The Official Magnepan Owners Thread - Page 230 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 826Likes

post #6871 of 6991 Old 09-22-2019, 12:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3592 Post(s)
Liked: 2027
attached is just 1st run with maggies and rew....I posted before, but I dont see how great subs cant solve your problem. you can see what subs do in my graph(granted subs were calibrated for my focals...not maggies) but I know I could calibrate subs to work fine with maggies...at least my velodyne and rythmik subs can.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	magnepan lrs.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	2618758  

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6872 of 6991 Old 09-22-2019, 12:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1300 Post(s)
Liked: 737
@grigorianvlad have you tried the Maggie’s without the subs?

Wondering if you’re getting a cancellation null or something similar.
post #6873 of 6991 Old 09-22-2019, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 718
Quote:
Originally Posted by torii View Post
attached is just 1st run with maggies and rew....I posted before, but I dont see how great subs cant solve your problem. you can see what subs do in my graph(granted subs were calibrated for my focals...not maggies) but I know I could calibrate subs to work fine with maggies...at least my velodyne and rythmik subs can.
I know nothing about REW graphs. Please explain what the graph shows and how that is relevant.

Site. DAC: Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ || Processor: Marantz AV8801 11.2 Ch || Power Amp: Audio Research Reference 75 (75W tube) || Speakers: Magnepan 3.5R/Polk LSiM707 || Sub 1: REL 212/SE (1,000W). Sub 2: REL S/3 (400W). Sub 3: Sunfire TS-EQ12 (2,700W). || Cables: Cardas Clear, MIT Matrix & T || Power: PS Audio P5 || Headphones: HifiMan HE560 || Turntable: Pro-Ject RPM5 Carbon w SoundSmith Zephyr MKIII
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6874 of 6991 Old 09-22-2019, 02:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

basically rew is software where hook up a mic to computer and puter to avr/stereo (hdmi/usb). then play stuff on computer liker tones or music and rew software records/anlyzes for free. my grap above shows my measurements at my mlp for maggie lrs...left, right, both, and both with my subs on(subs calibrated to my focals at this time). so if look at my graph, my maggie lrs pretty good from 60hz to 10k hz or so....so in theory in my space I just need to fill in below 60 hz....my subs show they have huge boost. however like I said subs calibrated for focals not maggie.

post #6875 of 6991 Old 09-22-2019, 03:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
basically rew is software where hook up a mic to computer and puter to avr/stereo (hdmi/usb). then play stuff on computer liker tones or music and rew software records/anlyzes for free. my grap above shows my measurements at my mlp for maggie lrs...left, right, both, and both with my subs on(subs calibrated to my focals at this time). so if look at my graph, my maggie lrs pretty good from 60hz to 10k hz or so....so in theory in my space I just need to fill in below 60 hz....my subs show they have huge boost. however like I said subs calibrated for focals not maggie.
Got it, thank you. I gotta try that REW thing. Looks great!

Site. DAC: Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ || Processor: Marantz AV8801 11.2 Ch || Power Amp: Audio Research Reference 75 (75W tube) || Speakers: Magnepan 3.5R/Polk LSiM707 || Sub 1: REL 212/SE (1,000W). Sub 2: REL S/3 (400W). Sub 3: Sunfire TS-EQ12 (2,700W). || Cables: Cardas Clear, MIT Matrix & T || Power: PS Audio P5 || Headphones: HifiMan HE560 || Turntable: Pro-Ject RPM5 Carbon w SoundSmith Zephyr MKIII
post #6876 of 6991 Old 09-22-2019, 03:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grigorianvlad View Post
Got it, thank you. I gotta try that REW thing. Looks great!
its a deep dive tool, but its free. well need 100 dollar mic and laptop or whatnot....
grigorianvlad likes this.

post #6877 of 6991 Old 09-22-2019, 03:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
its a deep dive tool, but its free. well need 100 dollar mic and laptop or whatnot....
How is it different from Dirac?

post #6878 of 6991 Old 09-22-2019, 03:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
How is it different from Dirac?
it just shows the results...dirac takes results and uses their science to fix.

post #6879 of 6991 Old 09-22-2019, 04:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 3997 Post(s)
Liked: 2464
Quote:
I only ran REW a few times with my LRSs. Looked pretty good other than it fell pretty quickly below 48hz. Pretty much as expected.

I didn't save the graphs because the speakers were brand new and I thought I'd get back on it once they were broken in a bit. Needless to say, like so many things, I never got around to it.
grigorianvlad and torii like this.
post #6880 of 6991 Old 09-22-2019, 04:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I dont get back to em either...but I try hard to get left and right similar....oh, and bass smooth....more I play with rew more I know what I care about vs bull****.

post #6881 of 6991 Old 09-23-2019, 09:31 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
It is the apotheosis of idiocy to list a pair of speakers for sale and at the same time buy options to improve them. In the end you end up with the unsold speakers and the unsold improvement, which may or may not work.
This pertains to the absence of bass in my 3.5R's. I wonder if getting a pair of Magnepan DWM bass panels ($1,500/pair) will resolve or at least alleviate the situation? These will not be used in concert with the subs, only handling the midrange to bass crossover range (<200hz).
Some food for thought.
1) As I understand their construction (please correct me if I am as always wrong) , the bass panels are to be the first on the cable run from the power amp. They reproduce the bass section and send the upper range (MID+TREBLE) to the floorstanding Magnepans. So, the panels can be powered by the existing power amps, no need for an additional amp.
2) Each DWM panel is a stereo bass panel, meaning it has a separate diaphragm for L and R . A pair doubles the output.
3) Each panel can go down to 1ohm, robbing the mains of power
4) The added surface of even a pair of the DWM panel is less than the 3.5R's built in bass panel surface, which is approx 76%. Therefore , a pair of DWM will create less bass than the speakers, provided speakers' bass section is intact. If it is not, it is possible that the bass panels will be capable to simply take over and replace/recreate the bass section of the main speakers, meaning the 3.5R's crossover box will have no bass cable connected, only the MID+TREBLE.
Who has any experience with the bass panels? How much bass do they create? Are the assumptions about their connections correct?
I use my DWM to support my CC5 center channel and anything under 55 Hz is crossed over to a Rythmik F12 Sub. I use the Rythmik F12 to support my L/R 1.7s and my MC1 surrounds. I tried the DWM with my main L/R and I was underwhelmed. My sub works remarkably well.

Give some thought to using a sub to augment your mains ..... DWM does not have much, if any, usable below 40Hz and lacks the "impact" on percussive transients that a good sub provides.

Just my opinion based upon my system in my room.

Magnepan 1.7's (LR), Magnepan CC5/DWM (Center Channel), Magnepan MC1's (Surrounds), Rythmik F12 (Sub), Emotiva XMC-1 (Processor), Emotiva XPA-2 Gen2 Drives the 1.7's, Emotiva XPA-5 Drives the Center and Surrounds, Oppo BDP-103 (Audio/Video Source), Oppo UDP-203 (Audio/Video Source), Apple TV 4K (Audio/Video Source), Sony PS4 (Audio/Video Source), LG OLED65B6P (Monitor)
post #6882 of 6991 Old 09-23-2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stustan View Post
Some of you might know this already but I will repeat this for all the newer denizens on this thread, and as a basis for what I am about to write. I am a motion picture and television sound editor for the past forty years. Currently I am the sound supervisor on a major television series. With that said ..... I have had 40 years of listening to our the mixes in state of the art re-recording mix theaters .... woking on major feature films, independent feature films, major and minor budgeted documentaries, and episodic network television.

With all that exposure to state of the art audio ..... I have owned Magnepans for thirty five years. At home, there is nothing else that I would prefer to listen to. When I arrived at work yesterday and chatted with the head re-recording mixers and sound supervisors of the facility where I am editing, they told me something pretty amazing (to me at least!). I have known one of these individuals for well over 25 years. He told me that when they are mixing in the facilities largest and most advanced mix theater ..... they were always unhappy with the sound of 2 track music when listening to relax and wind down. Imagine my surprise when he told me they just purchased hi-end amplification and a pair of Magnepan 1.7i's !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

The mix theaters dimensions are: 48x36x15 and I don't think that applies to the area behind the mixers and editors where the producers gather and work. I was told they move the Maggies to a position centered to the projection screen and leave about 20 ft between the screen and the Maggies ..... their main listening position is in front of the mixing board ...... they have moveable lounge seats. They move the Maggies to the sidewall when they begin to mix again .... and then move them back when they want to hear the Maggies. I don't have any other news, at the moment, except those who have listened to the "strange panels" have been favorably impressed.

When things settle and I have a listen, do you want me to report back when I have more details. I will find out what amps they are using. I will take note of the physical distances of their setup, tweeters in or out, etc.

What say you??
My apologies for the long delay ..... the studio was finally "quiet" at lunch today and I had a short (20 minute) listen. After listening for two minutes I immediately moved the speakers further from the screen (front wall) and they were amazed at that improvement. I moved them from 4 ft to about 10 ft from the front wall. They sit about 15 feet from the speakers. I immediately moved the speakers closer to each other ..... they were too far apart and the center image was too diffuse. I immediately swapped the speakers from tweeter outside to tweeters inside (showed them how to see the tweeters with my iPhone flashlight) because they were still separated by a fairly large distance. and boy did everything snap into place! They were quite excited by the improvement ...... I told them the bill was in the mail!!!

The speakers and electronics are all very, very new and need much more time to break-in. They are aware of that. We will get together after break-in to do the "Maggie Dance" and fine tune placement.

The equipment that I was able to ascertain are as follows:

Amplification PS Audio M700 Mono Block Amplifiers. 350 watts into 8 Ohms and 700 watts into 4 Ohms
DAC: Schitt Audio Gungnir
Pre-Amp: Freya + Tube Pre_Amp

They are so happy with the system that I did not tell them I think the room is too big for the 1.7's. They tried the studio subs but said the low end was "too wide". When I asked them what frequency they crossed at .... they didn't know. It seems that Dolby Labs sets the crossover frequency for theatrical mixing when they tuned for the current project They cannot adjust those settings because they are still mixing. I told them the studio subs might be set to a frequency that is near 80 to 100 Hz and the low end might have become localized. They love the natural low end without augmentation. They listen mostly to acoustic jazz, but I suggested they purchase a Rythmic for the 1.7's and play around with that.

That's it for now ..... I will report back when I listen again ...... Oh and my new room starts construction in two weeks!!!!
threshold350 likes this.

Magnepan 1.7's (LR), Magnepan CC5/DWM (Center Channel), Magnepan MC1's (Surrounds), Rythmik F12 (Sub), Emotiva XMC-1 (Processor), Emotiva XPA-2 Gen2 Drives the 1.7's, Emotiva XPA-5 Drives the Center and Surrounds, Oppo BDP-103 (Audio/Video Source), Oppo UDP-203 (Audio/Video Source), Apple TV 4K (Audio/Video Source), Sony PS4 (Audio/Video Source), LG OLED65B6P (Monitor)

Last edited by stustan; 09-23-2019 at 01:55 PM.
post #6883 of 6991 Old 09-23-2019, 01:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stustan View Post
My apologies for the long delay ..... the studio was finally "quiet" at lunch today and I had a short (20 minute) listen. After listening for two minutes I immediately moved the speakers further from the screen (back wall) and they were amazed at that improvement. I moved them from 4 ft to about 10 ft from the back wall. They sit about 15 feet from the speakers. I immediately moved the speakers closer to each other ..... they were too far apart and the center image was too diffuse. I immediately swapped the speakers from tweeter outside to tweeters inside (showed them how to see the tweeters with my iPhone flashlight) because they were still separated by a fairly large distance. and boy did everything snap into place! They were quite excited by the improvement ...... I told them the bill was in the mail!!!

The speakers and electronics are all very, very new and need much more time to break-in. They are aware of that. We will get together after break-in to do the "Maggie Dance" and fine tune placement.

The equipment that I was able to ascertain are as follows:

Amplification PS Audio M700 Mono Block Amplifiers. 350 watts into 8 Ohms and 700 watts into 4 Ohms
DAC: Schitt Audio Gungnir
Pre-Amp: Freya + Tube Pre_Amp

They are so happy with the system that I did not tell them I think the room is too big for the 1.7's. They tried the studio subs but said the low end was "too wide". When I asked them what frequency they crossed at .... they didn't know. It seems that Dolby Labs sets the crossover frequency for theatrical mixing when they tuned for the current project They cannot adjust those settings because they are still mixing. I told them the studio subs might be set to a frequency that is near 80 to 100 Hz and the low end might have become localized. They love the natural low end without augmentation. They listen mostly to acoustic jazz, but I suggested they purchase a Rythmic for the 1.7's and play around with that.

That's it for now ..... I will report back when I listen again ...... Oh and my new room starts construction in two weeks!!!!
"I moved them from 4 ft to about 10 ft from the back wall."

I presume you mean front wall?
post #6884 of 6991 Old 09-23-2019, 01:56 PM

Oops thanks!!!! I did mean front wall ...... I posted that quickly on my lunch break ...... I amended my original post.

post #6885 of 6991 Old 09-23-2019, 05:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Decided to create a separate listening room for the Maggies. It is next to the main analog room.
Question. Why does Airplay (DLNA) sound so crappy next to Bluetooth which sounds terrific even without an external DAC?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3.5R.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	989.7 KB
ID:	2619312  

post #6886 of 6991 Old 09-24-2019, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Question. Why does Airplay (DLNA) sound so crappy next to Bluetooth which sounds terrific even without an external DAC?
Replying to myself. DLNA should sound better because it is lossless, while Bluetooth is not. reference.
But it sounded worse because that input (NETWORK) didn't have Audyssey room correction applied. The BLUETOOTH input did.
That's why the difference.

post #6887 of 6991 Old 09-24-2019, 06:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Still in search of solutions for the 3.5/R.
Stumbled on this guy from the Netherlands that makes custom crossovers exclusively with Mundorf components. The picture shows his crossover next to the stock one for 3.6 speakers. His name is Koos Schenk of TAF speakers.

From a review:

Quote:
I was able to get the crossovers on loan while assessing them and this was very welcome as I had to get used to the different sound: much fuller bass, rounder and more sonorous, and a much more glorious midrange. But in the process the sound also felt slightly less “immediate”, or less speedy.
I contacted Mr Schenk for a quote. It looks like his company TAF makes speakers and amps and he makes these crossovers as a side gig.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Magnepan-3.6-upgrade-crossover_550pix-IMG_7322.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	195.7 KB
ID:	2619652   Click image for larger version

Name:	Magnepan_3.6_upgrade_crossover_550pix-IMG_8373.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	2619654  

post #6888 of 6991 Old 09-24-2019, 06:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

when I was into very expensive car audio competitions just about all the brands had clear cased crossovers. I used ads, nakamichi, mb quart, focal and cough/****/crab jbl....granted nothing like what you posted....but I will say in todays age I like smaller.

post #6889 of 6991 Old 09-25-2019, 03:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
when I was into very expensive car audio competitions just about all the brands had clear cased crossovers. I used ads, nakamichi, mb quart, focal and cough/****/crab jbl....granted nothing like what you posted....but I will say in todays age I like smaller.
torii,

I gotta agree with you. Unlike my past tastes for BIG subs (see attached) I prefer them smaller these days.
See attached
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BTTF Subwoofer.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	198.2 KB
ID:	2619918  
post #6890 of 6991 Old 09-25-2019, 03:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgibson View Post
torii,

I gotta agree with you. Unlike my past tastes for BIG subs (see attached) I prefer them smaller these days.
See attached
I wish my father was younger and I was richer....cause my dad has built 2x 10k sq ft homes by himself(rented the gear to dig out full basement, 8 fireplaces, own gas station etc....crazy ****) and I was richer to pay for him to build me my dream home. my childhood home that he built took 6 yrs to complete all by himself/he fell off roof building chimney, broke 6 ribs and crawled half mile to nearest home with a phone. the good old days...

my point is would of built killer custom home with subs everywhere...probably hidden in walls/floor/ceiling
sgibson likes this.

post #6891 of 6991 Old 09-25-2019, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
I wish my father was younger and I was richer....cause my dad has built 2x 10k sq ft homes by himself(rented the gear to dig out full basement, 8 fireplaces, own gas station etc....crazy ****) and I was richer to pay for him to build me my dream home. my childhood home that he built took 6 yrs to complete all by himself/he fell off roof building chimney, broke 6 ribs and crawled half mile to nearest home with a phone. the good old days...

my point is would of built killer custom home with subs everywhere...probably hidden in walls/floor/ceiling
Great Story, thanks for sharing.
Many years ago, my Dad came home with a big cardboard tube (way before Concrete forms). Cut out a port ,mounted a big speaker in it, and proceeded to blow out matches from several feet away. But then he moved onto other interests. Nothing he couldn't do once he set his mind to it.
We both share awesome Dads
torii likes this.
post #6892 of 6991 Old 09-25-2019, 06:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

thanx sgibson. I sometimes like telling stories of my family and sometimes not. Im glad you also have awesome dad. my dad just recovered from 2nd stroke and prior 3 heartattacks including 5 bypass and decided its time to build another house so just closed on some land in delaware....he paying for this one to be built under his engineering eyes.....I need to dig deeper to pull out the mojo my dad has....but at least he loves audio and taught me. he rocks AR speaks, mcintosh pre, sae amps. and now an apple watch with some heart monitoring **** or something my bro feeding him tech wise.
sgibson likes this.

post #6893 of 6991 Old 09-25-2019, 09:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
I ordered mine like a week after scott and received a couple more weeks longer...Im sure they are swamped as these speakers amaze for classical/well recorded music.
I called them today and I ordered August 14th it seems. The women I talked to in the ordering department said they just finished the batch of speakers for the people who ordered LRSs in July. August is next and will take about 10 weeks from August 14th. ETA late October. The strange thing is it seems I ordered well before August, but I may be mistaken. I ordered so long ago my cell phone log has no record.
sgibson, torii and Scotth3886 like this.
post #6894 of 6991 Old 09-25-2019, 09:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I was tempted to cancel my order just a week or 2 prior to receiving....mainly cause phone calls didnt produce any information. the phone calls could even relay my order was placed(my major concern cause I have tbi and memory issues)...for the price I am happy I stuck with order as they are very enjoyable for me. they open a depth and imaging I really havent heard before in my home. I have heard many maggies and martin logans in showrooms but always ruled them out due to size. these are just fantastic for me.
sgibson and Scotth3886 like this.

post #6895 of 6991 Old 09-26-2019, 02:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesyates View Post
I called them today and I ordered August 14th it seems. The women I talked to in the ordering department said they just finished the batch of speakers for the people who ordered LRSs in July. August is next and will take about 10 weeks from August 14th. ETA late October. The strange thing is it seems I ordered well before August, but I may be mistaken. I ordered so long ago my cell phone log has no record.
If you give them a credit card number and email address, we 'should' be getting an order confirmation when we place an order, but we aren't, obviously. However, if you ordered Aug 14th then you're way early for them to be ready.

They really have a screwed up system or more like, no system, and operating like it's 1960 or something. That being said, mine are on all day everyday so I'm glad I hung around a little longer.
sgibson likes this.
post #6896 of 6991 Old 09-26-2019, 05:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Does the LRS happen to be the “right” size, is it the price or what?

If the .7 was under $1000 would it sell just as well or does the LRS have something different that makes it so appealing?

Chris
post #6897 of 6991 Old 09-26-2019, 06:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2034 Post(s)
Liked: 4055
Quote:
Originally Posted by laserjock II View Post

If the .7 was under $1000 would it sell just as well or does the LRS have something different that makes it so appealing?

Chris
It's the price, for me, although I have 7 1/2 ceilings, and a right angle turn into the basement, so it can be hard to get big things down here. I'm willing to take the chance at $715 for something I think I'll like. If I don't, they'll just go upstairs on a non critical system. My only real worry is whether I'll be able to play them as loud as I'd like. I fully expect to enjoy them and switch back and forth between them and my current Klipsch RP setup that isn't going anywhere.

My World Beating System!
Spoiler!
post #6898 of 6991 Old 09-26-2019, 06:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

size and price...I listen to them during day in my living space pulled out 8ft into room. then when wife gets home from work I put them up against wall. easy peasy. they do some music really well also is main reason....they are being compared with 5k focal speakers. they stand on their own.

post #6899 of 6991 Old 09-26-2019, 06:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

So, if ordered a pair of the .7 would they be available to ship right away?

I wonder if Austin has a dealer.

Chris
post #6900 of 6991 Old 09-26-2019, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserjock II View Post

Chris
It's certainly the right price. Plus, the right size as in not much more floor space than my tower Elac F6.2s and not tall enough to completely block the window behind them. And then the sound and the ease with which they convey that. I don't/can't listen that loud because you can definitely hear these outside and I have elderly neighbors and an HOA. So at the level that I listen and the type of music that I listen to, it's just ideal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Magnepan , magnepan 3.5r , Magnepan Mg 1 7 , Magnepan Mg 3 7 , magnepan mg 3.5r , Magnepan Mini Maggie System , Magnepan Mmg

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page