Official Selah Audio Owner's Thread - Page 11 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 48Likes

post #301 of 352 Old 05-28-2018, 08:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Thumbs up "Ceramica"

Hey everyone,

Rick built a pair of "Ceramica" towers for me and I took delivery of them sometime last month. I have actually been in the process of moving into a new home, so I haven't been able to post my thoughts/impressions on the speakers, which they certainly deserve.

First, Rick is a class act to deal with and do business with, and I can't say enough good things about him or recommend him enough to anyone who is considering one of his builds. I had purchased a set of 4 "Tonos" from him previously for my father, and I knew I wanted him to make me my own set of speakers when I was ready.. Rick kept in touch with me throughout the process, he responded to e-mails promptly, answered probably a few dozen questions from me, and he stuck to the lead time he and I originally discussed.

Speakers: I previously owned almost entirely Ascend products, the Sierra Towers, Sierra Bookshelves 1 & 2, and I used the Horizons as mains for a while. Absolutely loved everything I owned from them, so I certainly cannot take anything away from them. Simply put, I asked Rick to make me something that could beat out any pair of speakers I ever had, and he most certainly delivered. I love the "airy" sound of ribbon tweeters, coupled with a nice neutral sound. Rick gave me just that, and put together a pair of speakers that exceeded my expectations. I've found myself listening to more music than I typically do, only because I really enjoy the Ceramicas that much. Two things I've noticed about them which have really stood out: First, they sound absolutely perfect without a subwoofer. Granted, having the sub on does make a difference, but they just don't need it.. They sound full, and certainly don't lack anywhere that leaves me wanting more. And secondly, the way it literally sounds as if the sound is coming directly from the center speaker, even though it is not utilized in stereo mode, has left me speechless. I haven't ever been able to really "localize" the sound from them, they just blend and image perfectly. I mostly use them for TV/HT in a now nearly 4500 cubic foot room, and again, I have nothing more to desire. The build quality is superb, I went with a very simple black finish which for me is exactly what I wanted. The speakers are very heavy, they have a great base which gives me peace of mind, and it is evident the speakers were very well built.

In fact, I loved them so much, I put a deposit last week for Rick to build me a center speaker with matching drivers for the Ceramicas, and I can't wait to integrate them into my system! I am not familiar with every "ID" brand out there, I've really only been loyal to one brand before Selah, but from the research I've done, I am not sure that at this price point, and the quality of speakers Rick is putting out, anything else can compete.

Thanks again Rick, looking forward to my center.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ceramisca1.jpeg
Views:	134
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	2408896   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ceramica3.jpeg
Views:	94
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	2408898   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ceramica2.jpeg
Views:	92
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	2408900  
Nick V likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 352 Old 05-28-2018, 08:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
So you are the owner of those beautiful Ceramicas that I saw elsewhere? Congrats, even on paper those drivers make for an impressive combination. That plus Rick's years of experience with crossovers means those Ceramica towers will sing for you for a long time. Selah is right up there with the best of the best ID has to offer.
post #303 of 352 Old 05-29-2018, 05:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Rick Craig from Selah Audio just sent me this picture of my finished cabinets with drivers mounted from his cabinetmaker.

What started as a modified version of his "Fedele" 3-way monitor has now turned into the "Vigore"

Rick still needs to work out the crossover, but I can't wait to have them in my system!

Main System: Vizio P70 4K TV. Selah Vigore Speakers. KEF Q100 Rear L/R, Mirage BPS 400 LFE Sub. (2x)Rythmik FM8 Subs. Denon AVR-X4500H Receiver. Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Integrated (2 channel). Oppo BDP-103. Zappiti Mini 4K HDR. GIK 242 Panels, Tri Traps, Monster Bass Trap. Various Vicoustic Desktop: Dynaudio BM6A mkII. Paradigm SUB10 w/ PBK. Cambridge DACMagic+ DAC. GIK 242 Panels, Monster Bass Trap Master Bedroom: Vizio M55 4K HDR. BG Radia In-Wall/Ceiling Speakers (5.2.2). NAD T758v3 Receiver

Last edited by Nick V; 05-31-2018 at 07:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #304 of 352 Old 06-19-2018, 10:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick V View Post
Rick Craig from Selah Audio just sent me this picture of my finished cabinets with drivers mounted from his cabinetmaker.

What started as a modified version of his "Fedele" 3-way monitor has now turned into the "Vigore"

Rick still needs to work out the crossover, but I can't wait to have them in my system!

New pictures...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Vigore3.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	687.7 KB
ID:	2418402   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vigore5.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	1.43 MB
ID:	2418404   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vigore6.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	876.0 KB
ID:	2418406  
DS-21 likes this.

Selah Audio

Thinking Inside the Box...
post #305 of 352 Old 06-20-2018, 08:23 AM

^^ Those are awesome
post #306 of 352 Old 06-27-2018, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

Well, they finally arrived yesterday!!

I'll post more once I've had a little more time with them.

So far I've only listened to a few cuts from Norah Jones, Dire Straits and Pink Floyd on SACD, but they're already sounding great out of the box! Great image height, width and depth. Pinpoint imaging center fill as well. These things dig deep with authority for bookshelf speakers (huge ones)!! They seem play significantly lower with more authority than my Paradigm Studio 100v5's did, and they were large floorstanders with significantly more cone area.

They're a clear step up over my previous KEF LS50, and also a step up over my old Paradigm Studio 100v5.

I am getting a little bit of "boomyness" in the bass, despite my room treatments. This is placement and room related and that's what the miniDSP DDRC-22D is for. I haven't had a chance to take measurements yet, but I'll get around to it this weekend hopefully and create a couple custom curves with the miniDSP.

rec head likes this.

Main System: Vizio P70 4K TV. Selah Vigore Speakers. KEF Q100 Rear L/R, Mirage BPS 400 LFE Sub. (2x)Rythmik FM8 Subs. Denon AVR-X4500H Receiver. Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Integrated (2 channel). Oppo BDP-103. Zappiti Mini 4K HDR. GIK 242 Panels, Tri Traps, Monster Bass Trap. Various Vicoustic Desktop: Dynaudio BM6A mkII. Paradigm SUB10 w/ PBK. Cambridge DACMagic+ DAC. GIK 242 Panels, Monster Bass Trap Master Bedroom: Vizio M55 4K HDR. BG Radia In-Wall/Ceiling Speakers (5.2.2). NAD T758v3 Receiver
post #307 of 352 Old 06-27-2018, 08:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1306 Post(s)
Liked: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick V View Post
Well, they finally arrived yesterday!!

I'll post more once I've had a little more time with them.

So far I've only listened to a few cuts from Norah Jones, Dire Straits and Pink Floyd on SACD, but they're already sounding great out of the box! Great image height, width and depth. Pinpoint imaging center fill as well. These things dig deep with authority for bookshelf speakers (huge ones)!! They seem play significantly lower with more authority than my Paradigm Studio 100v5's did, and they were large floorstanders with significantly more cone area.

They're a clear step up over my previous KEF LS50, and also a step up over my old Paradigm Studio 100v5.

I am getting a little bit of "boomyness" in the bass, despite my room treatments. This is placement and room related and that's what the miniDSP DDRC-22D is for. I haven't had a chance to take measurements yet, but I'll get around to it this weekend hopefully and create a couple custom curves with the miniDSP.

Great look in setup. Can i ask what type (brand) AV cabinet that is?

Selling in AVS Classifieds
Revel Studio2 Pair - gloss black
post #308 of 352 Old 06-28-2018, 08:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhuski View Post
Great look in setup. Can i ask what type (brand) AV cabinet that is?
Thanks!

It's not an audiophile unit by any means. I struggled to find a unit wide enough that could hold all of my gear without costing $2k+.

I eventually found this one on Wayfair.ca

Seems like it's probably built by an OEM. I've seen it under the Hokku Designs and Innovex brands, but it seems to be the same unit. 83" wide.
madhuski likes this.

post #309 of 352 Old 07-05-2018, 08:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MbA7601 View Post
Hey everyone,

Rick built a pair of "Ceramica" towers for me and I took delivery of them sometime last month. I have actually been in the process of moving into a new home, so I haven't been able to post my thoughts/impressions on the speakers, which they certainly deserve.

First, Rick is a class act to deal with and do business with, and I can't say enough good things about him or recommend him enough to anyone who is considering one of his builds. I had purchased a set of 4 "Tonos" from him previously for my father, and I knew I wanted him to make me my own set of speakers when I was ready.. Rick kept in touch with me throughout the process, he responded to e-mails promptly, answered probably a few dozen questions from me, and he stuck to the lead time he and I originally discussed.

Speakers: I previously owned almost entirely Ascend products, the Sierra Towers, Sierra Bookshelves 1 & 2, and I used the Horizons as mains for a while. Absolutely loved everything I owned from them, so I certainly cannot take anything away from them. Simply put, I asked Rick to make me something that could beat out any pair of speakers I ever had, and he most certainly delivered. I love the "airy" sound of ribbon tweeters, coupled with a nice neutral sound. Rick gave me just that, and put together a pair of speakers that exceeded my expectations. I've found myself listening to more music than I typically do, only because I really enjoy the Ceramicas that much. Two things I've noticed about them which have really stood out: First, they sound absolutely perfect without a subwoofer. Granted, having the sub on does make a difference, but they just don't need it.. They sound full, and certainly don't lack anywhere that leaves me wanting more. And secondly, the way it literally sounds as if the sound is coming directly from the center speaker, even though it is not utilized in stereo mode, has left me speechless. I haven't ever been able to really "localize" the sound from them, they just blend and image perfectly. I mostly use them for TV/HT in a now nearly 4500 cubic foot room, and again, I have nothing more to desire. The build quality is superb, I went with a very simple black finish which for me is exactly what I wanted. The speakers are very heavy, they have a great base which gives me peace of mind, and it is evident the speakers were very well built.

In fact, I loved them so much, I put a deposit last week for Rick to build me a center speaker with matching drivers for the Ceramicas, and I can't wait to integrate them into my system! I am not familiar with every "ID" brand out there, I've really only been loyal to one brand before Selah, but from the research I've done, I am not sure that at this price point, and the quality of speakers Rick is putting out, anything else can compete.

Mike
Shipping to you today
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ceramica CC1.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	2424662  
Nick V and rec head like this.

Selah Audio

post #310 of 352 Old 07-09-2018, 01:48 PM

Ceramica CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Craig View Post
Shipping to you today
Took delivery of the Ceramica Center earlier today, already loving it Sounds fantastic. Thank you Rick!
Nick V likes this.
post #311 of 352 Old 02-13-2019, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

Array Time

Something new in process...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Array1.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	803.7 KB
ID:	2525120   Click image for larger version

Name:	Array2.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	943.5 KB
ID:	2525122  

Selah Audio

post #312 of 352 Old 03-22-2019, 09:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I own a Denon 6500h. Do you think this would have enough power to drive a 5 speaker Cermica setup? I just don't know if the Denon can handle these speakers at 88 efficiency and 4 ohms. Thoughts?

Brian R. Smith
post #313 of 352 Old 03-22-2019, 09:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1613 Post(s)
Liked: 1227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bghead8che View Post
I own a Denon 6500h. Do you think this would have enough power to drive a 5 speaker Cermica setup? I just don't know if the Denon can handle these speakers at 88 efficiency and 4 ohms. Thoughts?

Depends on how loud you want it and at what distance. Usually most amps can run 4 ohm loads as long as you don’t turn them up to 11.

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
post #314 of 352 Old 03-22-2019, 09:46 PM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by MbA7601 View Post
Hey everyone,

Mike
Are those SB Acoustics ceramic drivers? That almost looks like a Revel F228Be with a RAAL tweeter
post #315 of 352 Old 03-25-2019, 07:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by driedmango View Post
Are those SB Acoustics ceramic drivers? That almost looks like a Revel F228Be with a RAAL tweeter
Bingo.

Selah Audio

post #316 of 352 Old 03-26-2019, 05:29 AM
Advanced Member

A new reference array.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC01964.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	410.3 KB
ID:	2544422   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01968.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	288.5 KB
ID:	2544424  
Nick V and gajCA like this.

Selah Audio

post #317 of 352 Old 03-26-2019, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
A new reference array.

Those are beautiful Rick!

What are the specs and how much lemonade do I need to sell to buy them?

post #318 of 352 Old 03-26-2019, 08:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1905 Post(s)
Liked: 2035
So is the main advantage of the Array set up sensitivity? What are the effects/improvements in horizontal dispersion? That is a lot of ribbon tweeters...

Set up #1: EMP e5Ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, SVS NSD SB12 sub, Marantz Slimeline 1504 AV receiver
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and EMPtek10i10i sub, Denon 1910 AV receiver
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only, Yamaha RXV-363 AV receiver
post #319 of 352 Old 03-26-2019, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post
So is the main advantage of the Array set up sensitivity? What are the effects/improvements in horizontal dispersion? That is a lot of ribbon tweeters...
As I understand it, for home use, a line array will have more consistent SPL throughout the listening area and result in greater direct sound from the system without as much reflective "interference" - resulting in greater clarity.

Display: Vizio P55-E1l Pre-pro: Marantz 7703; Amps: Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 1, H/K AVR 520 (direct in to amps); Sources: Sony UBP-X700; X-box 1 S; Technics 1200 Mk II; Win10 PC for digital; Phono Preamp: Emotiva XPS-1; Speakers - LR: Philharmonic BMR LR, Center: Emotiva Airmotiv C2; Surrounds: Wharfedale Reva-2; Rear Surrounds: Wharfedale Diamond 220; Atmos: TF - Monoprice Alpha 8; TR - BIC VI-38; Subwoofers: dual Rythmik L22s
post #320 of 352 Old 03-26-2019, 08:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg1 View Post

I'm going to hazard a guess of at LEAST $20k a pair.

Display: Vizio P55-E1l Pre-pro: Marantz 7703; Amps: Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 1, H/K AVR 520 (direct in to amps); Sources: Sony UBP-X700; X-box 1 S; Technics 1200 Mk II; Win10 PC for digital; Phono Preamp: Emotiva XPS-1; Speakers - LR: Philharmonic BMR LR, Center: Emotiva Airmotiv C2; Surrounds: Wharfedale Reva-2; Rear Surrounds: Wharfedale Diamond 220; Atmos: TF - Monoprice Alpha 8; TR - BIC VI-38; Subwoofers: dual Rythmik L22s
post #321 of 352 Old 03-26-2019, 02:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It's a sealed box design for a custom theater using subwoofers. You can also use the in a 2-channel system without subs by adding equalization via the DSP crossover (these are bi-amped). Typically 100-400 watts per channel, 4-ohm impedance, and 94dB sensitivity. Keep in mind that they only lose 3dB per doubling of distance in the nearfield versus 6dB for a conventional speaker. I clocked one at 100db / 1M distance with the MiniDSP volume at -24.5dB using an amp rated at 200 watts into 4-ohms.

$14-$15K/pair shipped to the CUSA depending on the veneer / finish.
Vergiliusm likes this.

Selah Audio

post #322 of 352 Old 03-26-2019, 08:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post
Higher output capability / sensitivity, lower distortion, greater dynamics, and lower compression. Vertical directivity is more narrow with minimized floor and ceiling reflections plus a loss of 3dB per doubling of distance in the nearfield versus 6dB for a conventional design. Horizontal coverage is dependent on the drivers used and crossover point / slopes.
Elihawk and BluesDaddy56 like this.

Selah Audio

post #323 of 352 Old 04-15-2019, 06:30 AM
Advanced Member

Come visit us the LSAF show in Dallas,Tx May 3-5.

http://lonestaraudiofest.com/
Nick V and overg like this.

Selah Audio

post #324 of 352 Old 04-23-2019, 07:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Come visit us the LSAF show in Dallas,Tx May 3-5.

http://lonestaraudiofest.com/
Come hear the Benchmark DAC3HGC and AHB2 driving the Ritorno monitors! We'll also have a bi-amped DSP line array, the Omaggio.

Selah Audio

post #325 of 352 Old 04-24-2019, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member

The Omaggio array...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CBT40-39.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	445.4 KB
ID:	2557694   Click image for larger version

Name:	CBT40-41.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	609.9 KB
ID:	2557696  

Selah Audio

post #326 of 352 Old 04-24-2019, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The Omaggio array...

These look even better than the last ones!

Do they perform any better? And how much do they cost?

post #327 of 352 Old 04-24-2019, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
These look even better than the last ones!

Do they perform any better? And how much do they cost?
$12,000/pair including shipping to the CUSA. This system doesn't have quite as much output but still packs a punch. It's difficult to compare the two designs as they are quite different. Feedback from the show will give you a better idea of what they can do.

Selah Audio

post #328 of 352 Old 04-24-2019, 08:17 PM
Advanced Member

Here's the Iluminismo tower. It's massive!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Illuminismo2.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	173.9 KB
ID:	2557890  
fatbulkexpanse likes this.

Selah Audio

post #329 of 352 Old 04-24-2019, 08:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Quite a speaker Rick. Got any pointers for someone who’d be interested in designing their own speaker from the ground up?

I’d like to build my own towers or line array in the near future, that’s why.

post #330 of 352 Old 04-25-2019, 02:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Damn!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page