Sonus Faber Owners Thread - Page 12 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 141Likes

post #331 of 1085 Old 02-04-2015, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Hello everyone! I auditioned a bunch of speakers yesterday at my semi-local shop in Buffalo NY. I ended up swiping my card to confirm my ownership of a pair of gloss black venere 3.0s and center channel. They didn't have them in Stock however so I'll have to wait. But OMG I heard the largest Olympica floorstander and was blown away. Easily the best speaker I'd ever heard. It was actually gut wrenching as they seemingly made my new veneres irrelevant lol. Maybe someday. They where pair with some crazy audio research gear and a monstrous tube amp. It was the size of small stove.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 1085 Old 02-04-2015, 08:10 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post
Someone from Sumiko to come to your home whoa taht is very impressive!

I bought a pair of Sonus Faber Elipsa SE Red and no one came
Didn't someone from the store you bought them from come to help set them up? If bought local and new, I believe Sonus Faber expects the dealer to do so, at least for their more expensive models.
post #333 of 1085 Old 02-04-2015, 09:30 PM
wse
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2207 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod#S View Post
I don't see how, they are wall and/or stand mounts aren't they?
Yes they can be wall mounted!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #334 of 1085 Old 02-04-2015, 09:31 PM
wse
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2207 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post
Didn't someone from the store you bought them from come to help set them up? If bought local and new, I believe Sonus Faber expects the dealer to do so, at least for their more expensive models.
Yes some one from the store came but its not the same than having the pros from Sonus Faber
post #335 of 1085 Old 02-04-2015, 11:20 PM
Advanced Member

I was told their method of placement and while I'm sure someone who has done it a bunch might be able to accomplish finish placement quicker but anyone can do it very easily.
post #336 of 1085 Old 02-05-2015, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Yes some one from the store came but its not the same than having the pros from Sonus Faber
The dealer would have been trained by Sonus Faber, so he should have been able to do the same thing. Did he move the speaker backward and/or forward, a little at a time, while you (or he) listened carefully to the bass on a CD? In my case, I think the Sonus Faber guy was doing a personal favor to the dealer, helping him (and me) out (I got a good deal, but I spent a fortune with the dealer, between the speakers, Halo amp/preamp, and a Bryston BIT power conditioner).

Last edited by BillP; 02-05-2015 at 05:48 AM.
post #337 of 1085 Old 02-05-2015, 06:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Yes they can be wall mounted!
Doesn't Atmos require a ceiling or "Atmos" top firing driver? That's my understanding anyways for proper setup. I don't see how even a wall mounted speaker could to the job correctly unless I guess it is really high up and could be angled down at the listening position.

post #338 of 1085 Old 02-05-2015, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member

If you can wall mount a speaker then you can ceiling mount it. The speaker doesn'thave to hbe embedded to work but it won't be the prettiest thing and I'm guessing there would be wires exposed. The atmos top speakers don'tneed to be angled just facing down.
post #339 of 1085 Old 02-05-2015, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

I guess shipping on my speakers is held up due to weather and they probably won't be here till the end of the month
post #340 of 1085 Old 02-05-2015, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthrb4u View Post
Hello everyone! I auditioned a bunch of speakers yesterday at my semi-local shop in Buffalo NY. I ended up swiping my card to confirm my ownership of a pair of gloss black venere 3.0s and center channel. They didn't have them in Stock however so I'll have to wait. But OMG I heard the largest Olympica floorstander and was blown away. Easily the best speaker I'd ever heard. It was actually gut wrenching as they seemingly made my new veneres irrelevant lol. Maybe someday. They where pair with some crazy audio research gear and a monstrous tube amp. It was the size of small stove.
Congratulations! You'll love the Venere 3.0's. I bought the Sonus Faber Grand Piano Homes 12 years ago (the predecessor of the Venere's) and loved them - until I just upgraded to the Olympica III's (I agree with your assessment - IMO, the best speakers I have ever heard).
post #341 of 1085 Old 02-05-2015, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks a bunch bill. The Olympicas paint a solid picture like no other while having musicality to them. One speaker that did come close to performance however lacked pure musicality but obliterated everything in home theater was the Triton 1. More dynamic and the height and scale of the vocals was convincing me that I'd shrunk in size.
I'm hoping the venere 3.0 will sound better than the 2.5 I heard. It's not that they where bad but they seemed to be lacking a hair in overall resolution. The salesman guaranteed the jump up would be what I was looking for. For an extra grand I was sure hoping so. When I'd heard them they where backed into a corner and where being driven by an anthem receiver and old marantz Cd player. Im hoping I can add some solidity and overall resolution next year when I upgrade to parasound p5 /a23 or 21 combo.
Either way, the veneres where a life saver. I'd heard many aluminum dome tweeters that day and my ears were ringing after a bit. The organic and smooth nature of the veneres immediately grabbed my attention. With most of the other speakers I'd heard that day the clicking to the next track might have changed the song however there was always a trace of something (usually a texture ) that reminded me that I was listening that speaker no matter how well they disappeared in the room. The veneres weren't perfect in this aspect with their dome tweeters not able to reach the ridiculously high pitch of some violins ALMOST to the point of being veiled. However they were pretty much right there and a quick glance back to the speakers that did do this right reminded me that pretty much it was one or the other. Have the ability to extend and peak out and more than likely get fatiguing (especially giving the lack of acoustic treatment in most rooms) or sacrifice the most minute amount of high frequency extension. I chose the former easily. However the Olympica series and golden ears high velocity folded motion tweeter had the best of both worlds. Recreate the high frequencies perfectly without ever getting fatiguing or too bright.
The presentation of vocals on the venere had its own venue back a hair which you would think could be bothersome to a handful of people but they had a large enough venue and control to breath the dynamics enough to convince you the musician is singing to you. Of course this is part of imaging andof course what kind of an impression would it be if I left out that aspect. Here's the thing. I very much hate more than anything listening in near field environments but unfortunately that's alI had available to me for the most part with the exception of the Olympicas and Triton 1s. With that being said, even with the 2.5 in a corner and me kneeling a mere four feet away I could that these bad boys disperse both horizontally and my favorite, vertically like nothing else in its price range aside from probably the other lower end golden ear speakers.
Because of this I believe it's going to make a very transformative set up going from from stereo to home theater and do so with out making you feel itd lacking in any departmen.
So aside from my mind going stir crazy trying to not only discern the differences between each speaker and also intuitively aquire a grasp on each speakers role and who they would appeal to but now I have to wait to the end of the month to get these. What I'm really hoping for is that the 3.0s are remnant of the Olympicaseenough I can just fall back on memory enough to merge the music and memory to make me believeiI own a pair of Olympicas lol.
post #342 of 1085 Old 02-05-2015, 02:34 PM
Advanced Member

I had to post this so I could go back and edit it as my tablet is absolutely horrible for writing on. HHere's hoping there's not too much gibberish before I get on my laptop and fix it.
post #343 of 1085 Old 02-16-2015, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi Folks,

Could use some suggestions on a new A/V receiver I need to purchase for my Sonus Faber Venere 2.0 speakers. My old Pioneer Elite is a malfunctioning (one channel keeps cutting out) and I'm not sure I want to get it fixed - is it even worth trying to fix old receivers?

Anyway, I think I'm due for an upgrade anyway, and I think I've narrowed it down to two A/V receivers: Marantz SR6008/6009 or Onkyo TX-NR838. Do any Venere owners have experience with these particular receivers? Or do you know if one model and brand is better than the other? The specs and features are similar, as is the price (close enough), but just hoping to get some insight from some of you. I've always wanted a Marantz, but I'm buying a smaller entry level Onkyo for another room in the house, so I'm not sure if I should buy the same brand.

Or...
Are there any other brands/models you would recommend for these speakers?

Here are a few things that are I absolutely need in the receiver:
  • Price range $500-$1200
  • Phono input capable (assuming most a/v receivers already have the other basics like Blu Ray, DVD, CD, Aux)
  • Minimum 1 optical input (2 preferred)
  • Option to bi-amp speakers
  • 5.1 Channels minimum
  • WiFi, Network, Bluetooth and/or AirPlay capable (Airplay not so necessary, since I'm on Android, but I'm sure the wifey wouldn't mind).

I think those are some of the main necessities.

Oh also, one more question. I have yet to buy a center channel - I know, what decade do I live in, right? Should I stick with the Sonus Faber Venere line, or should I look to another brand?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!
post #344 of 1085 Old 02-17-2015, 07:43 PM
Advanced Member

Any marantz you can afford from accessories4less that has audyssey xt32 or even xt would be your best best. Then it's up to you to nitpick what you want to pay more for. Good luck!
post #345 of 1085 Old 02-17-2015, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Any marantz you can afford from accessories4less that has audyssey xt32 or even xt would be your best best. Then it's up to you to nitpick what you want to pay more for. Good luck!
That website did pop up on my search. Are they any good? Reliable? Personal experience?
post #346 of 1085 Old 02-17-2015, 08:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiiR View Post
Hi Folks,

Could use some suggestions on a new A/V receiver I need to purchase for my Sonus Faber Venere 2.0 speakers. My old Pioneer Elite is a malfunctioning (one channel keeps cutting out) and I'm not sure I want to get it fixed - is it even worth trying to fix old receivers?

Anyway, I think I'm due for an upgrade anyway, and I think I've narrowed it down to two A/V receivers: Marantz SR6008/6009 or Onkyo TX-NR838. Do any Venere owners have experience with these particular receivers? Or do you know if one model and brand is better than the other? The specs and features are similar, as is the price (close enough), but just hoping to get some insight from some of you. I've always wanted a Marantz, but I'm buying a smaller entry level Onkyo for another room in the house, so I'm not sure if I should buy the same brand.

Or...
Are there any other brands/models you would recommend for these speakers?

Here are a few things that are I absolutely need in the receiver:
  • Price range $500-$1200
  • Phono input capable (assuming most a/v receivers already have the other basics like Blu Ray, DVD, CD, Aux)
  • Minimum 1 optical input (2 preferred)
  • Option to bi-amp speakers
  • 5.1 Channels minimum
  • WiFi, Network, Bluetooth and/or AirPlay capable (Airplay not so necessary, since I'm on Android, but I'm sure the wifey wouldn't mind).

I think those are some of the main necessities.

Oh also, one more question. I have yet to buy a center channel - I know, what decade do I live in, right? Should I stick with the Sonus Faber Venere line, or should I look to another brand?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

I am running the Marantz SR7008 through my Venere 2.5s right now and I am very happy with it...not sure of the feature to feature comparison between the 6009 and 7008., but I am told that it is worth the extra $$ to spring for the Audyssey MultEQ XT32 if you can. I have it in the 7008...might be in the 6009 now...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #347 of 1085 Old 02-17-2015, 09:43 PM
Advanced Member

Yes it's a great website. The sr5006 I bought from there 3 years ago is running great to this date and so is the denon I bought my buddy 2 years ago. The receivers are usually factory refurbished with warranty and they are an authorized marantz/denon resaler
post #348 of 1085 Old 02-17-2015, 09:53 PM
Advanced Member

I would love to chime in on how the venere center sounds but I've been waiting weeks to get mine. I can definitely quote just about every avs member here though and tell you it's very important to timbre match fronts and center. I'm very glad the venere center doesn't cost an arm and a leg.lets hope it sounds good
post #349 of 1085 Old 02-18-2015, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgterm View Post
I am running the Marantz SR7008 through my Venere 2.5s right now and I am very happy with it...not sure of the feature to feature comparison between the 6009 and 7008., but I am told that it is worth the extra $$ to spring for the Audyssey MultEQ XT32 if you can. I have it in the 7008...might be in the 6009 now...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I think the 6009 does have it. Not sure if it's the XT32, but they do have the Audyssey MultEQ XT. Someone also mentioned that I should consider an NAD a/v receiver - only hesitation is that it has no phono input, nor any wireless capabilities on the affordable models. Thanks for the insight though. Marantz is still in the running. I think Onkyo is out...

Quote:
I would love to chime in on how the venere center sounds but I've been waiting weeks to get mine. I can definitely quote just about every avs member here though and tell you it's very important to timbre match fronts and center. I'm very glad the venere center doesn't cost an arm and a leg.lets hope it sounds good
Thanks for that bit of info. I think I will end up getting the matched Venere center. Not that I want to get a set of Monoprice speakers for the surrounds or anything, but do those matter a lot? Thinking of repurposing an old set of B&W Solid monitors. What are you using for your surrounds?
post #350 of 1085 Old 02-18-2015, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member

There'sa lot going on when a movie uses surround sound to its fullest but generally not a lot of voices being thrown around the mix. So I've had my doubts before but there is more to it. I don't have matching surrounds or center. In fact my center now is an old cerwin Vega that is distorted and reminds me of the old movie theater dialect.I hardly ever get voices coming from my towers if ever during movies so I've never found my center to be of any issue although I would like a larger scale presentation. My surrounds are energy micro rc's and every time I hear them I'm amazed at their sound quality. My mains and my surrounds are similar enough being that they're very neutral speakers and I have no gripe about them sounding off from one another. However, I could see how different sounding speakers could be a problem. I'll be using my kef xq30 towers as surrounds once my 3.0s get here and I know that my XQ's have sharper transient response and are more pitch perfect. Because of this I do have a feeling that my system will sound off and I'll beuupgrading to the venere wall speakers next year...... As long as the 3.0s still impress me. I rreally didn't get to evaluate the veneres fully I just got super excited when I heard their smoothness and warmth. Once home if my beloved violin/cellos music and the beautiful North Jones don't sing to me and give me goosebumps I'll be selling them and without any hesitation will go buy kef r700s. I know they're a special speaker but any speaker remnant of my XQ's had me worriedd even though they too are amazing. Just a little bright and with my room they're piercing.
Now as far as music goes, I generally listen to stereo mode with audyssey engaged and dynamic eq off. Sometimes. However if I'm in the mood for electronic i will throw it on dDolby music mode and in the settings change the center to the largest width with implements my towers fully and cancels out the center.
post #351 of 1085 Old 02-18-2015, 09:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiiR View Post
Thinking of repurposing an old set of B&W Solid monitors. What are you using for your surrounds?
I could see b&w speakers being close enough to the veneres sound - the metal dome tweeter. It wouldn't hurt to give it a try.
post #352 of 1085 Old 02-18-2015, 01:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked: 276
If you primarily listen in 2 channel,I wouldn't even worry about it. Even if you use the energy surrounds for 5.1 music,it won't be far enough off to worry about it. Keep what you have. B&W sound nothing like Sonus Faber. If you really want to get surrounds that would sound similar,your best bet is Aperion. They have soft dome tweeters also and would sound very close.
post #353 of 1085 Old 02-20-2015, 04:30 PM
Advanced Member

Dear sumiko, please ship my speakers already! Can't believe I ever considered getting tekton speakers knowing how long their wait time was. There's no way I could deal with it!
post #354 of 1085 Old 02-20-2015, 07:17 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
I'm in Buffalo and was in the same shop last week buying a Marantz CD6005. I had chance to listen to the system with the Olympica speakers and AR gear, absolutely amazing, best I have ever experienced!
post #355 of 1085 Old 02-20-2015, 07:28 PM
Advanced Member

I know! They're so good. My friends were in a hurry to leave and I'd just heard my dream speaker and had to leave. They had to drag me out by the hand like a kid leaving chuck e cheeses.
post #356 of 1085 Old 02-20-2015, 07:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

So you must have ordered the speakers and they are being shipped to the dealer,then to you? What color did you get,Gloss Black,White or Wood?
post #357 of 1085 Old 02-20-2015, 07:48 PM
Advanced Member

Gloss black. I might cancel the order though. I just saw my second dream speaker on sale somewhere and even though it would be a semi dick move, until now I wouldn't have been able to afford it. They sell the speaker I want but there's no way they would match the price. I'll have to go another year or two without a center however unless I sell the speakers I have now
post #358 of 1085 Old 02-20-2015, 08:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

What kind of speakers are they? Did the dealer give you a time table on delivery when you ordered them? A dick move is ordering about 7 pair of speakers and sending them all back,like I did..LOL I was dead set on the Venere 2.5,but I thought they were kind of cheap feeling. Didn't like how flimsy the grill was. I'd get them in white myself. I'd love to hear what they sound like in my house. But I doubt they would sound as good as my Martin Logan EM ESL's. A bigger sweet spot I'm sure tho,but I'm not really worried about it,being I'm usually the only one listening to them. I didn't really care for the top of the venere's either,reminded me of the alien head in the Alien movies. I think I might have warmed up to them tho..
post #359 of 1085 Old 02-20-2015, 08:13 PM
Advanced Member

No complaints from me about the veneres looks other than the cheap plasticy honey comb grill thing. And the ones I'm considering are kef r900s. I can get them in white, shipped and tax free for 4k right now. I'm sure that even if I did call and cancel they would tell me they already shipped and I can'tor iI'd have to pay a restocking fee or something stupid and probably wouldn't even call to see if they really did get shipped.
post #360 of 1085 Old 02-20-2015, 08:18 PM
Advanced Member

That's not me talking down on them rather talking down on sales ethic in general. My shop in Buffalo is pretty good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page