The Official Magnepan Owners Thread - Page 273 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1581Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #8161 of 8244 Old 05-22-2020, 09:28 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
DonH50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Monument CO
Posts: 12,631
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3446 Post(s)
Liked: 3643
Quote:
Originally Posted by stngray72 View Post
I thought of another tweak i could do...change computer audio enhancements from on to off. I thought id mention that if anyone else uses their computer as the music source. Another one ive done is copy all my music cds in wav. files to get the best sound quality.


(there is a difference from flac to wav)
FLAC and WAV are both lossless so any difference would be elsewhere. MP3's are compressed (lossy) so generally lower quality.
sgibson likes this.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
DonH50 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #8162 of 8244 Old 05-23-2020, 06:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
grigorianvlad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,992
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by stngray72 View Post
I thought of another tweak i could do...change computer audio enhancements from on to off. I thought id mention that if anyone else uses their computer as the music source. Another one ive done is copy all my music cds in wav. files to get the best sound quality.


(there is a difference from flac to wav)
I am also using a PC as a MediaServer with a USB connection. Yes, you should disable all PC enhancements in Audio Devices, mute system sounds and choose the highest sample and bit rate. But sometimes that doesnt matter. My Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ doesnt even show up in the list of audio devices. The OS doesn't even know it exists because it is using an ASIO / Direct Sound which bypasses the OS. The signal doesnt get contaminated by internal interference and noise.
So, make sure you use the correct audio device in your media player. All of that should be covered in your DAC manual.
Usually, Direct Sound / ASIO is the best, then WASAPI, ten bitstreaming (320) and so on.
You can further improve your DAC performance by adding the following hardware:
1) Dedicated USB card with its own power supply
2) USB reclocker/conditioner
3) External power supply for the DAC
The list goes on and on
sgibson and stngray72 like this.

Site. DAC: Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ || Processor: Marantz AV8801 11.2 Ch || Power Amp: Audio Research Reference 75 (75W tube) || Speakers: Focal Electra 1037be || Sub 1: REL 212/SE (1,000W). Sub 2: REL S/3 (400W). Sub 3: Sunfire TS-EQ12 (2,700W). || Cables: Cardas Clear, MIT Matrix & T || Power: PS Audio P5 || Headphones: HifiMan HE560 || Turntable: Pro-Ject RPM5 w SoundSmith Zephyr MKIII || Phono: Gold Note PH-10 + PSU-10 .

Last edited by grigorianvlad; 05-23-2020 at 06:44 AM.
grigorianvlad is offline  
post #8163 of 8244 Old 05-23-2020, 11:06 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
DonH50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Monument CO
Posts: 12,631
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3446 Post(s)
Liked: 3643
Amir at ASR (Audio Science Review, another but more technical audio forum) has reviewed a ton of DACs and can provide insights into what tweaks might and might not help. Reclockers generally will not as virtually all DACs reclock the datastream internally so jitter on the incoming clock does not matter. Good DACs are insensitive to power supply noise as they filter and regulate internally, but there are some (and some are rather expensive) that have poor power/ground isolation. Ground is the same as power; the signal ground should be isolated internally from the power ground, but not all DACs do that, or at least not all do it well. That is also much of the cable differences; some do not adequately shield the signal and power/ground lines (some to the point of violating the USB specs), and again price is not a reliable indication of quality.

Drivers are outside my realm. I too have read ASIO is often best though default drivers generally work (sometimes better). So much going on in a PC, so many ways to go bad, makes my head spin.
grigorianvlad likes this.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
DonH50 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #8164 of 8244 Old 05-23-2020, 11:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
grigorianvlad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,992
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post
Amir at ASR (Audio Science Review, another but more technical audio forum) has reviewed a ton of DACs and can provide insights into what tweaks might and might not help.
I have been there, on that forum. Their trouble is they get a DAC and decide to measure it with everything that is scientific , but almost always is outside of audible and has nothing to do with the reality. They remind me of the six blind men touching an elephant and describing what they they think the animal is (it is a snake, it is a spear, it is a tree, it is a wall, etc.) That is what those crude and irrelevant measurements remind me of.
You are not blind. See the elephant, open your eyes. Likewise, hear the DAC. Hear the upgrades. You dont hear the gear with someone else's ears. Its obscure and irrelevant qualities have no value whatsoever. There is only one thing that matters - it either makes your heart beat faster or it does not. That is it.
Here is a clue what their scientific opinions skewed towards. Most of the gear they "review" they borrow, not own. Very few of them own any of that equipment.

Site. DAC: Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ || Processor: Marantz AV8801 11.2 Ch || Power Amp: Audio Research Reference 75 (75W tube) || Speakers: Focal Electra 1037be || Sub 1: REL 212/SE (1,000W). Sub 2: REL S/3 (400W). Sub 3: Sunfire TS-EQ12 (2,700W). || Cables: Cardas Clear, MIT Matrix & T || Power: PS Audio P5 || Headphones: HifiMan HE560 || Turntable: Pro-Ject RPM5 w SoundSmith Zephyr MKIII || Phono: Gold Note PH-10 + PSU-10 .

Last edited by grigorianvlad; 05-23-2020 at 12:06 PM.
grigorianvlad is offline  
post #8165 of 8244 Old 05-23-2020, 02:04 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
DonH50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Monument CO
Posts: 12,631
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3446 Post(s)
Liked: 3643
Being an engineer myself I would dispute they are "crude and irrelevant". I am a music lover, and musician, as well. However, I have been involved in the audio business several decades, and IMO this debate is never going away. I have been full-on into one side or the other at various times. I see no reason to denigrate others but will point out the relevant part for this discussion is whether or not the DAC is sensitive to the USB cable and/or power supply connected to it. That will tell you how much some tweaks like changing cables or power supplies can change the sound.

As for borrowing, that is how most reviews work. Few reviewers IME own the equipment they review, though some purchase afterwards. For ASR, typically owners send in their equipment for Amir to measure.

Anyway, this is outside Magnepan speakers, and I need to get back to work.

Enjoy the weekend, and my best in memory for all our fallen (playing taps at a ceremony Monday, hardest 24 notes in a trumpeter's repertoire). - Don
sgibson and skypop like this.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
DonH50 is online now  
post #8166 of 8244 Old 05-23-2020, 02:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sgibson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: 3rd Rock from the Sun
Posts: 1,154
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post
Being an engineer myself I would dispute they are "crude and irrelevant". I am a music lover, and musician, as well. However, I have been involved in the audio business several decades, and IMO this debate is never going away. I have been full-on into one side or the other at various times. I see no reason to denigrate others but will point out the relevant part for this discussion is whether or not the DAC is sensitive to the USB cable and/or power supply connected to it. That will tell you how much some tweaks like changing cables or power supplies can change the sound.

As for borrowing, that is how most reviews work. Few reviewers IME own the equipment they review, though some purchase afterwards. For ASR, typically owners send in their equipment for Amir to measure.

Anyway, this is outside Magnepan speakers, and I need to get back to work.

Enjoy the weekend, and my best in memory for all our fallen (playing taps at a ceremony Monday, hardest 24 notes in a trumpeter's repertoire). - Don
Don, as always, thanks for sharing your audio expertise.
I might add a special thanks for your playing taps to honor our fallen heroes.
Never Forget!
grigorianvlad likes this.
sgibson is offline  
post #8167 of 8244 Old 05-23-2020, 02:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
grigorianvlad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,992
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 841
Best $100 I ever spent
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	acoustic_treatment.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	2731528  
sgibson, skypop and torii like this.

Site. DAC: Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ || Processor: Marantz AV8801 11.2 Ch || Power Amp: Audio Research Reference 75 (75W tube) || Speakers: Focal Electra 1037be || Sub 1: REL 212/SE (1,000W). Sub 2: REL S/3 (400W). Sub 3: Sunfire TS-EQ12 (2,700W). || Cables: Cardas Clear, MIT Matrix & T || Power: PS Audio P5 || Headphones: HifiMan HE560 || Turntable: Pro-Ject RPM5 w SoundSmith Zephyr MKIII || Phono: Gold Note PH-10 + PSU-10 .
grigorianvlad is offline  
post #8168 of 8244 Old 05-24-2020, 02:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
laserjock II's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Texas Coast
Posts: 2,698
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1367 Post(s)
Liked: 773
Quote:
Originally Posted by grigorianvlad View Post
Best $100 I ever spent
How many times did I say?
sgibson and grigorianvlad like this.
laserjock II is offline  
post #8169 of 8244 Old 05-24-2020, 08:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
grigorianvlad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,992
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 841
First an hour of Aram Khachaturian , then some grilling. Gonna be a good day. Who does what today?
BTW, an adagio from this ballet was used in Stanley Kubrik's 2001 Odyssey. Who knows in which part of the movie? It is there for a long time in the movie, the adagio, almost the whole thing.

Site. DAC: Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ || Processor: Marantz AV8801 11.2 Ch || Power Amp: Audio Research Reference 75 (75W tube) || Speakers: Focal Electra 1037be || Sub 1: REL 212/SE (1,000W). Sub 2: REL S/3 (400W). Sub 3: Sunfire TS-EQ12 (2,700W). || Cables: Cardas Clear, MIT Matrix & T || Power: PS Audio P5 || Headphones: HifiMan HE560 || Turntable: Pro-Ject RPM5 w SoundSmith Zephyr MKIII || Phono: Gold Note PH-10 + PSU-10 .

Last edited by grigorianvlad; 05-24-2020 at 08:25 AM.
grigorianvlad is offline  
post #8170 of 8244 Old 05-24-2020, 08:43 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 478
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 198
I went ahead and ordered the
Russound ADP-1.2 Speaker to Line-Level Adapter

for my upcoming subwoofer
drh3b likes this.
stngray72 is online now  
post #8171 of 8244 Old 05-25-2020, 11:48 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Michigan
Posts: 459
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by grigorianvlad View Post
I am also using a PC as a MediaServer with a USB connection. Yes, you should disable all PC enhancements in Audio Devices, mute system sounds and choose the highest sample and bit rate. But sometimes that doesnt matter. My Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ doesnt even show up in the list of audio devices. The OS doesn't even know it exists because it is using an ASIO / Direct Sound which bypasses the OS. The signal doesnt get contaminated by internal interference and noise.
So, make sure you use the correct audio device in your media player. All of that should be covered in your DAC manual.
Usually, Direct Sound / ASIO is the best, then WASAPI, ten bitstreaming (320) and so on.
You can further improve your DAC performance by adding the following hardware:
1) Dedicated USB card with its own power supply
2) USB reclocker/conditioner
3) External power supply for the DAC
The list goes on and on

How do you like the mytek with Maggie’s? What’s the rest of your setup?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
grigorianvlad likes this.
Raiders4life12 is offline  
post #8172 of 8244 Old 05-25-2020, 11:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
grigorianvlad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,992
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders4life12 View Post
How do you like the mytek with Maggie’s? What’s the rest of your setup?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ is a great DAC, with any speakers. I dont have Maggies anymore and people in this forum let me hang around here out of kindness of their hearts and only because I have nowhere else to go.
The lest of the setup in my signature directly below.

Site. DAC: Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ || Processor: Marantz AV8801 11.2 Ch || Power Amp: Audio Research Reference 75 (75W tube) || Speakers: Focal Electra 1037be || Sub 1: REL 212/SE (1,000W). Sub 2: REL S/3 (400W). Sub 3: Sunfire TS-EQ12 (2,700W). || Cables: Cardas Clear, MIT Matrix & T || Power: PS Audio P5 || Headphones: HifiMan HE560 || Turntable: Pro-Ject RPM5 w SoundSmith Zephyr MKIII || Phono: Gold Note PH-10 + PSU-10 .
grigorianvlad is offline  
post #8173 of 8244 Old 05-25-2020, 03:00 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 478
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Im going to make a set of these speaker wires for the heck of it (9 ga each side haha)


grigorianvlad likes this.
stngray72 is online now  
post #8174 of 8244 Old 05-25-2020, 03:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
grigorianvlad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,992
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by stngray72 View Post
Im going to make a set of these speaker wires for the heck of it (9 ga each side haha)


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uqx6VhWq9E8&t=157s
I saw that video a couple of months back. Had the same thought. Then I calculated the parts cost and it came out more expensive than similar or better cables sold on ebay, even with shipping. But if this is just a DIY exercise, then more power to you. Otherwise, you can buy a better pair for less. You see, those guys buy the parts in bulk. A spool of 100M of Canare wire costing $200, but can create 50 pairs of cables each costing $50 , and so on. So it is financially makes sense to them to sell 4-8 times cheaper than for you to buy all the parts (the cables, the pants, the banana plugs, etc.)

Site. DAC: Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ || Processor: Marantz AV8801 11.2 Ch || Power Amp: Audio Research Reference 75 (75W tube) || Speakers: Focal Electra 1037be || Sub 1: REL 212/SE (1,000W). Sub 2: REL S/3 (400W). Sub 3: Sunfire TS-EQ12 (2,700W). || Cables: Cardas Clear, MIT Matrix & T || Power: PS Audio P5 || Headphones: HifiMan HE560 || Turntable: Pro-Ject RPM5 w SoundSmith Zephyr MKIII || Phono: Gold Note PH-10 + PSU-10 .

Last edited by grigorianvlad; 05-25-2020 at 03:21 PM.
grigorianvlad is offline  
post #8175 of 8244 Old 05-25-2020, 03:20 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 478
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by grigorianvlad View Post
I saw that video a couple of months back. Had the same thought. Then I calculated the parts cost and it came out more expensive than similar or better cables sold on ebay, even with shipping. But if this is just a DIY exercise, then more power to you. Otherwise, you can buy a better pair for less.

Can you show me the better pair for less?
grigorianvlad likes this.
stngray72 is online now  
post #8176 of 8244 Old 05-25-2020, 03:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
grigorianvlad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,992
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by stngray72 View Post
Can you show me the better pair for less?


You can start with the Ebay seller named Cablebuyer. I bought his cables back in 2014, I can vouch for his quality.
Here is one of his listings (just click on the link "More from this seller" or "Visit sellers store", he has hundreds of cables:
Here is his listing.

Site. DAC: Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ || Processor: Marantz AV8801 11.2 Ch || Power Amp: Audio Research Reference 75 (75W tube) || Speakers: Focal Electra 1037be || Sub 1: REL 212/SE (1,000W). Sub 2: REL S/3 (400W). Sub 3: Sunfire TS-EQ12 (2,700W). || Cables: Cardas Clear, MIT Matrix & T || Power: PS Audio P5 || Headphones: HifiMan HE560 || Turntable: Pro-Ject RPM5 w SoundSmith Zephyr MKIII || Phono: Gold Note PH-10 + PSU-10 .
grigorianvlad is offline  
post #8177 of 8244 Old 05-25-2020, 03:47 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 478
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by grigorianvlad View Post
You can start with the Ebay seller named Cablebuyer. I bought his cables back in 2014, I can vouch for his quality.
Here is one of his listings (just click on the link "More from this seller" or "Visit sellers store", he has hundreds of cables:
Here is his listing.

Highest end stuff he has now are the canare 4s11 or dc pro are those good brands and if so which is better? Is there a better pair to be had because i was going to spend $ 130 total to make those in the video.

Last edited by stngray72; 05-25-2020 at 03:56 PM.
stngray72 is online now  
post #8178 of 8244 Old 05-25-2020, 04:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
grigorianvlad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,992
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by stngray72 View Post
Highest end stuff he has now are the canare 4s11 or dc power or dc pro are those good brands and if so which is better? Is there a better pair to be had because i was going to spend $ 130 total to make those in the video.
No, the highest end he has are the silver plated speaker cables for $300 or so. A similar quality pair from WireWorld will run you $5,000!
But that doesnt matter. I would prefer his cables to the ones in the video. The brands he sells - Canare, Belden, etc. - are professional grade cables. Most of recording studios use those, which should be good enough. I remember when I got mine how incredibly heavy it was, which speaks for its quality.
But once again, if you want to make your own cable just for the pleasure of making it you can afford paying for shipment of a coupe of parts (not all will be free, but most) and some equipment you will only need once (such as heat gun, etc.) and some excess braiding, cable, pants, connectors, etc because you will be buying more than you actually need.
I paid around $40 for gear I dont need anymore only to fix a couple of MIT speaker cables I sold to TMR. All that gear is just gathering dust and I shouldnt have bothered fixing them, but it sure was a lot of fun!

Site. DAC: Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ || Processor: Marantz AV8801 11.2 Ch || Power Amp: Audio Research Reference 75 (75W tube) || Speakers: Focal Electra 1037be || Sub 1: REL 212/SE (1,000W). Sub 2: REL S/3 (400W). Sub 3: Sunfire TS-EQ12 (2,700W). || Cables: Cardas Clear, MIT Matrix & T || Power: PS Audio P5 || Headphones: HifiMan HE560 || Turntable: Pro-Ject RPM5 w SoundSmith Zephyr MKIII || Phono: Gold Note PH-10 + PSU-10 .
grigorianvlad is offline  
post #8179 of 8244 Old 05-26-2020, 01:41 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 478
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by grigorianvlad View Post
No, the highest end he has are the silver plated speaker cables for $300 or so. A similar quality pair from WireWorld will run you $5,000!
But that doesnt matter. I would prefer his cables to the ones in the video. The brands he sells - Canare, Belden, etc. - are professional grade cables. Most of recording studios use those, which should be good enough. I remember when I got mine how incredibly heavy it was, which speaks for its quality.
But once again, if you want to make your own cable just for the pleasure of making it you can afford paying for shipment of a coupe of parts (not all will be free, but most) and some equipment you will only need once (such as heat gun, etc.) and some excess braiding, cable, pants, connectors, etc because you will be buying more than you actually need.
I paid around $40 for gear I dont need anymore only to fix a couple of MIT speaker cables I sold to TMR. All that gear is just gathering dust and I shouldnt have bothered fixing them, but it sure was a lot of fun!



What do you think about 12 ga Cullen Copper Speaker Cables 120.00 for 6 feet a pair compared to other wires?
stngray72 is online now  
post #8180 of 8244 Old 05-26-2020, 05:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
grigorianvlad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,992
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by stngray72 View Post
What do you think about 12 ga Cullen Copper Speaker Cables 120.00 for 6 feet a pair compared to other wires?
Never heard of Cullen. His site looks like fine, but the cables look like something a layman would make. Buying parts in bulk and using the savings to make money. In other words exact same money you would spend on a DIY speaker cables pair, only he spent a $50, but you paid $120. Nothing wrong with that.
Some people dont have the time or the desire.
Ask him for the specs of the cable and compare to the cheapest Canare of the Cablebuyer:

Code:
Copper purity
Method of termination
Conductor: 11 AWG (combined 4 conductor Quad), Stranded annealed Copper conductors for flexibility and long life durability.
Super flexible even in sub-zero temperatures
Special PE dielectric for great frequency response over long distance cable runs
Special Polyethylene Dielectric for low capacitance and low series resistance for improved frequency response over long distance cable runs.
Conductor DC Resistance: <:::2.6 ohms/1000 ft.
Nominal Capacitance: 45.0 pF/ft
Nominal Outside Diameter (O.D.): .421 in. (10.7mm)

Site. DAC: Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ || Processor: Marantz AV8801 11.2 Ch || Power Amp: Audio Research Reference 75 (75W tube) || Speakers: Focal Electra 1037be || Sub 1: REL 212/SE (1,000W). Sub 2: REL S/3 (400W). Sub 3: Sunfire TS-EQ12 (2,700W). || Cables: Cardas Clear, MIT Matrix & T || Power: PS Audio P5 || Headphones: HifiMan HE560 || Turntable: Pro-Ject RPM5 w SoundSmith Zephyr MKIII || Phono: Gold Note PH-10 + PSU-10 .
grigorianvlad is offline  
post #8181 of 8244 Old 05-26-2020, 06:17 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 478
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 198
I went with the cable guys
Canare 4S11 Star Quad 11 AWG 6 feet


thanks for your help.
grigorianvlad likes this.
stngray72 is online now  
post #8182 of 8244 Old 05-26-2020, 06:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
grigorianvlad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,992
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by stngray72 View Post
I went with the cable guys
Canare 4S11 Star Quad 11 AWG 6 feet


thanks for your help.
You are welcome. You can rest assured :
1) You paid the lowest possible price (his cut is much lower than with the other sellers)
2) His reputation is impeccable, with tens of thousands positive reviews and hundreds of thousands of cables sold over a decade.
3) The quality of the cable is very good. You know you are paying for quality work and parts, not some bling that looks pretty, but in fact is below the Monoprice line.
Give them a few days to break in.

Site. DAC: Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ || Processor: Marantz AV8801 11.2 Ch || Power Amp: Audio Research Reference 75 (75W tube) || Speakers: Focal Electra 1037be || Sub 1: REL 212/SE (1,000W). Sub 2: REL S/3 (400W). Sub 3: Sunfire TS-EQ12 (2,700W). || Cables: Cardas Clear, MIT Matrix & T || Power: PS Audio P5 || Headphones: HifiMan HE560 || Turntable: Pro-Ject RPM5 w SoundSmith Zephyr MKIII || Phono: Gold Note PH-10 + PSU-10 .
grigorianvlad is offline  
post #8183 of 8244 Old 05-26-2020, 06:28 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 478
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 198
yes they were substantially cheaper than amazon was for the same cable.
stngray72 is online now  
post #8184 of 8244 Old 05-26-2020, 03:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sgibson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: 3rd Rock from the Sun
Posts: 1,154
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by stngray72 View Post
I went ahead and ordered the
Russound ADP-1.2 Speaker to Line-Level Adapter

for my upcoming subwoofer
Thought I'd share the difference A subwoofer makes with the Magnepan LRSs:

Magnepan LRSs, +-3dB 50Hz rolloff.
Where's the Bass? Or, reasons to add a Subwoofer.

Mag LRS + SB-3000 Sub Mag LRS Only
(Active 60Hz 12dB High-Pass) Bass rolloff 50Hz-20Hz)
Frequency

With Sub LRS Only
50Hz -2.0 -4.0dB
40Hz +1.0 -9.0dB
31.5Hz.+2.0 -9.5dB
25Hz +4.0 -10.0dB
20Hz +5.0 -11.0dB

Readings with RadioShack Analog SLM @ 70dB
MLP is 84" from Mags, 130" from Left Front Corner Sub.
Stereo source-Stereophile Test CD STPH 002-2 (1990)

Following this setup using the active 60Hz 12dB High-Pass filter and matching the SVS SB-3000
Subwoofer via the SVS App, I played the CD version of Bela Fleck's Flight of the Cosmic Hippo.
I heard the Bass on Track 4 before, but now it was deeper, cleaner and not "boomy".
Well worth the addtion of a Sub to really make the Magnepan LRSs sing out loud!

BTW, any updates on your LRS's arrival?

Last edited by sgibson; 05-26-2020 at 03:17 PM.
sgibson is offline  
post #8185 of 8244 Old 05-26-2020, 03:44 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 478
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgibson View Post
Thought I'd share the difference A subwoofer makes with the Magnepan LRSs:

Magnepan LRSs, +-3dB 50Hz rolloff.
Where's the Bass? Or, reasons to add a Subwoofer.

Mag LRS + SB-3000 Sub Mag LRS Only
(Active 60Hz 12dB High-Pass) Bass rolloff 50Hz-20Hz)
Frequency

With Sub LRS Only
50Hz -2.0 -4.0dB
40Hz +1.0 -9.0dB
31.5Hz.+2.0 -9.5dB
25Hz +4.0 -10.0dB
20Hz +5.0 -11.0dB

Readings with RadioShack Analog SLM @ 70dB
MLP is 84" from Mags, 130" from Left Front Corner Sub.
Stereo source-Stereophile Test CD STPH 002-2 (1990)

Following this setup using the active 60Hz 12dB High-Pass filter and matching the SVS SB-3000
Subwoofer via the SVS App, I played the CD version of Bela Fleck's Flight of the Cosmic Hippo.
I heard the Bass on Track 4 before, but now it was deeper, cleaner and not "boomy".
Well worth the addtion of a Sub to really make the Magnepan LRSs sing out loud!

BTW, any updates on your LRS's arrival?
All in progress check in soon (lrs panels) Wow the maggies do need a sub. Thanks for taking the time to do that. How loud do they play without beating on them?
sgibson likes this.
stngray72 is online now  
post #8186 of 8244 Old 05-26-2020, 04:13 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 478
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgibson View Post
Thought I'd share the difference A subwoofer makes with the Magnepan LRSs:

Magnepan LRSs, +-3dB 50Hz rolloff.
Where's the Bass? Or, reasons to add a Subwoofer.

Mag LRS + SB-3000 Sub Mag LRS Only
(Active 60Hz 12dB High-Pass) Bass rolloff 50Hz-20Hz)
Frequency

With Sub LRS Only
50Hz -2.0 -4.0dB
40Hz +1.0 -9.0dB
31.5Hz.+2.0 -9.5dB
25Hz +4.0 -10.0dB
20Hz +5.0 -11.0dB

Readings with RadioShack Analog SLM @ 70dB
MLP is 84" from Mags, 130" from Left Front Corner Sub.
Stereo source-Stereophile Test CD STPH 002-2 (1990)

Following this setup using the active 60Hz 12dB High-Pass filter and matching the SVS SB-3000
Subwoofer via the SVS App, I played the CD version of Bela Fleck's Flight of the Cosmic Hippo.
I heard the Bass on Track 4 before, but now it was deeper, cleaner and not "boomy".
Well worth the addtion of a Sub to really make the Magnepan LRSs sing out loud!

BTW, any updates on your LRS's arrival?

I just saw you said 70 db is how loud they were playing.
stngray72 is online now  
post #8187 of 8244 Old 05-26-2020, 04:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sgibson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: 3rd Rock from the Sun
Posts: 1,154
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by stngray72 View Post
I just saw you said 70 db is how loud they were playing.
Sorry, I wasn't clearer. Some time ago I blew a speaker with a setting of 80dB measured on SoundLevelMeter. (Didn't realize the amp volume was too high) So...now I'm extra cautious and set SLM measurements at Reference 70dB =0 reading @ 1kHz.
For nearfield listening, I generally set stereo music playback loudness to 85dB tops for my ears.

Last edited by sgibson; 05-26-2020 at 04:47 PM.
sgibson is offline  
post #8188 of 8244 Old 05-26-2020, 05:34 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 478
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgibson View Post
Sorry, I wasn't clearer. Some time ago I blew a speaker with a setting of 80dB measured on SoundLevelMeter. (Didn't realize the amp volume was too high) So...now I'm extra cautious and set SLM measurements at Reference 70dB =0 reading @ 1kHz.
For nearfield listening, I generally set stereo music playback loudness to 85dB tops for my ears.

Wow I didnt know they were that quiet but i guess ill get adjusted to them. Im debating here on getting the sealed version of the svs 1000 do you think that would be a good choice for 100% music? It already has the high level inputs too so i wouldnt need that russound piece i bought.

Last edited by stngray72; 05-26-2020 at 05:38 PM.
stngray72 is online now  
post #8189 of 8244 Old 05-26-2020, 05:41 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
DonH50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Monument CO
Posts: 12,631
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3446 Post(s)
Liked: 3643
For a little more I'd look at the Rythmik L12. Disclaimer: I am a Rythmik owner, and Brian (Ding, Rythmik) and I share similar days jobs and philosophies on SerDes and subs, so I am biased.

A sub and crossover will allow you to play the little Maggies (or big Maggies, or anything else) louder and cleaner.

Edit: Non-Maggie content, but yesterday's ceremony went well despite social distancing and all that jazz.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200525_Don_Ross_taps_Memorial_Day.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	211.0 KB
ID:	2732904  
sgibson, skypop and drh3b like this.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley

Last edited by DonH50; 05-26-2020 at 05:46 PM.
DonH50 is online now  
post #8190 of 8244 Old 05-26-2020, 05:48 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 478
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post
For a little more I'd look at the Rythmik L12. Disclaimer: I am a Rythmik owner, and Brian (Ding, Rythmik) and I share similar days jobs and philosophies on SerDes and subs, so I am biased.

A sub and crossover will allow you to play the little Maggies (or big Maggies, or anything else) louder and cleaner.

Edit: Non-Maggie content, but yesterday's ceremony went well despite social distancing and all that jazz.

I can get the svs for much cheaper I just have to choose between the pb or the sb 1000 their both about the same price. Did you mean i can get a crossover for the maggies?


I found a deal on a rel t9i...hmm

Last edited by stngray72; 05-26-2020 at 06:17 PM.
stngray72 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Tags
Magnepan , magnepan .7 , magnepan 3.5r , magnepan lrs , Magnepan Mg 1 7 , Magnepan Mg 3 7 , magnepan mg 3.5r , Magnepan Mini Maggie System , Magnepan Mmg

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off