The Official Magnepan Owners Thread - Page 121 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 559Likes

post #3601 of 6532 Old 06-01-2014, 04:53 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3152 Post(s)
Liked: 3101
Double check you have woofer and tweeter outputs from the box wired properly.
Try swapping cables from amp to speaker to see if it has anything to do with the amp or speaker cable.
Then swap crossover boxes between speakers; see if it follows the box (bad box) or speaker (bad speaker).
If the speaker is bad first replace the fuse (they will sometimes open without looking like they are blown).
If speaker still bad, call Magnepan, your dealer, or at least a techie friend to check it out.

HTH - Don

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3602 of 6532 Old 06-03-2014, 05:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post

^^^ I'll just say I disagree with that. I have always had better sound and measured performance rolling off the bass to the panels for reasons stated elsewhere in this (and other) thread (more headroom, much lower distortion in the panels, etc.) BTW, using the sub's HPF is the same as using an external crossover, and IME (but maybe nobody else's) the majority of HPF's built into subs perform more poorly than external units.

A quick note on set up, crossovers, etc. I'm running seven panels across LRC - 2 x DWMs w/3.7s and a tri-center all powered by a Mac 8207, no external crossovers - plus a Paradigm Sub2.

My front left/right speakers with DWM panels are running full range. The center array is crossed over at 100 Hz (by a Meridian G61r) and so are the B&W in-ceiling surrounds (but they are crossed over a bit lower). The bass from the crossed over speakers is being routed to the front left/right speakers and the sub is running off of the front left/right preamp outputs (rather than LFE out). The sub is crossed over around 45 Hz or so.

That all sounds like a dry cluster---- on paper, but it's the configuration Magnepan recommends and it sure as heck works in practice. The set up was auditioned by Wendall and by number of reps from my local dealer and all gave the set up two thumbs up.

Clearly YMMV, but at least in my case using the natural roll-off from the Maggies is working and I use the system for both critical listening in stereo and Meridian Tri-field plus HT (and TV!).

gordon

gordon
post #3603 of 6532 Old 06-14-2014, 01:01 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Thanks for all the great feedback. I now have the system setup with the speakers still being run in. They seem to improve with every play. I had an old front firing Boston 10" 150w sub (very musical and fortunately very fast) which I have setup through a Behringer crossover for added control. I am not using the crossover for the speakers. The optimum crossover is somewhere between 50 and 70 hz. The sub is located behind the speakers next to a fireplace on a concrete floor in an old wood cupboard and adds seamless low end extension. The speakers are 4 to 6 feet from the back wall (plasterboard). I find I need to reverse the phase of the sub for best extension. The old ps audio 5 I bought on ebay is very clean with lots of flexibility. The audiolab 8200mb seem a perfect fit for the 1.7. Based on an old Tag Mclaren amp, they have plenty of power, are linear across the resistance (250w 8ohm; 500w 4ohm; 1000w ? 2 ohm) and fit perfectly on their side at the base of the speaker with an xlr connection (I use ART Clean Box Pro Stereo Converter CleanBox PROAUDIOSTAR for unbalanced to balanced conversion - a lot cheaper than speaker cables). As someone has said the speakers are very revealing on the nature and quality of the source. For example I have a Logitech Transporter and a Gustard x10 DAC. There is a noticeable improvement in transparency and staging on flac files when rendered through the Gustard (i5 notebook, JRiver, USB, dsd128) vs the Transporter and even the Transporter via the Gustard using toslink. Likewise with internet radio. I find the speakers extremely easy to listen to and like playing them a lot louder than my previous setup (quad ESL 63). Being able to access my music using Gizmo, Foobar and Orange squeeze on my tablet is a major improvement in convenience compared to CDs and records. I am now in the process of ressurecting my 1983 Linn sondek and Nakamichi tape deck. It will be interesting to hear the difference between analog and digital sources. No doubt I will be faced with the prospect of a cartridge upgrade from the dated asak. My only regret is my ears and the obvious deterioration that has occurred in the last 20 years! The big positive is my children are now beginning to appreciate the subtlety and range of classical music.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3604 of 6532 Old 06-14-2014, 01:42 PM

Glad you like them!

Do NOT use that old cartridge -- chances are high the suspension is shot and you could damage records with it.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #3605 of 6532 Old 06-18-2014, 10:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1816 Post(s)
Liked: 860
Can anyone chime in on the differences between the MMGs and the 1.7.... I like good speakers and I have been eyeing up some Maggie just not sure about which one, mostly a two channel system using a nice powerful Amp... KW-500 Musical Fidelity unit.
post #3606 of 6532 Old 06-20-2014, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post
Can anyone chime in on the differences between the MMGs and the 1.7.... I like good speakers and I have been eyeing up some Maggie just not sure about which one, mostly a two channel system using a nice powerful Amp... KW-500 Musical Fidelity unit.
Long story but I will keep it short. I've been listening to audio for 30 years and have owned some very expensive equipment ... Krell, Wilsons etc. I owned both speakers for about one year each. I bought the MMGs from the factory and then a year later traded them back for the 1.7s (bought from a dealer). I had the 1.7s for about a year and traded them on some Focal 836W. I traded the 1.7 because I missed the lack of bass. The Focals did have better bass but the 1.7s were better everywhere else. I was going to trade up to the 3.7 but my electronics were not good enough. Knowing what I know now, and if I had to do it all over again I would have kept the MMGs. Both the MMG and 1.7 are fairly easy to drive ( I used a 150 watt amp). The 1.7 will really shine with better equipment but you will have thousands of dollars invested. The MMGs are amazing speakers. I have no itch or desire to try anything else. I missed them so much that I ordered another pair and will be getting rid of the Focals.
post #3607 of 6532 Old 06-20-2014, 06:12 PM

I have not heard either.

The 1.7's are larger, go a little lower (40 Hz vs. 50 Hz), and are a three-way instead of a two-way design.

Any Maggie, like most speakers, will benefit greatly from a good subwoofer (I use Rythmik but there are many fine choices).

I used a 75 W/ch amp on my old Maggies (MG-Is, some borrowed MG-IIs, and finally my then and current MG-IIIa's) for years, not sure I agree with the need for expensive equipment.

An option would be to get the MMG's on trial and decide if you want to keep them, trade up later, or return and get the 1.7's. If there's any way you can get to a dealer and listen that would be best (next to having them in your system to compare).

post #3608 of 6532 Old 06-21-2014, 01:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

2channelguy and DonH50:

Thanks for the info as it is greatly appreciated! I been into audio for years and use to work for a dealer part time for fun been a huge fan of Dynaudio and Dali along with Joseph Audio for years and heard my first Magnepans many years ago and also liked them. Roommate had a original pair of SMGs. I will have a chance next week to listen to a pair of 1.7 as I found a dealer in another city not too far away who has been one for years. I don't think electronics will be an issue because I have a lot of good equipment around to use with the Mags. I currently have a Musical Fidelity KW-500 Int. Amp that has a tube output stage and does about 700wpc into a 4 ohm load and makes speakers sing to their potential. I heard the new MMGs are vastly improved, I have plenty of bass out of current speakers which are my main HT speaker but are also very good on 2 channel music "Dynaudio Confidence C2s". I also use some Dali and KEF LS50s.

Just not sure of dealer has both MMGs and 1.7s....

What about the 12s? I heard great things about them as well.

Last edited by Garman; 06-21-2014 at 01:55 PM.
post #3609 of 6532 Old 06-21-2014, 03:08 PM

FYI the KW 500 has tubes in the preamp stage; the output uses transistors. That is the usual amplifier hybrid design configuration IME.

There is a "Super MMG" and that is probably what you are thinking about when hearing of MMG improvements. Details on the Magnepan website.

Dealers usually have the MMGs to audition but do not stock them.

I would expect the 12's to be closer to the MMG's than to the 1.7's.

HTH - Don

post #3610 of 6532 Old 06-21-2014, 03:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

DonH50: You are correct, preamp stage not output and yes it is a hybrid configuration. DonH50, I heard the 12s are like the MMGs with a slightly larger soundstage. I will have the 12's and 1.7s to audition, just need to bring some good music... I love music and good speakers that product good music and these two are on my list and hopefully they will make it into my living/HT room.

No special order but these are my favorites:

Dynaudio
KEF LS50
Joseph Audio
Dali
Magnepan Heard many over the years just not in my living room.....

Last edited by Garman; 06-21-2014 at 04:14 PM.
post #3611 of 6532 Old 06-21-2014, 06:50 PM

I have heard Dynaudio but not enough to comment. I have a pair of older KEFs around. No experience with JA or Dali. 30+ years with Maggies. Note Magnepans (and any planer speaker, planer dynamic or ESL) tend to require more initial time to set up and adjust in a room, and require a larger room or treated wall behind them (or both) for the best imaging. Panels are very different from conventional speakers.

post #3612 of 6532 Old 06-21-2014, 10:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post
I have heard Dynaudio but not enough to comment. I have a pair of older KEFs around. No experience with JA or Dali. 30+ years with Maggies. Note Magnepans (and any planer speaker, planer dynamic or ESL) tend to require more initial time to set up and adjust in a room, and require a larger room or treated wall behind them (or both) for the best imaging. Panels are very different from conventional speakers.
DonH50: I was a Martin Logan owner as well, but lately they tend to sound a tad too bright for my ears. Just curious if the Maggies still need the sweet spot, or do they have more of a dispersion with the new panels.
post #3613 of 6532 Old 06-21-2014, 10:32 PM

For any planer (dipole) speaker, or any speaker for that matter, the sweet spot depends heavily upon relative position of speaker and listening position in the room. From what I have heard dispersion has not changed in the newer models; I would not expect it too as that is physics. ML improved (changed, anyway) dispersion by building curved panels. The width of the satisfactory sweet spot depends heavily upon distance from you, distance apart, toe-in, and room treatment. IMO - Don

post #3614 of 6532 Old 06-22-2014, 03:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
In mid-April, I received my MG 3.7's and two DWM bass panels. I have had a chance to break them in and make some observations. First of all, the 3.7i's sound great, better than my original 3.0's, better than my Dunleavy Mark IV's, and better than my Dynaudio Focus, which they replaced.

I have been driving the 3.7's with a MC300 amp, and the bass panels with a Crown XLS2000 digital amp. I should preface this by saying the speakers are located in a reasonably large room (25 x 15), with plenty of damping material (heavy carpeting, plush furniture, drapes, etc.) I was surprised at the amount of power required to get the sound close to what I experience in live classical performances. The MC300's clipping lights flash on occasionally, depending on the type of music (full orchestra, pipe organ, etc.). The maggies can clearly be driven more, but I will not exceed the capabilities of my amp. I am considering either 1- purchasing the MC452, or 2- getting a second MC300 and making two monoblocks. The latter is far more cost effective, but the former would allow me to use the 452 just for the 3.7's, and the MC300 for the DWMs. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

On the sound: I listen primarily to classical, and the soundstage, imaging, and accuracy allows me to place individual instruments in a "virtual" center orchestra seat at a concert hall. I've never experienced anything this good, period. I cannot compare the 3.7i's to the original 3.7's, since no store in my area had the two to compare. One other thing to note is that solo grand piano has been difficult to get right, no matter what speaker I've auditioned. The 3.7's get it right -- the "attack" of the hammers on the strings is so fast and accurate, it sounds like a concert grand is in my living room. Whatever Magnepan has been up to since I owned the original 3's, they certainly got it right.

Jazz and vocals are also impressive, and if anything, show the limitations of the original master recordings. It is now time to either begin downloading high-def recordings or dig out my large LP collection, perhaps both.

I would be happy to answer any questions for those considering buying these magnificent speakers, and no, I don't work for the company.
post #3615 of 6532 Old 06-22-2014, 03:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
2channelguy and DonH50:...What about the 12s? I heard great things about them as well.
The 12s are going to have the same old style copper tweeter that the MMGs does. it is a slightly larger panel, and thicker than the MMGs (1-1/2 compared to 3/4). The 1.7 is the newer technology. If you are interested in something the size of the 12, wait for it's replacement, the new .7, which has the same tech as the 1.7s.

http://www.theaudiobeat.com/newport2...4_magnepan.htm
Garman likes this.
post #3616 of 6532 Old 06-22-2014, 08:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkhome View Post
The 12s are going to have the same old style copper tweeter that the MMGs does. it is a slightly larger panel, and thicker than the MMGs (1-1/2 compared to 3/4). The 1.7 is the newer technology. If you are interested in something the size of the 12, wait for it's replacement, the new .7, which has the same tech as the 1.7s.

http://www.theaudiobeat.com/newport2...4_magnepan.htm
Thanks for the heads up! Much appreciated. The dealer I am sure might try to push me into the 12's because they are trying to unload them. The 1.7 and or the .7 seems like it will fit the bill. Hopefully they will have a pair of .7 in as well as this dealer has been a Magnepan dealer for over 25 years.

Any idea when they are shipping?
post #3617 of 6532 Old 06-23-2014, 04:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up! Much appreciated. The dealer I am sure might try to push me into the 12's because they are trying to unload them. The 1.7 and or the .7 seems like it will fit the bill. Hopefully they will have a pair of .7 in as well as this dealer has been a Magnepan dealer for over 25 years.

Any idea when they are shipping?
Not sure, here's a thread on AC regarding the announcement:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=126279.0

As far as the 12 vs new models, I personally haven't heard any Maggie other than my modded MMGs, but I do remember when the 1.7s first came out. There were quite a few 1.6 owners who didn't care for the new design. But obviously some bias was going on there.

So you may want to listen to the 12 vs 1.7 anyway. Just don't listen to the true ribbon model, you may have to "revisit" your budget.

Last edited by jkhome; 06-23-2014 at 04:33 AM.
post #3618 of 6532 Old 06-23-2014, 09:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

jkhome: Most of my budget is in my Music/Home Theater Dynaudio setup. So the 1.7 and 12s and .7 are within my current budget.
post #3619 of 6532 Old 06-23-2014, 10:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I hear ya. With my latest upgrade (for my small room) I had a choice of the Mini mags (the only ribbon I could of afforded) or a small monitor. You know which one I got.

Depending on the size of your room, the Mini magnepan could be another model to look at. You may have to add a second woofer panel (now or later), but that still has you close to the price of a 1.7 pair.

Last edited by jkhome; 06-23-2014 at 10:54 AM.
post #3620 of 6532 Old 06-23-2014, 07:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D Ripper View Post
I found a picture of the external crossover for the MG-III:

hogie777, do you have something like that at the base of the speakers on the back? If not, this is something to see if the person from whom you acquired them might be able to find. Otherwise, you may want to buy them used somewhere (like on eBay, if you can find them), or contact Magnepan to see if they have anything for sale for them. If not, the solution is pricy, but worth it with those speakers. The solution would be to add an electronic crossover and a second amplifier for bi-amping them. Since you have the NAD and are thinking of buying another amplifier, the NAD might work okay for the upper frequencies, and the amplifier you will buy for the bass. If it is the same crossover as the MG-IIIa, then you could use the information in the manual here:

http://akdatabase.org/AKview/albums/...a%20Owners.pdf

to set the electronic crossover. Make sure you look at the manual before you buy an electronic crossover, to make sure it has settings that fit what the manual says.

But personally, I would look for the Magnepan crossover first, and only resort to an electronic crossover and biamping if you cannot find the original crossover at a reasonable price.

So I purchased an Emotiva XPA 2 amp recently and the MG-IIIs are still putting the amp into protection mode. I have now tested the speakers with 2 amps (Emotiva & NAD C370) and have tried swapping crossovers but I can not get the speakers to a decent volume without the amp going into protection mode. When I was doing the crossover swapping I noticed that the lack of bass in the left speaker was eliminated when I gave it the right crossover so it seems the bass issue is with one of the crossovers. I called Magnepan and they seemed to be surprised and said that was not a common issue. Does anyone have experience with the MG-IIIs putting amps into protection mode? I don't think it could be the impedance because I know both the Emotiva & NAD can handle 4 ohms. I can send the crossover back to Magnepan to get it fixed but there is no point if the speaker keeps going into protection mode. If someone on here thinks that replacing the crossover would fix that issue I would spend the money to do so.
post #3621 of 6532 Old 06-23-2014, 07:26 PM

Do you have a local dealer that could take a look at them? Unless you have the technical knowledge and tools to debug, you may have to send the pair back for repair. If you unhook the "bad" crossover from the amp (leave the amp's outputs for that channel floating) does the amp still go into protect mode? If not, switch the good crossover to the other speaker and repeat. That would rule out the speaker and indicate it is just the crossover.

post #3622 of 6532 Old 06-23-2014, 08:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Ditto to DonH50 comments, my old roommate had a pair of MMGs with the exact same cross over with similar issues and it ended up being the crossover that was the problem.
post #3623 of 6532 Old 06-24-2014, 10:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Maggie owner as of today, love Dynaudio and I will always have a pair or a Theater in my presence as long as they keep on making speakers. But today I am a convert! One word summed it up when I first heard them! Breath taking, the soundstage and detail was huge and the best I have heard to date with the music I was listening too. My Dynaudio's C2's image well and have great bass, but too me for a lot less money sounded just as good minus the better bass response out of my C2s. Just pulled boxes out of car, while wife and kids are sleeping will unbox tomorrow after I get back from meeting. Selling off my C2s and replacing them with a smaller pair of bookshelves on stands to make more room for the maggies. Oh JOY!!!!!!
post #3624 of 6532 Old 06-25-2014, 06:34 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hello everybody,
does anybody know what updates have been made in 3.7i vs 3.7? I e-mailed the Magnepan seller in France but nobody answered. I don't have Magnepan mail in U.S.A. so I cannot even hope to update mines.
Any help is welcome.
Best regards...
post #3625 of 6532 Old 06-25-2014, 08:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

teiki arii

To contact us at MAGNEPAN please call 1-800-474-1646 Monday to Friday from 8 AM to 4PM CT. Take a moment first and see if some of your questions are answered in our FAQ section.
MAGNEPAN
1645 Ninth Street
White Bear Lake, MN 55110
USA
International and surrounding-area calls may be placed via our standard number, (651) 426-1645.

Small updates too the panel is what I was told. I would call them in the States if you can or just call other dealers in your area if you have them.

http://www.stoneaudio.co.uk/?manufacturer=magnepan

Not sure in France, but this be across the Chanel.
post #3626 of 6532 Old 06-25-2014, 08:58 AM

Thank you Garman,
but my english is not so good to phone in U.S.... There is no email address for foreigners... In France, no one to talk with about this update. FAQs is not helpfull..
Well, we feel forsaken, completely... although we paid 30% more expensive than in U.S.A.!!! What a pity, what a shame!
best regards.
post #3627 of 6532 Old 06-25-2014, 11:45 AM

Magnepan is a very small company with very little web presence and no direct email for customers. They simply don't have the staff for it. Keep asking your local dealer. I thought I read about the changes but cannot recall/find them at the moment.

post #3628 of 6532 Old 06-25-2014, 11:47 AM

Thanks Don,
I'm trying but I already had for months...
post #3629 of 6532 Old 06-25-2014, 12:43 PM
KKM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by teiki arii View Post
Hello everybody,
does anybody know what updates have been made in 3.7i vs 3.7? I e-mailed the Magnepan seller in France but nobody answered. I don't have Magnepan mail in U.S.A. so I cannot even hope to update mines.
Any help is welcome.
Best regards...
Even if you could talk to them, they will not be specific on what was changed, the reviewers can't get a straight answer, they want to keep it proprietary and mysterious. There's some discussion here:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=122638.0
post #3630 of 6532 Old 06-25-2014, 03:39 PM

Thank you KKM,
so, no hope to update ours ourselves... Far East from Factory...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Magnepan , Magnepan Mmg , Magnepan Mini Maggie System , Magnepan Mg 1 7 , Magnepan Mg 3 7

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page