Recommendations for large room - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bruins29

post #1 of 13 Old 02-20-2009, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My room is 22x24 with 11ft ceilings and wood floors, TV on one wall with primary listening area almost center of room. I guess it's a blessing but an accoustics challenge for me. When I read these forums (gaining a great deal of knowledge) I see that most folks are dealing with much smaller rooms.
I'm looking for recommendations based on my 40/60 (Music to HDTV) listening pattern, I would like to stay around $700 for speakers - I consider starting with just 2 towers and a sub, I will also be purchasing a new AVR so I'm not limited to a particular receiver. The Energy C-300 towers seem to be a good deal now - not sure if it fits my application.
Thanks all in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-20-2009, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The specs you indicate are around 5000 cubic feet. Does this room open into other rooms or is it sealed (IE you have to open/close a door to enter/exit all portions of the room)?

Are you wanting to pressurize the room or are you just wanting quality sound at low/moderate listening levels?

The price range you are wanting to spend for front 2/sub is in the ballpark of an individual trying to fill a room about 1/2 to 1/3 the size of yours.
post #3 of 13 Old 02-20-2009, 12:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 25
if you get the Energy's, go on and get a matching center channel speaker as the "C" line will be discontinued (and thus all the great sale prices). They will probably be a little small for your room.

Large rooms need "cone area" to push a lot of air. Towers are good at providing larger speakers (or multiple smaller ones) to help fill the volume.

some possibilities:
http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_...products_id=96
http://www.saturdayaudio.com/ click on "Deals" and look at the PSB T45 towers - consider the center channel as well to match the finish of the T45's
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...air-NEW/1.html and http://www.accessories4less.com/make...ack-NEW/1.html

subs
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...n-Black/1.html
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/stf-2.html
possibly two of these http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-392

good luck, but you will need to "expand" your budget a bit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 02-20-2009, 12:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 11
Might be a good idea to budget for a big rug as well.
RayGuy likes this.
post #5 of 13 Old 02-20-2009, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
>>>The specs you indicate are around 5000 cubic feet. Does this room open into other rooms or is it sealed (IE you have to open/close a door to enter/exit all portions of the room)?

One side (rear) has an arched opening about 8 ft.

>>>Are you wanting to pressurize the room or are you just wanting quality sound at low/moderate listening levels?

Low/moderate level is acceptable

>>>The price range you are wanting to spend for front 2/sub is in the ballpark of an individual trying to fill a room about 1/2 to 1/3 the size of yours.

I would consider the 3/4 fill (and beg the 'boss' for the additional $$). I really appreciate everyone's replies, I'm trying to avoid getting something that is inadequate for the room, I much rather wait - unless there is a sale hard to pass.
post #6 of 13 Old 02-20-2009, 01:41 PM

I am no expert I am just basically repeating the common mantra that I have read on this forum by individuals that know vastly more than myself. This being said the 8' opening at the back of the room leads into another room of what dimensions? The size of the next adjacent open room(s) impact the intended listening area.

Generally people make a diagram of their room dimentions including adjacent rooms. People here might be able to help you find an adequate system for your space but probably not in your price range.

You may want to start off with a good front 2 that handles mid bass 40hz ish up well and add a sub in the future to handle the sub 40hz. Then add in a center and surrounds as you can afford them. There are definitely some good options for a front pair in your price range.
post #7 of 13 Old 02-20-2009, 06:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 812 Post(s)
Liked: 427
You will need to play with sub placement. A square room is very tough.

Depending on the listening levels and impact you desire your budget will need some adjustment even for to mains (L/R) and sub.

Sorry...

Mike Miles
[email protected]
post #8 of 13 Old 02-21-2009, 01:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Go for decent bookshelves and build a 15" DIY sub (a sonotube to make it easier), for a bit over your budget. Forget the towers in that price range imo, if you care about sound quality, I'd never buy towers below 1.5k a pair. But if you must, may be these are ok. An assembled sub good enough for your room size will not fit in your budget alone, nevermind speakers, imho.
EDIT If you can build cabinets or know someone who can, I'd recommend building these from a $500 kit. I'd guess they would sound similar to salk song tower RT in many ways, and offer an incredible level of SQ compared to most mainstream products under $2k. Having built a speaker from a kit I can say it is not too complicated and pretty much everyone can do it, apart from building a cabinet - that's the only difficult, time consuming and tools/skills demanding part..
post #9 of 13 Old 02-21-2009, 11:29 PM
Ray
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
These little known speakers are hard to find but well worth searching for a dealer to demo them. I guarantee your mind will be blown from the huge detailed dynamics that this modest size speaker can achieve with so little power in a huge room. For home theater applications these speakers are fantastic but what really threw me for a loop was the awesome performance in direct 2 channel. The Episode LCR650 is not much to look at with its galaxy black semigloss finish but build quality is exceptional and performance is out of this world considering its price category.

The Episode LCR650's bare a striking resemblance to the Klipsch KL-650THX speakers and they share many performance similarity's as well which is no coincidence. When I listen to these I immediately think KL-650THX but less aggressive on the top end, deeper on the bottom end, a little less dynamic but more focused. If you can find a place to demo them take some really good 2 channel material with you, a complex music track with female vocals would be the ticket and don't be shy with the volume, these bad boys they will knock your socks off.

Episode HT-650LCR High Performance Home Theater Speaker

The Episode HT-650LCR is our flagship home theater speaker. The HT-650LCR features high-performance components in a design perfect for in-cabinet installation in home theaters. The open, dynamic output of our 4-1/2" ribbon tweeters and dual carbon fiber woofers will impress even the most critical listeners.

Episode™ Home Theater LCR Speaker (Black)

The Episode HT-650LCR is our flagship home theater speaker. Created with the custom installer in mind it features high-performance components in a design perfect for in-cabinet installation in home theaters. The open, dynamic output of our 4-1/2" ribbon tweeters and dual carbon fiber woofers will impress even the most critical listeners.

Dual 6-1/2" Woven Carbon Fiber Woofers and High-output Planar Magnetic Ribbon Tweeter
When designing the Episode flagship HT-650LCR speakers we sought out the best materials and drivers we could find. The result of those many hours of testing and research is a speaker that delivers incredible performance at a remarkable price. The two 6-1/2 inch woofers feature woven carbon fiber cones for incredible detail, powerful motor structures for high-output capability and shielded magnets for ultimate placement compatibility. The 1" x 4-1/2" planar magnetic ribbon tweeter features incredible efficiency and detail. The long, slender ribbon design allows for very wide horizontal coverage which ensures the entire room is filled with sound and creates a very large "sweet spot". The design also limits the energy that is sent toward the floor or ceiling. This eliminates reflections off those commonly hard surfaces that can seriously degrade the sound of an otherwise great system.

Screen EQ and Boundary Compensation Switches
The HT-650LCR speakers were meant to be installed in custom cabinetry, such as the Old Camden Cinema Cabinet, or built into theater walls for discrete, high-performance sound. Some of the "tools" we included in the design of the HT-650LCR include front-mounted switches for Screen EQ and Boundary Compensation. Enabling the Screen EQ results in 3dB more output above 3kHz to compensate for placement behind a perforated screen or heavy grille cloth. The Boundary Compensation mode employs a shelf filter that will cut 3dB below 80Hz. This helps eliminate any "boominess" that may result from placing the speaker in tight quarters such as a corner or small cabinet.

Custom Tweeter Positioning
The HT-650LCR speakers are designed to be used "standing up" with the tweeter in a vertical orientation. But we all know there will be installations where an 18" tall speaker might not fit. That's why we designed the front-mounted port tube and the tweeter to be the same size and shape. For tight spaces simply remove the 6 screws from the port and tweeter and swap their positions. Now the ribbon tweeter is optimized for the speaker to be installed "laying down". Perfect for tight Center speaker locations.

Dual Gold Plated 5-way Binding Posts
Allow for bi-wiring or bi-amping for the ultimate in performance and dynamic range. They accept up to 12 gauge wire easily.

Keyhole Mount
Want to use the HT-650LCR on the side or rear of the theater and don't have a cabinet to put them in? No problem. Every HT-650LCR comes with a keyhole mounting feature that allows for simple, safe and secure on-wall installation.

Click Here for the HT-650LCR User's Manual

Specifications
Woofer: Dual 6-1/2" Woven Carbon Fiber Woofers with Butyl-Rubber Surrounds.
Tweeter: 1" x 4-3/4" Planar Magnetic Ribbon Tweeter
Power: 50 - 200 Watt
Nominal Impedance 8 ohms
Frequency Response: 70 Hz - 20 kHz
Sensitivity - 1 Watt / 1 Meter 95 dB
Adjustments: Screen EQ and Boundary Compensation
Color: Black
Grill Type: Removable Cloth
Weight: 27 lbs.
Finished Dimensions: 18-1/4" H x 12-1/4"W x 12"D
Sold As: Each
Comparable Products: Niles StageFront Pro2770LCR, Klipsch KL-650-THX, PSB CHS60

Matching surround

Episode™ Home Theater Surround Sound Speakers (Pair | Black)

The Episode™ HT-525SURR Surround Sound Speakers are a superb choice for most every type of home theater audio application. Side and back installations will greatly enhance your movie and music experience. Coupled with a 5.1/7.1 Surround sound receiver and matching Episode HT-650 LCR speakers will result in a dynamic and realistic home theater.

Dual 4" Woven Carbon Fiber Woofers and High-output Planar Magnetic Ribbon Tweeter
The Episode™ HT-525SURR speakers feature dual high-output carbon fiber woofers with butyl rubber surrounds and shielded motor structures. The planar magnetic ribbon tweeters provide unparalleled clarity and controlled dispersion to provide depth in detail in every movie soundtrack. Ribbon tweeters of this type have a very wide horizontal dispersion to create a large sweet spot, or ideal listening area.

Bi-Pole / Di-Pole Switch
Flexibility to adjust the speakers for the listeners choice, Bi-pole is excellent setting for music while di-pole is the full enveloping sound used by commercial movie theaters.

Dual Gold Plated 5-Way Binding Posts
Allow for bi-wiring or bi-amping for the ultimate in performance and dynamic range. They accept up to 12 gauge wire easily.

Keyhole Mount
Do you want to use the HT-525SURR on the side or rear of the theater but don't have a cabinet? No problem. Every HT-525SURR comes with a keyhole mounting feature that allows for simple, safe and secure on-wall installation

post #10 of 13 Old 05-11-2009, 12:36 PM

Excellent information and comparison. Can you also list some dealers that carry Episode and MSRP?
Thanks for the help.
post #11 of 13 Old 02-12-2019, 12:19 PM

Liked: 0
Episode HT-650LCR

I bought a triple set of these in emmaculate condition for $400.00! These were set up as R&L with a third one configured tweet vert. so it can work as a center. I took them home and could not belive the deal I got after I set them up. I would love to classify myself as an audiophile but It would be a lie. I've been involved enough in the industry to know that there are certainly better speakers out there. But you can also spend 70 to 80K on one speaker if you want to. I have heard a 100K system in a perfectly set up room. With 14K or 14 ft. Kimber cable to the drivers. I get it! on my budget! I'm looking for a great deal for the best sound I can get. Speaking in terms the bang for the buck, these are fantastic! I've heard planar ribbon tweets before, but never owned a set. These things really sing! I have some mid grade PSB's which sound really clean. this is what these 650LCR's are replacing. Huge upgrade! I didn't realize what I was missing! Not to knock the PSB's. I helped many friends with home theater projects and simple stereo systems and I was always happy with my setup when I went home. But this really was a serious upgrade. I have read various opinions on the episode brand before I decided to buy and I realize these are slightly used and possibly not made anymore? (not sure?) But I would trust this brand after hearing these speakers. They are tight and clean. I listen to a lot of old 80's stuff. I have a higher end Yamaha AVR Advantege receiver. (nothing to crazy) I played fast car by Tracy Chapman to start of with. She seemed to be in concert in front of me, I was amazed. I listened to "money for nothing" Dire Straits for the dramatic guitar stuff. I picked it out pretty well. And that song is really loud if you want it to be! I don't think I have ever heard that song better. I then picked out Peter Gabriel "Sledgehammer" I love the way these speakers work, mixing the voice and orchestra in that song. They are loud and clear! best way to describe these! But they were also peaceful and easy to listen to a little yaght rock this morning also. These are a great sounding speaker and they remind me of the look of a much more expensive MK. (Which I have heard before) they are nice but not cheap. Next step, find me some rear surrounds. Wow! can't wait to get home from work to watch a movie!
post #12 of 13 Old 02-12-2019, 12:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 1066
Back to the OP of 10 years ago, if he could've time-tunnel'd to a LSiM 707 close-out....

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B
post #13 of 13 Old 02-12-2019, 01:06 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8585 Post(s)
Liked: 5784
Quote:
Originally Posted by ton007 View Post
My room is 22x24 with 11ft ceilings and wood floors, TV on one wall with primary listening area almost center of room. I guess it's a blessing but an accoustics challenge for me. When I read these forums (gaining a great deal of knowledge) I see that most folks are dealing with much smaller rooms.
I'm looking for recommendations based on my 40/60 (Music to HDTV) listening pattern, I would like to stay around $700 for speakers - I consider starting with just 2 towers and a sub, I will also be purchasing a new AVR so I'm not limited to a particular receiver. The Energy C-300 towers seem to be a good deal now - not sure if it fits my application.
Thanks all in advance.
You can get a HSU Hybrid 1 package for $775 and when the time comes add a second sub, center and surrounds.

The 6.5" woofers and controlled directivity horn are very dynamic and don't need a lot of power to play very loudly.

Two VTF1s (when the time comes) have almost as much volume headroom as a single HSU 15' VTF3 in the important 40-80hz range but won't dig as deep below that but still have plenty of 'oomph" for movies based on listening to the single VTF1 at my sister in laws in a very large space.

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/hybrid1pkg.html

http://www.hsuresearch.com/reviews.html#hb1

Geoff A. J., California
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page