The Official Magnepan Owners Thread - Page 204 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 559Likes

post #6091 of 6532 Old 05-15-2019, 07:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3325 Post(s)
Liked: 1877
nobody posted shipping label emails...Im disappointed. really dont care for supporting bull**** when I talk one on one with employees...rather deal with my brick mortar.

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6092 of 6532 Old 05-16-2019, 04:12 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotth3886 View Post
"tools of the true audiophile!"

Thanks to Menards

"BTW, really nice vinyl collection"

Thanks, that's only about 4,000 of the 20,000.
Hi again guys,

Still in the early stages of finding the best listening position of the Magnepan LRS speakers. To start I placed tweeters on outside (Serial -1 on left, Serial -2 on right). My initial listening response (compared to box Klipsch WF-35 towers) was wow...this is only going to get better! BTW, Bass is handled by Hsu VTF2-Mk4 and sounds fast, tight and natural...not boomy.
Drums and cymbals shine! Vocals are sweet!

Now, the question arose...Tweeters In or Tweeters Out?

Thanks to a great answer provided by DonH50:
https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threa...-outside.9263/
I shall now try Tweeters In.

My listening area is shared with the modest Home Theater viewing area.
It's small in size 7Hx12Wx15D. My listening chair is seated against sofa about 6 feet from each tweeter. The Tweeter side edges are exactly 4'-5" apart and toed slightly away from listening area but aimed for center of listening chair.

I'll let you know how that sounds later. Oh...my main sound instruments are my ears and a RadioShack Analog SLM.
And soon to add Position Level Meter, thanks Scotth3886

sgibson
post #6093 of 6532 Old 05-16-2019, 07:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgibson View Post
Hi again guys,

Still in the early stages of finding the best listening position of the Magnepan LRS speakers. To start I placed tweeters on outside (Serial -1 on left, Serial -2 on right). My initial listening response (compared to box Klipsch WF-35 towers) was wow...this is only going to get better! BTW, Bass is handled by Hsu VTF2-Mk4 and sounds fast, tight and natural...not boomy.

Drums and cymbals shine! Vocals are sweet!

Now, the question arose...Tweeters In or Tweeters Out?

Thanks to a great answer provided by DonH50:

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threa...-outside.9263/

I shall now try Tweeters In.

My listening area is shared with the modest Home Theater viewing area.

It's small in size 7Hx12Wx15D. My listening chair is seated against sofa about 6 feet from each tweeter. The Tweeter side edges are exactly 4'-5" apart and toed slightly away from listening area but aimed for center of listening chair.

I'll let you know how that sounds later. Oh...my main sound instruments are my ears and a RadioShack Analog SLM.

And soon to add Position Level Meter, thanks Scotth3886

sgibson
From my experience with my 1.6's, if the speakers are close to the side walls, tweeters in is more ideal. In my old house, it had less glare and better imaging than tweeter out. When I moved to my new place, I had more space on the side. I started with tweeter in and things sounded the same. No glare and good imaging. I switched to tweeters out and the soundstage got bigger overall. It's like the speakers were able to breathe.

In the end, I think there is no set rule, in or out. You do have to listen on which sounds best to you. I originally did have tweeters out in my old place before my audiophile bud suggested I try tweeters in. I wouldn't have known better if he didn't have me try since I was very content with my setup at the time.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6094 of 6532 Old 05-16-2019, 10:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by threshold350 View Post
From my experience with my 1.6's, if the speakers are close to the side walls, tweeters in is more ideal. In my old house, it had less glare and better imaging than tweeter out. When I moved to my new place, I had more space on the side. I started with tweeter in and things sounded the same. No glare and good imaging. I switched to tweeters out and the soundstage got bigger overall. It's like the speakers were able to breathe.

In the end, I think there is no set rule, in or out. You do have to listen on which sounds best to you. I originally did have tweeters out in my old place before my audiophile bud suggested I try tweeters in. I wouldn't have known better if he didn't have me try since I was very content with my setup at the time.

Thanks threshold350 for sharing that.
Got a lot to learn, but getting some good advice here and having fun with new LRS speakers

regards,
sgibson
post #6095 of 6532 Old 05-16-2019, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 3149 Post(s)
Liked: 3101
Maggies, and any dipole (planar-magnetic, ribbon, ESL) panel requires careful tweaking of position to dial them in. It takes a few hours, usually spread over a few weeks, to get them set "just right". Once you do, magic. It is much easier with the wall behind damped and with them a little away from the side walls but plan on some time regardless. Distance from back wall, amount of angle (toe-in), distance to the listening position, IME a dipole tends to be more sensitive to such things than conventional speakers, partly because of their different radiation pattern and wide panels. Ironically, they are less sensitive to side walls and floor/ceiling since they do not radiate much in those directions, but because they tend to send their energy straight ahead (and behind) they are more persnickety with respect to placement than many other speakers.

IME/IMO - Don
sgibson likes this.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #6096 of 6532 Old 05-16-2019, 04:31 PM

Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The Official Magnepan Owners Thread

Are the set screws that are on the speaker connectors required?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6097 of 6532 Old 05-16-2019, 04:40 PM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by torii View Post
almost did an impulse buy on a used 3 channel proceed amp...any opinions? https://www.ebay.com/itm/Proceed-HPA...frcectupt=true

my plan is to add a 3 channel amp for front 3 and use my nad amps for surround duty some day.

I have one of those. I run two 3.6R Maggie's surround and a center channel (B&W). It is a solid amp.
post #6098 of 6532 Old 05-16-2019, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question MG-1 base screws

Good afternoon,

I have a set of MG-1 speakers and the associated 2 black support base components. I do not have the 6 screws (3 each side) required however needed to attache the bases to the speakers. Rather than hauling the speakers down to the hardware shop can anyone provide me with the specifics (length, thread size, etc...) so I can purchase the proper screws? Thanks in advance....
post #6099 of 6532 Old 05-16-2019, 04:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicoff View Post
I have one of those. I run two 3.6R Maggie's surround and a center channel (B&W). It is a solid amp.

thank you, I might keep my eye out for one.

post #6100 of 6532 Old 05-16-2019, 06:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post
Maggies, and any dipole (planar-magnetic, ribbon, ESL) panel requires careful tweaking of position to dial them in. It takes a few hours, usually spread over a few weeks, to get them set "just right". Once you do, magic. It is much easier with the wall behind damped and with them a little away from the side walls but plan on some time regardless. Distance from back wall, amount of angle (toe-in), distance to the listening position, IME a dipole tends to be more sensitive to such things than conventional speakers, partly because of their different radiation pattern and wide panels. Ironically, they are less sensitive to side walls and floor/ceiling since they do not radiate much in those directions, but because they tend to send their energy straight ahead (and behind) they are more persnickety with respect to placement than many other speakers.

IME/IMO - Don
Don,
Thanks to all of you experienced Maggie, Planar owners for sharing your tips.
Makes my setup much easier knowing how to proceed.
I have temporary sound absorpsion in place behind each panel and some in between. I understand time and patience are needed to achieve the best
sound. I will proceed slowly, time is on my side

Regards,
sgibson
post #6101 of 6532 Old 05-16-2019, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders4life12 View Post
Are the set screws that are on the speaker connectors required?

Realistically, yes. You might be able to get banana plugs tight enough without them, but contact and cable retention is much better with them.

IME/IMO - Don

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #6102 of 6532 Old 05-16-2019, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Don,
Thanks to all of you experienced Maggie, Planar owners for sharing your tips.
Makes my setup much easier knowing how to proceed.
I have temporary sound absorpsion in place behind each panel and some in between. I understand time and patience are needed to achieve the best
sound. I will proceed slowly, time is on my side

Regards,
sgibson
NP. You probably don't need the one between but you can try it and see. Like any speaker, toe-in affects the image and soundstage. Too far out, and you get a "hole in the middle" effect. Toed too far in and the image loses separation. The effect is a bit exaggerated with Maggies (etc.) I usually ended up aiming them so the projected intersection point was a little behind the MLP. The closer you are to them the more toe-in you are likely to want, to a point. Most of the time I have preferred tweeters to the inside but that is very dependent upon your room setup and listening preferences. Magnepan suggests keeping the bass section a little closer to the listener than the tweeter, probably another reason I have typically placed tweeters inside (with a little toe-in that usually puts the tweeters a little further away than the bass panel).

With absorption (or diffusion) behind the panels, distance to the wall behind is less critical. You still have to deal with the LF, but comb filtering in the midbass on up is reduced (and hopefully inaudible). (Reflections from the wall behind combine with the direct sound in front, and the travel time means certain frequencies are out of phase with the front wave and cancel, causing ripples in the frequency response. The ripples tend to be narrow with fairly deep nulls like the space between the teeth on a comb, thus the name. If you listen for them they are vary audible -- certain frequencies disappear and the other sound emphasized because of that. I find it very annoying but many do not, or less so -- until I decide to share the misery and point them out! )

I tend to start with the panels a foot or two from the wall (depending upon the listening position) and 3' or so from the wall behind (can be less with absorption behind). I point them straight ahead (no tow in) and tweak them an inch or two at a time toward the listening position until the image "locks in". Alternatively turn them slightly to point the center of the panel right at the MLP then tweak them in a little, then out until you get the image you like. For me little excess toe-out (so they are aimed such that the intersection point of the perpendicular lines from each panel is a bit behind the MLP) provides a broader, more like-like image with a little more "space" and "depth". Pointing them right at the MLP provides a tighter image but tends to sound a little too "headphony" to me.

There's no right or wrong, so experiment a bit, listen a bit, and figue out what you like.

HTH - Don
sgibson likes this.

post #6103 of 6532 Old 05-16-2019, 06:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
NP. You probably don't need the one between but you can try it and see. Like any speaker, toe-in affects the image and soundstage. Too far out, and you get a "hole in the middle" effect. Toed too far in and the image loses separation. The effect is a bit exaggerated with Maggies (etc.) I usually ended up aiming them so the projected intersection point was a little behind the MLP. The closer you are to them the more toe-in you are likely to want, to a point. Most of the time I have preferred tweeters to the inside but that is very dependent upon your room setup and listening preferences. Magnepan suggests keeping the bass section a little closer to the listener than the tweeter, probably another reason I have typically placed tweeters inside (with a little toe-in that usually puts the tweeters a little further away than the bass panel).

With absorption (or diffusion) behind the panels, distance to the wall behind is less critical. You still have to deal with the LF, but comb filtering in the midbass on up is reduced (and hopefully inaudible). (Reflections from the wall behind combine with the direct sound in front, and the travel time means certain frequencies are out of phase with the front wave and cancel, causing ripples in the frequency response. The ripples tend to be narrow with fairly deep nulls like the space between the teeth on a comb, thus the name. If you listen for them they are vary audible -- certain frequencies disappear and the other sound emphasized because of that. I find it very annoying but many do not, or less so -- until I decide to share the misery and point them out! )

I tend to start with the panels a foot or two from the wall (depending upon the listening position) and 3' or so from the wall behind (can be less with absorption behind). I point them straight ahead (no tow in) and tweak them an inch or two at a time toward the listening position until the image "locks in". Alternatively turn them slightly to point the center of the panel right at the MLP then tweak them in a little, then out until you get the image you like. For me little excess toe-out (so they are aimed such that the intersection point of the perpendicular lines from each panel is a bit behind the MLP) provides a broader, more like-like image with a little more "space" and "depth". Pointing them right at the MLP provides a tighter image but tends to sound a little too "headphony" to me.

There's no right or wrong, so experiment a bit, listen a bit, and figue out what you like.

HTH - Don
Thanks Don,

I now know better how to start this journey

Regards,
sgibson
post #6104 of 6532 Old 05-16-2019, 06:48 PM

Some good advice about toe in. I remember I spent most of my time trying to figure out how much toe in I wanted. Its uncanny when you hear the image you are looking for.

For absorption if you need the WAF, I've used fake fescue/fern planters to put behind. It's not the same as absorption panels but is a good compromise with the ol lady.

Since my room has carpeting, I put quarters underneath the footers. 3 quarters stacked 4 per foot. So 8 stacks or $6 per speaker. I found that to be an inexpensive tweak to help tighten up the bass and image a bit.

sgibson and Scotth3886 like this.
post #6105 of 6532 Old 05-16-2019, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Realistically, yes. You might be able to get banana plugs tight enough without them, but contact and cable retention is much better with them.

IME/IMO - Don

I just bought blue jeans cable speaker cables and they have locking banana plugs and you can’t get the set screw into them.

post #6106 of 6532 Old 05-16-2019, 08:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 3754 Post(s)
Liked: 2303
Quote:

IME/IMO - Don

My 'solution' turned out to be a mostly live front wall so be sure to also give that a try once you think you otherwise have them placed property. Dipoles aren't easy as you know so plenty of patience is helpful.
sgibson likes this.
post #6107 of 6532 Old 05-17-2019, 03:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by threshold350 View Post
Some good advice about toe in. I remember I spent most of my time trying to figure out how much toe in I wanted. Its uncanny when you hear the image you are looking for.

For absorption if you need the WAF, I've used fake fescue/fern planters to put behind. It's not the same as absorption panels but is a good compromise with the ol lady.

Since my room has carpeting, I put quarters underneath the footers. 3 quarters stacked 4 per foot. So 8 stacks or $6 per speaker. I found that to be an inexpensive tweak to help tighten up the bass and image a bit.

threshold350,

Thanks for the tips.The quarters is a novel solution, as well as the plants.
Quarters is one idea, I always have too much change. I did buy 2-pairs of these to place under LRS Stand. Pickup at any hardware store.
Will allow you to side forward to raise or backward to lower stand to get the right panel tilt. (Then using Scotth3886 Tilt Meter Post-#6086, measure the "angle of the dangle" and jot it down for future reference!) Not all door stops do well on carpet, so be sure to choose accordingly. When you get the right spot, you can secure to stand with a piece of tape. Plants seem to be Wendell Diller's favorite tweek for setting up Magnepans Demo rooms. Maybe I can snatch a pair while the Missus isn't looking

sgibson
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Door Stop_Home Depot.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	2567872  
Scotth3886 likes this.
post #6108 of 6532 Old 05-17-2019, 11:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
threshold350,

Thanks for the tips.The quarters is a novel solution, as well as the plants.
Quarters is one idea, I always have too much change. I did buy 2-pairs of these to place under LRS Stand. Pickup at any hardware store.
Will allow you to side forward to raise or backward to lower stand to get the right panel tilt. (Then using Scotth3886 Tilt Meter Post-#6086, measure the "angle of the dangle" and jot it down for future reference!) Not all door stops do well on carpet, so be sure to choose accordingly. When you get the right spot, you can secure to stand with a piece of tape. Plants seem to be Wendell Diller's favorite tweek for setting up Magnepans Demo rooms. Maybe I can snatch a pair while the Missus isn't looking

sgibson
Hi guys,

Got the Magnepan LRS setup with Tweeters "IN".
Spaced apart at recommended 60% of distance from front panels to listening seat. Playing repeated "burn-in" track of 20Hz-20KHz (Remember when they were CPS...Cycles Per Second?)
Emotivia Amp volume level at 35.
RadioShack Analog SLM on DIY tripod setup at 1 meter from center line of panels.
SLM set C-Weighting, Slow-Response, 60Hz Range
On Left LRS get maximum reading of 62dB (Max appears to occur in lower Bass range.Emotiva PreAmp 80Hz crossover to Hsu VFT2-Mk4 12" Sub in Left corner
On Right LRS get maximum reading of 60dB.
I swapped Speaker inputs on amp and still get same readings.
I'm guessing the 2dB peak is due to Hsu sub on the left...correct?
Oh hell, simple solution, turn off the sub and read again...yes?

sgibson
post #6109 of 6532 Old 05-17-2019, 02:34 PM

So I played a full range sine wave sweep through the Maggie’s and I noticed a crackle at the top. Is this something to worry about? Would this be the amp or the speakers?

post #6110 of 6532 Old 05-17-2019, 03:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

crackles usually speakers

run some sweeps with tones or individual freq's and see if its all the time or just that once

Last edited by torii; 05-17-2019 at 03:40 PM.
post #6111 of 6532 Old 05-17-2019, 06:52 PM

Anyone have links to sweeps and tones?

post #6112 of 6532 Old 05-17-2019, 07:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Anyone have links to sweeps and tones?

this site has bunch of good stuff. https://www.audiocheck.net/audiotest...cychecklow.php

post #6113 of 6532 Old 05-18-2019, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by torii View Post

So did some more tones and from about 2khz up there is a crackle on sustained sine waves. This is on very low volume but when I turn the volume up it gets louder. Any ideas? Should I call Magnepan?

post #6114 of 6532 Old 05-18-2019, 09:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
So did some more tones and from about 2khz up there is a crackle on sustained sine waves. This is on very low volume but when I turn the volume up it gets louder. Any ideas? Should I call Magnepan?

Is this the 1.7i you ordered from Dealer or the used 3.7 mentioned in your earlier post#6032?
If the used 3.7, then consider this if you need to contact Magnepan.

Magnepan Limited 3 year Warranty states "LIMITED TO ORIGINAL PURCHASER.
This Warranty is for the sole benefit of the original purchaser of the covered product and shall not be transferred to a subsequent purchaser of the product."

Hope you get problem solved to your satisfaction...Good Luck!
post #6115 of 6532 Old 05-18-2019, 10:08 AM

Quote:

Sounds like delamination. That's my guess

post #6116 of 6532 Old 05-18-2019, 02:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

threshold350 post# may be the answer.

If delamination is the problem, lots of info on DIY fixing the problem.
Example: https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/foru...ic.php?t=46336.
Customers contacting Magnepan about repairing delamination are getting advice/support to help with the issue.

Good Luck
post #6117 of 6532 Old 05-18-2019, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Is this the 1.7i you ordered from Dealer or the used 3.7 mentioned in your earlier post#6032?

If the used 3.7, then consider this if you need to contact Magnepan.

Magnepan Limited 3 year Warranty states "LIMITED TO ORIGINAL PURCHASER.

This Warranty is for the sole benefit of the original purchaser of the covered product and shall not be transferred to a subsequent purchaser of the product."

Hope you get problem solved to your satisfaction...Good Luck!

Brand new 1.7i from the dealer

post #6118 of 6532 Old 05-18-2019, 05:02 PM

So called the dealer and he gave a lot of explanations that avoided the fact that the speakers could be the problem

1. He’s heard of this before
2. Since we hear it in both speakers he thinks it’s not the speakers and the source problem.
HE thinks it could be due to our amp to an extension cord then to strip them to wall
He said to also check cables etc.

post #6119 of 6532 Old 05-18-2019, 06:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So called the dealer and he gave a lot of explanations that avoided the fact that the speakers could be the problem

2. Since we hear it in both speakers he thinks it’s not the speakers and the source problem.
HE thinks it could be due to our amp to an extension cord then to strip them to wall

so sorry for issues...I would tell my local dealer to come set my **** up...like I have in past.

post #6120 of 6532 Old 05-18-2019, 06:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Well, time to see if any of our resident "Maggie" gurus can step in and help you.
Lots of smart folks here, myself I'm just a "Maggie" newbie.
But, I would try process of elimination and see if any suggestions by your Dealer helps. If they don't let the Dealer know.

Good Luck Raiders4life12!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Magnepan , Magnepan Mmg , Magnepan Mini Maggie System , Magnepan Mg 1 7 , Magnepan Mg 3 7

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page