The Official Magnepan Owners Thread - Page 196 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 444Likes

post #5851 of 6283 Old 04-12-2019, 04:41 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Any thoughts on how the rogue Sphinx would work with the 1.7i’s? Other option is going for the schiit vidar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5852 of 6283 Old 04-12-2019, 08:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post
I prefer diffusion although commercial panels tend to be costly. The big problem is getting sufficient diffusion at low enough frequencies, which ironically means you may be better off with them placed closer to the back wall than further out... The other problem I've had in the past is I still saw comb filtering even with diffusion behind the panels. It was a long time ago so I may be mis-remembering or might not have had the diffusers set up properly -- you need them at least as tall and preferably a little wider than the panels.

Maggies, like all panels, don't really need that much room treatment. They do not radiate much off the sides or top/bottom so side wall and ceiling treatments are rarely needed. (ML is an exception due to their curved panels, but they do that intentionally to involve the room so it is up to listeners to decide what they like.) In a big room with the panels (planar dynamic Maggie, ESL like ML/Soundlabs/etc., or ribbon like Apogee) well out from the wall behind, and the back wall far from the listener, I tend to use minimal if any treatment. In smaller rooms, which is alas most of mine, I tend to absorb the back wave with a panel or two directly behind them as I prefer a stable image and tend to sit close enough that the sound is enveloping just from the speakers. (No, not as close as Scott, with at or within the apex of an equilateral triangle). I tend not to treat the back wall unless it is closer than about 3' or so.

On subs and Maggies, my position is well known. I have heard several flavors of Tymps from Ia on, owned various models of 1/2/3-series, heard (in my room and others') the 20.x, but never the 30.x. I have heard and helped set up several systems that added additional bass panels to Tymps, 3.x, or 20.x to get a little more oomph down low. The problems I have heard and measured are that the panels distort heavily with large bass signals, which may be 100~1000 times the level of midrange frequencies; even the big Tymps and 20's are shy an octave or two of a good sub (in my room the -3 dB point is at 7 Hz, though other than a few drum and organ recordings and 1812 canons there's not much down that low); and, and as usual the best place for the mains is rarely the best place for the subs if you want the best in-room frequency response. The 20's put out a lot of bass and push 20~25 Hz in the right room but when played loud distortion is still pretty high (10's of percent). At least IME. I realize adding subs is against the Maggie religion but I've been doing it since around 1980 and for me personally, and those for whom I have helped, it has always been an improvement.

YMMV - Don
I have a pair of 20.7 and whilst the lower level are exceptional they do not / can not get down to the levels of 20hz.
Enter a pair of Martin Logan Balanced force 212 subs and using the PBK room set up for the bass you are in another world.
There is so much going on in the lower frequencies of just music that adds too the music that once heard you must keep it that way.

With them movies are outstanding and best Blu Ray out there is Hans Zimmer Live In Prague. In Dolby Atmos the sound is unbelievable and full of emotion.
post #5853 of 6283 Old 04-12-2019, 08:46 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgwatt View Post
I have a pair of 20.7 and whilst the lower level are exceptional they do not / can not get down to the levels of 20hz.
Enter a pair of Martin Logan Balanced force 212 subs and using the PBK room set up for the bass you are in another world.
There is so much going on in the lower frequencies of just music that adds too the music that once heard you must keep it that way.

With them movies are outstanding and best Blu Ray out there is Hans Zimmer Live In Prague. In Dolby Atmos the sound is unbelievable and full of emotion.
Can you share your complete system configuration? Do you use Maggies’s all around? What about amplification? I’m considering this as a possibility, but I don’t have the space for separate music and HT systems.

Last edited by duffda; 04-12-2019 at 08:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5854 of 6283 Old 04-13-2019, 12:43 PM

The Official Magnepan Owners Thread

Just placed an order on the 1.7i’s!
Didn’t want to wait around for finding a good condition 3.7 in my area.

Also is 1,500 a good deal for 2.7qr? How do they compare and how old are they?

Last edited by Raiders4life12; 04-13-2019 at 01:58 PM.
post #5855 of 6283 Old 04-13-2019, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffda View Post
Can you share your complete system configuration? Do you use Maggies’s all around? What about amplification? I’m considering this as a possibility, but I don’t have the space for separate music and HT systems.
I have the Anthem receiver with the left / right line out to Emotiva XPA -1 Gen 2 Mono block amps to the Magneplaner 20.7 for Analogue stereo. For the Home theater part I have Abience statement rears, Technics for side and Elac & Proac for height.
The projector is the Sony Laser VW 760es on a 130 inch screen.
I am very happy with the above and am not planning on any changes.
post #5856 of 6283 Old 04-14-2019, 01:38 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgwatt View Post
I have the Anthem receiver with the left / right line out to Emotiva XPA -1 Gen 2 Mono block amps to the Magneplaner 20.7 for Analogue stereo. For the Home theater part I have Abience statement rears, Technics for side and Elac & Proac for height.
The projector is the Sony Laser VW 760es on a 130 inch screen.
I am very happy with the above and am not planning on any changes.
Thanks. So...phantom center? What Anthem receiver? I would love to have a projector, but I haven’t figured out how to make it fit. One last question and then I’ll leave you alone... do you have the monoblocks and/or the subs on their own 20 amp circuit(s)?

Thanks again.
post #5857 of 6283 Old 04-14-2019, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffda View Post
Thanks. So...phantom center? What Anthem receiver? I would love to have a projector, but I haven’t figured out how to make it fit. One last question and then I’ll leave you alone... do you have the monoblocks and/or the subs on their own 20 amp circuit(s)?

Thanks again.
Yep no center, why, well any center one uses MUST be of the same as both Left & Right speakers otherwise serious deficiencies / anomalies will be noticed between left / right & center speakers. Pretty obvious when you consider a car travelling from extreme left across to extreme right
My whole system is on its own 20 amp circuit.
Anthem is the MRX 1120 and sounds superb on both Analog stereo and 7.0.4
No problem with question and only to glad to help but no doubt some will question the lack of center and no LFE bass.
post #5858 of 6283 Old 04-15-2019, 05:41 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 3101 Post(s)
Liked: 3037
My 7.1 Maggie setup comprised MG-IIIa L/R (old but still working), CC3 center speaker (I did not like the sound without a center, and to my ears conventional speakers did not provide as good a front stage), and two pair of MC-1's for surrounds and rears. Bass was provided by two and later four Rythmik F12 subwoofers. Amplification varied but the last setup was all Emotiva: XMC-1 processor, XPA-2 for L/R, and XPA-5 for center, surrounds, and rears. The room is 13'3" W x 17'7" L by 8'6" H and heavily treated. The L/R are about 3' in front of the wall and ~10' apart; MLP is roughly 8' away (roughly an equilateral triangle).

FWIWFM - Don
BluesDaddy56 likes this.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #5859 of 6283 Old 04-15-2019, 10:13 AM

Still trying to look for a new amp for the 1.7 I just ordered. Have up to about 1200$ any recommendations would be appreciated

post #5860 of 6283 Old 04-15-2019, 10:22 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders4life12 View Post
Still trying to look for a new amp for the 1.7 I just ordered. Have up to about 1200$ any recommendations would be appreciated
Emotiva XPA-2 Gen3 fits your budget nicely.

Power output:
300 watts/channel RMS into 8 Ohms; two channels driven
490 watts/channel RMS into 4 Ohms; two channels driven

Can't see or hear how you can go wrong

Magnepan 1.7's (LR), Magnepan CC5/DWM (Center Channel), Magnepan MC1's (Surrounds), Rythmik F12 (Sub), Emotiva XMC-1 (Processor), Emotiva XPA-2 Gen2 Drives the 1.7's, Emotiva XPA-5 Drives the Center and Surrounds, Oppo BDP-103 (Audio/Video Source), Oppo UDP-203 (Audio/Video Source), Apple TV 4K (Audio/Video Source), Sony PS4 (Audio/Video Source), LG OLED65B6P (Monitor)
post #5861 of 6283 Old 04-15-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stustan View Post
Emotiva XPA-2 Gen3 fits your budget nicely.

Power output:

300 watts/channel RMS into 8 Ohms; two channels driven

490 watts/channel RMS into 4 Ohms; two channels driven

Can't see or hear how you can go wrong

Ok thanks. What do you think about that vs the rogue Sphinx if want to have the preamp built in ?

post #5862 of 6283 Old 04-15-2019, 12:12 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 161
My apologies ..... I know nothing of the Rogue Sphinx ...... perhaps others might chime in.

Magnepan 1.7's (LR), Magnepan CC5/DWM (Center Channel), Magnepan MC1's (Surrounds), Rythmik F12 (Sub), Emotiva XMC-1 (Processor), Emotiva XPA-2 Gen2 Drives the 1.7's, Emotiva XPA-5 Drives the Center and Surrounds, Oppo BDP-103 (Audio/Video Source), Oppo UDP-203 (Audio/Video Source), Apple TV 4K (Audio/Video Source), Sony PS4 (Audio/Video Source), LG OLED65B6P (Monitor)
post #5863 of 6283 Old 04-15-2019, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
My 7.1 Maggie setup comprised MG-IIIa L/R (old but still working), CC3 center speaker (I did not like the sound without a center, and to my ears conventional speakers did not provide as good a front stage), and two pair of MC-1's for surrounds and rears. Bass was provided by two and later four Rythmik F12 subwoofers. Amplification varied but the last setup was all Emotiva: XMC-1 processor, XPA-2 for L/R, and XPA-5 for center, surrounds, and rears. The room is 13'3" W x 17'7" L by 8'6" H and heavily treated. The L/R are about 3' in front of the wall and ~10' apart; MLP is roughly 8' away (roughly an equilateral triangle).

FWIWFM - Don
HI Don50,

I take it that the Rythmik F12 subs worked very well for you with your Maggies? Would you do anything different? I will be setting up a 2 channels system with 3.7i's in a 3-4 months in an oversized office. Looking for a pair of subs that will work with them.

Thanks,
post #5864 of 6283 Old 04-15-2019, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioFan810 View Post
HI Don50,

I take it that the Rythmik F12 subs worked very well for you with your Maggies? Would you do anything different? I will be setting up a 2 channels system with 3.7i's in a 3-4 months in an oversized office. Looking for a pair of subs that will work with them.

Thanks,
If I had more room, or needed more output, I'd step up to a larger Rythmik. Other than that, no. I like the servo circuit for controlling response and that helps them integrate with the panels.

IME/IMO - Don
BluesDaddy56 and AudioFan810 like this.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #5865 of 6283 Old 04-15-2019, 05:44 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
If I had more room, or needed more output, I'd step up to a larger Rythmik. Other than that, no. I like the servo circuit for controlling response and that helps them integrate with the panels.

IME/IMO - Don
Thanks a bunch!
post #5866 of 6283 Old 04-16-2019, 10:18 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Alternative viewpoint about Magnepan:

http://www.indiespinzone.com/mag/mag14.html

The only performance change when going to a larger size is the more bass they will have, and perhaps slightly more articulated highs. (not higher, just perhaps a shade clearer due to a larger driver surface) However this should not be a reason to make your choice because bass can be made up with a quality sub or sub system.

...the larger they get, the more the focus is on detail and not the musical picture.

I suggest buying the 1.6, which now means buying used.

Your Room Is The Final Arbiter.

Power is not required for volume, but for the resolution of micro detail at any volume setting.
The better the quality and especially the more good current (not watts) behind it the better it will sound at all volumes.

post #5867 of 6283 Old 04-17-2019, 03:46 AM

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by conanb View Post
Alternative viewpoint about Magnepan:

http://www.indiespinzone.com/mag/mag14.html

The only performance change when going to a larger size is the more bass they will have, and perhaps slightly more articulated highs. (not higher, just perhaps a shade clearer due to a larger driver surface) However this should not be a reason to make your choice because bass can be made up with a quality sub or sub system.

...the larger they get, the more the focus is on detail and not the musical picture.

I suggest buying the 1.6, which now means buying used.

Your Room Is The Final Arbiter.

Power is not required for volume, but for the resolution of micro detail at any volume setting.
The better the quality and especially the more good current (not watts) behind it the better it will sound at all volumes.

In my experience:

The larger Maggies will not only go deeper, but play *louder* without strain. I heard the LRS at Axpona and it was beyond amazing -- one of the best sounds at the show -- but while it would play loud, it started to sound a bit hard and stressed.
The true ribbon tweeter is better than the quasi ribbon tweeters, but less "of a piece" with the rest of the sound.
Because they have a separate midrange, the large Maggies can actually be acoustically smaller, an advantage if you're listening up close.
You can use a sub with the smaller systems for rock or home theater, but the bass on acoustical instruments won't sound *real* the way planar bass does, so it isn't as if you aren't giving something up.
You can use large Maggies in a small room. The main issue is that as panel size increases you get more bass because of the way it couples to the room, so you may have to EQ it down. Similarly, small Maggies in a large room can have inadequate bass. A DWM can be used to boost the midbass in that case.
John likes putting the speakers on the long wall, but you'll get more depth if you pull them out so many of us prefer the short wall.
DonH50 and Scotth3886 like this.
post #5868 of 6283 Old 04-17-2019, 06:15 AM

One of the areas in which PG (real name John but most know him only as Peter Gunn) and I disagree... I agree with @Josh358 . The larger panels play deeper, louder, and the true ribbon tweeter is a step up from the QR panel. The ability to play louder and deeper does benefit speakers since distortion will be lower at lower volumes with more linear range, and since crossovers are not ideal brick-wall filters having the ability to play cleaner deeper is helpful IME/IMO. The 20/30 series, unless they have changed, are also push-pull designs (magnets in front and back) which boosts their sensitivity a hair while providing more linear dynamic range. The highs are more extended with the true ribbon, which again translates to a little better sound at lower frequencies since tweeter breakup is higher. The actual operation (physic behind) the true ribbon is different than either their original planar dynamic design (wires on plastic film) and the newer QR design (patterned traces on plastic film). Finally, I prefer the three-ways over the two-ways, though they arguably do not image quite as well if you are close to them.

FWIWFM - Don
Josh358 likes this.

post #5869 of 6283 Old 04-17-2019, 07:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3594 Post(s)
Liked: 2196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh358 View Post
In my experience:

The larger Maggies will not only go deeper, but play *louder* without strain. I heard the LRS at Axpona and it was beyond amazing -- one of the best sounds at the show -- but while it would play loud, it started to sound a bit hard and stressed.
The true ribbon tweeter is better than the quasi ribbon tweeters, but less "of a piece" with the rest of the sound.
Because they have a separate midrange, the large Maggies can actually be acoustically smaller, an advantage if you're listening up close.
You can use a sub with the smaller systems for rock or home theater, but the bass on acoustical instruments won't sound *real* the way planar bass does, so it isn't as if you aren't giving something up.
You can use large Maggies in a small room. The main issue is that as panel size increases you get more bass because of the way it couples to the room, so you may have to EQ it down. Similarly, small Maggies in a large room can have inadequate bass. A DWM can be used to boost the midbass in that case.
John likes putting the speakers on the long wall, but you'll get more depth if you pull them out so many of us prefer the short wall.
Btw, Josh, nice meeting you. And I agree, the LRSs were the surprise of the show.
post #5870 of 6283 Old 04-17-2019, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotth3886 View Post
Btw, Josh, nice meeting you. And I agree, the LRSs were the surprise of the show.
Great to meet you too.

I was just watching Steve Guttenberg's airport video and both he and Herb Reichert were saying that the LRS sounded better at the show than it did at their homes. I wish I could get my IVA's to image like that!

I heard Wendell tell someone that the hotel room was very elevated in the midrange and that he ordered some foam from Home Depot to make an ad hoc room treatment. But then there was the prototype amp, too -- not sure what had to do with what. But I've had MMG's in my room which should have similar imaging and they never imaged like that in my room, and neither do the IVa's. Among other things, when the MMG's were in my room the sound came from too low down, but in the room at AXPONA the image was coming from a nice height well above the center of the driver -- not sure why.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190413_110909.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	2554448   Click image for larger version

Name:	PANO_20190413_113854.vr.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	462.2 KB
ID:	2554452  
Scotth3886 likes this.
post #5871 of 6283 Old 04-17-2019, 10:23 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Forgive me for chiming in late, but my $.02.

A few years ago I was interested in a pair of 1.7i speakers, I had the cash in my wallet and was committed to buying a pair off the showroom floor that day. I spent maybe 3 hour listening to the 1.7i maggies and liked everything I heard.

Then on impulse I asked to listen to the 3.7i pair. In less than 3 seconds I knew I'd never be content with the 1.7i pair. It took me a few years to save up the difference in cost and I have no regrets.

So if you are shopping 1.7is, and I do think the world of them, you may, or may not want to also audition a pair of 3.7i.

In my case speakers are like wimmin, it is worth waiting for the right one, and doing without while waiting for the right one.

Caveat: Many who know me the best, and value my opinions will tell you that "I'm not right in the 'ead" so YMMV.

Systems: (3) NASs with 64TB of movies and music; Oppo 105D DAT and optical drive; Rotel RC-1590 Preamp; Yamaha M2 power amp; Magnepan MG 3.7i speakers; 65" Samsung TV

(16) 5MP Alibi CCTV cameras & Alibi NVR just to keep an eye on things.
post #5872 of 6283 Old 04-17-2019, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Great to meet you too.

I was just watching Steve Guttenberg's airport video and both he and Herb Reichert were saying that the LRS sounded better at the show than it did at their homes. I wish I could get my IVA's to image like that!

I heard Wendell tell someone that the hotel room was very elevated in the midrange and that he ordered some foam from Home Depot to make an ad hoc room treatment. But then there was the prototype amp, too -- not sure what had to do with what. But I've had MMG's in my room which should have similar imaging and they never imaged like that in my room, and neither do the IVa's. Among other things, when the MMG's were in my room the sound came from too low down, but in the room at AXPONA the image was coming from a nice height well above the center of the driver -- not sure why.
My Fartin Logans will do that. It's especially noticeable with well recorded pipe organ. I have other issues, but imaging, soundstage, width, depth, height and scale aren't among them. Hardness with any digital source is.

"Steve Guttenberg's airport video and both he and Herb Reichert were saying that the LRS sounded better at the show than it did at their homes"

This is a concern, and since I never send anything back, what I don't need is another set of speakers that will just sit around here taking up space.
post #5873 of 6283 Old 04-17-2019, 11:25 AM

Quote:
My Fartin Logans will do that. It's especially noticeable with well recorded pipe organ. I have other issues, but imaging, soundstage, width, depth, height and scale aren't among them. Hardness with any digital source is.

"Steve Guttenberg's airport video and both he and Herb Reichert were saying that the LRS sounded better at the show than it did at their homes"

This is a concern, and since I never send anything back, what I don't need is another set of speakers that will just sit around here taking up space.
I discussed that with Wendell at some point. He really wants people to try them -- this is a marketing program after all, they don't make money off the LRS, but off people who like the sound and decide to go for a bigger model. I said I thought people would be reluctant to send them back because they're thinking of them as a purchase with a guarantee rather than as a trial.

But I think it's safe to say they'll be good, Steve Guttenberg gave them a rave in his home, after all. He said in essence the better the amplifier, the better the sound -- hardly a surprise!
post #5874 of 6283 Old 04-17-2019, 12:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I discussed that with Wendell at some point. He really wants people to try them -- this is a marketing program after all, they don't make money off the LRS, but off people who like the sound and decide to go for a bigger model. I said I thought people would be reluctant to send them back because they're thinking of them as a purchase with a guarantee rather than as a trial.

But I think it's safe to say they'll be good, Steve Guttenberg gave them a rave in his home, after all. He said in essence the better the amplifier, the better the sound -- hardly a surprise!

min 2:50

I guess I'm glad that I drove up as it looks like they ended up with a 24 wait at the airport
post #5875 of 6283 Old 04-17-2019, 12:55 PM

Quote:

I guess I'm glad that I drove up as it looks like they ended up with a 24 wait at the airport
Heh, yes, it was a royal mess. They had it worse than I did because I traveled the next day, but even so, I woke up at 3:45 AM and didn't get home until after midnight, after an endless number of cancelled and late flights and rebookings, and detours to Washington DC and Boston. And my baggage ended up in Rhode Island! (They delivered it this morning.)
post #5876 of 6283 Old 04-17-2019, 12:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Heh, yes, it was a royal mess. They had it worse than I did because I traveled the next day, but even so, I woke up at 3:45 AM and didn't get home until after midnight, after an endless number of cancelled and late flights and rebookings, and detours to Washington DC and Boston. And my baggage ended up in Rhode Island! (They delivered it this morning.)

This is why I've long said, anything 500 miles or under, I drive. Get there quicker.
post #5877 of 6283 Old 04-17-2019, 01:18 PM

Quote:
This is why I've long said, anything 500 miles or under, I drive. Get there quicker.
Scary, but true.
post #5878 of 6283 Old 04-17-2019, 01:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2657 Post(s)
Liked: 2436
Quote:

Looking to pick some brains (no I'm not a Zombie ) but I'm interested in the LRS for my bedroom. It's fairly large as far as most bedrooms go at around 2500 cubic ft. Most of my listening is done at low to moderate volumes. I have a nice little 8" sub to fill out the bottom, which has enough output for my listening levels.

I listen to mostly alt rock (Puscifer, Tool, RAGM, Brass Against (awesome BTW), jazz and blues. It's all streamed from Amazon Prime or Google Play. I currently use a pair of NHT SZ2.0s and while they sound good they just don't have any output below 100hz. I'm looking to not have to run the sub to 110hz.

My main concern with the LRS is my power source- https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audi...201/specs.html

Will it be able to adequately power the LRS to moderate listening levels without melting?

I live in Hawaii so I have an extra $150 or so in shipping one way which makes for an expensive test if my receiver can't power them. I don't want to have to drop another $500-$1000 on power for $650 speakers.

Thanks

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
post #5879 of 6283 Old 04-17-2019, 01:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Should I fix my 1.6QR's (again, delamination, I play loud FPS games) or try out the LRS's? I fix the 1.6's with contact cement, magnets, weights, and a rig to hold the wire in place. It usually only costs me time but this would be the 3rd time. They are powered off of an Emotiva XPA-5 Gen1 with a Yamaha RXA-3080 driving them. 33/33/33 movies/games/music. I listen loud. Currently have Emotiva T-1's doing stand in duty everytime something happens to the Maggies. Phantom center since my imaging is awesome with either set of speakers.
post #5880 of 6283 Old 04-17-2019, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post
Looking to pick some brains (no I'm not a Zombie ) but I'm interested in the LRS for my bedroom. It's fairly large as far as most bedrooms go at around 2500 cubic ft. Most of my listening is done at low to moderate volumes. I have a nice little 8" sub to fill out the bottom, which has enough output for my listening levels.

I listen to mostly alt rock (Puscifer, Tool, RAGM, Brass Against (awesome BTW), jazz and blues. It's all streamed from Amazon Prime or Google Play. I currently use a pair of NHT SZ2.0s and while they sound good they just don't have any output below 100hz. I'm looking to not have to run the sub to 110hz.

My main concern with the LRS is my power source- https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audi...201/specs.html

Will it be able to adequately power the LRS to moderate listening levels without melting?

I live in Hawaii so I have an extra $150 or so in shipping one way which makes for an expensive test if my receiver can't power them. I don't want to have to drop another $500-$1000 on power for $650 speakers.

Thanks
Based on the specs, I'd say it should be OK at moderate levels. You'd get more out of an amp that can deliver more current -- these don't come close to doubling power into four ohms -- so they won't give you an idea of what they can do, but they are rated for 120 watts into four ohms and they have a peak rating of 180 watts at 2 ohms, so I don't think they'll melt (the impedance of the LRS drops below 4 ohms). If you aren't pushing them to high volumes I imagine you'll be OK.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Magnepan , Magnepan Mmg , Magnepan Mini Maggie System , Magnepan Mg 1 7 , Magnepan Mg 3 7

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page