The Official Usher Audio Owners Thread - Page 20 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 17Likes

post #571 of 596 Old 08-06-2018, 05:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 3
sorry here are my speakers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Usher CP6381.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	2438034  
JDEATON and shivaji like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #572 of 596 Old 08-06-2018, 10:55 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8579 Post(s)
Liked: 5779
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMikesFishingCharters View Post
I recently found and purchased a mint pair of Usher CP6381 after searching for over 10 years. I have to say I am blown away by the dynamics of these speakers. They are buttery smooth, fantastic mids and highs....vocals are top notch. I have no idea if/where there are any dealers for Usher near me but I managed to find a used pair after searching for many many years.

I am very happy with these speakers even though they are in a terrible placement as you'll see in my picture...but it's just temporary.

I have a few questions.

1) I have read that I can put the Beryllium tweeter into my CP6381? Where/Why would I do this and is it a straight swap? How much would this cost and would it be beneficial?
2) I have read that there is a port or area inside the speakers that I can fill with sand? Again, what is the benefit of this and why would I do this? Where is the port and should I?
I'd leave well enough alone in terms of replacing drivers.

You can contact Usher directly regarding your questions.

http://usheraudio.com.tw/%E8%81%AF%E...8%91%E5%80%91/

Geoff A. J., California
post #573 of 596 Old 08-06-2018, 12:30 PM

I wish there was a way for me to hear the CP8571 and compare to my CP6381. I'd love to see the difference in sound and if it's worth the extra costs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #574 of 596 Old 08-10-2018, 06:31 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
I recently found and purchased a mint pair of Usher CP6381 after searching for over 10 years. I have to say I am blown away by the dynamics of these speakers. They are buttery smooth, fantastic mids and highs....vocals are top notch. I have no idea if/where there are any dealers for Usher near me but I managed to find a used pair after searching for many many years.

I am very happy with these speakers even though they are in a terrible placement as you'll see in my picture...but it's just temporary.

I have a few questions.

1) I have read that I can put the Beryllium tweeter into my CP6381? Where/Why would I do this and is it a straight swap? How much would this cost and would it be beneficial?
2) I have read that there is a port or area inside the speakers that I can fill with sand? Again, what is the benefit of this and why would I do this? Where is the port and should I?
I purchased a used pair Usher CP-8571 MK I’s several years ago and have been very pleased. My speakers came with the beryllium tweeters, but I decided to upgrade to the DMD’s to match the BE-616 center speaker I purchased from Fred at Katli Audio. Thus, I can confirm switching tweeters, DMD to Beryllium or vise versa is a direct swap.

Regarding sand or lead loading, the previous owner used lead shot, and loaded it either from the bottom with the base removed, or by removing the name plate. Made an already massively heavy speaker even heavier. Not sure if that option is available on your speaker or not.

Enjoy your Ushers, I sure enjoy mine! BTW if you are anywhere near Atlanta, I would be happy to demo my CP-8571's for you.
gajCA likes this.
post #575 of 596 Old 10-14-2018, 04:15 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Hey all,

I just purchased a pair of Usher CP-6311 speakers from a friend. They are piano gloss black with rosewood accents.

I got them set up last night and have been enjoying them most of the day today. In my humble opinion, these are ridiculously good speakers. They have a very "live" presentation in my listening room. The bass is surprisingly strong for only having one driver per cabinet to handle those notes. I would not call these speakers "bright/forward" but the high notes are not rolled off at all. The speakers are very heavy and look to be very well made. I currently have them placed 2.5' from the front wall and the right speaker is 3' from the wall while the left speaker doesn't have a side wall anywhere near it. The listening room is an open space with 14' ceilings. I had them 3' from the front wall last night but that seemed to be a little too far. Obviously, I'll be experimenting with placement for a little while. Really enjoying these speakers!
gajCA likes this.

Audio: KEF Q150 * NAD C 316BEE * Bluesound Node 2i * 12" SVS sub * APC H10
Vinyl: Fluance RT82 * Nagaoka MP-110 * Bottlehead Reduction + Integration * KAB RF1
Video: Panasonic TH-50PZ850U * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * ROKU Premiere
post #576 of 596 Old 10-23-2018, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinnin View Post
Hey all,

I just purchased a pair of Usher CP-6311 speakers from a friend. They are piano gloss black with rosewood accents.

I got them set up last night and have been enjoying them most of the day today. In my humble opinion, these are ridiculously good speakers. They have a very "live" presentation in my listening room. The bass is surprisingly strong for only having one driver per cabinet to handle those notes. I would not call these speakers "bright/forward" but the high notes are not rolled off at all. The speakers are very heavy and look to be very well made. I currently have them placed 2.5' from the front wall and the right speaker is 3' from the wall while the left speaker doesn't have a side wall anywhere near it. The listening room is an open space with 14' ceilings. I had them 3' from the front wall last night but that seemed to be a little too far. Obviously, I'll be experimenting with placement for a little while. Really enjoying these speakers!
Congrats on your new Ushers! I agree, I think the Usher Dancer line of speakers check all the audiophile boxes. Add to that Usher give you heirloom quality craftsmanship with unsurpassed esthetic beauty. It amazes me the Usher brand is so relatively unknown here in the US. Then again the speaker market is a crowded one.

I really enjoy my CP 8571's.

I'm sure your 14' ceilings help from an acoustic perspective and its surprising how even small changes in location can have a large impact on imaging and balance.

Curious are you measuring distance from the back of the speaker to the wall, or from the front baffle to the wall?
post #577 of 596 Old 10-23-2018, 02:12 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDEATON View Post
Congrats on your new Ushers! I agree, I think the Usher Dancer line of speakers check all the audiophile boxes. Add to that Usher give you heirloom quality craftsmanship with unsurpassed esthetic beauty. It amazes me the Usher brand is so relatively unknown here in the US. Then again the speaker market is a crowded one.

I really enjoy my CP 8571's.

I'm sure your 14' ceilings help from an acoustic perspective and its surprising how even small changes in location can have a large impact on imaging and balance.

Curious are you measuring distance from the back of the speaker to the wall, or from the front baffle to the wall?
Hello JDeaton,

I'm measuring from the back of the speaker to the wall.

This is my first pair of Ushers and I'm very pleased so far. Ridiculous amount of bass extension from one 7" woofer!

Audio: KEF Q150 * NAD C 316BEE * Bluesound Node 2i * 12" SVS sub * APC H10
Vinyl: Fluance RT82 * Nagaoka MP-110 * Bottlehead Reduction + Integration * KAB RF1
Video: Panasonic TH-50PZ850U * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * ROKU Premiere
post #578 of 596 Old 10-23-2018, 05:20 PM

Yes, I know what you mean. My 8571’s have only an 8” woofer and reviews say they provide base down to 28Hz with plus/minus just 1.5 db.
BTW, I liked your signature so much I borrowed your format. Hope you don’t mind.

Audio: Classé SSP-800 Pre-Pro, Classé CA-5300 Amp, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, Mytek Brooklyn DAC, Roon, Tidal, MQA Usher Audio CP-8571 LR, BE-616 C, S520 S, SVS SB16 Ultra X 2
Video: JVC DLA RS-6710 Projector, Oppo BDP-105D, Roku Ultra, DirecTV Genie,
Other: APC H15 Power Conditioner, Dedicated 20 Amp 10 Ga Romex Circuit, eero Pro WiFi System with Actiontec Bonded MoCA Ethernet

Last edited by JDEATON; 10-23-2018 at 05:27 PM.
post #579 of 596 Old 12-11-2018, 07:33 AM

I found a pair of Usher Beryllium tweeters I think I'm going to buy and put into my CP6381....just not sure they will work perfectly as the silk tweeters do. The guy says it's a direct swap....can anyone comment?

btw...the bass punch and deep extension on my Usher's is beyond belief!!! All of my friends asked me where my sub was hiding. LOL
post #580 of 596 Old 12-15-2018, 11:03 AM

Quote:
I found a pair of Usher Beryllium tweeters I think I'm going to buy and put into my CP6381....just not sure they will work perfectly as the silk tweeters do. The guy says it's a direct swap....can anyone comment?

btw...the bass punch and deep extension on my Usher's is beyond belief!!! All of my friends asked me where my sub was hiding. LOL
FWIW, I changed out my beryllium tweeters for DMD's in my CP-8571's. It was a direct swap. I figure I now have the equivalent of CP-8571 Mk II's.

Below is a quote from a 2006 Stereophile forum you may find interesting:

"Anonymous (not verified)

Usher cp-6381 + Be tweeters
I have a pair of Usher cp-6381 loudspeakers but for further improved I filled the mass load chamber with 7.5 kg of sand and I replaced the original tweeter for the beryllium 9980-20 tweeter which is used in the dancer series. The Be tweeters were sold by the Dutch distributor. They even refunded the original tweeters.
I compared the cp-6381 + Be tweeters to the cp-8571 MkII and I noticed that de Dancer loudspeaker is a bit more spacious. It probably has to do with the design of the cabinet and the weight of the cp-8571 MkII. If you fill up the mass load chamber with sand the cp-6381 gets better. The midrange is more focussed and the bass has more control. With the cp-6381 + Be tweeters you will probably get 95% of the cp-8571 MkII performance. The sound of the Be tweeter is sweeter and more liquid. If you listen to the cp-8571 MkII you know what I mean. So far the US distributor will not sell the Be tweeters to the US Usher loudspeaker owners as an upgrade.
Kind regards,
Johan Verschuren
The Netherlands"

Audio: Classé SSP-800 Pre-Pro, Classé CA-5300 Amp, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, Mytek Brooklyn DAC, Roon, Tidal, MQA Usher Audio CP-8571 LR, BE-616 C, S520 S, SVS SB16 Ultra X 2
Other: APC H15 Power Conditioner, Dedicated 20 Amp 10 Ga Romex Circuit, eero Pro WiFi System with Actiontec Bonded MoCA Ethernet
post #581 of 596 Old 01-01-2019, 05:50 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Aren't we an exclusive club! I'm driving a few hundred miles each way today to buy a pair of BE-20 DMD's to use in my basement. They will be replacing the Salon 2's I currently use.My opportunities to demo hi quality speakers like these are slim and the odds of them sounding the same in my room are even slimmer, so this is what I do, buy used and spend as much time as I can getting them to integrate with my room then move on. The Revel salon 2 I did get to audition and I fell in love with their presentation and bought them, unfortunately I was unable to get them to mate with my room in the 9 months I used them. I'll be leaning on you guys in the coming days for suggestions with these big beasts i'm bringing home tonight.
shivaji likes this.

Meridian dsp8000,Usher BE-20 DMD dancer, Vienna acoustics Beethoven's and (Strauss for sale), Hegel H360, Roon Nucleus, Rega jupiter cd, Revox s26 tuner,[path]salon2, salon1, f52, r105/3, ads L9e and the infamous bose 901 vI.
post #582 of 596 Old 01-03-2019, 07:48 AM

I got the BE-20 DMD down the stairs, phew, I can't imagine trying to move them if the bases were fixed. I'm happy so far with the BE-20 it seems the additional woofer provides the needed spl to overcome the null for most of the recordings I like. bass sounds strong and using my phone app i'm getting fairly flat output to 40 hz or so having so many speakers drop off by as much as 20 db from around
60 hz initially, I thought there was too much bass. I don't think it's fair to compare the salon 2 to the BE-20 DMD as they obviously have 2 different goals, the salon 2 tall, slim and designed to fit an average size HT room while these BIG ushers aren't going to be tucked into a corner. Still I can say initial setup the be-20 is holding its own , appears to be the salons equal in regards to resolution while current setup I still think the salon2 does cymbals better than anything else the be-20 dmd gets a little splashy up there. I've got so much more experience with the salon 2's and heard them sound awful and heard them sound amazing, this is my first Usher and I'm pleasantly surprised.

Meridian dsp8000,Usher BE-20 DMD dancer, Vienna acoustics Beethoven's and (Strauss for sale), Hegel H360, Roon Nucleus, Rega jupiter cd, Revox s26 tuner,[path]salon2, salon1, f52, r105/3, ads L9e and the infamous bose 901 vI.
post #583 of 596 Old 01-03-2019, 09:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1135 Post(s)
Liked: 1075
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven59 View Post
Aren't we an exclusive club! I'm driving a few hundred miles each way today to buy a pair of BE-20 DMD's to use in my basement. They will be replacing the Salon 2's I currently use.My opportunities to demo hi quality speakers like these are slim and the odds of them sounding the same in my room are even slimmer, so this is what I do, buy used and spend as much time as I can getting them to integrate with my room then move on. The Revel salon 2 I did get to audition and I fell in love with their presentation and bought them, unfortunately I was unable to get them to mate with my room in the 9 months I used them. I'll be leaning on you guys in the coming days for suggestions with these big beasts i'm bringing home tonight.

Congrats on the new, used purchase. I have always enjoyed the listening sessions I've had of the Usher line at audio shops, especially the Be-20's. I also dig their curves. Enjoy.
post #584 of 596 Old 01-03-2019, 03:24 PM

Thanks, Since getting them anybody I know who knows anything about audio has asked me to send pics, you'd think I bought a Harley. lol
shivaji likes this.

post #585 of 596 Old 02-02-2019, 07:19 AM

I haven't felt the need to move them from their original spot and i'm still coming downstairs every night for a listening session b4 bed. (after 32 years of marriage my wife's happy for the distraction)The soundstage and images within can rival the best i've had tho' still not tall I don't really notice. Playing tracks and hearing things I never noticed before in older speakers came from a boost at certain fq's with older speakers, but with these and the salon'2s it's the speakers getting out of the way. For the first time since I started the system rebuild I have no desire to try anything else. I never thought this day would come!
gajCA likes this.

post #586 of 596 Old 02-02-2019, 02:46 PM

^^^^
Congrats on buying the BE-20’s. I’m glad you’re enjoying them. The 20’s would be the ultimate for me. I’ve been enjoying my second-hand CP 8571’s (little brother to the BE-10) for nearly 5 years now, and would not trade except for perhaps a pair of BE-10’s or 20’s.
My Ushers are in the basement too. The previous owner lead loaded the bases, so I figure they weigh about 200 Lbs. each, still quite a bit less than your 20’s. The thought of moving them gives me a back ache.
My Ushers originally had the beryllium tweeters, but I upgraded to the DMD’s. (purchased from Fred at Katli Audio in California.)
It just amazes me how relatively unknown the Usher line is in North America
steven59 likes this.

post #587 of 596 Old 02-03-2019, 07:27 AM

I got my BE-20's for a fraction of their new list price as the pics look pretty rough I was pleasantly surprised when I saw them in person. The purchase was a leap of faith since I don't have much experience in the $5-10k used market but currently have that to spend I've been looking for speakers priced good enough to break even on if I don't like how they play in my listening room and so far i'm only down $50 and the price I paid for these that I'm happy to say they're worth to me. I googled the cp 8571's and they look good, easy to see the family resemblance. Was the change to the DMD's a worthy upgrade? I had the salon2 before these and I think the tweeters compare quite nicely.

post #588 of 596 Old 02-03-2019, 08:44 AM

Quote:
I got my BE-20's for a fraction of their new list price as the pics look pretty rough I was pleasantly surprised when I saw them in person. The purchase was a leap of faith since I don't have much experience in the $5-10k used market but currently have that to spend I've been looking for speakers priced good enough to break even on if I don't like how they play in my listening room and so far i'm only down $50 and the price I paid for these that I'm happy to say they're worth to me. I googled the cp 8571's and they look good, easy to see the family resemblance. Was the change to the DMD's a worthy upgrade? I had the salon2 before these and I think the tweeters compare quite nicely.
I agree, buying high end gear used (much like high end cars) is the smart way to go. Pretty much all the gear listed in my signature was purchased second hand off Audiogon. My Usher CP-8571’s shipped FedEx truck freight from Seattle to Atlanta. Can’t ship much further in the contiguous US.

The main reason I swapped the beryllium for DMD tweeters was to match my Usher BE-616 DMD center channel speaker. (My surrounds are Usher S-520's.) I do think the DMD’s are a slight upgrade, but the berylliums were no slouches either.

Below are a couple photos of my media room.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1488.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	680.6 KB
ID:	2519974   Click image for larger version

Name:	Napa 4.jpg.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	646.8 KB
ID:	2519976   Click image for larger version

Name:	Napa 1.jpg.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	726.1 KB
ID:	2519978  
shivaji and steven59 like this.

post #589 of 596 Old 02-05-2019, 10:07 PM

very nice. My family room has a fireplace in the middle so I built some recessed bookshelves, mounted a flat screen to the wall, make a huge sub double as an end table and use a ysp-1 soundbar. kind of a shame for me to have these and hide them away, but nobodys really into hifi anymore.

post #590 of 596 Old 02-06-2019, 12:06 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8579 Post(s)
Liked: 5779
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDEATON View Post
I agree, buying high end gear used (much like high end cars) is the smart way to go. Pretty much all the gear listed in my signature was purchased second hand off Audiogon. My Usher CP-8571’s shipped FedEx truck freight from Seattle to Atlanta. Can’t ship much further in the contiguous US.

The main reason I swapped the beryllium for DMD tweeters was to match my Usher BE-616 DMD center channel speaker. (My surrounds are Usher S-520's.) I do think the DMD’s are a slight upgrade, but the berylliums were no slouches either.

Below are a couple photos of my media room.
Very very nice.

Congratulations.

Geoff A. J., California
post #591 of 596 Old 02-08-2019, 09:19 AM

Very nice

post #592 of 596 Old 03-28-2019, 10:16 AM

Be-20dmd

I chanced upon a pair of DSP8000’s and believe it or not at $65k a pair they manage to outperform my be-20dmd’s. Surprisingly or fortunately that I bought the meridians used because while side by side I can pick a favorite the ushers with my h360 driving them are very close and gp acoustics offers an xover upgrade for $450 that might even get them there. I have both up on usam and if the DSP8000’s sell I’ll do the upgrade and post the results, more likely these babys (be20’s) will sell first and I’ll settle for having enjoyed my time with them.

post #593 of 596 Old 03-28-2019, 07:29 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
I chanced upon a pair of DSP8000’s and believe it or not at $65k a pair they manage to outperform my be-20dmd’s. Surprisingly or fortunately that I bought the meridians used because while side by side I can pick a favorite the ushers with my h360 driving them are very close and gp acoustics offers an xover upgrade for $450 that might even get them there. I have both up on usam and if the DSP8000’s sell I’ll do the upgrade and post the results, more likely these babys (be20’s) will sell first and I’ll settle for having enjoyed my time with them.

I am curious about the xover upgrade... did they ask you to send them the be-20 crossovers first?… a couple of years ago, I contacted GP, and they asked me that -for my be-10’s-, it seem weird as I thought they would maken entirely new crossover, and as such, already had the expertise to make them without me taking apart my speakers....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #594 of 596 Old 03-29-2019, 07:05 AM

I specifically asked if they had an upgrade I could do myself and if they offered instructions 'the average joe' could follow. If you rephrase your query they may accommodate you.

post #595 of 596 Old 03-29-2019, 07:09 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
I specifically asked if they had an upgrade I could do myself and if they offered instructions 'the average joe' could follow. If you rephrase your query they may accommodate you.
thanks... will ask again in a few days... at that time, I also asked them to send me the parts/instructions and they told me it was not possible and they needed to make the crossovers once I had sent the original ones... perhapa they are now more flexible!

... have a great weekend

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
steven59 likes this.
post #596 of 596 Old 05-04-2019, 02:20 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi guys new to the forum,
I have a pair of md2's which I love, my question is what power amps are you guys using to drive them?

My amp is rated at 90w into 8ohm, when I crank it I get some distortion from the Ushers, would a more powerful amp help?
Cheers
Neil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr929 9 2 Channel Network A V Receiver , Onkyo Tx Nr616

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page