Definitive Technology Mythos Series Thread - Page 198 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 20Likes

post #5911 of 5958 Old 08-14-2017, 09:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddmaster View Post
The Center is and has been an issue for many of us. Most people just turn up the Center volume. I ended up using 2 Centers (one on top of the other).
Do you think going from my Mythos Seven center channel to the Mythos Ten center channel would be an improvement? Would it still be matched to my Mythos Five L and R?

L&R: Mythos Five
C: Mythos Seven (wall mounted)
Sur L&R: Mythos Gem
Sure Back L&R: UIW63/A in ceiling
Sub: SVS PB-1000
Receiver: Denon X4000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5912 of 5958 Old 08-14-2017, 11:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlanderbz View Post
Do you think going from my Mythos Seven center channel to the Mythos Ten center channel would be an improvement? Would it still be matched to my Mythos Five L and R?

L&R: Mythos Five
C: Mythos Seven (wall mounted)
Sur L&R: Mythos Gem
Sure Back L&R: UIW63/A in ceiling
Sub: SVS PB-1000
Receiver: Denon X4000
The Ten with sound better and keep up with the Mythos Five's and yes it will match with them. In comparison the Seven sounds pretty close to the Eight. Going from the Seven or Eight to the Ten the difference in sound quality is the Ten has a fuller, smoother and less harsh sound (on the upper end) than they do.

Definitive Technology:Front Height - Mythos Gem XL
Front - Mythos ST-L, Center - Mythos 10 & 8
Side Surround - Gem XL
Back Surround - Gem XL
Sub - Supercube Ref, SVS SB13 Ultra, SVS SB16 Ultra
There can never be enough music
post #5913 of 5958 Old 08-19-2017, 02:51 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
7.2.4 Setup help

I have a room that measures 17' x 11' x 7' - 4"and I am going to set it up for 7.2.4 Dolby atmos using all mythos speakers and 4 in ceiling def techs. I plan to use mythos 10's for the front left, center and right. I was thinking of using mythos Gem XL's for the side and rear surrounds.

Either way I will have 1 sub in the front and 1 in the back for the deep bass, so I was thinking that the XL's would be fine for the rear and side speakers vs upgrading to a larger mythos 9 for the sides and rear.

Part of me thinks having the mythos 9's as side and rears would almost look dis-proportionally large vs the ceiling height of the room. Also the mythos 9's are direct speakers vs the Gem XL's that have angled drivers that disperse the sound over a broader area that may help with creating a larger sweet spot due to my narrow room width of 11'

Any thoughts or experiences?

Thanks

Last edited by jjlynch723; 08-19-2017 at 03:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5914 of 5958 Old 08-20-2017, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjlynch723 View Post
I have a room that measures 17' x 11' x 7' - 4"and I am going to set it up for 7.2.4 Dolby atmos using all mythos speakers and 4 in ceiling def techs. I plan to use mythos 10's for the front left, center and right. I was thinking of using mythos Gem XL's for the side and rear surrounds.

Either way I will have 1 sub in the front and 1 in the back for the deep bass, so I was thinking that the XL's would be fine for the rear and side speakers vs upgrading to a larger mythos 9 for the sides and rear.

Part of me thinks having the mythos 9's as side and rears would almost look dis-proportionally large vs the ceiling height of the room. Also the mythos 9's are direct speakers vs the Gem XL's that have angled drivers that disperse the sound over a broader area that may help with creating a larger sweet spot due to my narrow room width of 11'

Thanks

I have three mythos nines across the front with dual symmetrical Supercubes II's up front and Gem XL's in the rear. 5.2 setup. I am very pleased with the performance. Bass is full and very well balanced all throughout my room which is similar in size to yours. My room 23L x 17W x 7H. My seating position is about 16-17 feet away from my TV and speakers. Since your room is narrow, I agree that unless you have some space between you and the side speakers you may not hear a direct radiating speakers as well the diffuse pattern that the XL's will give. Depending where your seating position is you can probably get away with fewer speakers in a space that size. Once crossed over with subs, the mythos speakers can really be cranked easily to reference levels. I have rocked out with my setup of many times. Friends are always blown away when they experience my setup and the "you are there" feeling and volume I get when playing concerts. I bought a Pioneer SC-99 for Dolby Atmos. I plan to have a 5.2.2 setup. Just have not gotten around to installing the in ceiling speakers yet. Getting wires into my ceiling is not going to be an easy task. What speakers are you thinking about adding for Atmos?
post #5915 of 5958 Old 08-20-2017, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcavila View Post
I have three mythos nines across the front with dual symmetrical Supercubes II's up front and Gem XL's in the rear. 5.2 setup. I am very pleased with the performance. Bass is full and very well balanced all throughout my room which is similar in size to yours. My room 23L x 17W x 7H. My seating position is about 16-17 feet away from my TV and speakers. Since your room is narrow, I agree that unless you have some space between you and the side speakers you may not hear a direct radiating speakers as well the diffuse pattern that the XL's will give. Depending where your seating position is you can probably get away with fewer speakers in a space that size. Once crossed over with subs, the mythos speakers can really be cranked easily to reference levels. I have rocked out with my setup of many times. Friends are always blown away when they experience my setup and the "you are there" feeling and volume I get when playing concerts. I bought a Pioneer SC-99 for Dolby Atmos. I plan to have a 5.2.2 setup. Just have not gotten around to installing the in ceiling speakers yet. Getting wires into my ceiling is not going to be an easy task. What speakers are you thinking about adding for Atmos?
Thanks for the input. My seating is about 9' from the screen so almost in the middle of the room. For atmos, I bought the DI5.5R from Definitive to match the size of my can lighting in the room
post #5916 of 5958 Old 08-20-2017, 07:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks
I agree also that the XL's will do a great job. I have them for Front Height, Sides and Rear. Once setup correctly they seen to disappear but help fill the room as they should and more!! I've thought about adding ceiling speakers for Atmos but not sure if it is worth the extra effort it will take to run the wires.

Side Surround - Gem XL
Back Surround - Gem XL
post #5917 of 5958 Old 08-23-2017, 11:33 AM

Quote:
I agree also that the XL's will do a great job. I have them for Front Height, Sides and Rear. Once setup correctly they seen to disappear but help fill the room as they should and more!! I've thought about adding ceiling speakers for Atmos but not sure if it is worth the extra effort it will take to run the wires.
Thanks, I think Im going to roll with the XL's for surrounds and rears vs the 9's
post #5918 of 5958 Old 08-23-2017, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Thanks, I think Im going to roll with the XL's for surrounds and rears vs the 9's
Another vote for the xl. I use them as surrounds and front heights. Capable little speaker that sounds as good as it looks lol. Hope you enjoy them.

Harmony Elite, UN65F9000 with SEK-3500, Denon X4300H, Denon 2500BTCI, HR54-500, C51-100, C61K-700, Xbox 360, Chromecast 2.0, Mythos ST, Mythos Ten, Mythos Gem XL, Supercube Reference, Belkin PF60, Tartan and Monoprice cables, Zone 2/3 AW5500.
post #5919 of 5958 Old 11-18-2017, 08:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Good Day,

Can anyone recommend a budget receiver for these speakers? I recently acquired a set from a friend who got stationed overseas. He left these to me since they are huge to move. I'm really new to this AVR so I apologize. I am currently looking at Sony STR DN1080 receiver since it is currently on sale from Amazon. Will this receiver be enough? I'm not planning to add any additional speakers/sub in the near future, just these 2 Mythos STL.

Please advise and Thank you so much..

Al
post #5920 of 5958 Old 11-18-2017, 12:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1448 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by abubooy View Post
Good Day,

Can anyone recommend a budget receiver for these speakers? I recently acquired a set from a friend who got stationed overseas. He left these to me since they are huge to move. I'm really new to this AVR so I apologize. I am currently looking at Sony STR DN1080 receiver since it is currently on sale from Amazon. Will this receiver be enough? I'm not planning to add any additional speakers/sub in the near future, just these 2 Mythos STL.

Please advise and Thank you so much..

Al
Your best to look for something that is advertised near or over 100 w/ch, while these speakers will work with less, the 90-100 w/ch receivers will tend to be the next tier up from entry level when it comes to their internal components.
Once you've found these options, then simply choose for the features that work for you such as configuration (5.1, 7.1, 5.1.2) and other features like 2nd zone or whole house audio.

Another good resource is Accessories-4-Less, they have manufactures referb's at incredible prices, with warranties, and a stellar reputation.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html
post #5921 of 5958 Old 12-01-2017, 11:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 664 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Has anyone here compared Mythos 9 or 10 against Parading Millenia 20/30?
post #5922 of 5958 Old 12-10-2017, 12:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I just finished a couple of weeks of putting together a new home theater system:

LG OLED65B7A
Denon AVR-S730H
Front: Mythos Ones
Center: Mythos Three
Surrounds: Mythos Twos
Subwoofer: VTF-15H MK2

Rear Surrounds (once I get some extra wiring done): another pair of Mythos Twos

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the way it sounds for HT and music. Not top tier, but pretty solid. The sub is freakin amazing.

I picked up the Mythos Three and four Mythos Twos for $460, which seemed like a pretty killer deal. I paid $350 for the pair of Ones.

Is there anybody out there who is running (or has run Mythos Ones with both the Three and Eight in the center, that can tell me if the upgrade from Three to Eight has much value?

Thank you all for being such a great resource for HT system info - its been fun reading and learning!
post #5923 of 5958 Old 03-10-2018, 05:21 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 7
What do most of you set your crossover for the mythos 9 as a center and mythos sts as front left and right?
post #5924 of 5958 Old 03-14-2018, 03:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdizzle77 View Post
What do most of you set your crossover for the mythos 9 as a center and mythos sts as front left and right?
I don't think I've really looked once Audyssey finishes the Automatic setup. Everyone's room my warrant a different crossover point being different sizes too.

Side Surround - Gem XL
Back Surround - Gem XL
post #5925 of 5958 Old 05-26-2018, 10:04 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Deleted ....

>>>>>

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-spe...l#post56250910

Last edited by NOBELOVE; 05-27-2018 at 12:51 PM.
post #5926 of 5958 Old 05-28-2018, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Will I notice much difference going from a Procenter2000 to a Mythos 10 as a center channel?! I have a small room (around 1500 cubic), everything is on the wall (I know, not the best). If anyone has gone from the PC2000 to the Mythos 10 for center channel, please chime in!!

Samsung 65" KS8000 TV, Denon AVR-x3300w, Definitive PM1000 front LR, and PC2000 center, SR-8040BP rears, SVSOUND PB10-NSD subwoofer

Last edited by seanmcd72; 05-28-2018 at 08:42 AM.
post #5927 of 5958 Old 07-02-2018, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So gentlemen I am replacing my kef kht6000 LCR and need a new L/C/R, here are the speakers I have been looking at, What is my best bet?(i have 2 supercube 3s) and the Elite SC-LX501 Receiver.

Mythos 6
Mythos 5
B&W 684 S2
Klipsch RP-260F
Klipsch R-28
Definitive BP6
Klipsch RP-250F
SVS Primetower

thank you

Last edited by akafadar; 07-02-2018 at 12:39 PM.
post #5928 of 5958 Old 07-09-2018, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Unhappy Mounting Mythos 10s IN wall instead of ON wall

Folks,

Planning to buy three Mythos 10s for LCR from a friend for about $2K. Intended for on wall, but that may prove to deliver a low WAF rating. Has anyone mounted these "IN" the wall? Is there a good way to mount them IN the wall (between the studs) and with some kind of paint-matched-to-the-room/wall screen over top? Would I have to fabricate some kind of enclosure to pull this off?

We won't have a dedicated media room so I'm trying to have a solid 7.1 experience in our family room. WAF importance is HIGH. The wall is pure drywall (likely with some insulation) with our tandem garage right on the other side (so I can poke through if absolutely necessary).

Open to suggestions. Thank you!

Last edited by ilbarbaro; 07-10-2018 at 05:55 AM.
post #5929 of 5958 Old 07-16-2018, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilbarbaro View Post
Folks,

Planning to buy three Mythos 10s for LCR from a friend for about $2K. Intended for on wall, but that may prove to deliver a low WAF rating. Has anyone mounted these "IN" the wall? Is there a good way to mount them IN the wall (between the studs) and with some kind of paint-matched-to-the-room/wall screen over top? Would I have to fabricate some kind of enclosure to pull this off?

We won't have a dedicated media room so I'm trying to have a solid 7.1 experience in our family room. WAF importance is HIGH. The wall is pure drywall (likely with some insulation) with our tandem garage right on the other side (so I can poke through if absolutely necessary).

Open to suggestions. Thank you!
I have never seen them mounted in wall. The brackets that come with them are for wall mount. That is a wall mounted 10 centered under the screen on my profile picture.

Side Surround - Gem XL
Back Surround - Gem XL
post #5930 of 5958 Old 08-17-2018, 05:44 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmcd72 View Post
Will I notice much difference going from a Procenter2000 to a Mythos 10 as a center channel?! I have a small room (around 1500 cubic), everything is on the wall (I know, not the best). If anyone has gone from the PC2000 to the Mythos 10 for center channel, please chime in!!
I have done this and still have both in separate rooms. IMO they sound somewhat similar but the Mythos Ten spreads the sound out more directionally it seems. Almost like the FOV is larger for lack of a better term. Cant really say the Ten was worth twice the cost, but it does seem louder since its throwing the sound out "wider" and therefore I kept it because I needed that effect in that particular room.

post #5931 of 5958 Old 09-08-2018, 07:04 PM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Definitive Technology Mythos Series Thread

Considering upgrading the CLR speakers in my dedicated HT.

I currently have a 7.1.4 setup running all Def Tech speakers except the sub.

The CLR are XTR 60 and all the surrounds and atmos are UIW RSS III speakers. The sub is a Klipsch R-115SW.

Im finding that the XTR are lacking depth and while the Klipsch has fantastic bass, ld like to get a bit more bass from the front speakers.

Before I upgrade, ill do some sound treatment in the room first just to be sure its not the room echo fooling with me!

I was looking at the ST-L speakers. What would go well with them if I replace my center channel? Thanks for any insight or thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5932 of 5958 Old 09-09-2018, 06:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lithiumus View Post
Considering upgrading the CLR speakers in my dedicated HT.

I currently have a 7.1.4 setup running all Def Tech speakers except the sub.

The CLR are XTR 60 and all the surrounds and atmos are UIW RSS III speakers. The sub is a Klipsch R-115SW.

Im finding that the XTR are lacking depth and while the Klipsch has fantastic bass, ld like to get a bit more bass from the front speakers.

Before I upgrade, ill do some sound treatment in the room first just to be sure its not the room echo fooling with me!

I was looking at the ST-L speakers. What would go well with them if I replace my center channel? Thanks for any insight or thoughts.

The Mythos Ten (10) blends with them very well!

Side Surround - Gem XL
Back Surround - Gem XL
post #5933 of 5958 Old 09-09-2018, 07:27 PM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
The Mythos Ten (10) blends with them very well!

Excellent!

post #5934 of 5958 Old 09-09-2018, 07:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by lithiumus View Post
Excellent!

I just bought 3 Mythos 10s to replace my SM65s and CS8080 because I am putting in an AT screen. I was very impressed with the 10 vs the CS8080. I have the CS8080 crossed at 80 because I have 2 dual 15" subs upfront on the sub in the 8080 really doesn't help. I actually thought the 10 sounds the same or slightly better.

Lowell

The MarvelAtmos Home Theater: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...e-theater.html
post #5935 of 5958 Old 09-15-2018, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Def Tech Speaker advice

Hello,

I am looking for suggestions on Def Tech wall mountable front left and right speakers for my 5.1 home theatre. I have a Mythos 9 Center and two Mythos XL's for my rear surrounds. I am considering the Mythos 2 or 6 or the Pro Monitor 1000 or D-7. The room is 20X20 and I have a Monolith 12 subwoofer.

LG-OLED 65C8PUA
Marantz-SR5012
Sony-UBP X-800, Roku Ultra 4K
Front L&R-Monitor Audio Silver 300's, Center-MA Silver C350, Surrounds-MA Silver FX
Sub Woofers-Paradigm Reference Millenia (2)
post #5936 of 5958 Old 10-02-2018, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Hello, Those of you with Mythos 9's across the front (or anyone who has experience with 9's) I have a question.

I have just replaced my Mythos XL's from front right and left with Mythos 9's and moved the XL's to the rear. My question is since the 9's do not disperse the sound as the XL's did do I have to angle the 9's toward the main seat? The wall mounts are flush mount so there does not seem to be an option. The 9's are about 7 feet apart and the seating position is about 10 feet from the speakers.

Thanks,
PG55

LG-OLED 65C8PUA
Marantz-SR5012
Front L&R-Monitor Audio Silver 300's, Center-MA Silver C350, Surrounds-MA Silver FX
post #5937 of 5958 Old 10-03-2018, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG55 View Post
Hello, Those of you with Mythos 9's across the front (or anyone who has experience with 9's) I have a question.

I have just replaced my Mythos XL's from front right and left with Mythos 9's and moved the XL's to the rear. My question is since the 9's do not disperse the sound as the XL's did do I have to angle the 9's toward the main seat? The wall mounts are flush mount so there does not seem to be an option. The 9's are about 7 feet apart and the seating position is about 10 feet from the speakers.

Thanks,
PG55

I have the same speaker setup. I have three 9's across the front and gem XL's for surround. On a side note I added Def Tech ceiling speakers for Atmos. It is awesome! Back to the 9's, I have mine placed horizontally on shelves. They are slightly higher than ear level. You sit closer than I do. I'm about 14 feet away in my prime listening position. I think you are going to get much better clarity and detail from the 9's due to the non disperse sound. I don't have mine pointed to a specific spot and they sound great. I also have dual SuperCubes. Everything driven by a Pioneer SC-99. Very satisfying sound system. Here's a pic of my setup.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-10-03 12.33.40.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	590.2 KB
ID:	2463424  
post #5938 of 5958 Old 10-03-2018, 01:35 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcavila View Post
I have the same speaker setup. I have three 9's across the front and gem XL's for surround. On a side note I added Def Tech ceiling speakers for Atmos. It is awesome! Back to the 9's, I have mine placed horizontally on shelves. They are slightly higher than ear level. You sit closer than I do. I'm about 14 feet away in my prime listening position. I think you are going to get much better clarity and detail from the 9's due to the non disperse sound. I don't have mine pointed to a specific spot and they sound great. I also have dual SuperCubes. Everything driven by a Pioneer SC-99. Very satisfying sound system. Here's a pic of my setup.
Awesome setup!
I wall mounted mine last night so I have the 9 horizontally as the center with the other 2 9's along the side of the TV (I will send pics). WOW! As you mentioned the sound is much more crisp and direct than the XL's were and I am hearing sounds I hadn't heard previously. The XL's in the rear blend in really well and with the dispersion fill in the entire listening area with great effects.

Next step...Atmos in the ceiling...

Thanks for your feedback
PG55

LG-OLED 65C8PUA
Marantz-SR5012
post #5939 of 5958 Old 11-14-2018, 01:50 PM

Front heights

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteJ View Post
Another vote for the xl. I use them as surrounds and front heights. Capable little speaker that sounds as good as it looks lol. Hope you enjoy them.
Hello,

I have noticed several posts referring to front height speakers. I currently have a 5.1 system and I am considering adding 2 ceiling speakers. With the growing popularity of Dolby Atmos I was considering adding the ceiling speakers above the seating area in the ceiling. Many of you have front heights and seem to be happy with that set up. Is Dolby Atmos better? Can you tell me the difference in front heights vs. top middle (Atmos) and which you prefer?

Thanks,
PG55

LG-OLED 65C8PUA
Marantz-SR5012
post #5940 of 5958 Old 11-14-2018, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member

Being used to 5.1 when watching an action movie when something flies from front to back you hear it move front to back. Side surroundings when added define which side the action goes pass. Dolby Atmos adds more definition to let the sound flow with the video action. If something flies over head the ceiling speakers will let the sound flow front to back but overhead. It should sound like you are right under whatever flies over.

I have thought about adding ceiling speakers but don’t feel like going through the task of running speaker wire through the ceiling of a finished basement. Good luck with your decision and if you add the ceiling speakers I don’t think you will be disappointed.
PG55 likes this.

Side Surround - Gem XL
Back Surround - Gem XL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology Bp8 Tower Loudspeaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 6 Aluminum Stand , Definitive Technology Mythos 1 Tower Speaker , Definitive Technology Mythos St 120v Supertower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos Sts 120v Supertower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Bp7006 120v Tower Speaker Single Right Channel Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 4 Tower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 5 Tower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 7 Center Speaker , Definitive Technology Mythos 3 Center Channel Speaker Single Black , Speaker Systems , Definitive Technology , Definitive Technology Mythos Xtr 50 On Wall Or Shelf Mounting Ultra Thin Loudspeaker Black

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page