The Official Magnepan Owners Thread - Page 210 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 551Likes

Old 06-17-2019, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3748 Post(s)
Liked: 2300
Quote:
Originally Posted by torii View Post
I did, like apr 25 or something

Ok, you ordered about 10 days after I did so you should be coming up soon.
torii likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2019, 02:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotth3886 View Post
To all who await their Magnepan LRSs, found this recent explanation on the delay by Wendell Diller of Magnepan - posted on Planar Speaker Asylum:

https://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/vt.mpl?f=mug&m=237095
Old 06-17-2019, 03:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hi.

Couple questions: How to the LRS and the MMGi compare? Which one would you get over those particular models?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2019, 04:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgibson View Post
To all who await their Magnepan LRSs, found this recent explanation on the delay by Wendell Diller of Magnepan - posted on Planar Speaker Asylum:

As the poster, Mike K, stated:

"Thank you for your post. Thank you for your products too.

My annoyance is with lack of accurate - or even semi-accurate - estimates
of delivery times, and with the lack of proactive contact with customers
telling them that "Well, we promised delivery on June 1, but now it looks
like delivery will be on June 15". People are understanding about delays
if you keep them informed proactively.

As Benjamin Franklin (or someone) once said: Under-promise and over-deliver.
"

I'm old and maybe could be considered semi-retired. I still do deals, but am out of town a bunch for collector car related events during the good weather season. Thanks to being computer literate I can still do my business regardless of where I am, but what I can't do is sign for a UPS delivery if I have no idea in hell when they're going to be shipped. Many or most of the registration fees for the these events are non-refundable and same with HOtel reservations. So it puts a real crimp in my plans if I don't have any idea where I am in the cue. I don't think its unreasonable to ask if there are 5 orders in front of me or 500 and they produce xx number per day +/- and I'll figure out the rest. I didn't care if mine were going to take four months, but not knowing at all and being told 'next week' 'next week' time after time isn't helpful. So according to Murphy's law, they would get here while I was gone and no one here to sign for them and after three delivery attempts, they get sent back. Or they get left on my front porch and sit there until I get back. I'm not so much worried about theft around here as I am storms.
Old 06-17-2019, 04:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yllanos View Post
Hi.

Couple questions: How to the LRS and the MMGi compare? Which one would you get over those particular models?

Thanks

It's been a very long time since I had similarly sized SMGs, but to the best that I can recall, these are far far better. I don't recall having MMGs, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if I did at one point.
Old 06-17-2019, 04:34 PM
_tk
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:

I'm old and maybe could be considered semi-retired. I still do deals, but am out of town a bunch for collector car related events during the good weather season. Thanks to being computer literate I can still do my business regardless of where I am, but what I can't do is sign for a UPS delivery if I have no idea in hell when they're going to be shipped. Many or most of the registration fees for the these events are non-refundable and same with HOtel reservations. So it puts a real crimp in my plans if I don't have any idea where I am in the cue. I don't think its unreasonable to ask if there are 5 orders in front of me or 500 and they produce xx number per day +/- and I'll figure out the rest. I didn't care if mine were going to take four months, but not knowing at all and being told 'next week' 'next week' time after time isn't helpful. So according to Murphy's law, they would get here while I was gone and no one here to sign for them and after three delivery attempts, they get sent back. Or they get left on my front porch and sit there until I get back. I'm not so much worried about theft around here as I am storms.

I had Fedex leave a $4K amplifier in the middle of my front patio instead of 6 feet over under the porch that is clearly covered (and as it plainly said to do on delivery instructions and in my delivery profile).

And of course, it rained. UPS seems to be much better at this as I always have the same guy, but the FedEx people are complete random morons.
Old 06-17-2019, 04:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _tk View Post
I had Fedex leave a $4K amplifier in the middle of my front patio instead of 6 feet over under the porch that is clearly covered (and as it plainly said to do on delivery instructions and in my delivery profile).

And of course, it rained. UPS seems to be much better at this as I always have the same guy, but the FedEx people are complete random morons.

Its Columbus, what else would it be doing such as right now? In re the Magnepans, I thought there had to be a delivery signature, but my usual driver who knows I'm mostly home was just going to leave them. By the time I got to the door, he was getting back in his truck to leave. I yelled 'thank you' to him so he wouldn't wonder if I'd had got them in the house.
Old 06-17-2019, 11:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3319 Post(s)
Liked: 1873
Quote:

well doing math from the guy w/apr 7th order....it will be a couple more months...the guy that tells me on phone 2-3 weeks...to next week, to next week....deserves 0 stars. unless he gets paid to lie...I dont think I will ever like this company...all because the guy on the phone.

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
Old 06-18-2019, 12:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1860 Post(s)
Liked: 3377
Quote:
Originally Posted by _tk View Post

UPS drivers are trained to hide stuff best they can. How well followed this is, I don't know. I've seen a few complaints here and there about them hiding them too well.
Old 06-18-2019, 03:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drh3b View Post
UPS drivers are trained to hide stuff best they can. How well followed this is, I don't know. I've seen a few complaints here and there about them hiding them too well.
Some things are just too Big to hide...
(That's not the homeowner struggling with the big screen TV)
No that's not mine. My son and I used his truck to pickup local
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Porch Pirate at work.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	2581418  

Last edited by sgibson; 06-18-2019 at 03:23 AM.
Old 06-18-2019, 05:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
well doing math from the guy w/apr 7th order....it will be a couple more months...the guy that tells me on phone 2-3 weeks...to next week, to next week....deserves 0 stars. unless he gets paid to lie...I dont think I will ever like this company...all because the guy on the phone.

Yep, this is the issue with Eric. Upon first speaking with him, seemed like a nice enough guy, but after playing rope-a-dope in the roundabout a few times, this gets old fast. Wendell and Mark have an issue to deal with.

Last thing on earth I needed is another pair of speakers and especially during the summer so if it's going to be September or whenever, fine, just tell me. This 'next week' crap makes me change plans so I can be here.

Now, they did get here and undamaged, plus I really like them so I'm set, but I didn't much care for the process.
sgibson and torii like this.
Old 06-18-2019, 07:22 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
It's been a very long time since I had similarly sized SMGs, but to the best that I can recall, these are far far better. I don't recall having MMGs, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if I did at one point.
I'm not sure I follow which one you mean, but... Thanks?
Old 06-18-2019, 07:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1860 Post(s)
Liked: 3377
Quote:
As the poster, Mike K, stated:

"Thank you for your post. Thank you for your products too.

My annoyance is with lack of accurate - or even semi-accurate - estimates
of delivery times, and with the lack of proactive contact with customers
telling them that "Well, we promised delivery on June 1, but now it looks
like delivery will be on June 15". People are understanding about delays
if you keep them informed proactively.

As Benjamin Franklin (or someone) once said: Under-promise and over-deliver.
"

Get an account at UPS.COM, and there you should be able to reschedule deliveries for a $5 fee, or if you aren't far from the hub, hold it for pick up(free), or even have it delivered somewhere else.
Old 06-18-2019, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yllanos View Post
I'm not sure I follow which one you mean, but... Thanks?

These are SMGs

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index....r-smgs.241243/
Old 06-18-2019, 08:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drh3b View Post
Get an account at UPS.COM, and there you should be able to reschedule deliveries for a $5 fee, or if you aren't far from the hub, hold it for pick up(free), or even have it delivered somewhere else.

I have an account. By ground, I'm one day or at most two day delivery away. When I'm out of town at an event such as Hot Rod Power Tour, etc., I'm not watching email particularly closely unless I know something is truly shipping. UPS is very rough on packages (if we recall what happened to my Elac towers from a year or so ago) so I didn't want them taken back to UPS to delay delivery. If I know for sure that something is on the way the next week, I change my plans and stay here.
torii likes this.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked: 739
Quote:

Is there worse forum software still used on the Internet than what Audio Asylum uses? One thinks it must be purposely bad...
sgibson and Scotth3886 like this.

Display: Vizio P55-E1l Pre-pro: Marantz 7703; Amps: Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 1, H/K AVR 520 (direct in to amps); Sources: Sony UBP-X700; X-box 1 S; Technics 1200 Mk II; Win10 PC for digital; Phono Preamp: Emotiva XPS-1; Speakers - LR: Philharmonic BMR LR, Center: Emotiva Airmotiv C2; Surrounds: Wharfedale Reva-2; Rear Surrounds: Wharfedale Diamond 220; Atmos: TF - Monoprice Alpha 8; TR - BIC VI-38; Subwoofers: dual Rythmik L22s
Old 06-18-2019, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesDaddy56 View Post
Is there worse forum software still used on the Internet than what Audio Asylum uses? One thinks it must be purposely bad...
You mean, old. I bet it's the same as it was 25 years ago.
Old 06-18-2019, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
No where near as purty as avsforum either
Old 06-18-2019, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yep, this is the issue with Eric. Upon first speaking with him, seemed like a nice enough guy, but after playing rope-a-dope in the roundabout a few times, this gets old fast. Wendell and Mark have an issue to deal with.

Last thing on earth I needed is another pair of speakers and especially during the summer so if it's going to be September or whenever, fine, just tell me. This 'next week' crap makes me change plans so I can be here.

Now, they did get here and undamaged, plus I really like them so I'm set, but I didn't much care for the process.
After seeing CNET review by Guttenberg and one week prior to *AXPONA2019, April 4th I called Eric and placed my Order for LRSs. He seemed very friendly and happy to do so. Said 2 weeks at the latest. April 16th I called to check on status of my order...Eric was less than courteous now. Kinda snappy. Said maybe another 2-3weeks. (I didn't realize it then, but just returning from *AXPONA2019 and all the praise heaped on Magnepan LRS (Stereophile couldn't believe this was only $650 bucks. https://www.stereophile.com/content/...rs-loudspeaker)
*Being a newbie to High End Audio, I had to Google AXPONA2019...I didn't even know what it meant!
I guess the phone must have been ringing off the hook when Wendell and Company returned home to White Bear Lake. Hell, it's probably still ringing off the Hook. I did note the date Eric confirmed my order was placed as April 4. When the LRSs finally arrived on May 14th the date ordered on the shipping list was April 14. They were an early Gift from my wife, otherwise I would have waited till June.
Scotth3886 likes this.
Old 06-18-2019, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No where near as purty as avsforum either

Purdiness is why I'm here. The car related forums I've been on, some as long as 20+ years were one by one bought up by Vertical Scope. So since the software was familiar, this made more sense.
Old 06-18-2019, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
After seeing CNET review by Guttenberg and one week prior to *AXPONA2019, April 4th I called Eric and placed my Order for LRSs. He seemed very friendly and happy to do so. Said 2 weeks at the latest. April 16th I called to check on status of my order...Eric was less than courteous now. Kinda snappy. Said maybe another 2-3weeks. (I didn't realize it then, but just returning from *AXPONA2019 and all the praise heaped on Magnepan LRS (Stereophile couldn't believe this was only $650 bucks. https://www.stereophile.com/content/...rs-loudspeaker)
*Being a newbie to High End Audio, I had to Google AXPONA2019...I didn't even know what it meant!
I guess the phone must have been ringing off the hook when Wendell and Company returned home to White Bear Lake. Hell, it's probably still ringing off the Hook. I did note the date Eric confirmed my order was placed as April 4. When the LRSs finally arrived on May 14th the date ordered on the shipping list was April 14. They were an early Gift from my wife, otherwise I would have waited till June.

My fart too as I live blogged not only from the show, but from the room as I was listening to them that this was the best sound of the show.
Old 06-18-2019, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked: 739
Quote:
Not just old, it was bad when it was new. Seriously, I did some forums back in the late 90s and early 2000s using WAY better platform than that. It's like trying to emulate Usenet and make a thread as cumbersome as possible to read through.

Display: Vizio P55-E1l Pre-pro: Marantz 7703; Amps: Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 1, H/K AVR 520 (direct in to amps); Sources: Sony UBP-X700; X-box 1 S; Technics 1200 Mk II; Win10 PC for digital; Phono Preamp: Emotiva XPS-1; Speakers - LR: Philharmonic BMR LR, Center: Emotiva Airmotiv C2; Surrounds: Wharfedale Reva-2; Rear Surrounds: Wharfedale Diamond 220; Atmos: TF - Monoprice Alpha 8; TR - BIC VI-38; Subwoofers: dual Rythmik L22s
Old 06-18-2019, 02:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesDaddy56 View Post
Not just old, it was bad when it was new. Seriously, I did some forums back in the late 90s and early 2000s using WAY better platform than that. It's like trying to emulate Usenet and make a thread as cumbersome as possible to read through.

I was a mod in the AOL chatrooms back in the 1850s so sorta like that.
BluesDaddy56 likes this.
Old 06-19-2019, 06:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I was a mod in the AOL chatrooms back in the 1850s so sorta like that.
"back in the 1850s"???...you mean 1890s, right?
Old 06-19-2019, 06:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
"back in the 1850s"???...you mean 1890s, right?

Late 80s. Remember DOS. Days of no internet?
Old 06-19-2019, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I received my bank's notification that Magnepan just charged my C C. I ordered my pair on 4/25/19, so that's about a 2 month wait. I also received UPS delivery notice for 6/25.

I can't wait to hear how they stack up against my 2012 MMGs and also how well they do against my Thiel 7.2s (which, at this point in my life, I would like to sell - too old to move these heavy beasts around anymore).

I'm really hoping all the talk about the sound is true, since I usually find it's way overstated.

Last edited by Rizlaw; 06-19-2019 at 02:03 PM.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Late 80s. Remember DOS. Days of no internet?

I remember the DOS days before "Plug n' Pray"...WinBlows 95.
Lots of fun booting into DOS and cussin' to get my 2400 Baud Modem to work. After much more fun, connected to the INTERNET and there it was C:/ prompt. Then on to Prodigy. That's all until Windows 3.0 & Netscape made it easier with GUI.

Well now, guess we better get back onto Magnepan LRS topic.
So what's new with your thoughts on matching Tubes to the LRS?
Old 06-19-2019, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I remember the DOS days before "Plug n' Pray"...WinBlows 95.
Lots of fun booting into DOS and cussin' to get my 2400 Baud Modem to work. After much more fun, connected to the INTERNET and there it was C:/ prompt. Then on to Prodigy. That's all until Windows 3.0 & Netscape made it easier with GUI.

Well now, guess we better get back onto Magnepan LRS topic.
So what's new with your thoughts on matching Tubes to the LRS?
I used mostly tubes with Maggies starting almost 50 years. I say hell yes.
Old 06-19-2019, 01:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3319 Post(s)
Liked: 1873
sweet....Scheduled Delivery Date: Monday, 06/24/2019
sgibson, Scotth3886, drh3b and 1 others like this.

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
Old 06-19-2019, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
sweet....Scheduled Delivery Date: Monday, 06/24/2019

Way to go Torii!
Scotth3886 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Magnepan , Magnepan Mmg , Magnepan Mini Maggie System , Magnepan Mg 1 7 , Magnepan Mg 3 7