Definitive Technology Mythos Series Thread - Page 199 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 20Likes

post #5941 of 5958 Old 11-14-2018, 03:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I've got 7.1.4 and at the suggestion of various Atmos threads, I installed the front and rear Atmos speakers. It definitely adds a level of detail and immersion that I have never experienced before. While I don't have direct experience with just one set of Front Atmos speakers, I can tell you that having 4, 2 in front of the seating area and 2 behind, really spreads out the above sounds.

Soundtracks like Hacksaw Ridge, I felt like I was on the battle field with bullets zipping by around and above me. I was watching War for the Planet of the Apes and the scene where they were walking in the forest while it was lightly raining... I could hear the rain drops all around me but also hitting the leaves above... I got goosebumps!

I suspect that Hacksaw Ridge would probably sound fine with 2 front Atmos speakers but War for the Planet of the Apes would not sounds as convincing as the rain drops would be above but only in front... but to be honest, I find that the sides and rear are harder to pinpoint location detail generally speaking so ymmv.

I've got 3 x Mythos XTR 60 in front and 8 x In-wall RSS II for all my surrounds and Atmos. I'm considering upgrading the XTR 60s but we will see if the future budget allows...
Maddmaster and PG55 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5942 of 5958 Old 12-20-2018, 10:36 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 4
What left and right sorrounds would you all get to go with a pair of st towers and mythos 10 center? I currently have a pair of gems but plan to use those as rear channels when I pick up new sorrounds. Let me know your thoughts
post #5943 of 5958 Old 01-01-2019, 04:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by F80Penn View Post
What left and right surrounds would you all get to go with a pair of st towers and mythos 10 center? I currently have a pair of gems but plan to use those as rear channels when I pick up new sorrounds. Let me know your thoughts
I started out with Gems for the sides and back. I upgraded all surrounds to XL's.

Definitive Technology:Front Height - Mythos Gem XL
Front - Mythos ST-L, Center - Mythos 10 & 8
Side Surround - Gem XL
Back Surround - Gem XL
Sub - Supercube Ref, SVS SB13 Ultra, SVS SB16 Ultra
There can never be enough music
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5944 of 5958 Old 02-23-2019, 08:26 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 39
As a follow up

Just wanted to state that I have made a few minor changes to the set up. I was able to get onto the Oppo UDP-205 list and have added it into the system with a pair of MonoPrice Monolith R&L audio cables. The sound quality of this combination through the Marantz receiver to the STL's is really, really good. I played "Hang" from Matchbox 20's debut album through this system from the UDP-205 for several people and they have marveled at it. Time from Pink Floyd is "Make the hair stand up on your arm" good as well. For the first time in my life I am completely content with the system I have to play music and movies through. These speakers are really something else.

If it sounds and looks good, it sounds and looks good!!
post #5945 of 5958 Old 07-17-2019, 05:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Does anyone know if the Mythos Ten has been discontinued? They seem out of stock everywhere.

--
Spoiler!
post #5946 of 5958 Old 07-17-2019, 06:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedDemon View Post
Does anyone know if the Mythos Ten has been discontinued? They seem out of stock everywhere.
Looking at the DefTech website it is still current but like you I checked the net and it’s hard to find. Even on Amazon. It may be coming to being discontinued.

Side Surround - Gem XL
Back Surround - Gem XL
post #5947 of 5958 Old 07-17-2019, 08:31 PM
Advanced Member

Definitive Technology Mythos Series Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddmaster View Post
Looking at the DefTech website it is still current but like you I checked the net and it’s hard to find. Even on Amazon. It may be coming to being discontinued.

If so, I wonder what the intended replacement product is...

--
Spoiler!
post #5948 of 5958 Old 07-18-2019, 06:11 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddmaster View Post
I saw the same status on the Def Tech site; I emailed them . Here's the response:

Subject

Mythos Series

Response By Email (Customer Care Team) (07/15/2019 11:58 AM)
Hello ,

Thank you for contacting Polk Audio, we value you as a Polk customer and appreciate the opportunity to be of assistance!

Regretfully, the Mythos line is fully discontinued.

So there's that..
SpeedDemon likes this.
post #5949 of 5958 Old 07-18-2019, 07:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew76 View Post
I saw the same status on the Def Tech site; I emailed them . Here's the response:

Subject

Mythos Series

Hello ,

Thank you for contacting Polk Audio, we value you as a Polk customer and appreciate the opportunity to be of assistance!

So there's that..
I see one on eBay mythos ten for $399 + $25 shipping. That’s a good price.

Side Surround - Gem XL
Back Surround - Gem XL
post #5950 of 5958 Old 07-19-2019, 05:40 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew76 View Post

Subject

Mythos Series

Hello ,

So there's that..

Wow. Even the floor standing speakers discontinued?! Showing everything as back ordered is a bit misleading. I guess they are not selling well anymore? Mythos speakers have been regarded as some of the best sounding speakers in the business for a very long time. So are they going to be exclusively bi-polar designs? I have three 9's across the front, with dual supercubes, gem XL's for surround and DI 5.5R in ceiling for Atmos. My setup sounds fantastic and plays as loud and hard as I want all while being superbly detailed and musical. I imagined some day they would finally upgrade the line with new drivers and I would upgrade my setup. I have always felt the Mythos line was the flagship in sound accuracy and design. There must be something new about to be released to freshen the line with a new series/flagship name. As they say.. End of an era.
SpeedDemon likes this.
post #5951 of 5958 Old 07-19-2019, 08:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 2222 Post(s)
Liked: 1746
The Legacy (discontinued) product page is a bit confusing but all of the Mythos speakers are listed there.

I might type 2K for 1080p.
UDP-203/ATV4K(6,2)/X3500H/LG C8
post #5952 of 5958 Old 07-19-2019, 04:36 PM

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcavila View Post
Wow. Even the floor standing speakers discontinued?! Showing everything as back ordered is a bit misleading. I guess they are not selling well anymore? Mythos speakers have been regarded as some of the best sounding speakers in the business for a very long time. So are they going to be exclusively bi-polar designs? I have three 9's across the front, with dual supercubes, gem XL's for surround and DI 5.5R in ceiling for Atmos. My setup sounds fantastic and plays as loud and hard as I want all while being superbly detailed and musical. I imagined some day they would finally upgrade the line with new drivers and I would upgrade my setup. I have always felt the Mythos line was the flagship in sound accuracy and design. There must be something new about to be released to freshen the line with a new series/flagship name. As they say.. End of an era.
I also have 3 Mythos 9's across my front stage with 2 Mythos XL's in the rear all wall mounted. It sounds amazing!

When I did my search for speakers several years ago I could not find a wall mounted speaker that even came close to the Mythos series.

I hope they come out with an upgrade of some kind that are similar and wall mountable.

LG-OLED 65C8PUA
Marantz-SR5012
Sony-UBP X-800, Roku Ultra 4K
Front L&R-Monitor Audio Silver 300's, Center-MA Silver C350, Surrounds-MA Silver FX
Sub Woofers-Paradigm Reference Millenia (2)
post #5953 of 5958 Old 07-20-2019, 01:20 AM
Advanced Member

Definitive Technology Mythos Series Thread

I was able to get three Mythos Ten speakers for front L/C/R channels just in time then. I’m not seeing them listed anywhere. I found them in an eBay auction on close-out.

I also got a couple Mythos Gem speakers for L/R surrounds and am planning on installing a couple DI 6.5R in-ceiling as Atmos channels. Should make for a nice family room 5.1.2 Atmos setup.

I might even add a second sub if I can track down another JL Fathom f110.

I wonder what the back story is in discontinuing them. They’re fantastic speakers.

--
Spoiler!

Last edited by SpeedDemon; 07-20-2019 at 02:59 AM.
post #5954 of 5958 Old 08-01-2019, 05:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Other than STL all other speakers were pretty old and behind times. I only regret that they cancelled STL - it is really good competitive speaker but probably did not sell well for $5000. Yeah first they killed OPPO and now STL and I own both of them they both are beautiful and truly high end. STS and etc - I do not really care - they should kill them anyway.

Source/Dac/Pre: OPPO-105
Fronts: Benchmark AHB2 -> DefTech Mythos ST-Ls
Surrounds: Parasound Halo A23 -> DefTech Mythos Gems
post #5955 of 5958 Old 08-04-2019, 04:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsetter View Post
Other than STL all other speakers were pretty old and behind times. I only regret that they cancelled STL - it is really good competitive speaker but probably did not sell well for $5000. Yeah first they killed OPPO and now STL and I own both of them they both are beautiful and truly high end. STS and etc - I do not really care - they should kill them anyway.
What on-wall speakers currently in production surpass the Mythos Ten (in the same price range)?

--
Spoiler!

Last edited by SpeedDemon; 10-27-2019 at 02:42 PM.
post #5956 of 5958 Old 10-26-2019, 08:36 PM
Advanced Member

Looking online I am glad I didn't sell my spares. I have a pair of Mythos ST Towers, 2 pair of Gems and I think a CS3000 sitting as spares in case I blow something. I always keep an AV Receiver and a couple power amps in the spare bend too knowing how I can get outrageous at times pushing the limits.

Good hunting to those searching.

Side Surround - Gem XL
Back Surround - Gem XL

Last edited by Maddmaster; 11-02-2019 at 08:42 PM.
post #5957 of 5958 Old 10-27-2019, 03:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 2222 Post(s)
Liked: 1746
I got irked and gave my 5.0 Mythos system to a friend after explaining the circumstances. They've upgraded from television speakers and I'm not irked so win - win.

I might type 2K for 1080p.
UDP-203/ATV4K(6,2)/X3500H/LG C8
post #5958 of 5958 Old 12-01-2019, 06:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by F80Penn View Post
What left and right sorrounds would you all get to go with a pair of st towers and mythos 10 center? I currently have a pair of gems but plan to use those as rear channels when I pick up new sorrounds. Let me know your thoughts
I am using 4 PM1000s with 3 Mythos 10s across the front. Great match.
Maddmaster likes this.

Lowell

The MarvelAtmos Home Theater: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...e-theater.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology Bp8 Tower Loudspeaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 6 Aluminum Stand , Definitive Technology Mythos 1 Tower Speaker , Definitive Technology Mythos St 120v Supertower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos Sts 120v Supertower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Bp7006 120v Tower Speaker Single Right Channel Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 4 Tower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 5 Tower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 7 Center Speaker , Definitive Technology Mythos 3 Center Channel Speaker Single Black , Speaker Systems , Definitive Technology , Definitive Technology Mythos Xtr 50 On Wall Or Shelf Mounting Ultra Thin Loudspeaker Black

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page