Official Selah Audio Owner's Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 41Likes

post #31 of 345 Old 06-04-2008, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb View Post

I notice the sensitivity ratings of some of the Selah speakers seem a bit low. Do you guys have issues with getting higher volume levels without resorting to very high power levels?

They look like great speakers!

We try to be as accurate as possible with sensitivity ratings and our numbers are conservative. When Audio magazine was around they often found speakers to be 3-4db less sensitive than the manufacturer's rating. This spec is still often abused as well as others.

One way to tell if the truth is being told is to look at the woofer being used in a 2-way design. If it's rated at say 88db and the manufacturer claims a flat response in the 200hz to 2K region then the system should be rated at 85db or possibly less. With baffle step compensation in the crossover this is normal. If you see the system rated at 87-88db then it should raise a red flag.

Selah Audio

Thinking Inside the Box...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 345 Old 06-04-2008, 11:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Craig View Post

We try to be as accurate as possible with sensitivity ratings and our numbers are conservative. When Audio magazine was around they often found speakers to be 3-4db less sensitive than the manufacturer's rating. This spec is still often abused as well as others.

One way to tell if the truth is being told is to look at the woofer being used in a 2-way design. If it's rated at say 88db and the manufacturer claims a flat response in the 200hz to 2K region then the system should be rated at 85db or possibly less. With baffle step compensation in the crossover this is normal. If you see the system rated at 87-88db then it should raise a red flag.

Thanks!

BTW, Selah is a small town just outside Yakima, WA..
post #33 of 345 Old 06-04-2008, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kip_ View Post

Someone should do some pro-bono web design for Rick and Bring his website out of the 90s..

Hey I spend money on the speaker parts and not my website!

Seriously, I appreciate your input and maybe one day I'll get around to that.

Selah Audio

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 345 Old 06-04-2008, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

My biggest beef is that a) not all your speakers are listed and b) you can't click through to larger pictures... also perhaps have all your bookshelves and towers together and mention which ones come as kits and which ones come assembled...

edit: Also a more obvious link to AudioCircle's forums would be nice.
post #35 of 345 Old 06-04-2008, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Someone should do some pro-bono web design for Rick and Bring his website out of the 90s..

Haha, I second this. Perhaps a savy web designer is in need of some speakers and they could use the old-fashioned barter system. Seriously though, the website serves it's purpose, but it could definately be easier to use and more impressive looking.
post #36 of 345 Old 06-04-2008, 02:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

mention which ones come as kits and which ones come assembled...

All those speakers can be kits or assembled IIRC .
post #37 of 345 Old 06-05-2008, 07:37 AM

Quote:

Are the wall mounted surrounds on his website? What do they look like/what drivers?

MD7 8"X8"X12" tall
post #38 of 345 Old 06-05-2008, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikinokie View Post

MD7 8"X8"X12" tall

I found info on the the S7... Fountek Ribbon Tweeter and 7" Seas Excel Woofer... seems to match the Peridot. Nothing on these though.. what does MD stand for.

http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/i...?topic=37617.0
post #39 of 345 Old 06-05-2008, 09:11 AM

Quote:

I found info on the the S7... Fountek Ribbon Tweeter and 7" Seas Excel Woofer... seems to match the Peridot. Nothing on these though.. what does MD stand for.

http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/i...?topic=37617.0

Dunno, other than there's a reference to that cabinet at Madison (where I suppose Rick gets his parts) and also a picture. I asked Rick to send me dimensions and pic so I can build shelves for the surrounds he's making for me and that's what he sent.
post #40 of 345 Old 06-05-2008, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 15
double post
post #41 of 345 Old 06-05-2008, 07:02 PM

Quote:

I tried to offer you a website before, but it was before I ordered speakers from you so you may have thought I was just a telemarketer.. Anyway if you are interested I can help you out with no charge, as I'm trying to branch out my company into this vertical market.

Anyway on topic I am currently building a pair of Galenas, the crossovers that came with the kit are works of art, and the kit price was only slightly higher than the price of the components if I got them direct from madisound. While it is taking me some time to put together the cabinets, I had to figure out how to use a table saw properly (it's got to be a real clean cut for cabinet work).

Also, I've got a google sketchup 3d model of the Galena I did a couple of nights ago with the full parts breakdown, assembled view, and exploded view if anyone is interested.
post #42 of 345 Old 06-06-2008, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue1967 View Post

I tried to offer you a website before, but it was before I ordered speakers from you so you may have thought I was just a telemarketer.. Anyway if you are interested I can help you out with no charge, as I'm trying to branch out my company into this vertical market.

Anyway on topic I am currently building a pair of Galenas, the crossovers that came with the kit are works of art, and the kit price was only slightly higher than the price of the components if I got them direct from madisound. While it is taking me some time to put together the cabinets, I had to figure out how to use a table saw properly (it's got to be a real clean cut for cabinet work).

Also, I've got a google sketchup 3d model of the Galena I did a couple of nights ago with the full parts breakdown, assembled view, and exploded view if anyone is interested.

How about a pic of the crossover? I don't even know what they look like.
post #43 of 345 Old 06-06-2008, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

>Someone should do some pro-bono web design for Rick and Bring his website out of the 90s..

I actually asked Rick if he would mind me doing a free design mockup for him and he turned me down, I think he likes doing it himself.

This is what I originally had in mind when I said "pro bono" (that's a term that lawyers use to describe free work). Something that someone with a lot of skill could perhaps spend a weekend or two on. Very kind of you blue...
post #44 of 345 Old 06-06-2008, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikinokie View Post

How about a pic of the crossover? I don't even know what they look like.

I'm not sure Rick would appriciate that, as the crossover is pretty much what he sells.
post #45 of 345 Old 06-06-2008, 12:13 PM

Liked: 26
Man am I jelous,

I'm just in the process of building my first set of Ricks designs. I am lucky enough to assemble the first of "symmetricas" in Canada, and I can hardly wait. I work out of town quite a bit, so time is scarce. To make matters harder my wife and I raise Arabian horses and I have to tend to the ranch before she will let me play!! You guys are right about Rick, GREAT guy even to us Canucks!

Perry
post #46 of 345 Old 06-06-2008, 12:29 PM

That's interesting. What's a "symmetrica"? Something that sounds and looks symmetrical, i suppose?
post #47 of 345 Old 06-06-2008, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

post #48 of 345 Old 06-06-2008, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Sorry - I don't remember you mentioning that but feel free to email me with your ideas and the Google drawings.

Selah Audio

post #49 of 345 Old 06-07-2008, 11:05 PM

Quote:

I'm not sure Rick would appriciate that, as the crossover is pretty much what he sells.

Didn't realize the crossovers were proprietary.
post #50 of 345 Old 06-08-2008, 05:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I would love to see some "under construction" shots... I know nothing about speaker building but I still find it fascinating
post #51 of 345 Old 06-10-2008, 06:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm curious how do selah speakers measure up to the competition.
SSR vs salk song towers? Tanzanite vs salk ht1? RC4 vs ht3? SSR vs av123 Reference 1 ? SSR vs SVS MBS-1 ?
I'm very curious to read some in-depth comparisons with particular areas of advantage and disadvantage layed out, but I dont see any. People keep recommending those other speakers everywhere but no mention of selah.
post #52 of 345 Old 06-10-2008, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

I think one problem with doing comparisons is that so many of the speakers are sold as kits it's hard to do an apples to apples comparison, unless everyone follows the cabinet plans exactly and ends up with largely identical speakers. Also, I think there just aren't nearly as many Selah speakers made as Salk... certainly nowhere near as many as AV123 or SVS.

Also, the SA-1 matched the Onix Reference 1 in all categories except for tightness of bass... and the SA-1 is the SSR's little brother. Same tweeter and only slightly less capable woofer.

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue15/selahaudio.htm
post #53 of 345 Old 06-10-2008, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADOBHuK View Post

I'm curious how do selah speakers measure up to the competition.
SSR vs salk song towers? Tanzanite vs salk ht1? RC4 vs ht3? SSR vs av123 Reference 1 ? SSR vs SVS MBS-1 ?
I'm very curious to read some in-depth comparisons with particular areas of advantage and disadvantage layed out, but I dont see any. People keep recommending those other speakers everywhere but no mention of selah.

I was originally looking at the Salk HT1 etc. but the price of a 5.1 set was more than I could pull the trigger for. Someone mentioned Audio Circle and I stumbled on Selahs website that had very similar speakers for less $$$. Cabinets might not be as fancy but for what I'm paying for a 5.1 set of Tanzanites, Sardonyx etc. I can live with it. Can't find lots of reviews for the Selahs tho'. Found some with Dogpiles' search engine.
From what I can gather people are very impressed with the Tanzanites.
post #54 of 345 Old 06-10-2008, 07:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yeah I've read that comparison long time ago. In fact thats the one where I've read about selah for the first time and got interested in it. SA-1 had the superior treble according to the reviewer.
post #55 of 345 Old 06-11-2008, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADOBHuK View Post

All those speakers can be kits or assembled IIRC .

Yes, most everything we design is available in assembled or kit form.

Selah Audio

post #56 of 345 Old 06-11-2008, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I think one problem with doing comparisons is that so many of the speakers are sold as kits it's hard to do an apples to apples comparison, unless everyone follows the cabinet plans exactly and ends up with largely identical speakers. Also, I think there just aren't nearly as many Selah speakers made as Salk... certainly nowhere near as many as AV123 or SVS.

Also, the SA-1 matched the Onix Reference 1 in all categories except for tightness of bass... and the SA-1 is the SSR's little brother. Same tweeter and only slightly less capable woofer.

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue15/selahaudio.htm

Actually we do quite a bit of business and many of our customers are not posting all on forums but listening to their systems.

Unlike most other speaker companies that only sell assembled systems we have a variety services / products including custom design for HT and music systems, DIY kits, and of course assembled systems. When you combine all of this I'm sure we do a comparable amount of business to other custom manufacturers like Salk. Sure we're not as big as AV123 or SVS but I would rather stay more focused and specialized than become a larger volume company.

Selah Audio

post #57 of 345 Old 06-11-2008, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Glad to hear business is booming... it's just hard to get a grasp on the total figure. AudioCircle is pretty active but up until this thread there were maybe 60 posts mentioning Selah, ever.

Also, Cadobhuk, your thread about SSRs vs Sierra-1s was the reason I originally heard of Selah
post #58 of 345 Old 06-11-2008, 12:15 PM

Quote:

Glad to hear business is booming... it's just hard to get a grasp on the total figure. AudioCircle is pretty active but up until this thread there were maybe 60 posts mentioning Selah, ever.

Also, Cadobhuk, your thread about SSRs vs Sierra-1s was the reason I originally heard of Selah

Glad I heard of it, can't wait to get mine.
post #59 of 345 Old 06-11-2008, 05:51 PM

Here is a quick quiz for CADOBHuk: Which one of these speakers do you think sound the best?
LL
LL
post #60 of 345 Old 06-11-2008, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

Only ones out of those I recognize is the SSR... one of them looks vaguely like a Tanzanite... it's 2-way but looks like the same woofer. What are the rest?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page