thanks Rick.

If you can, let the LA area owners I'd like to listen. Nothing hardcore, just would like to check them out.

-curtis
Owner of Wavecrest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!
post #276 of 352 Old 02-06-2013, 07:51 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello... any Selah owners in Arizona/Phoenix Area?
post #277 of 352 Old 02-07-2013, 07:16 AM
Advanced Member

Yes there are owners in Phoenix. Send me a PM or email and I can help.

Selah Audio

post #278 of 352 Old 03-20-2013, 04:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Another pair of Tempesta's in the wild. Finally getting some time in with them, and liking it.

Great dispersion when off axis and the driver integration is remarkable. I've heard two others that compare, one is 2x + the price if memory serves, and the other is a one off (as far as I know) derived from a short lived model of another smaller company.
post #279 of 352 Old 05-10-2013, 08:54 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16

Posted this review over on AC, but thought I would also paste it here.

So I've had these Selah Prestigio for about a week now. I haven't done as much listening as I'd like, but these are awesome speakers and a tremendous value compared to the stuff I have heard in B&M audio shops. I don't consider myself an audiophile at all, but I appreciate good sound and tend to get "stuck" on negative acoustic attributes in speakers. My current system includes a pair of Emotiva UPA-1 amps, a Parasound 2100 pre(feeding high-pass [>80hz] to UPA-1's), Emotiva XDA-2 D/A, dual Epik Empire subs, Oppo 983 CD player and a PC. Interconnects are BJC LC-1 and speaker wires are Monoprice 12 AWG. I guess one can say that all of this is entry level stuff, and I would agree. But I'm 24, in school full time, and this system is my first foray into audio so I consider it a "starter" system if you will. Prior to purchasing these speakers I had Paradigm Signature v.1 paired with the same equipment. I loved the detailed highs and lush midrange of the Paradigms. The thing that bothered me was the sibilance in the SSSS, FFFF, TTT sounds. It was piercingly painful at high SPLs on some tracks. What I wanted was a speaker that could render all of the detail that the Paradigms did, but without the bright character. I always thought that bright sound and high end clarity/detail were two convergent characteristics and one had to choose a trade off point.

How I decided on Selah: A couple of months ago, I auditioned 2 pairs of Salks with ribbon tweeters from a very nice AC member who let 2 total strangers(buddy and I) come into his home to listen to speakers. He had a pair of Song Towers(LCY ribbon tweeter) and a pair of HT2-TL's that he had bought to replace the Song Towers. The one sentence version of my thoughts are that the Song Towers would be a downgrade from my Paradigm Signatures but the HT2-TL had more clarity and detail than my Paradigms minus the brightness, which was exactly what I was looking for. The HT2-TL was about double what I could spend on a pair of speakers. About 6 months after that audition, I came across Selah. From the website it seemed like Selah and Salk were very similar. Initially, I emailed Rick expressing interest in his Tanzanites. While exchanging emails he recommended, among others, the Prestigio as an alternative to the Tanzanites based on my listening habits. I wasn't even aware these existed as there wasn't a link to the Prestigio page anywhere on his site at the time. I did some Googling and was amazed to find that these speaker used almost identical drivers as the HT2-TL that I could not afford. After a few more emails, I decided to go for the Prestigios, hoping that they would sound as good as the Salk HT2's.

Now for my unaudiophile impressions from a short few hours of listening: It's been a while since I heard the Salks, but if memory serves correct the Prestigios are every bit as detailed, airy and neutral. They portray every guitar strum, cymbal strike with the realism of an unamplified live performance in a small venue. The sibilance of the Paradigms is simply gone. This is a bit of an audio cliche, but I really hear nuances in very familiar recordings that I haven't heard with my Paradigms. I don't know whether this is possible from a speaker change alone, but I am pretty confident in saying that stereo separation is also much better. The imaging is awesome. In some instances, it sounded like sound was coming from behind the listening position. I'm not sure whether that is good or bad, but I never experienced it before in my room listening with only two speakers.

I can't believe I have these speakers! From my experience of the Salks and other high end stuff I have heard in audio shops, I thought that sound this good was way out of my reach as of now. I wasn't sure if buying speakers that I have never heard was a wise decision, but I'm glad I did it.
post #280 of 352 Old 05-11-2013, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Wouldnt be suprised that these sound very good.
post #281 of 352 Old 09-23-2013, 08:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 252
I just ordered a Tanzanite kit. I plan on following up with a Sardonyx. It will be fun.
post #282 of 352 Old 09-26-2013, 05:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

post #283 of 352 Old 05-08-2015, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member

Some new builds...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00817.JPG
Views:	211
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	706970   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ancora1.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	174.7 KB
ID:	706978   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ancora2.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	213.6 KB
ID:	706986  

Selah Audio

post #284 of 352 Old 05-21-2015, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Some new builds...
I like the looks of that tower. Is that a Morel driver I see (carbon fiber)?

German Cars, German Beer, German Guns.......Italian Motorcycles.

Pre/Pro: Emotiva XMC-1 - Power: Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2 - LCR: DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4T SE & 4CC - Surrounds: Mirage OMD-5 - Sub: DIY Dayton Audio - Sources: PS3 - XBox One - DIY HTPC
post #285 of 352 Old 05-21-2015, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I can't believe it went almost 2 years between posts on this thread.

These are some seriously well designed and engineered speakers with premium top notch drivers at a more than fair price (none other than Dennis Murphy himself mentioned as much on another thread), and they should command more attention here on AVS than they get.
DS-21 and Knucklehead90 like this.
post #286 of 352 Old 05-21-2015, 06:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 134LRS View Post
I like the looks of that tower. Is that a Morel driver I see (carbon fiber)?
Yes, the titanium version midrange and it's exceptionally nice!

Selah Audio

post #287 of 352 Old 05-29-2015, 03:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65 Electra Glide View Post
I can't believe it went almost 2 years between posts on this thread.
I can't believe I have had my Tanzanites for almost 2 years! I still think of them as my new speakers.
post #288 of 352 Old 05-29-2015, 03:50 PM
The Village Idiot

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 781 Post(s)
Liked: 728
I didn't know this thread even existed until today. I'm the owner of a custom made Selah Audio center speaker. It was custom made to match a pair of Salk SongTowers. It is a three way design which is why the previous owner had it made - he didn't like the idea of a 2 way center channel speaker. It sounds outstanding - and of course is beautifully made - it looks every bit as good as it sounds. Best center speaker I've owned to date. It uses the same OW2 tweeter as the ST's and matches very well for timbre. I doubt I'll be looking for a new set of speakers any time soon - I'm very happy with the current setup. 2 channel is my main focus but I don't want to give up any sound quality when I switch to multi-channel. Surrounds are Emotiva ERD dipole/bipoles.

Yamaha A-S1000 Int. Amp - Salk SongTowers - Oppo 103 - Marantz TT42 - Emo XDA-2 DAC - (WWG1WGA)
Multi-Channel: Yamaha RX-A2070 - Custom One-Off Selah Audio Center - Emo ERD-1 Surrounds
Twas a woman who drove me to drink. I never had the decency to write and thank her ~ WC Fields
post #289 of 352 Old 09-14-2015, 03:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Does anyone in SF Bay Area owns either Tempesta or Verita?

I really want to compare them with Ascend Sierra-2, BMR Philharmonitor and Salk SoundScape M7

(I own both Sierra-2 and B&W 805 Diamond and wouldn't mind hosting to have a demo session one of these weekends)

5.2.4 HT - Sony XBR75X850C, Denon X4400H, Monitor Audio GS60, GSLCR, GSFX, C380LCR x4 and Martin Logan Descent I x2
2 Channel - Ascend Sierra Tower w/ RAAL, Sony HAP-Z1ES, Marantz SA-KI-Pearl, Primaluna Dialogue Three, Parasound Halo A21, JL Audio CR1, JL Audio E112 and ATS Acoustics room treatments
post #290 of 352 Old 10-26-2015, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Echoing Justhinking's post from 9-14-15. I'm hoping an SF Bay Area Tempesta or Verita owner would be willing to indulge in a brief audition. Happy to provide contact info upon request. Thanks.
post #291 of 352 Old 10-27-2015, 05:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howardk52 View Post
Echoing Justhinking's post from 9-14-15. I'm hoping an SF Bay Area Tempesta or Verita owner would be willing to indulge in a brief audition. Happy to provide contact info upon request. Thanks.
Here's a list of all California owner locations, some in your area. I can contact them if needed, and we also have a 45-day return policy on standard (and some custom) finishes.

Sunnyvale, Santa Cruz, Woodside, Garden Grove, San Francisco, Redwood City, Monte Sereno, and Los Angeles.

Selah Audio

post #292 of 352 Old 06-26-2016, 06:50 PM
Advanced Member

Center Channel Array

Something different...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Array CC2.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	166.2 KB
ID:	1516690  
rec head likes this.

Selah Audio

post #293 of 352 Old 04-19-2018, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Well I suppose AC is the place for Selah Audio, but I figured I'd post here as well.

I got bored with my KEF LS50s and got tired of trying to integrate them properly with a pair of Velodyne SPL subwoofers for good full range sound. Instead of spending thousands on a transparent active crossover, I'm going back to the drawing board.

I would have liked to put the LS50s on surround duty, but I don't have the funds to upgrade to Blade 2's or Reference 3/5 at the moment, so I'm selling them and re-thinking my system.

I was looking at the BMR Philharmonitor as an alternative, but I think I've found an even better (albeit more expensive option from Selah).

I had Rick build me a custom Center Channel to match my GR Research Diluceo speakers just over a decade ago and was really pleased with his work, so I'm thinking I'll be going with another custom Selah design.

Here's the Center he built me in 2006 (I think?) That system (along with the GR Research Diluceos) got sold off when my daughter was born almost 2 years ago, and I also downsized my main system to the LS50s at the same time.

We've been going over a few options, but I think I'll be going with a custom version of his Fedele 3-way monitors. They use the SB Satori 5" midrange, and Scan-Speak beryllium tweeter. They typically use the 6.5" SB Acoutics carbon fiber - Rohacell woofer, but mine will be a custom version with a slightly larger cabinet using an 8" woofer to get solid extension down to -3dB point in the mid 30's. I demo'd the Bryston Mini T at a local store last week and was very impressed with the bass performance that's possible from a large 3-way monitor and I'm thinking that these should easily exceed the performance of the Bryston monitors. Integrating the pair of Velodyne SPL stereo subs shouldn't be as much of an issue as these will likely run full range most of the time.

These are the standard Fedele (with the 6.5" SB carbon-rohacell woofer)

Main System: Vizio P70 4K TV. Selah Vigore Speakers. KEF Q100 Rear L/R, Mirage BPS 400 LFE Sub. (2x)Rythmik FM8 Subs. Denon AVR-X4500H Receiver. Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Integrated (2 channel). Oppo BDP-103. Zappiti Mini 4K HDR. GIK 242 Panels, Tri Traps, Monster Bass Trap. Various Vicoustic Desktop: Dynaudio BM6A mkII. Paradigm SUB10 w/ PBK. Cambridge DACMagic+ DAC. GIK 242 Panels, Monster Bass Trap Master Bedroom: Vizio M55 4K HDR. BG Radia In-Wall/Ceiling Speakers (5.2.2). NAD T758v3 Receiver
post #294 of 352 Old 04-19-2018, 07:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked: 1476
Interesting. I was just looking at the Selah site last night. His new Tempestas look intriguing, sort of a blend of the BMR Philharmoniter and the Salk Song3A. I’m betting they sound fantastic.

HT: Sony 940C, Oppo 203, Harman/Kardon DPR1001, Infinity Interlude IL40 x2, Infinity Interlude IL36C, Infinity MS-1 ii x2, Infinity MSW-1
Computer: Elac Uni-Fi UB5 x2, Elac Element EA101EQ integrated amp, SVS SB-12NSD
Dedicated 2-channel: Infinity Intermezzo 4.1t towers, Bluesound Node 2, Emotiva PT-100, Crown XLS 1502, Furman PL-8C
post #295 of 352 Old 04-19-2018, 08:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I am really happy with the Selahs that I built from kits and that is 13 speakers. I didn't make it to AXPONA this year but the previous 2 years the thing that made me the happiest was that I liked my L/R Selah's as much as anything else in the $10,000 range. I forget what I paid for the kits but it was nothing close to $10,000.
post #296 of 352 Old 04-19-2018, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by rec head View Post
I am really happy with the Selahs that I built from kits and that is 13 speakers. I didn't make it to AXPONA this year but the previous 2 years the thing that made me the happiest was that I liked my L/R Selah's as much as anything else in the $10,000 range. I forget what I paid for the kits but it was nothing close to $10,000.
Can you share some more details about your mains and may be some pics 🙂
post #297 of 352 Old 04-19-2018, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuteTibiImperes View Post
Interesting. I was just looking at the Selah site last night. His new Tempestas look intriguing, sort of a blend of the BMR Philharmoniter and the Salk Song3A. I’m betting they sound fantastic.
I was drooling over the Tempesta a little bit, but they're a little too rich for my blood at the moment. I'm stretching just a bit for the Fedele, but I think they'll be fantastic. Also, I've already owned very good speakers with ribbon tweeters in the past, but I've yet to own anything with beryllium tweeters, and I'm all about variety.

Currently I have Dynaudio BM6A mkII active monitors with Esotec soft dome tweeters in my desktop system, a GoldenEar 3D Array X with AMT tweeters in my living room, Polk LSi9's (w/ upgraded crossoves) with Vifa ring radiator tweeters in my bedroom system, and now I'll be moving from my KEF LS50's to the Selah's in my main system.

Rick describes the Fedele as: "Insanely good 6.5" 3-way with an SB Acoutics carbon fiber - Rohacell woofer, SB Satori 5" midrange, and Scan-Speak beryllium tweeter. A lower cost alternative to the Tempesta and a very good value."

Main System: Vizio P70 4K TV. Selah Vigore Speakers. KEF Q100 Rear L/R, Mirage BPS 400 LFE Sub. (2x)Rythmik FM8 Subs. Denon AVR-X4500H Receiver. Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Integrated (2 channel). Oppo BDP-103. Zappiti Mini 4K HDR. GIK 242 Panels, Tri Traps, Monster Bass Trap. Various Vicoustic Desktop: Dynaudio BM6A mkII. Paradigm SUB10 w/ PBK. Cambridge DACMagic+ DAC. GIK 242 Panels, Monster Bass Trap Master Bedroom: Vizio M55 4K HDR. BG Radia In-Wall/Ceiling Speakers (5.2.2). NAD T758v3 Receiver
post #298 of 352 Old 04-19-2018, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elessar29 View Post
Can you share some more details about your mains and may be some pics 🙂
Here's the build thread: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...ite-build.html
post #299 of 352 Old 04-19-2018, 03:52 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for reviving the thread here. I have too many online places to manage

I'm working on a 3-way design using the same imported cabinet as the Philharmonic BMR. It will consist of a 6.5" ceramic cone woofer, 2" dome midrange, and ribbon tweeter. The cost will be $1,500/pr. including shipping to the mainland USA. Right now just the cherry finish is available but I will have one pair in gloss black for sale. I'm waiting to hear back from the supplier concerning their delivery time on the gloss black option. We can also build a standard rectangular cabinet here in the USA with your choice of veneer for an additional cost.

Selah Audio

post #300 of 352 Old 04-25-2018, 06:16 PM
Advanced Member

Lone Star Audio Fest May 4-6

Come visit the Selah Audio room at the Dallas,Tx show May 4-6. Attendance is free!

http://lonestaraudiofest.com/

Selah Audio

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page