Official Selah Audio Owner's Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 43Likes

post #61 of 349 Old 06-11-2008, 09:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well those big infinity ones probably sound the best?
Your SSR sure have huge ports..my ports are way smaller, and not flared. How does that affect the sound? Do your SSR have bigger cabinets than the measurements on the site say? It seems so to me from those photos.
That seas speaker also has a dome tweeter unlike Tanzanite's ribbon. The cabinets are smaller than tanzanite and the seas woofers are 5" and not 7.
Kitsum, how does the scan speak woofer compare to the seas one in your opinion? Is there a substantial amount of detail lost in the midrange?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 349 Old 06-12-2008, 01:07 AM

Liked: 14
From left to right:
Infinity IRS Sigma, Boston Acoustics Lynnfield 500L II, SSR, Seas+OWI mini.
The Infinities sound the more colored of the 4, but they are a pleasure to listen to, with lush and warm highs(not that extended) and mids, very clean but not that powerful bass, despite the 12" woofer.
BA and SSR sound very similar above 60hz, very flat and accurate, clean mids and extended highs, with the SSRs getting a node in soundstage and treble extension. The Boston bass Q is amazing.
The Seas-OWI is also flat and accurate, with a smaller sound stage but great imaging, but sounds a bit sterile and lifeless (colorless?) compared to the others, which is not a bad thing for monitor use.
Now all of these speakers use excellent drivers, and the way they sound is mostly a result of cabinet design and crossover decisions.
The SSR cab has standard ported version dimensions provided by Rick.
I would say, if i had to choose 2 pairs, it would be the Sigma, and the SSR with a great sub.
post #63 of 349 Old 06-12-2008, 04:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Does the seas-owi have more detail in midrange than SSR? Ive heard many times that seas excel drivers have more detailed midrange than scan-speaks, but the scan-speaks have better bass. The fact that its 5" compared to 7" would take that even further. Of course I dont know who made those small monitors and how skillful the design is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 349 Old 06-12-2008, 11:54 AM

I can't believe how fast threads are going down to the bottom here.
You can say the Seas is very detailed or 'over analytical', but the SS has more low mid impact, and communicates music better. Very tough choice indeed. That's why i keep both. The Seas-OWI is a design by Troels Gravesen of Denmark. Too close to Britain. Maybe that's why it has that "English Sound".
OK, now back to the bottom again.
post #65 of 349 Old 06-12-2008, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitsum View Post

I can't believe how fast threads are going down to the bottom here.
You can say the Seas is very detailed or 'over analytical', but the SS has more low mid impact, and communicates music better. Very tough choice indeed. That's why i keep both. The Seas-OWI is a design by Troels Gravesen of Denmark. Too close to Britain. Maybe that's why it has that "English Sound".
OK, now back to the bottom again.

I thought the "British sound" has a smiley face FR? I.E. boosted bass and treble? That sounds very different from neutral/detailed...
post #66 of 349 Old 06-12-2008, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

From left to right:
Infinity IRS Sigma, Boston Acoustics Lynnfield 500L II, SSR, Seas+OWI mini.
The Infinities sound the more colored of the 4, but they are a pleasure to listen to, with lush and warm highs(not that extended) and mids, very clean but not that powerful bass, despite the 12" woofer.
BA and SSR sound very similar above 60hz, very flat and accurate, clean mids and extended highs, with the SSRs getting a node in soundstage and treble extension. The Boston bass Q is amazing.
The Seas-OWI is also flat and accurate, with a smaller sound stage but great imaging, but sounds a bit sterile and lifeless (colorless?) compared to the others, which is not a bad thing for monitor use.
Now all of these speakers use excellent drivers, and the way they sound is mostly a result of cabinet design and crossover decisions.
The SSR cab has standard ported version dimensions provided by Rick.
I would say, if i had to choose 2 pairs, it would be the Sigma, and the SSR with a great sub.

How much did each of these cost ? Trying to get a sense of the SSR's bang for the buck.
post #67 of 349 Old 06-12-2008, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kip_ View Post

I thought the "British sound" has a smiley face FR? I.E. boosted bass and treble? That sounds very different from neutral/detailed...

British sound uses the "BBC dip" to smoothen upper mids and highs, giving a polite and uncolored-anemic response.

List prices per pair was-is:

IRS Sigma $10K - 1998
BA Lynnfield 500L II $4.5K - 1999
SSR $1.5K - current - $700 diy kit (no boxes)
Seas-OWI $1K - current - $600 diy (no boxes).
post #68 of 349 Old 06-14-2008, 10:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Ok how about this question.
What speakers can compete with selah speakers at their price points?
What can match or beat SSR at $1.5k or Tanzanite at $1.7k? Even if you havent directly compared anything, may be you have some estimations/ideas?
Why are there no reviews in stereophile and such?
post #69 of 349 Old 06-15-2008, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADOBHuK View Post

Ok how about this question.
What speakers can compete with selah speakers at their price points?
What can match or beat SSR at $1.5k or Tanzanite at $1.7k? Even if you havent directly compared anything, may be you have some estimations/ideas?
Why are there no reviews in stereophile and such?

I've been looking for years. If anyone knows anything that can compete at these price points I'm all ears. As for the rags I believe Stereophile has a 5 dealers minimum before they will review a speaker. Kind of leaves out ID companies don't it? Maybe The Absolute Sound will do one. If any of the audio gurus of the magazines are reading this feel free to chime in.
post #70 of 349 Old 06-15-2008, 10:29 AM

I don't think is much to be gained by upgrading from the Selah monitors to more expensive or different speakers. Instead, upgrading your sub or get a second sub makes better sense. If you have a great sub, room acoustics is the next step. In fact i' m playing with some acoustic tiles and bass traps right now, and i really like what i hear.
post #71 of 349 Old 06-15-2008, 02:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I already have fiberglass acoustic treatments. I have an 18" 1300w sub. I am trying to establish where they stand relative to other speakers, and how high the value is.
post #72 of 349 Old 06-15-2008, 03:43 PM

An 18 inch sub can be a little sloppy with music, no? I am thinking about going with two 12" from Rythmik audio, or a single svs ultra13.
post #73 of 349 Old 06-15-2008, 08:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Not really, the dual 18" of the same brand has been rated as the most musical sub out there by Craigsub, and the company representative told me my sealed one-driver sub sounds very close to the a7-900 with less group delay, if my ears could spot a difference.
Only trick with 18" is the crossover point, they dont sound as good as smaller drivers at high frequencies, but with a crossover of 60hz which I'm planning to use, should sound perfectly clean.
post #74 of 349 Old 06-16-2008, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikinokie View Post

I've been looking for years. If anyone knows anything that can compete at these price points I'm all ears. As for the rags I believe Stereophile has a 5 dealers minimum before they will review a speaker. Kind of leaves out ID companies don't it? Maybe The Absolute Sound will do one. If any of the audio gurus of the magazines are reading this feel free to chime in.

Affordable Audio? They have already reviewed an MF7 I'm sure they'd love to review a SSR or Tanzanite...
post #75 of 349 Old 06-16-2008, 07:48 AM

Quote:

Affordable Audio? They have already reviewed an MF7 I'm sure they'd love to review a SSR or Tanzanite...

Rick's got the parts and is building mine this week so I know of one review coming up....
post #76 of 349 Old 06-16-2008, 10:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikinokie View Post

You are correct about Stereophile - I'm not sure how they handle ID companies. Things have changed quite a bit over the last few years so I think they may need to change their policy. We have had reviews in Affordable Audio, Stereo Times, and Positive Feedback. A few other magazines have also requested speakers so look for more reviews in the future.

Selah Audio

Thinking Inside the Box...
post #77 of 349 Old 06-16-2008, 11:56 PM

The only reason i am still a subscriber to Stereophile is the special professional discount of $12 for two years.
They don't like screwdrivers too much.
But i do like technical oriented publications. Lots of specs, internal pics, and a down to earth review.
post #78 of 349 Old 06-17-2008, 01:34 AM

Quote:

The only reason i am still a subscriber to Stereophile is the special professional discount of $12 for two years.
They don't like screwdrivers too much.
But i do like technical oriented publications. Lots of specs, internal pics, and a down to earth review.

Stereophile goes over stuff with a fine tooth comb don't they? Don't know whether to knuckle rap my Tanzanites or not. Don't want a cabinet resonance to jump out and get me....
post #79 of 349 Old 06-17-2008, 01:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

What does "knuckle rap" mean?
post #80 of 349 Old 06-17-2008, 02:38 AM

Quote:

What does "knuckle rap" mean?

At one time in my life it meant Sister Mary the nun would bash my hand with a ruler for misbehaving You rap your knuckles on a speaker cabinet to see if it sounds hollow like a couple of bongos or dead, solid and inert. Well constructed and braced cabinets should be solid and heavier than they look.
post #81 of 349 Old 06-17-2008, 08:23 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So I've been aware of Selah for about, oh, 30 minutes now, and I thought I'd pose a couple of questions... first, how do the SSR and Tanzanite monitors differ from one another? Both seem reasonably priced and are definite options for me. Also, what is the sonic difference between the regular and deluxe crossover in the Tanzanite? And third, is a sub really necessary with these speakers? I'd really prefer not to run one. Many thanks.

TV: LG OLED77C8PUA & LG OLED65B6P
Processor: Classe Sigma mkII
Amp: D-Sonic M3a-6100 & Classe CAV-500
Player: OPPO UDP-203
Speakers: B&W 803D2, B&W HTM2D2, B&W 804s, Axiom Audio QS10HP
post #82 of 349 Old 06-17-2008, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by win200 View Post

So I've been aware of Selah for about, oh, 30 minutes now, and I thought I'd pose a couple of questions... first, how do the SSR and Tanzanite monitors differ from one another? Both seem reasonably priced and are definite options for me. Also, what is the sonic difference between the regular and deluxe crossover in the Tanzanite? And third, is a sub really necessary with these speakers? I'd really prefer not to run one. Many thanks.

The woofers are different in the SSR/Tanzanite, and the tanzanite has an additional midrange driver. Tweeters are the same. I haven't heard either of them, but from what I hear the SSR is a little more forgiving and warmer, the Tanzanite is more neutral, detailed and analytical. Yes a sub is probably necessary, the -3db points for both are around 45hz. Certainly for HT, and possibly for music depending on what genres you listen to.

http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/i...7424#msg387424

Rick can better answer the question about the crossovers but here's what he emailed me:

The review pair [of MF7s] had standard components. I'm not really that tweaky when it comes to crossover parts but I have some customers who feel that they can hear a difference. It's not going to be a huge difference like some manufacturers will claim. If it were me I would go with the standard crossover and buy more music
post #83 of 349 Old 06-17-2008, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

For anyone who's considering the SSR, i strongly encourage you to read this entire thread on AudioCircle:

http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/i...?topic=26800.0
post #84 of 349 Old 06-17-2008, 09:07 AM

Quote:

The woofers are different in the SSR/Tanzanite, and the tanzanite has an additional midrange driver. Tweeters are the same. I haven't heard either of them, but from what I hear the SSR is a little more forgiving and warmer, the Tanzanite is more neutral, detailed and analytical. Yes a sub is probably necessary, the -3db points for both are around 45hz. Certainly for HT, and possibly for music depending on what genres you listen to.

http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/i...7424#msg387424

Rick can better answer the question about the crossovers but here's what he emailed me:

The review pair [of MF7s] had standard components. I'm not really that tweaky when it comes to crossover parts but I have some customers who feel that they can hear a difference. It's not going to be a huge difference like some manufacturers will claim. If it were me I would go with the standard crossover and buy more music

Thanks for the info; I'm leaning towards the SSR. This is going to be a music-only rig, so I'd love to avoid a sub. The integrated amp I'll be using doesn't have a subwoofer output, and I don't want to have to connect a subwoofer via line-level inputs. I know very, very few people that use a sub with a two-channel music rig.

post #85 of 349 Old 06-17-2008, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

What kind of music are you into? It'd be hard to live without one for metal/hard rock/rap...
post #86 of 349 Old 06-17-2008, 11:02 AM

Quote:

What kind of music are you into? It'd be hard to live without one for metal/hard rock/rap...

I listen to mainly jazz, a smattering of classical, and some blues, bluegrass, etc. Typical snooty audiphile stuff . Let me put it this way... I do my two-channel listening on my Monitor Audio RS1 bookshelves, and I've never felt that they lacked for bass extension.

post #87 of 349 Old 06-17-2008, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

SSR sounds fantastic without a sub, so much so that I havent felt lack of bass in my HT with them even though my sub is broken atm. SSR will give you fantastic bass down to 50 hz, probably better in terms of cleanness and speed than most subs. But of course they cant dig down to 12hz like a good sub can.
They do sound better when I use a manual crossover on the source signal, either 60 or 50 hz, compared to running full range signal into them, seems like it cleans the sound up noticably.
post #88 of 349 Old 06-17-2008, 12:38 PM

Quote:

SSR sounds fantastic without a sub, so much so that I havent felt lack of bass in my HT with them even though my sub is broken atm. SSR will give you fantastic bass down to 50 hz, probably better in terms of cleanness and speed than most subs. But of course they cant dig down to 12hz like a good sub can.
They do sound better when I use a manual crossover on the source signal, either 60 or 50 hz, compared to running full range signal into them, seems like it cleans the sound up noticably.

In my mind, a bookshelf should be perfectly capable of great bass extension within a reasonable range. 50hz seems reasonable to me, and I sincerely doubt much of my music is going to strain the SSRs. If anyone thinks differently, please let me know.

Also, how does one implement a crossover in a system with gear (e.g., my planned integrated) that doesn't have one?

post #89 of 349 Old 06-17-2008, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tough question...may be with your kind of music you won't see a difference. I gotta say SSR's are equally great for classical, vocals and other "gentle" stuff, as well as metal, techno and electronics.
post #90 of 349 Old 06-17-2008, 12:59 PM

Quote:

Tough question...may be with your kind of music you won't see a difference. I gotta say SSR's are equally great for classical, vocals and other "gentle" stuff, as well as metal, techno and electronics.

I doubt I'll notice... for an audiophile I've got a pretty crappy ear. I've never heard a difference between any cable I've ever used. (Not to dip into that whole debate...)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page