**Official EMP Owner's Thread** - Page 274 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1120Likes

post #8191 of 8267 Old 08-23-2018, 09:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Hey guys,

I've been following this thread for awhile but I don't post much. I'm just a newbie when it comes to audio compared to many of you. So my home theater room is 20x23x10 and I'm looking to pick up the new RBH Impression series two r55 towers, one r515 and two r5 bookshelfs, especially since they are having an awesome sale. I may pick up subs from either HSU or SVS.

I'm looking for recommendations on whether these would be sufficient for my room size and I'm open to any recommendations on other brands. My budget is about 2k including a sub(s). Currently running a 7.2 Yamaha rx-v775 with a 5.2 BIC acoustech set up (I know..lol) but my wife is letting me upgrade as a bday gift.

Thank you for your help guys, I appreciate all your knowledge shared here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8192 of 8267 Old 08-23-2018, 05:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1941 Post(s)
Liked: 2091
Mr clean...the new impression series are very good, I have heard (or more accurately, haven't heard personally, but heard from some reviews)...for 2G, you will likely get 5 speakers and two good sub. Your room is huge so you will likely need two good 12 inch or a really good 15-18 inch sub...
My recommend...get the R515 x3 and two R5...that will be around 800 dollars with their current 10% off on systems. That leaves you 1200 for two good 12 inch subs. Rythmiks LV12R is 549, so you could get two of those.

Set up #1: EMP e5Ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, SVS NSD SB12 sub, Marantz Slimeline 1504 AV receiver
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and EMPtek10i10i sub, Denon 1910 AV receiver
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only, Yamaha RXV-363 AV receiver
post #8193 of 8267 Old 08-23-2018, 05:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1726
2nded. Rythmik for the bass quality, dual for better bass response throughout the seating area.
Mr_clean817 likes this.

HT: Samsung PN64H5000 (recommended settings) | NAD T758 V3 | Buchardt S400 (2) | Polk LSiM 702 F/X (2) | Infinity RS152 (4) | Subs TBD (2)
PC: Micca OriGen G2 | Mackie MR624 (2)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8194 of 8267 Old 08-24-2018, 11:44 AM

Elihawk and Soulburner,

Thanks for the information, much appreciated! Those Rythmiks are real nice looking, especially the FV series.
post #8195 of 8267 Old 08-30-2018, 08:11 AM

Received my new Impression's yesterday and did a quick sound check. These bad boys sound nice!
Zorba922 likes this.
post #8196 of 8267 Old 08-30-2018, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_clean817 View Post
Received my new Impression's yesterday and did a quick sound check. These bad boys sound nice!
Duh! Lol.
Mr_clean817 likes this.

65" JS9500, Marantz 7702MKII, Parasound Halo A31, ClassDaudio SDS470 4ch, RBH R56, 4xRBH R55, 2x RBH R5, Hsu VTF 2 MK 3 and VTF 3 for subwoofage, 1" OC 703 for room treatment.
post #8197 of 8267 Old 08-30-2018, 01:19 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 225 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7250 Post(s)
Liked: 5555
Quote:
Photos and a more details would be greatly appreciated, whenever you get a chance.
Mr_clean817 likes this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #8198 of 8267 Old 08-30-2018, 02:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

yep, you know the AVS rules...pictures or it didn't happen! And some detailed "impressions" of the Impressions would be nice, when you get a chance!
khurramtm and Mr_clean817 like this.

Set up #1: EMP e5Ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, SVS NSD SB12 sub, Marantz Slimeline 1504 AV receiver
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and EMPtek10i10i sub, Denon 1910 AV receiver
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only, Yamaha RXV-363 AV receiver
post #8199 of 8267 Old 08-30-2018, 05:03 PM

Pictures for now... Sorry guys, using my phone so I can't get the photo rotated correctly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180830_192908.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	504.1 KB
ID:	2448844  

Last edited by Mr_clean817; 08-30-2018 at 06:35 PM.
post #8200 of 8267 Old 09-12-2018, 11:41 AM

Just wanted to do a quick follow-up. I haven't really had time to watch any movies or do any listening sessions in the movie room lately, so no real updates regarding sound quality. There were a few things I wanted to comment on. First is the initial quality- fit and finish was good, not great but then again for this price range, I'm not sure where it should fall. I purchased the phantom black which is just wrapped in a black vinyl.

Upon initial inspection when I received them, I noticed a few little scuffs around the frame of a couple of the drivers. Not too big of a deal I suppose as it's more cosmetic. I also noticed the vinyl was kinda peeling at some corners, again, may not be too big of a deal but I guess I may have been expecting better? This is my first time purchasing speakers in this price range, so my expectations may have been a little higher.

Lastly, I noticed the torx screws used aren't exactly black in color. Almost looked like greenish black coating once I put a flashlight to them. I don't know if RBH purposely chose these in this color to make them stand out more but to me it appeared as if they cheaped out a bit in this area but what do I know, I'm just newbie when it comes to audio. I do notice all the little details though and ppl tell me it's probably due to my line of work; auditor. Don't take this the wrong way, I'm not complaining as I'm happy with my purchase, just wanted to provide everyone with my initial visual impression's. Anyone with the current or previous Impression series notice the same thing?
post #8201 of 8267 Old 09-12-2018, 03:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

mrclean, I can't speak to your impressions of the exterior of the new Impressions, as I haven't seen them. However, the original impression series was very good quality at the price range...not perfect, mind you, but very good! I bought all of my Impression series from RBH/EMP as B stock...but never found much in the way of imprefections...of course, my dog knocked on speaker over and put a nice blemish in it!

Btw, my Philharmonic BMR speakers, 1500/pr, aren't perfect either...

Last edited by Elihawk; 09-12-2018 at 03:18 PM.
post #8202 of 8267 Old 09-12-2018, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post
mrclean, I can't speak to your impressions of the exterior of the new Impressions, as I haven't seen them. However, the original impression series was very good quality at the price range...not perfect, mind you, but very good! I bought all of my Impression series from RBH/EMP as B stock...but never found much in the way of imprefections...of course, my dog knocked on speaker over and put a nice blemish in it!

Btw, my Philharmonic BMR speakers, 1500/pr, aren't perfect either...
Thanks Elihawk...

I reached out to RBH regarding the blemish on the driver frame and also just to ask about the color of the screws (I know, they are just screws) lol.. RBH has been very responsive and said the greenish color was due to humidity and/or too much oil during the black oxide process. They even offered to find darker looking screws to replace mine. That's awesome customer service but I advised them not to worry and that overall they looked good and sounded great!

Last edited by Mr_clean817; 09-12-2018 at 08:03 PM.
post #8203 of 8267 Old 09-13-2018, 03:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

EMP/RBH has great customer service...
vicdvp likes this.

post #8204 of 8267 Old 09-13-2018, 08:54 PM

Quote:
EMP/RBH has great customer service...
Yes they do. They forgot to ship my sub with foam port plugs so I emailed them, they had them shipped to me within just a couple days.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #8205 of 8267 Old 09-13-2018, 10:50 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I just received my order from RBH today. I was going to go with the 515E for LCR but then changed over to getting their in wall Visage/MC series the VM-616 with sealing back boxes inside the wall. Crossing my fingers that its what Im looking for, as I wanted more power for HT in a large living room. I was told that the 515E wouldnt quite fill the space. Which be comparing specs it looks about that way. Anyone on here ever have any of there VA/Visage in wall speakers?

Sony XBR75X900F - Denon X3400H - 5.1.2 w/ RBH Visage VM-616 LCR In-walls - SVS Prime Satellite Surround - RBH VM-615 In-ceiling/Atmos - Sub: HSU FTV-15H Mk2 - RTI T3X Remote - ATV 4K
post #8206 of 8267 Old 09-14-2018, 08:26 AM

Weird thing happened yesterday. I had a chance to run the ypao calibration on the new Impression's (the tower's and center), still using the BIC surrounds as I need to find some wall mounts for the RBH bookshelves. So after I ran the calibration, it said the towers were out of phase/reversed. I checked every single wire to ensure positive went to positive and negative went to negative. Ran Ypao again, same msg.

So..I usually listen to music using 2 channel mode or if watching a movie, I use either straight or surround decode. I happened to try the 7 channel mode for music and sure enough, the towers DID appear to be out of phase. I ended up swapping the positive to negative and negative to positive only on the tower's and everything blended together so much better. Anyone have any ideas why this would be?

I thought they sounded pretty good when I initially tested them out but now, so much better! Also, can you guys help me with recommendations for wall brackets or something to mount my two R5 bookshelves? They have bracket holes that are about 2 inches apart. I've been searching and can't seem to find anything and I'd prefer not to create new holes.
post #8207 of 8267 Old 09-14-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Weird thing happened yesterday. I had a chance to run the ypao calibration on the new Impression's (the tower's and center), still using the BIC surrounds as I need to find some wall mounts for the RBH bookshelves. So after I ran the calibration, it said the towers were out of phase/reversed. I checked every single wire to ensure positive went to positive and negative went to negative. Ran Ypao again, same msg.

So..I usually listen to music using 2 channel mode or if watching a movie, I use either straight or surround decode. I happened to try the 7 channel mode for music and sure enough, the towers DID appear to be out of phase. I ended up swapping the positive to negative and negative to positive only on the tower's and everything blended together so much better. Anyone have any ideas why this would be?
It's possible that there could have been an error at the factory with the speaker cable binding post polarity indicators were reversed. Wouldn't surprise me. Good thing that you tried swapping out the wires first.

post #8208 of 8267 Old 09-14-2018, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

yes, Zorba has the most likely explanation...make sure and let RBH know, so they can correct the defect. I know RBH makes a lot of their own drivers, but they might "outsource" the cabinets and assembly...

post #8209 of 8267 Old 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 427
Quote:
Just wanted to do a quick follow-up. I haven't really had time to watch any movies or do any listening sessions in the movie room lately, so no real updates regarding sound quality. There were a few things I wanted to comment on. First is the initial quality- fit and finish was good, not great but then again for this price range, I'm not sure where it should fall. I purchased the phantom black which is just wrapped in a black vinyl.

Upon initial inspection when I received them, I noticed a few little scuffs around the frame of a couple of the drivers. Not too big of a deal I suppose as it's more cosmetic. I also noticed the vinyl was kinda peeling at some corners, again, may not be too big of a deal but I guess I may have been expecting better? This is my first time purchasing speakers in this price range, so my expectations may have been a little higher.

Lastly, I noticed the torx screws used aren't exactly black in color. Almost looked like greenish black coating once I put a flashlight to them. I don't know if RBH purposely chose these in this color to make them stand out more but to me it appeared as if they cheaped out a bit in this area but what do I know, I'm just newbie when it comes to audio. I do notice all the little details though and ppl tell me it's probably due to my line of work; auditor. Don't take this the wrong way, I'm not complaining as I'm happy with my purchase, just wanted to provide everyone with my initial visual impression's. Anyone with the current or previous Impression series notice the same thing?
Quote:

I thought they sounded pretty good when I initially tested them out but now, so much better! Also, can you guys help me with recommendations for wall brackets or something to mount my two R5 bookshelves? They have bracket holes that are about 2 inches apart. I've been searching and can't seem to find anything and I'd prefer not to create new holes.
My 515s do not have the cosmetic issues you describe. It sounds like they have moisture damage, I'd ask for replacements. I've also had auydessy and mcacc give me phase errors on multiple sets of speakers, I usually ignore such errors.

Living Room: Pioneer Elite SC-85 | RBH R-515 LCR | Morel Surrounds | DIY 12" Infinity Subs w/ Inuke 3000

Bedroom: Pioneer Elite VSX-99 | Polk Audio S15 | Pioneer SW-8
post #8210 of 8267 Old 09-16-2018, 10:14 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 24
WTB - EMP E41-B speakers. If you have a pair and are looking to part with, I'd be interested in buying.

Thanks
post #8211 of 8267 Old 09-18-2018, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 703 Post(s)
Liked: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandtlj View Post
WTB - EMP E41-B speakers. If you have a pair and are looking to part with, I'd be interested in buying.

Thanks
For some reason the image that rbh has for the speaker is the EW25 On-wall Speaker, but when you go to the manual it shows as a bookshelf...

Last edited by gregoryperkins; 09-18-2018 at 11:38 AM.
post #8212 of 8267 Old 09-27-2018, 06:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

First professional review I have seen of the "E" version...
https://www.audioholics.com/tower-sp...iews/rbh-r-55e

post #8213 of 8267 Old 09-27-2018, 06:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Seem like in an attempt to make the old impression series a little less "treble low"...they seem to have made it a little treble high! Whether that is good or bad, depends on your ears!

Last edited by Elihawk; 09-27-2018 at 07:33 AM.
post #8214 of 8267 Old 09-27-2018, 06:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

That might have been the most negative positive review I have ever read. Not really complaining, especially since most audio reviews are decidedly positive and it is refreshing to read some critical comments...

post #8215 of 8267 Old 09-29-2018, 11:08 AM

Hey guys,

I figured out what was causing the phase issue, it was the receiver. Apparently the receiver does something funny where if I have the center speaker set to small and towers to large and using 7 channel mode, with correct polarity on all speakers, it throws the towers out of phase. However, if I have everything set to large, they are all in phase. I prefer to have the center set as small, therefore switching the polarity on the back of the towers is no issue. Prior to figuring this out, I did call RBH and spoke with a gentleman by the name of Shane. He advised me to do a few tests and to follow back up with him as to what I found, which I did. At first I didn't know who Shane was, thought it was just an employee there to provide me some customer service (great customer service nonetheless), but to find out this guy was the VP of engineering and he took the time to speak to me, it meant a lot. He didn't try to rush anything to get me off the phone, we just talked for a bit and I even asked him about his opinion on some receivers, which had nothing to do with my original issue. Super nice guy and very knowledgeable.

Wanted to also mention that I've had a few issues where the cloth material on the inner part of the grill frame was coming loose. At first I only noticed it on my R515 and reached out to RBH to see what I could do to fix it myself, I wasn't looking for a replacement but more of guidance. They said they would send me a replacement but said for me to check my other grills to see if any of the other ones had issues so they could send replacements for all of them. I did find that both my R5's also had the material coming loose in some areas. I'm thinking this is probably due to the type of adhesive they used and/or the surface area in which they apply the adhesive was just too small based on comparisons with other speaker grills I have. I asked if maybe they could just send me a bit of the adhesive instead as they didn't need to send me replacements, so I could repair them myself but they insisted on just sending replacements as it would be easier for both parties. Can't say enough about the level of service RBH has provided, truly awesome. It's hard to come across companies nowadays that provide this level of customer service.

Again, I haven't had much time to play around with my new speakers besides trying to figure out the phase issue. Been dealing with a lot of other issues lately and just haven't been in the movie room at all. I did, however, read audioholics review on the R55E's and since they are professionals, I'm sure their unbiased review and write up is much better than what I could ever say. I do agree with them regarding the lack of documentation as I didn't receive any either, so I don't know if this was a cost cutting measure as they have this information posted on their site for viewing.

But just from my short listening sessions with my Impressions (not the Elite versions), wide sound dispersion, clarity and low bass extension for what they are. One of these days I'm going to crank those bad boys up and see what they can do. Coming from the BIC PL89s where the horn tweeter was handling both mids and highs, these are a major step up for me. The only small regret I have is that I kinda wish I would have spent the extra cash to order the phantom blacks due to the vinyl peeling in some corners. I know there is a 30 day trial but the cost of shipping these back wouldn't even make sense anymore.

I agree with you Elihawk, audioholics write-up was a pretty negative positive review. It was a good read. Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!
darrob104 and Elihawk like this.
post #8216 of 8267 Old 10-02-2018, 12:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Hey guys,

I did call RBH and spoke with a gentleman by the name of Shane. He advised me to do a few tests and to follow back up with him as to what I found, which I did. At first I didn't know who Shane was, thought it was just an employee there to provide me some customer service (great customer service nonetheless), but to find out this guy was the VP of engineering and he took the time to speak to me, it meant a lot. He didn't try to rush anything to get me off the phone, we just talked for a bit and I even asked him about his opinion on some receivers, which had nothing to do with my original issue. Super nice guy and very knowledgeable.
I second this... Shane, and all the guys over at RBH are great! I'm fortunate enough to live just a couple of miles from RBH HQ and have purchased a 'few' speakers from them. I recently completed installing a 7.2.4 home theater system in my family room, and had design questions to sort out before i started cutting holes and running wires. I stopped in a few times, and the guys were always willing to sit down and look over my layout and answer questions about speaker placement, amp size, etc... Top notch customer service!
post #8217 of 8267 Old 10-02-2018, 02:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hey guys,

I figured out what was causing the phase issue, it was the receiver. Apparently the receiver does something funny where if I have the center speaker set to small and towers to large and using 7 channel mode, with correct polarity on all speakers, it throws the towers out of phase. However, if I have everything set to large, they are all in phase. I prefer to have the center set as small, therefore switching the polarity on the back of the towers is no issue. Prior to figuring this out, I did call RBH and spoke with a gentleman by the name of Shane. He advised me to do a few tests and to follow back up with him as to what I found, which I did. At first I didn't know who Shane was, thought it was just an employee there to provide me some customer service (great customer service nonetheless), but to find out this guy was the VP of engineering and he took the time to speak to me, it meant a lot. He didn't try to rush anything to get me off the phone, we just talked for a bit and I even asked him about his opinion on some receivers, which had nothing to do with my original issue. Super nice guy and very knowledgeable.

Wanted to also mention that I've had a few issues where the cloth material on the inner part of the grill frame was coming loose. At first I only noticed it on my R515 and reached out to RBH to see what I could do to fix it myself, I wasn't looking for a replacement but more of guidance. They said they would send me a replacement but said for me to check my other grills to see if any of the other ones had issues so they could send replacements for all of them. I did find that both my R5's also had the material coming loose in some areas. I'm thinking this is probably due to the type of adhesive they used and/or the surface area in which they apply the adhesive was just too small based on comparisons with other speaker grills I have. I asked if maybe they could just send me a bit of the adhesive instead as they didn't need to send me replacements, so I could repair them myself but they insisted on just sending replacements as it would be easier for both parties. Can't say enough about the level of service RBH has provided, truly awesome. It's hard to come across companies nowadays that provide this level of customer service.

Again, I haven't had much time to play around with my new speakers besides trying to figure out the phase issue. Been dealing with a lot of other issues lately and just haven't been in the movie room at all. I did, however, read audioholics review on the R55E's and since they are professionals, I'm sure their unbiased review and write up is much better than what I could ever say. I do agree with them regarding the lack of documentation as I didn't receive any either, so I don't know if this was a cost cutting measure as they have this information posted on their site for viewing.

But just from my short listening sessions with my Impressions (not the Elite versions), wide sound dispersion, clarity and low bass extension for what they are. One of these days I'm going to crank those bad boys up and see what they can do. Coming from the BIC PL89s where the horn tweeter was handling both mids and highs, these are a major step up for me. The only small regret I have is that I kinda wish I would have spent the extra cash to order the phantom blacks due to the vinyl peeling in some corners. I know there is a 30 day trial but the cost of shipping these back wouldn't even make sense anymore.

I agree with you Elihawk, audioholics write-up was a pretty negative positive review. It was a good read. Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!
one thing to consider...if these are in a true theater, which will be reasonable dark...who cares what they look like! However, i want the speakers in my living room to look good!
Mr_clean817 likes this.

post #8218 of 8267 Old 10-02-2018, 05:20 PM

Quote:
one thing to consider...if these are in a true theater, which will be reasonable dark...who cares what they look like! However, i want the speakers in my living room to look good!

I agree, they are in my dedicated home theater room and you wouldn't be able to see these minor issues unless you were inspecting them with all the lights on. It's just my OCD kicking in.
post #8219 of 8267 Old 10-18-2018, 07:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicdvp View Post
I just received my order from RBH today. I was going to go with the 515E for LCR but then changed over to getting their in wall Visage/MC series the VM-616 with sealing back boxes inside the wall. Crossing my fingers that its what Im looking for, as I wanted more power for HT in a large living room. I was told that the 515E wouldnt quite fill the space. Which be comparing specs it looks about that way. Anyone on here ever have any of there VA/Visage in wall speakers?
Any impression of these speakers?

post #8220 of 8267 Old 10-18-2018, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Any impression of these speakers?

I haven’t installed them as there has been lots of work going on in the main living room and I’ve been fishing wire in and have all speaker locations prepped. I will be firing them up next week so I’ll post back here and let you know. As far as build quality then seem to be robust, the Dual 6.5” woofers on the LCR look similar to their Signature series (Im pretty sure it’s not the same but none the less).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sony XBR75X900F - Denon X3400H - 5.1.2 w/ RBH Visage VM-616 LCR In-walls - SVS Prime Satellite Surround - RBH VM-615 In-ceiling/Atmos - Sub: HSU FTV-15H Mk2 - RTI T3X Remote - ATV 4K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Emp , Emp Tek , Emp Tek E10s Subwoofer , Emp Tek Ef30c Center Speaker , Emp Tek Ef30t Tower Speakers , Emp Tek E55tir Tower Speakers , Emp Tek Ef30 Bookshelf Speakers , Speaker Systems

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page